• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
What college is this? This sounds ridiculous. I'm Christian, and this just sounds like hell.
Bob Jones University
http://www.bju.edu/

It looks so nice, pretty, and Christian on the outside, but ITS AN EVIL CULT ON THE INSIDE D: (What it seems anyway)

How they get over 3k students is beyond me.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It's also very, very Christian. I don't really mind that though, because I'm still a Christian. For some reason people think you can't be both gay and a Christian. That's not true at all... >.>
Yeah I find it stupid when people say you can't be gay and Christian. I'm Christian and I don't even try to bring up the issue with my gay friends because I believe "If I don't know what you're thinking how can I know what God is at this moment?" But then again there are seriously people who say dinosaurs don't exist because "it's not in the bible". Well computers and telephones exist, you use them every day and they aren't mentioned in the bible either.

That university sounds more like an institution for zealous Christian brainwash. Do they seriously expect their graduates to never encounter anything they've listed as banned? The people who manage that school sound like the people at my old church who accused me of nearly being a heretic for studying theology in other religions along with mythology and demonology.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate how Black Friday now starts on Thursday

Because I have to work on Black Friday, I don't get thanksgiving, because it's on Thursday now.

Who needs spending time with your family and friends celebrating everything in life you're thankful for while eating a large, delicious meal when I could be surrounded by violent, angry shoppers in a mob.

Fun

I think they are trying to get rid of Thanksgiving

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yeah Bob Jones university is scary
ugh

My friend and I did some research after another friend of ours (who happens to be gay) either used to go there or whose family wanted him to go there brought it up.

Even for someone who went to Catholic school for 12 years...that's scary.
Catholic school has nothin' on Bob Jones university.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I noticed at work they changed my schedule so that on alternating weeks I would be working less than 40 hours. This was the third strike in several agreements that were made during my interview last month. To name the two others the fact that I would be working in their hospital department and the second that there would be skill training for compounding and other techniques. I contacted an old employer and am working there part-time to compensate putting me around 60 hours considering both jobs. However, I'm aggressively pooling for a new job at this point. Having a worker to come in on a weekday to work for one hour is ridiculous, especially without any preface when that shift was normally a full eight hour shift. Compounding this with the fact that almost every other person in the same position as me has been 'stuck' in this job for several years without any pay scale improvement or position benefits makes me believe that there is no growth in this company and no reason for me to stay despite my extremely short time with them.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Bob Jones University http://www.bju.edu/ It looks so nice, pretty, and Christian on the outside, but ITS AN EVIL CULT ON THE INSIDE D: (What it seems anyway) How they get over 3k students is beyond me.
Non-selective admissions policy, misled parents sold on the religious hook, or the kids have no alternative because they messed up bad in high school.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Yeah I find it stupid when people say you can't be gay and Christian. I'm Christian and I don't even try to bring up the issue with my gay friends because I believe "If I don't know what you're thinking how can I know what God is at this moment?" But then again there are seriously people who say dinosaurs don't exist because "it's not in the bible". Well computers and telephones exist, you use them every day and they aren't mentioned in the bible either. That university sounds more like an institution for zealous Christian brainwash. Do they seriously expect their graduates to never encounter anything they've listed as banned? The people who manage that school sound like the people at my old church who accused me of nearly being a heretic for studying theology in other religions along with mythology and demonology.
I'm not surprised that a Christian wrote this, misleading rhetoric is their forte. To clarify, your refutation to their refusal of dinosaurs is irrelevant. That's because the type of believers you are talking about are young-earth creationists who push the Bible and the book of Genesis as being an objective account of how the world was made rather than adhere to theories stemming from science i.e. Urey-Miller, Primordarial soup, ect. Understanding this, your comment regarding computers and telephones is irrelevant because you can't fault a piece of literature for not predicting everything that happens in the future. You can only logically fault it for having any statement given as fact, but has been tested to be untrue.

