• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Smash 4 Ruleset Poll RESULTS!

QuadraSlashe

Smash Rookie
NNID
GreenSilver
People need to be a bit more embracing to stages. If most of the stages are banned, they'll never get their time to see the light and be played on. Pilotwings and Wuhu Island would make fine counter picks, but people seem to insist it should be banned, without even being tested.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
I kind of want to take this survey with a grain of salt as the majority of the players never, or rarely attend tournaments and thus have no experience with the scene, it was for this reason I personally did not fill out the survey as my opinion as someone who has never entered Sm4sh at any event I go to didn't seem to valuable.
As has been said though, the difference when removing non-tournament goers is pretty much non-existent

QuadraSlashe

Smash Rookie
NNID
GreenSilver
Well, one thing you forget to consider is I play luigi, I put up with everything that goes on in the stage in EVERY other stage. and this stage just makes it WORSE. I have one of the worst air speeds in the game and my traction sucks, in the air portion of the stage, their IS no WAY for me to adapt because I simply can't play Luigi the way he is meant to be played. When I jump, I won't be coming down for another ten seconds. And on the Ice portion of the stage, I have basically no punish on people that hit my sheild, so OF COURSE I'm NOT going to allow this stage to be played against me in tournament. So I'd just rather have it banned in the first place
Then strike it. Striking is there for a reason

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Someone on reddit figured it out. There was basically no change. The most significant one was the number of people who wanted customs off went up by like 4%.
And that still leaves Customs winning by a tremendous margin. Thanks for the info, do you have a link to the reddit thread?

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'd like to see more stages become available at least as counter-picks, even allowing stages that we normally would not allow. Obviously there would be stages that we could never allow such as those with severe stage hazards, permanent walk-offs, or too much teching. Isn't the point of stages to mix things up and add a random element(s) that forces players to adapt? You don't get that from a neutral stage, only a counter-pick.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9m_zYPexM

Pilotwings is legitimately broken; Wuhu does not have such issues.
That video isn't a good example of this. Yes, there will be some camping, but you know the stage transforms, so the parts that make it appear terrible go away every 30-40 seconds right? And even then, I think that stage is still relatively decent, the edges do the same thing lylat used to do, but have better hitboxes, and the slant isn't that bad. And given the constant shift between planes, this stage isn't as good for campy play as you'd think

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
That video isn't a good example of this. Yes, there will be some camping, but you know the stage transforms, so the parts that make it appear terrible go away every 30-40 seconds right? And even then, I think that stage is still relatively decent, the edges do the same thing lylat used to do, but have better hitboxes, and the slant isn't that bad. And given the constant shift between planes, this stage isn't as good for campy play as you'd think
Um, your point would matter if the stage transitioned from terrible to decent. Instead it just repeatedly transitions between terrible and REALLY terrible. There's no good points to Pilotwings that outweights the bad points.

There won't just be some camping. Camping will be the primary point of vantage. There is no reason a player should engage their opponent on the open flat portions of the stage if they don't absolutely have to. If staying on the lower half near the wall offers me considerable advantage against an approaching opponent, why should I not take it? If my character can reach the engine on the yellow plane and render most of my opponent's approach options super-risky or impossible, why should I not do that?

The transition changes do nothing to hinder camping as a powerful strategy. It just momentarily breaks it up, and if you don't have an overwhelming mobility advantage on your opponent's character, you're not gonna stop them from re-camping. Better yet, if you have an overwhelming mobility advantage, you should be camping. Whether you want to camp or not doesn't matter. Somebody would do it.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
OK, here's what I found unfair about PS2, like litterally.
Some characters are able to stall or camp off or understage for a seemingly unfair amount of time in the fly type portion of the stage, when some characters cannot reach them.
The conveyor belts get rid of your normal get up option for the most part.

Also, you probably won't play on a couple of sections on the stage most of your games on it.
Jigglypuff can get the first hit on you and camp for the rest of the game on that stage regardless of its type. its broken.

Last edited:

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
Did 25% of the players seriously vote for Coliseum being legal?
I think I made a mistake and thought of the fire emblem stage on the 3ds version...don't know why. I might have also mixed default coliseum with omega coliseum. Lol

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
There's using the middle and upper parts of the stage. Teching on the hard platforms in the middle just gives room for punishing on the bottom floor, as your character still needs to land. Your character can't automatically hit the opponent after teching.

So the Cave of Life thing isn't all too valid an excuse to ban it. It's easy to punish opponents who do tech.
So I guess I'll just DI and tech your punish.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Disappointed that Starter/Counterpick is still the majority. Other than that mostly expected results.

