• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Perfect FF for me:

A class based system like FF 3 or 5 buy set in the world of Ivalice, able to have characters of the different races

gantrain05

Smash Master
why is it that we still have mainstream video games being total crap, why does final fantasy suck now? i think the problem isn't all on the developers, its the consumers willing to drop 60 bucks on a brand new game even if that game is a pile of ****. its like people have accepted this one formula for how a video game should be so developers just do the same thing over and over and over....and it SELLS, stop buying **** games, maybe they'll fire their staff and get some people in there with some imagination and make some games that don't suck.

don't get me started on Diablo III and how terrible and shallow that game is, or CoD, or Halo, or really like 90 percent of ****, im just pissed that i haven't been able to look forward to a new release in so very long. to be honest i was so frickin excited for starcraft 2, but then i got it...it was bad, they changed everything that made sc and broodwar fun.

oh and with FFXIV.....at least a realm reborn looks like it could be ok, but i still don't consider it a final fantasy.

-endrant

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
You really don't understand how studios and publishers work.

For the AAA titles you described, the publishers make a lot of the orders. They decide the final say
And when games are finished, the staff could already be laid off, just because that is how the industry works. You stay on for a project at some companies and then get laid off. Some studios don't do that, but many can be filled by maaany people. Think of how much money gets set aside just to hire on a bunch of modelers at a studio.

And the whole games suck mentality....well it's all a matter of opinion. 'Hardcore' gamers tend to think more highly of their opinions and want enriching experiences from games. I'm sleepy so I can't really remember the terms for the other categories of gamers....so don't quote me on stuff. But conquerers are a type that want to just win. I think that would be a good subset to put the AAA 'fanboys' into....maybe with a mix of casual gamer. The hardcore people take games more seriously and have more of a stake on the game itself, while the other subsets might not feel the same way. Doesn't make one group right or wrong, but each type of gamer has a different perspective on what makes a good game, what they want from the experience, and what games they ultimately go after. And developers/publishers target these categories of gamers when they make games.

Idk if this made sense and it probably didn't because I'm like....half asleep. But yeah games woooo

And I do agree CoD is bleh because of studio and publisher drama that hurt a lot of developers
That and the fact they reused outdated models for MW3 from MW2. That was awful. Plus, I personally am awful at fps games so they don't really pique my interests

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I am failing to see where he makes any statements on studios or publishers, or really anything to imply he doesn't understand "how they work".

Either way, the industry is pretty much full of incompetent morons and people who clearly have no idea what the **** they are doing. **** like Tomb Raider somehow not selling enough when it did as well as anyone could expect Tomb Raider to do, ****ing statements about how they added a cover system and removed supernatural elements for more EMOTIONAL SYNCHRONIZATION, etc. really hammer in my belief that there's no reason to accept the current state of big name games.

The biggest issue I have easily is not just something as simple as OH DERE GAMES SUCK, it's more how ridiculously homogenized most releases are, and it's not actually working for quite a few devs. But hey whatever Call of **** sells guys let's just try to copy that! Add a multiplayer mode and some other **** to increase the budget! Oh boy we didn't make our money back, I guess that's because no one cares about the IP let's kill it!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
So many hurt feelings in here, good grief. And crying over the "current state of video games," whatever that is.

Also, I like XIII.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
So many hurt feelings in here, good grief. And crying over the "current state of video games," whatever that is.

Also, I like XIII.
Yes, how dare I complain about bad business practices in the videogame industry as someone who wants to become a game designer.

On a video game forum.