You can't be gay and Christian. Being a Christian is living in context of the church. It's not a scholarly or objective faith, it is one that is framed by ignorance and by-word. Take for instance Leviticus 20:13 which states, ""If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13 KJV)." Christians use as little of their brain as possible and use their own misgivings to associate 'mankind' with being 'another man.' However the use of the word 'mankind' itself is vague and odd primarily because it stems from the Greek word ἀρσενοκοῖται which has been used contextually in the Bible to refer to both males and females and the verse as a whole is a point of scholarly debate. Christians do not care about scholarly exercise, their only interest in the text is to fuel their rhetoric. Homosexuals similarly vie for contextual acceptance and eagerly accept any news twisting scholarly research to establish a firm genetic basis for homosexual behavior although there is no strong evidence and little reason to believe in such a theory at the moment.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Also Sarix, God doesn't exist. If a 'God' existed it wouldn't fit the parameters established by the Christian church as an all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present entity that wants to have a personal relationship with mankind. To insinuate such would argue that God expected Catholic priests to carry on a tradition of molesting little boys and getting away with it for years. The go to defense for Christians is always that God has a 'greater plan' and 'everything happens for a reason.' The book of Exodus actually gives us a really good example of showing us how God's 'greater plan' is likely irrelevant to mankind. The Jewish people who were stipulated to be God's chosen people were kept in slavery by the Egyptians. For people who argue that God had a greater plan for them, I still see Jews suffering and aren't in any better position from having their ancestors enslaved oh so many years ago. Why did God make them suffer through slavery if there came a time when slavery didn't exist at all. Was Abraham Lincoln a prophet that was simply **** out a couple years later than expected? And for those who argue that the Hebrews are no longer the chosen people but now it extends to Christians, how is it any better following God than being his worst enemy.

Christians should be pitied for being so desperate that they turn to nothing for everything. Religion scams on the lower class, 'education' scams on the prospective 'middle class', and Wall Street rakes in from the wealthy collective i.e. pensioners who really believe that investors have any interest in improving the plight of their 401k's when they can individually make billions using their investment to run bad positions resulting in the investment bank making consistent profits on an annual basis. People need to believe in something, if there was no hope then the masses would riot. God forbid that happens. That actually might induce change in America rather than the simple step we took in establishing that we aren't a country holistically composed of racists.

ckap

Smash Rookie
Someone's an angry individual. Have you considered the possibility that while religion is improbable to say the least, it's not necessarily a bad thing? The concept of giving hope to someone and making someone happy regardless of the facts behind it seems like a pretty damned good idea to me.

I'm an atheist as well, but I do suggest you kindly calm the **** down and stop trying to push what you believe onto other people.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
That's weird because I didn't think that anything I typed came off as angry. Also I don't believe I made any reference towards religion being unilaterally bad. I won't deny that religion gives people hope and may placate some anxiety from their lives. However, I also won't deny that chocolate, alcohol, xanax, prostitutes, video games, and homicide could also give someone emotional happiness. Regardless of the speculative benefits it brings to a congregation, it doesn't change the fact that a 'Christian' God likely doesn't exist according to how such an existence is portrayed by modern Christianity especially when you contrast that with a holistic presentation of God in their Holy Bible.

Also you misappropriated me for being an atheist. I don't deny the existence of all gods, simply because I don't have the time or the means to familiarize myself with all religions or all scientific theories and working out for myself how life on this planet began. People don't have to agree with my position and I don't believe I would like it if someone took my words at face value. Presenting what you believe is entirely different than pushing your belief on others. If you feel that I imposed my beliefs on you then I'm sorry. However you should consider that you might be projecting someone else you know as me, because I don't understand the charged response to things I haven't written...

I can see how saying a Christian God doesn't exist can be seen as audacious because someone might feel offended. However, that still doesn't change the statement from being true.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I can see why ckap thought you were angry. You took my post that was only meant to console White Mage and basically ripped it to shreds and might as well spat in my face for what beliefs I choose to have. It may have not been intended to sound angry but it was unnecessarily aggressive and basically flat out rude considering I wasn't trying to argue facts and just be a pillar of support for someone else.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I can see why ckap thought you were angry. You took my post that was only meant to console White Mage and basically ripped it to shreds and might as well spat in my face for what beliefs I choose to have. It may have not been intended to sound angry but it was unnecessarily aggressive and basically flat out rude considering I wasn't trying to argue facts and just be a pillar of support for someone else.
I apologize for not grasping the underlying purpose behind that post. If I understood I wouldn't have touched your comment regardless of my own opinion.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
im in a rut and my patience with people is at an all time low and i feel like i am the worst artist ever and i cant do anything right
ugh
art blocks
i hate them

Vashimus

Smash Master
One of my dogs died last night. They were my grandma's dogs given to us when she died. It was only a matter of time, the day before he was barking for no reason trying to sleep and was so old he couldn't reposition himself, I tried to make him comfortable. When he finally did settle down, I knew he had just given up. I gave him a hug and went to bed. :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, kinda yeah.
Well, that IS sad

Edit:

I'm sad because I'm old enough that when I was young, I used cassette tapes and had a walkman

and in high school I used a CD player, although there WERE technically MP3 players available they weren't really main stream.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I'm becoming depressed again and it's for seemingly no reason

This has been going on for years but I've always told myself I'd rather deal with it by myself (or even just concede and be unhappy because it's easier) and my closest friends rather than get some sort of "help" or taking some medication (which I'm very against, I'd much rather be unhappy more often than I should be than take something with a million side effects that also causes weight gain and more suicidal urges or something that causes dependance.)