Calandracas666

Smash Rookie
Rip ssf2 community. I see real potential in that game.

I was a bit shocked to see gamer as a proposed legal stage. I really hope to see pilot wings and jungle 64 become legal as I have played those so much and I don't really see the problem with those games.

I also hope that we finally see the starter/counterpick system be removed in favor of having all stages legal off the bat.

I also hope that items will be looked into becuse the game would be so much more fun to play and watch by adding only the smash orb.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
The amount of people who said they never attend tournaments...

Suddenly I care less about these results.

:093:
Well, the biggest complaint I heard about this poll is that the heavy majority of people answering would be casual players asking for items legal and wonky stages like Gamer or Mario Circuit.

I think that was an exaggeration, but I expected it to be about 50% legitimate tournament players and 50% random opinions.

I actually like these results more than I expected since it's only 23% of people who aren't tournament players, and most people had reasonable opinions.

Maybe I was cynical at first, still am kinda, but there's still some good info here.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
933 think Skyloft should be legal?

Awesome :D

Also, 62 Robin's being played at tournaments. Sweet

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Rip ssf2 community. I see real potential in that game.

I was a bit shocked to see gamer as a proposed legal stage. I really hope to see pilot wings and jungle 64 become legal as I have played those so much and I don't really see the problem with those games.

I also hope that we finally see the starter/counterpick system be removed in favor of having all stages legal off the bat.

I also hope that items will be looked into becuse the game would be so much more fun to play and watch by adding only the smash orb.
First of all, KJ64 and Pilotwings are both best left for Doubles only. The camping positions are too good for 1v1.

Second of all, they tried Smash Ball MANY times. It never, EVER turned out well.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
that luig you're responding to can't adapt
I like how you just go and assume a player can't adapt because they don't like a stage. Very cool thing to do, just plain out insult a person.
"Someone doesn't like a stage that plays different than the rest of the games stages, they can't adapt" Like seriously do you know how stupid this sounds? If a stage doesn't play like every other stage would in competitive, thats the biggest hint that it should be banned. Why? Its basically a different game. I do not consider an abuse of stage gimmicks to get the upper hand on an opponent "fair play". No matter how many people support the "adaption" arguement, the pointlessness of this is that adaption is a part of EVERY stage in the game, not just one. This stage has you "adapt" to a low gravity, which is essentially a part of the stage where both opponents can't hit each other for their lives, conveyor belts, which gets rid of a get up option and runs you off the stage 90% of the time if you're actually TRYING not to get hit, and low traction, which, this one is more acceptable as it doesn't really break the game like the other 2.

Going through the comments and I'm just

Why do so many of you think this is "official" or an "end-all-be-all" that will define rulesets?

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
I like how you just go and assume a player can't adapt because they don't like a stage. Very cool thing to do, just plain out insult a person.
"Someone doesn't like a stage that plays different than the rest of the games stages, they can't adapt" Like seriously do you know how stupid this sounds? If a stage doesn't play like every other stage would in competitive, thats the biggest hint that it should be banned. Why? Its basically a different game. I do not consider an abuse of stage gimmicks to get the upper hand on an opponent "fair play". No matter how many people support the "adaption" arguement, the pointlessness of this is that adaption is a part of EVERY stage in the game, not just one. This stage has you "adapt" to a low gravity, which is essentially a part of the stage where both opponents can't hit each other for their lives, conveyor belts, which gets rid of a get up option and runs you off the stage 90% of the time if you're actually TRYING not to get hit, and low traction, which, this one is more acceptable as it doesn't really break the game like the other 2.
I don't assume a player can't adapt if the don't like a stage and I get the low gravity argument but everything else is perfectly valid...oh you don't like PS2 so strike it you think it's cheap don't play there it's as simple as that

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
>Miis Allowed

HYPE

>1-1-1-1 Only

HYPE KILLED

>Customs Allowed So Not Rly

SOME OF MY HYPE IS BACK

Me: *starts going red with anger*
That's Racist. *Ding!*

Town and City suffers from the same thing that Wii Fit Studio has; it has platforms that can automatically kill you if you're unprepared. And even if you manage to escape, it allows your opponent to freely hit you because of that. Why do we have a legal stage that can automatically kill you, but not any run off stages? Tell me how the hell that makes sense.
Stage does not contain pole dancing. *Ding!*

Castle Seige...okay, as if the second part being a run-off isn't bad enough, since we shouldn't have run-offs, right? Every time you're in the wrong spot during the transition, you get KO'd because it now transitions too fast.
Smashboards is a **** to walk-offs. *Ding!*

Disturbing amount of people who say they never play the game...
>implying that playing the game in any way other then by going to tournaments = never play the game

ಠ_ಠ

>The Great Cave Offensive
FirestormNeos imagined an alternate universe where GCO is a legal stage, then died from laughter. I'm his next of kin posting this.

smh at all the people saying Mansion should be legal. Lets unban Temple and Tomodachi Life while we're at it, yeah? I love me a good set of circle camping and early KOs off the top.

