• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Probable Playable Characters In Brawl Analysis Topic!(1 week til Brawl!)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem will not be represented by 3 sword users. I just wanted to point that out.

If it is, then I'll throw Sakurai off a building WITHOUT yelling "You must recover!".
You fail at understanding the history of Fire Emblem. Most of the lords in the series use swords.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That would only stand to make sense.

Still, I can't see FE being reresented entirely by swords.
Historically swords are the most-used and most versitile weapon, fullfilling almost every possible melee combat role.

Because of such wide possibilities it lends itself to a lot of completely unique character designs, hence it's prevalence.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I have nothing against swords. I do dislike seeing a series with multiple options being represented in a not-so-diverse way.
As I just pointed out, swords are inherently diverse unless you use the same type of sword over and over again, which is very doubtful.

Just because they're blades with a handle doesn't make them remotely similar.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
As I just pointed out, swords are inherently diverse unless you use the same type of sword over and over again, which is very doubtful.

Just because they're blades with a handle doesn't make them remotely similar.
I know that, but like I said, 3 Links. They're all different, but at the same time they are all the same.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I know that, but like I said, 3 Links. They're all different, but at the same time they are all the same.
Applying that logic, Cloud, Sephiorth, and Crono are all the same and all have the same fighting style because they all use swords.

626key

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that there are many different things that can be done with a sword, but marth and link are somewhat simaler in the way they fought in melee, and I know sakuri could easily change it, but I'm willing to bet that there is at least one event mode events that puts two fighters in the same ring because they have swords

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No, they're all completely different.

dagger=/=flamberg=/=rapier=/=falchion.

They're just completely different, "sword" is an incredibly wide weapon category and beside some minor visual similarities, they have little in common with each other.

Spears have a good deal in common, axes have a good deal in common, swords are extremely different.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Applying that logic, Cloud, Sephiorth, and Crono are all the same and all have the same fighting style because they all use swords.
Yeah . . . you misnterpreted what I said.

Hmm . . . I guess 3 sword users from FE wouldn't be as severe 3 Links, but I still would feel a bit sad if hat was what we got.

Let's end this discussion before further misinterpretation.

Edit: I know swords are different dang it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Hmm . . . I guess 3 sword users from FE wouldn't be as severe 3 Links, but I still would feel a bit sad if hat was what we got.

Marth, Sigurd, and Ike are all the most popular lords in Japan, yet they are all blue-haired sword-users. There is a reason for that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Edit: I know swords are different dang it.
The point is, you don't seem to realize exactly how different.

Any two spears are quite similar, any two axes are less so but still.

Swords... some swords are similar but you end up with the degree of similarity between a whip and a quarter-staff in practical terms with swords, they're just WAY too dissimilar on average.

No reason to limit character selection based on adherence to such a wide category.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Marth, Sigurd, and Ike are all the most popular lords in Japan, yet they are all blue-haired sword-users. There is a reason for that.
I didn't know that. Thank you for pointing that out. /sarcasm off

I say we move into the topic of Lucario vs Mewtwo.

Edit: the sword is my favorite weapon. I know how different they are. A rapier is far different from a claymore.

626key

Smash Journeyman
Lucario has more chance due two the facts 1: he is the 4 generation flag charecter 2: he has had a movie recently 3: mewtwo was one of the brawlers Sakuri said should be used with items, lucario wouldn't

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I didn't know that. Thank you for pointing that out. /sarcasm off

I say we move into the topic of Lucario vs Mewtwo.

Edit: the sword is my favorite weapon. I know how different they are. A rapier is far different from a claymore.
Lucario is basically unopposed as representative for the fourth Pokemon generation. Heck, Darkrai was just deconfirmed as being a pokeball Pokemon at the Whobby event. I would be surprised if Lucario did not show up as a playable character in Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmm. Come to think of it, what was Mewtwo known for other than being the "villain" of Pokemon?
Mewtwo is still a very well-known and popular Pokemon, and was the original ultimate legendary. It would be a shame if he decided to cut Mewtwo simply because he was a poor character in Melee.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo is still a very well-known and popular Pokemon, and was the original ultimate legendary. It would be a shame if he decided to cut Mewtwo simply because he was a poor character in Melee.
I agree, I'd still prefer Mewtwo before Lucario, but that's only because I stopped watching Pokemon after the 3rd season and stopped playing the games after Silver and Gold. :ohwell: Lucario wouldn't be a bad choice though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why argue over Mewtwo vs. Lucario? We can have 5 Pokémon reps, EASILY! After 160 million plus units sold (only topped by Mario's 200 million + units sold), it definitely deserves 5 roster spots. >_<

And Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Lugia, Rayzuaza, and Arceus are the strongest stat-wise (tied). However, Mewtwo can learn the most attacks out of all of them. Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Groudon, Kyrogue, and maybe a few more legendary Pokémon are tied for second strongest.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm having de-ja-vu over the topic title.
Yeah, that was the topic title last week. The delay sent us back. Now we have to endure one more full week of "prophets: until we get to the week of leaks, which has been postponed to the fifth week in January.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Why argue over Mewtwo vs. Lucario? We can have 5 Pokémon reps, EASILY! After 160 million plus units sold (only topped by Mario's 200 million + units sold), it definitely deserves 5 roster spots.
Exactly. Pokemon can have 5 reps and is there a where does it say Darkrai is pokeball Pokemon?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Exactly. Pokemon can have 5 reps and is there a where does it say Darkrai is pokeball Pokemon?
According to someone who attended Whobby yesterday, Darkrai was a Pokeball Pokemon. I believe its on Brawl Central.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
According to some Japanese review, there will be 48 playable characters in Brawl:

Can somebody translate it to see if it really does say 48 characters in Brawl?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmmm, looks like Ness might really be deconfirmed then, along with NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR (I trusted him). Ness is the true "prophet" slayer.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hmmm, looks like Ness might really be deconfirmed then, along with NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR (I trusted him). Ness is the true "prophet" slayer.
It's not confirmed, apparently people are saying it's not the right translation...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's not confirmed, apparently people are saying it's not the right translation...
Ah the saga continues...

What I am more interested in though is the screenshot of that Japanese review. It supoosedly mentions that there are 48 playable characters in Brawl.

Top Bottom