Gosh.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
"Great games are made by artists, not by technicians" - Hiroshi Yamauchi

That and the big brass needs to stop interfering in creative decisions. It's what ruins so many things. Big brass crunch numbers, market, do all that kind of ****, and it's definitely an aspect that is required and welcomed. It is, however, nothing but cancerous when it gets too involved in the creative process. Deadlining and target setting within a reasonable degree are great, because giving devs too much room to breathe is also usually counter productive, but **** like "WE GOTTA HAVE THIS GUYS BECAUSE ___ AND WE PAY THE BILLS SO DO IT" is exactly why Spiderman 3 was such garbage.
WE GOTTA HAVE VENOM

We already wrote the whole scri-

WE HAVE TO HAVE VENOM

But it won't make sen-

**** YOU RAIMI AND CO WE NEED VENOM OR YAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHR... FAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRD DAMMIT

***** film that makes no sense is made*

I mean they tried their best to salvage it, but it was still garbage, and it wasn't even the writers'/director's fault.

But seriously though, we need a cover system.

In the last 15 years, FPS has gone from this:

to this:

[/img]

Except now you don't even get light guns.

The change is analogous to pretty much every genre out there, welcome to THE NEXT GEN. *waves arms and does the Peggle 2 splits*

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Okay I don't give a **** if this is a double post, this forum's Rich Text Edior is complete ****ing garbage bull**** now since Xenforo and I'm going to make a point about how bad it is by making this double post out of spite. That thing literally wrecked my post and even after editing it all back it then decided to re**** it.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People can do whatever they like, it doesn't make it any less tiresome.
That's not exactly a fair thing to say. This thread is designated to complaining about things that bother you. People complain about all kinds of stuff in here that is usually quite silly or cliché, that's generally what goes on in a venting area. "Wah I'm so alone" "baw my bf that". Just let it be, and if you have a problem with what's being said or something to say in general, make it more than "wow stop whining", because that's sort of exactly what this place is for.

If you take exception to what's being said, offer an actual rebuttal that explains your stance rather than dismissive and passive aggressive single sentence remarks.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Have you guy ever had that one person that you have so much hatred for, that you absolutely want to hurt them very badly(almost want to kill)?

I have never EVER thought that way about anyone in my life.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Have you guy ever had that one person that you have so much hatred for, that you absolutely want to hurt them very badly(almost want to kill)?

I have never EVER thought that way about anyone in my life.
It's not a good path to take.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'm sad
And I'm bad at telling loved ones that I'm sad
So I just hide it
So for the third or fourth day in a row I'm sitting here, curled up on my bed crying in the dark so not to worry my family

I just don't want to feel sad for no reason

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's been a while, unhappy thread.

I'm tired of my annoying habit of becoming easily jealous.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
That and the big brass needs to stop interfering in creative decisions. It's what ruins so many things. Big brass crunch numbers, market, do all that kind of ****, and it's definitely an aspect that is required and welcomed. It is, however, nothing but cancerous when it gets too involved in the creative process. Deadlining and target setting within a reasonable degree are great, because giving devs too much room to breathe is also usually counter productive, but **** like "WE GOTTA HAVE THIS GUYS BECAUSE ___ AND WE PAY THE BILLS SO DO IT" is exactly why Spiderman 3 was such garbage.
WE GOTTA HAVE VENOM
Then game developers need to stop relying on the "big brass" to get their products to market.

And gamers need to stop buying from big-name publishers and just buy more indie stuff.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
They need to rely on publishers in order to get money

We can't kick start everything

Game development on the indie level can be starving artist status
I'm currently doing concepts for a game and I'm not getting any money
And there is a chance I will never see money for my work

Indie development isn't always sunshine and rainbows
It's tears and sadness and hard work and usually not making the money back that you put into it.

You have to pay bills sadly. Employees if you have them need money. And not to mention software licensing. zBrush is 700. 3D studio Max and Maya both go for over 3000 and you have to pay for the yearly updates. Photoshop can be expensive, or you can pay the monthly adobe cloud fee. Game engines require royalties from time to time, or you have to pay for licensing all together from the get go. (Unreal is pay after 50k units iirc. It's my personal favorite)

I'd love for everything to be indie
The money just isn't there. For every super meat boy, there are tons of games that will never make that kind of money.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
They need to rely on publishers in order to get money

We can't kick start everything

Game development on the indie level can be starving artist status
I'm currently doing concepts for a game and I'm not getting any money
And there is a chance I will never see money for my work

Indie development isn't always sunshine and rainbows
It's tears and sadness and hard work and usually not making the money back that you put into it.