"B-but Smashville and T&C allow early KOs too!"

Right, their plats are ALWAYS at their closest points to the blastlines as possible. It's not like a player has to strategise and prepare to set up plat-assisted KOs, since they can just wait at that spot indefinitely.

Oh wait
>unban temple and tomodachi life

nah, **** that noise. We need Great Cave Offensive up in here!

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I went to the first page and there's people angry because Luigi's Mansion was voted as banned.
This people play this game ?
I mean....Circle-camping, absurd opportunities to tech in many places...
What's next ? Port Town Aero Drive ?

Maybe a full poll was really a bad idea.
Everything I wish is a SSB4 Backroom.
Oh god, please.
----------------------
The good things were Wuhu Island and Skyloft being voted as CP's, and 3 stocks over 2 stocks.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I don't assume a player can't adapt if the don't like a stage and I get the low gravity argument but everything else is perfectly valid...oh you don't like PS2 so strike it you think it's cheap don't play there it's as simple as that
The problem with THAT is that there are stages I SHOULD strike so I don't just give my opponent a fee advantage, for example, castle seige.

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
[URL='http://smashboards.com/members/radical-larry.240609/' said:
Radical Larry[/URL]]Lylat Cruise is a stage with a very low blast zone
That isn't even true moron. Know your facts.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
LOL @ 1812 people (46%) who have never played smash before smash 4 came out, yet think their opinion matters.

I'm telling you this is the problem with the game, not the ruleset, the overwhelming ammount of people who play the game yet have never been part of the smash community before that think their opinions matter...

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
@Radical Larry Guys leave him alone. He's just biased for the characters he likes and thinks everyone should listen to everything he says. He's clearly more important than the rest of the community.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
LOL @ 1812 people (46%) who have never played smash before smash 4 came out, yet think their opinion matters.

I'm telling you this is the problem with the game, not the ruleset, the overwhelming amount of people who play the game yet have never been part of the smash community before that think their opinions matter...
Where did you take that info from? I see it nowhere in the poll.
I never went to any Smash tourney firstly because there is close to none in the country I live- one of the biggest countries in the world, mind I say, so it is hard even to attend those 2 or 3 local tournaments per year that nobody hears or talks about.... secondly because I don't like to be the center of attention anyway, so I can't imagine myself going to a tournament even if there was one close to where I live.
But just so you know, I play Smash ever since the N64 was a thing, I played every official iteration of the game but the 3DS one, and I've watched enough tournaments and I've read enough info to know more than someone who "never played Smash before".
Oh, can you tell me where you got that info from again?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Where did you take that info from? I see it nowhere in the poll.
I never went to any Smash tourney firstly because there is close to none in the country I live- one of the biggest countries in the world, mind I say, so it is hard even to attend those 2 or 3 local tournaments per year that nobody hears or talks about.... secondly because I don't like to be the center of attention anyway, so I can't imagine myself going to a tournament even if there was one close to where I live.
But just so you know, I play Smash ever since the N64 was a thing, I played every official iteration of the game but the 3DS one, and I've watched enough tournaments and I've read enough info to know more than someone who "never played Smash before".
Oh, can you tell me where you got that info from again?
3rd section :

"Which other Smash games do/did you actively compete in? (check all that apply)"

None --- 1813 ---- 46.7%
Smash64 --- 267 ---- 6.9%
Melee --- 1246 ---- 32.1%
Brawl --- 782 --- 20.1%
Project M --- 1112 --- 28.7%
Super Smash Flash --- 2124 --- 3.2%

Ok, so let me ask you this Metallinatus : Why do you care about this survey if you don't play smash competitively?

Why do SO MANY people who DON'T play competitive smash care so much about smash 4's tourney rules? LOL.

Last edited:

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
No wonder smash 4 is so dysfunctional, most of its playerbase are newcomers.
Well things have to start somewhere.. Its full of people who don't like all the tech you have to know for PM/Melee. It is also full of people who like to complain. Like. ALOT.

But I love Smash 4, It is where I started playing in actual tournament play and stuff, But its not my first.

Also Smash 4 got me into PM/melee.

So In all it is going to make the Community bigger.

