• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unclouded Mind(games)

Sky`

Smash Lord
0/1675 of his posts are useful. He just likes posting more to up his numbers. I don't even think he's aware that there are regional zone threads, heh.
Falcon's blunt nature is what this community needs.

There's no room for people who like to lie and beat around the bush.

Sometimes, you just gotta hear sh*t up front, and Falcon does that job quite well.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
0/1675 of his posts are useful. He just likes posting more to up his numbers. I don't even think he's aware that there are regional zone threads, heh.
My first experience with SWF was in the regionals for TAG monthlies.

Hm, look at my posts, I discuss things and debates, I'm voicing my ****ing opinion, get over it. You dont even ****ing know me, and you obviously havent taken the time to try.

AND HOLY **** KING BEEF. Dude, I have you ignored, stop ****ing following me to me how mean I am ON THE INTERNETS when I cant even see you.

And did you stop and think "Hey, maybe he is genuinely tired of un necessary topics flooding the tactical section?" Keep following me around to tell me I'm and I quote, GARBAGE, and I will have you infracted in a ****ing heart beat.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Falcon's blunt nature is what this community needs.

There's no room for people who like to lie and beat around the bush.

Sometimes, you just gotta hear sh*t up front, and Falcon does that job quite well.
I agree with you on that Sky, but there is a fine line between being blunt and being a troll who contributes little to nothing at all and having over half of their total post count consist of utter nonsense. I even looked through most of the threads he has made and most of them are also garbage that consists of complaining, nothing new, nothing useful, just whining and complaining; which makes it even funnier and ironic to see his above post talking about unnecessary topics. I really don't like people who post like he does, and simply putting him on ignore would be the easy way out. Yuna is blunt, but he usefully contributes, which makes him far more respectable in my book.

I mean...look at him, he's threatening me with infractions just because I'm "following" him and pointing out something he doesn't like to hear in an aggressive way, which is exactly what he does on a constant basis if I'm not mistaken. The irony is just delicious.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I agree with you on that Sky, but there is a fine line between being blunt and being a troll who contributes little to nothing at all and having over half of their total post count consist of utter nonsense. I even looked through most of the threads he has made and most of them are also garbage that consists of complaining, nothing new, nothing useful, just whining and complaining; which makes it even funnier and ironic to see his above post talking about unnecessary topics. I really don't like people who post like he does, and simply putting him on ignore would be the easy way out. Yuna is blunt, but he usefully contributes, which makes him far more respectable in my book.

I mean...look at him, he's threatening me with infractions just because I'm "following" him and pointing out something he doesn't like to hear in an aggressive way, which is exactly what he does on a constant basis if I'm not mistaken. The irony is just delicious.
You called me a garbage SWF member. The only person I would ever call that would be Combo King. I state the truth, you follow telling me to be nicer about it. You can dislike it as much as you want, it's still the truth.

BebopBrawler

Smash Rookie
Umm, I am a little uncomfortable with where this thread is going... Can we get back on topic please? I really don't want anyone to get offended.

Anywho, Falcon. I would really like to know what I could do to improve the thread or make it more useful. Sorry if I am clouding the forums but I am trying to learn how to make a difference and leave a good impression so your constructive criticism is welcome.

Also, I agree with you King Beef theory can only take you so far and I think I needed to reiterate learning this stuff isn't worth it if all you do is get lost thinking about it. Practice it and make it intuition is the best bet this is just to make people aware of it.

Finally, St Veirs. Thank you for the go input, you actually explained it much better than I did. Next time I edit do you mind if I quote you in the post?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You called me a garbage SWF member. The only person I would ever call that would be Combo King. I state the truth, you follow telling me to be nicer about it. You can dislike it as much as you want, it's still the truth.
I never said anything along the lines of "be nicer about it". I have no problem with anyone being blunt about what they say, but what I do call into question is your lack of any real contribution with what you post. Yuna is just as blunt as you are, but nearly every single post of his offers some sort of sensible contribution to a thread, be it critique, topic stimulating debate, etc. You have yet to do anything of the sort. Debating and being a condescending troll are two different things, Falcon.