You have to pay bills sadly. Employees if you have them need money. And not to mention software licensing. zBrush is 700. 3D studio Max and Maya both go for over 3000 and you have to pay for the yearly updates. Photoshop can be expensive, or you can pay the monthly adobe cloud fee. Game engines require royalties from time to time, or you have to pay for licensing all together from the get go. (Unreal is pay after 50k units iirc. It's my personal favorite)

I'd love for everything to be indie
The money just isn't there. For every super meat boy, there are tons of games that will never make that kind of money.

All fair points.

Aren't there any suitable open-source substitutes for the programs that game companies use?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
All fair points.

Aren't there any suitable open-source substitutes for the programs that game companies use?

I think the short answer is no. Indie developers are best when it comes to inventive 2D games for the computer... it gets super complicated when you're talking about low-budget indie games for consoles, even for things like small downloadable games for XBLA or PSN.

Chronodiver's got the right of it... being and indie developer is hard.

Edit: Since this is the unhappy thread, I'll vent this little piece of relevancy.

I've been working on the same damned Flash game for over a year and a half now. That's not including the year spent on the previous aborted project.
Good thing I'm not being paid and expect no real money from it- otherwise I'd feel like I had a really sh***y job. Instead, I just have an aggravating hobby.

F***.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You don't need everything to go indie to stop supporting ****ty business practices.

I refuse to put a single cent into f2p games with total joke business models, for instance, because I refuse to eat ****. Also there are still decent games being made under publishers that aren't treated like they're going to be the next big thing, Dark Souls is a fine example of a product that didn't need much marketing and had a modest budget because they knew exactly who their market was.

Nintendo would be a real bastion of hope for AAA in my eyes if they weren't releasing the same ****ing **** over and over, it feels like I'm WAITING for them to give me enough incentive to buy a Wii U, and I'm not 100% sure Smash 4 is going to be that incentive until they can prove Sakurai's back to only pretending to have views on the game that matter.

Speaking of kick starting things, Double Fine is a joke! http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/03/double-fine-kickstarter-debacle/

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I only support indie developers on Kickstarter like Gears for Breakfast making A Hat in Time.

I hate it when professional studios decide to steal from their fans because their too lazy to find a publisher and then lie about what their doing.

That article doesn't even mention the worst part: Double FIne came back with a second Kickstarter that nabbed them over 1 million more dollars.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
All fair points.

Many of the actual game engines are free to use*.

......*if you have the money to pay for the premium editions, or if you will give them money later.

And I dont blame them. Game engines are crazy. Lots of programming and hard work goes into those programs. I'm an artist with minimal programming experience, so I cant really convey too much.....but seriously. The companies that create these game engines deserve the money.

Major 'open source' engines include:

Unreal (Unreal Development Kit) - Great industry standard; i like to refer to it as the 'make everything pretty' engine because the settings it runs on do improve how some models look. It's 'programming' is done through Python if i remember correctly and Kismet. Kismet is kind of like the material editor in 3D Studio Max but even more confusing. Unreal 4 is making Kismet easier for artists which is nice. (kismet sets up animations, materials, etc. All the snazzy stuff)
Unity - Unity is free and stuff and they have a pro version too. I dont know many of the licensing stuff for Unity but its the bane of my existence and i dont really want to talk about this program for a while.
CryEngine - Yeah. You can download Crytek's wonderful engine. It's apparently really difficult to use though. I dont know licensing for this one either.
But man. is CryEngine pretttty.
Source - I know nothing about Valve's Source engine but you can download that too! Valve's programming is pretty legit, since they are a top tier software company.

For 3D, there's Blender. It's not ideal, and please DO NOT use the blender game engine. its less than ideal and just...dont do that to yourself.
A zBrush alternative would be Pixelogic's Sculptris. It's Pixelogic's free-to-use-zBrush-trial. It's definitely not as strong as zBrush....but it works I guess.