This isn't something I feel comfortable telling my girlfriend, pretty much the entirety of my family, and most of my friends. The fact that my parents don't know makes it worse because I can't tell them something like this and it would be overplayed if they knew. The lack of support doesn't help. Sometimes I sort of look at people hoping that someone will eventually understand and I won't have to say anything.

It's not the worst thing but for weeks at a time I just won't be myself and it's sad thinking about it. Especially because it's seemingly for no reason. It's not as bad as it used to be but it's been worse than usual as of late. To give myself credit I do have a fair amount of stressors in my life with college and expectations for myself but yeah, idk.

I'm usually a pretty relaxed person but I've developed some pretty bad stress and I think after dealing with this for so long now my coping and stress management skills are slowly dwindling

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
It looks like I having mt heater on for so long(12 hours) blew the electrical socket in my room. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed by restarting the circuit breakers because if not I imagine it will take my greedy, lazy, selfish landlord forever to get it fixed.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
It pisses me off that I can't go on Smashboards or eventhubs at work because of the net filter.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Work has screwed me over during final projects by overloading me with hours. Retail during Black Friday to Christmas = Equivalent of Hell. I hope to God I can get one or two of my shifts taken, I'm really afraid of potentially failing classes because I barely have time to work on them.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hope for the best. And that you don't get trampled.

At my last job, Easter was always the day hell broke loose. I've only had seasonal work during Black Friday, and even then it was usually working in a warehouse.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Work has screwed me over during final projects by overloading me with hours. Retail during Black Friday to Christmas = Equivalent of Hell. I hope to God I can get one or two of my shifts taken, I'm really afraid of potentially failing classes because I barely have time to work on them.
I feel your pain QQ

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
About five people just watched me try to parallel park for a good five minutes. The space was narrow, the person in front of me parked like a douche. Is this your version of free entertainment? Because you really need to get a life if so.

I hate to sound ****** but that was just so irritating after I came from an appointment that lasted 2 and a half hours and was supposed to take twenty

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
ITT: A compilation of first world problems.
Most definitely. I should be more thankful.

About five people just watched me try to parallel park for a good five minutes. The space was narrow, the person in front of me parked like a douche. Is this your version of free entertainment? Because you really need to get a life if so.

I hate to sound *****y but that was just so irritating after I came from an appointment that lasted 2 and a half hours and was supposed to take twenty
That sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

And Sarix, I wish you the best of luck. That also sounds just really unfortunate.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Bad time for this now. My Balance Board is choosing to disconnect frequently in the middle of cycling and I can't get a new one until Wii Fit U comes out.
Why Nintendo why?!? :( My favorite game too.

I'm also a little ambivalent more than upset that I recently stumbled into an equation I thought was undiscovered in the math world, turns out it's expressed differently but not used in the way I seen it. I'm not sure if it's worth submitting a paper or not, but I'm pretty sure it's not commonly used in math.

Sarix

Smash Ace
And Sarix, I wish you the best of luck. That also sounds just really unfortunate.
Thanks, so far the shifts I've put up have been taken so things are looking up. I work at Target so at least I know we have fantastic crowd control unlike Walmart lol.

Things are not looking up for my German class though. :( I think the professor is nice but she has an extremely polarizing teaching method that expects us to be able to repeat what she says and expect the meaning to be obvious. It really became apparent with accusative prepositions "durch, fur, gegen, ohne, & um" where she told us to repeat and memorize them over 2-3 class periods but never once in class to my knowledge did she ever go over what those words actually mean. The only way I've been surviving is breaking down sentences in the textbook and using good online references to help break down certain words and self teach forming sentences. She tells us that we must experiment with the language and make mistakes to learn; but outside rather mindless listing exercises we've done, forming proper sentences only occurs on the tests. And the tests follow the same bizarre logic of the lectures and basically condemn your grade to drop 2 letters for mistakes which makes the idea of making mistakes to learn counterproductive to passing the class.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Well its my first time posting in this thread, and I'm having a god awful Thanksgiving. My depressed mom happened to go ape-**** today, threatening to stab herself and then proceeding to cry, hitting herself over the head with a remote, and then yelling at my dad. I'm scared that the server for college apps will close before I'm able to submit then. Everything is hell right now and I just want to cry and play Smash/Mario Party.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Well its my first time posting in this thread, and I'm having a god awful Thanksgiving. My depressed mom happened to go ape-**** today, threatening to stab herself and then proceeding to cry, hitting herself over the head with a remote, and then yelling at my dad. I'm scared that the server for college apps will close before I'm able to submit then. Everything is hell right now and I just want to cry and play Smash/Mario Party.
Hope you made out ok mate.

Top Bottom