"After about a year all of these look the same to me. Why do we get so many of them?"

This is what I mean; You don't critique his post itself, you don't offer any advice or contribution to go into his post, all you do is post a question that whines about the topic being similar to others. I have one question: did you even read the first post before stating that all of these threads look the same to you? And what did your post contribute to the thread that made it so important that the thought didn't have to stay in your head?

@ OP- Good luck with your reiteration.

Sky`

Smash Lord
I think what's most important, is that I make amazing OPs, and Eddy is coming to my house for genesis. <3 Homo included.

But Mindgames are all you have in brawl. Haha, If you want to hone those skills, play Melee, honestly.

Skylynx

Smash Rookie
Love the post, very well thought out, good at explaining everything. A++!!!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I think what's most important, is that I make amazing OPs, and Eddy is coming to my house for genesis. <3 Homo included.

But Mindgames are all you have in brawl. Haha, If you want to hone those skills, play Melee, honestly.
Haha yes I am, and we're playing plenty of Melee and *cough*some*cough* Brawl friendlies.

But I agree, "mindgames" are a little more vital in Brawl than anything that exists in it that requires tech skill to execute. Melee can and will refine just about all of one's fundamentals in competitive smash, and it will carry over to Brawl nicely if you become accustomed to switching between the two.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
King Beef, my post was to criticise his post for being like countless others. It's on par with use the ****ing search function before you make a thread. You act more interested in criticising me, not on debating my point.

You know what that's called? Well, on these here interwebz we call it being a *gasp* troll!

Or as you would say "Garbage SWF member is garbage".

@Bebop-I in no way have anything against you. What I'd reccomend is looking up posts about mind games and the like, and see if they missed something. Otherwise this is basically old news. Lots of people make guides like this and when compared the differences are mainly what colors and fonts are used for headings.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I give up. Continue posting like a fool and remain in denial if you wish.

@ I see you just posted to him the way you initially should have, in a helpful and informative manner, not sounding like "omfg ur so stupid stop making deez here threadz!1!1!!!1". See what a little chain yanking can do to even yourself? ^.^

BebopBrawler

Smash Rookie
I tried searching around a bit and found a few posts about the mental game but maybe I didn't find the ones you are talking about. I was just trying to get something new to compile the thoughts people had on the topic and group them all together. If you could send a few links to ones that you feel I am overlapping it would be very helpful and I could either link them to this one or vice versa and get a really strong mental game resource going.

And could we please, please stop the back and fourth guys. You both have stuff to contribute to the topic I just don't want the topic bogged down by off topic discussion or negativity. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Could I have used the word topic more? lol

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I give up. Continue posting like a fool and remain in denial if you wish.

@ I see you just posted to him the way you initially should have, in a helpful and informative manner, not sounding like "omfg ur so stupid stop making deez here threadz!1!1!!!1". See what a little chain yanking can do to even yourself? ^.^
I'm pretty sure my post never claimed **** about his intelligence, at all. I posted an opinion, it's not trolling. Trolling is explicitly insulting one's personal self without any actual constructive view. If you state the truth, and it's your opinion, it's not trolling.

Stop posting like a 'fool'? Are you serious? Wow, I should never be able to freely express my ideas, I have to add some kind of nonsense to make someone feel better. My post about not making copies was simple from the start, my second statement was because he had the spine to simply ask how he could make it better. King Beef, I have quite a few people on my side when it comes to me being blunt, not a troll, including Sky. Dont tell me I'm just living in denial unless you'd like to insult them as well.

tl;dr-I'm right so the only thing to argue is to be less rude, which is ****ing ridiculous.