Yeah any new game is to be judged on whether mostly old players play it...if it's mostly old players then it's a good game, and if there are new players it must be a showing that the game is bad and should be ridiculed.
I hope you aren't serious.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well things have to start somewhere.. Its full of people who don't like all the tech you have to know for PM/Melee. It is also full of people who like to complain. Like. ALOT.
But I love Smash 4, It is where I started playing in actual tournament play and stuff, But its not my first.
Also Smash 4 got me into PM/melee.
So In all it is going to make the Community bigger.
"People who like to complain" IE : Scrubs. lol.

Smash 4 is full of people who will be playing smash 5 the moment it's released. That's the problem.

It's also full of people that just seem to HATE prior iterations of smash for being overly technical / losing all the time to good players, thinking smash 4 will level the playing field (it won't... scrubs always lose regardless of what game it is)

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
3rd section :

"Which other Smash games do/did you actively compete in? (check all that apply)"

None --- 1813 ---- 46.7%
Smash --- 64267 ---- 6.9%
Melee --- 1246 ---- 32.1%
Brawl --- 782 --- 20.1%
Project M --- 1112 --- 28.7%
Super Smash Flash --- 2124 --- 3.2%

Ok, so let me ask you this Metallinatus : Why do you care about this survey if you don't play smash competitively?

Why do SO MANY people who DON'T play competitive smash care so much about smash 4's tourney rules? LOL.
Yes, that is the part that tells they don't attend tournaments, it doesn't mean those people just don't know what they are talking about in regards to competitive Smash.
See? I don't go to tournaments, but I am interested in competitive Smash, I watch top players on YouTube, I watch tournaments, I know that choosing a stage with few or no platforms will take away a lot of combo options from characters like Falcon and I learn a lot watching those competitive matches and even some tutorials, that's why I care.
I never tested my skills against a competitive player offline and I know that is very different from playing online with all those beautiful 10 seconds of delay from the moment you press a button to the moment you see your character doing what you told him to do on screen, but that doesn't mean I don't know Smash....
Whether someone played or not Smash competitively against another player offline is not a good indication of whether his opinion matters or not.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

I'm telling you this is the problem with the game, not the ruleset, the overwhelming ammount of people who play the game yet have never been part of the smash community before that think their opinions matter...
Well not to be rude, but reading the results from a poll tends to be easier when you can.... well... read.

So these people could have watched tournaments, been involved with the scene, or played all the other Smash games before but chose THIS title to be competitive in. Not to mention they could have easily studied up on the scene itself as well. I may not have always been as active a community member as I am now, but I could chat your ear off on the history of Smash for probably days on end. Am I actively competiting in the games? No not right now, but it doesn't mean I'm not knowledgeable.

It more surprises me how many condescending jerks there can be who don't think everyone's voice matters for arbitrary reasons.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
smashcapps said:
So these people could have watched tournaments, been involved with the scene, or played all the other Smash games before but chose THIS title to be competitive in.
And why would that be? Wouldn't have anything to do with being casual players that get bodies in melee / 64 / pm (Brawl, maybe?) now would it?

I get you're playing "angels advocate" here, but I'll side with the devil on this one.

I'd say for every player out of the 1813 that you're describing, there are 10 or more players that are just, quite simply, total noobs or worse... scrubs that couldn't win in other smash titles.

And, full arrogance intended, the opinions of noobs and scrubs don't matter when it comes to competitive rulesets. They don't understand the concept of what we do.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yes, that is the part that tells they don't attend tournaments, it doesn't mean those people just don't know what they are talking about in regards to competitive Smash.
See? I don't go to tournaments, but I am interested in competitive Smash, I watch top players on YouTube, I watch tournaments, I know that choosing a stage with few or no platforms will take away a lot of combo options from characters like Falcon and I learn a lot watching those competitive matches and even some tutorials, that's why I care.
I never tested my skills against a competitive player offline and I know that is very different from playing online with all those beautiful 10 seconds of delay from the moment you press a button to the moment you see your character doing what you told him to do on screen, but that doesn't mean I don't know Smash....
Whether someone played or not Smash competitively against another player offline is not a good indication of whether his opinion matters or not.
No offense dude but if you're not competiting in the tournaments I don't see why the rules would matter so much to you. You're still going to get to see hype gameplay from your favorite smashers whether it is 2 stock 4 mins or 3 stock 8 mins, customs on customs off, won't really matter.

Your opinion MATTERS, I guess, but it's kind of irrelevant if you don't actually attend tournaments, imo.

Ludus_Machinae

Smash Cadet
NNID
epicbro369
3DS FC
4038-6245-6823
so does this mean more tourneys will be picking up 3 stock 8 minutes? or will we continue with 2 stock until after evo?

Top Bottom