Many engines, though, are company specific. Squeenix's pretty little creation, the Frostbite Engine, and many other engines cannot be obtained for the public (by legal means. I dont recommend stealing. Seriously)

Also, if you are a student, you can get educational versions of software! Autodesk gives a 3 year educational license for their programs. You can't make money per say using the models >_> but its great for learning! Pixelogic probably offers some student discounts (I was lucky to win my copy >_> So freakin happy), and once you own zBrush, you get free updates for life! zBrush 4r6 is looking really good - zRemesher is great for quick and efficient retopos* from what Pixelogic is advertising! (*Retopologizing is taking a high res [high poly] model and making a lower resolution model. zBrush models are never used in game because some models can exceed 10 million tris. Note: game models for this generation have been maxing out at around 20k or maybe a bit more, save for anything by Naughty Dog. They really like their models higher poly).
Adobe gives discounts for their suite for students as well. Engines have educational copies (UNITY =__=)
You just have to be smart about buying software and take all of these monetary issues into account when developing.

That, and getting a good team. If you have a smart team of programmers, you can make your own engine. If you have seriously amazing modelers, you can get crazy stuff in freeware 3D programs. If you have great 2D artists, you can get some amazing concepts on paper with pencils. It's not ideal in the least, and it'll hurt, but seriously, work with what you got until you can afford the tools.
These tools aren't just programs: They're investments. If you want to be in industry, do your research on programs and stuff that you should get and what you can afford, depending on your specialty. I stopped 'finding' programs and now buy or take advantage of my student editions.
But, don't get what you do not need. I'm not going to shell out the money to buy something to benefit programmers - I'm a concept artist, texture artist, and modeler. I want to go for programs like zBrush, Photoshop, and some Autodesk programs (3DStudio Max - 3D modeling program and sister program to Maya. Its material editor is pretty good. Maya - another autodesk 3D program. It was merged into the company, which explains the 2 3D programs. It is exceptional for animation, rendering, character modeling, and more. It's a great program. Mudbox - Autodesk's hi poly sculpting program. I dont have much experience with it, but it's pretty cool)

/rant

I kind of went off on a tangent, but game development has super specialized programs and they are really important tools for development.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm probably going to shift to Unity next... I've been programming in Flash, trying to build my own engine up, but it's super sheisty. I think that's one of the first big lessons for a programmer to learn... do whatever you can to minimize how much work you end up doing, because damn. It's a big job.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Using actionscript i presume? xP

Unity is a good switch. It's a simple engine to use. I learned basic Javascript in Unity ("unityscript"....Unity's version of Java)
I mean, its far from the best
The asset import system is really simple - drag and drop! much easier than unreal (import asset by asset =__=)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... AS3. I love having the visual interface that Flash provides as far as linking instances goes, but I suspect Unity does all that just fine. Just, well, sucks spending years learning one language only to switch to another. AS may be based on C, but... well, that's kinda like saying that English is based on German.
Und Deutsch ist nicht so... easy.

Boo. I'm waiting for the programming system where you just hook up your brain and it just makes the game how you're imagining it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Hey we're both pissed.

I've been somewhat annoyed with Nintendo's blatant incompetence but this really takes the cake. "Please understand" my foot up your ass, Nintendo.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Landlord showed up with little to no warning (I got a text at 9am while asleep saying 'we are here to fix the wall')

Now we are all shut out of the bathroom because the landlord has to fix a mistake made while putting up the wall that is being blamed on us (contractor says there's no way it's our fault)
And it's more than likely in our lease that we need ample warning before she comes to fix things
The house is a mess right now cuz we just gt back from summer break and we have some friends staying over while they hunt down new housing

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think my cat has a urinary track infection or something

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone notice Froggy hasn't posted in a while?

I'd like to think he finally met the right girl, settled down and had a family.

Lived a fulfilling life and died at a ripe old age surrounded by loved ones

Top Bottom