GofG

Smash Champion
Why are we even having this discussion, anyway? Falcon is right, you are all wrong.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
And I guess so is Sky and all the people on my side? :confused:

Seriously it's not like I'm trolling around and making everyone hate me. It's just you.
Your meatshield defense is over-dramatic. What I say applies to you and only you, it does not pertain to those who agree with you. The stem, not the branches.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Falcon v1.0 is just stating his opinion in a more harsher way then everybody else. harsh or not harsh, it gets to the point. seriously guys? this has turned into a flame war >_>. just stick to the subject please

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Your meatshield defense is over-dramatic. What I say applies to you and only you, it does not pertain to those who agree with you. The stem, not the branches.
They dont just agree with me they have defended me lol.

I like how you didn't respond to anything about the fact that you are the only one following me around to call me garbage. I cant ****ing believe I'm in denial when it's you, and only you. Well, some other people, but they've been proven to be beyond ignorant.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

I like how you didn't respond to anything about the fact that you are the only one following me around to call me garbage. I cant ****ing believe I'm in denial when it's you, and only you. Well, some other people, but they've been proven to be beyond ignorant.
I love your gather-the-crowd defenses. I can't convince you that your behavior is much different that you lead yourself to believe, therefore there is no fruition to gain from this argument. Carry on as you have been, and meanwhile I will contribute useful posts around the forum. Say whatever you like, I won't respond.

/argument

GofG

Smash Champion
There are no useful posts that are posted in anything other than Melee General, Melee Character discussion, or Melee-related Regional threads, King Beef, and I notice you have a significant lack of postcount in those.

The only thing good about your posts is that we get to see your kickass sig every time you post.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You realize the gather the crowd thing is to prove I'm not in denial. Because if I couldn't do it, it would because I'm in denial.

And stop with the elitist 'useful' posts bull ****, really.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
There are no useful posts that are posted in anything other than Melee General, Melee Character discussion, or Melee-related Regional threads, King Beef, and I notice you have a significant lack of postcount in those.

The only thing good about your posts is that we get to see your kickass sig every time you post.
Why does it matter where I post? I'm not following you on that one.

I'm more of a lurker in those areas until something comes to mind.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

I haven't been proven beyond ignorant yet. lol

This thread was an interesting read. And amazing to see from someone who just joined the forums. And even if it has been done before I don't see it anywhere. In a forum you discuss things.

And even if this guy had known there was another thread like this one, which I'm sure there is, but where and how many months old it is I don't know.

But don't deny that if he had revived that old thread with his ideas instead of making another one, you would have flamed him all the same.

You may bring good points to various discussions, but your attitude ****ing fails, and helps no one.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I haven't been proven beyond ignorant yet. lol

This thread was an interesting read. And amazing to see from someone who just joined the forums. And even if it has been done before I don't see it anywhere. In a forum you discuss things.

And even if this guy had known there was another thread like this one, which I'm sure there is, but where and how many months old it is I don't know.

But don't deny that if he had revived that old thread with his ideas instead of making another one, you would have flamed him all the same.

You may bring good points to various discussions, but your attitude ****ing fails, and helps no one.
The attitude isn't really supposed to matter.

I dont get you point. I never once insulted him. I told him specifically I have anything against him, all I said was a very general statement that I'm a lil tired of the same stuff over and over. If he revived the old thread it's necro posting, I would just lol at him.

If I bring good points, I'm not being 'useless' and 'garbage', I may be an ***, which I'm fine with.

You're not on par with King Beef, you didn't flame me for stating beliefs. You simply dislike my attitude. He dislikes me and no matter how right I may be he's a better person and is more 'useful'.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The attitude isn't really supposed to matter.

I dont get you point. I never once insulted him. I told him specifically I have anything against him, all I said was a very general statement that I'm a lil tired of the same stuff over and over. If he revived the old thread it's necro posting, I would just lol at him.

If I bring good points, I'm not being 'useless' and 'garbage', I may be an ***, which I'm fine with.

You're not on par with King Beef, you didn't flame me for stating beliefs. You simply dislike my attitude. He dislikes me and no matter how right I may be he's a better person and is more 'useful'.
I didn't say you were "useless" or "garbage." You can't use his arguments against me XD

Well if you're fine being an ***, my opinion sure as hell isn't going to change that lol

But there are other threads here that deserved that statement of yours a whole lot more. "timing" and "I play better when I'm alseep" come to mind. They help no one and contribute nothing.

Lastly,even though I just said I was sure it wouldn't make a difference, I'll say it anyway lol. As long as you're working with people, your attitude does matter.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Cultivate your hunger before you Idealise

Why do people talk about Brawl like it's difficult? <3

Haha, but in all seriousness, Many mind games of mine were developed in Brawl, and the speed of which I think was honed in Melee.

IMO, One would need a combination of both if they want to be somewhat successful.

Except Mango = C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!​

Motivate your anger, and make them all realise...

mightychir

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0387-9912-4573
Nice first post. And yes, we all can get into mindgames and lose the match>.> But thanks for clearing out some questions had :D

Zonic100

Smash Cadet
This is great.

A suggestion for in game adaptability, with a tie in of exploration, would be using a defensive style at the beggining of a match to explore someones ability and when you feel the time is right you can move in after learning some of their playing style with your own adaptive offensive style.

Its a technique that happens all the time but I thought I should point it out.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Ok, to start this off, I'm glad the fighting calmed down. We should keep this thread focused on the topic.

Here is what I have to say about each little topic that is in the OP. Basically, the format is my overall comments first, and then any specific suggestions based on your In-Game/Out-Of-Game sections.

Emotion:
I pretty much agree with everything you have to say here. This is all pretty solid information.

In game
Taunting after a kill

Out of game
Not losing control of yourself.

Control:
Like I said before, this is my favorite of the sections, I think because it feels the most tangible and is the most rewarding. I could write a long explanation, but to sum it up, making an opponent go somewhere/do something is a fantastic feeling.

Pace:
Once again this section is pretty much right on the money.

In game
Utilizing things such as frame traps.

Bluffing:
Good section, no overall comments.

In game
Goes along with pace. Set a pattern, make your opponent think you will follow it, do something different, punish.
Utilizing moves such as canceling Fox’s Illusion/Falco’s Phantasm.

Out of game
Talking trash.
Making friendly banter in general, commenting about how you’re ok/just started playing.

Confidence:
I find this one really tough to even conceptualize beyond what you have already written, meaning you have covered everything I can think of. This really is so similar to emotion that I think you might want to consider moving it into a sub-class under emotion… possibly being in several other emotions like anger or joy to round it out.

Exploration:
I have a big problem with this category, mainly because if I am playing to win, then I do not want to be trying things unless I know they will work. This is a tricky subject, because while I agree that exploration is necessary to discover your opponent, I don’t feel that “using moves that leave you open” or “being willing to make sacrifices” are good pieces of advice in a competitive environment. Casually/training environments yes, I completely agree with you. You might want to think about this aspect, but then again it's your thread not mine.

Adaptability:
I think you did a good job with this one. Having more then one play style and the ability to switch between them could be life or death in a match. If style “A” hits a brick wall, then maybe style “2” or “D” can get around it/break through it. This category has a lot in common with pacing if you think about it.

Maybe you could give us some examples of the right and wrong way to handle each category as well. For example under confidence discuss the pros to being confident, but the cons to being OVERconfident. Other then that, keep up the good work Bebop.

Also, you might want to check out this thread as well. It's kinda similar and has some good information.

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
I am assuming that when you are playing online that only the in game mindgames will work. So does this mean that you have a better chance to mindgame the opponent better face to face than online?

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
I am assuming that when you are playing online that only the in game mindgames will work. So does this mean that you have a better chance to mindgame the opponent better face to face than online?
To answer your question simply... Yes. Usually. Typically the more you can do to gain an edge on your opponent, and in this case you can do more in person, the better. Keep in mind that "mindgame" is a relative term that is thrown around a lot, so it might not hold any meaning when applied to certain aspects of gameplay.

BebopBrawler

Smash Rookie
Also, just throwing this out there in person you are also more susceptible to mental play as well.

BTW, thanks for the awesome post Megaman, in the next update I'll be sure to throw some of that stuff in the OP.

Top Bottom