• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Probable Playable Characters In Brawl Analysis Topic!(1 week til Brawl!)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The reason I say this is because it all goes back to the poll. In order, the characters who haven;t been added are in this order

Geno
Krystal
Ridley
Olimar
WW Link
Takamaru

WW Link I don't see happening. I think Sakurai thought those were funny and commented on them. I don't seem him adding WW Link, especially since it's just Link. Geno is a more tricky situation. Since he is technically 3rd party, it could go many ways. I could see him being playable, and I could see the final roster Genoless.

After these guys it gets a bit blurred, and Issac is the only other character I see getting in as playable with having less then a 2.

Lucario got a 1 at most. Chances are he's probably a pokeball.
Lucario wasn't mentioned at all on the poll

Zevox

Smash Lord
After these guys it gets a bit blurred, and Issac is the only other character I see getting in as playable with having less then a 2.
Isaac didn't have less than two mentions on that - he had two. His counterpart Felix was the one with only one.

Oh, and anyone know why the topic title says "New char. in CoroC" now? From what I can see the only news we have on it is that its a 30 page article.

Zevox

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Isaac didn't have less than two mentions on that - he had two. His counterpart Felix was the one with only one.
Zevox
Oh, I meant 3. Sorry.

But this whole situation confuses me. I'm probably just going to wait till tomarrow to see what happens.

The reason I say this is because it all goes back to the poll. In order, the characters who haven;t been added are in this order

Geno
Krystal
Ridley
Olimar
WW Link
Takamaru

WW Link I don't see happening. I think Sakurai thought those were funny and commented on them. I don't seem him adding WW Link, especially since it's just Link. Geno is a more tricky situation. Since he is technically 3rd party, it could go many ways. I could see him being playable, and I could see the final roster Genoless.

You forgot to mention that Link is "only" the most popular version of Link nowadays in Japan.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the WW style is more popular in Japan in comparison to TP, then yes. But would that mean it justifies a characters addition?
Popularity and uniqueness are two important things to consider, and WW Link has both in spades.

And on top of that, his design has appeared in five games so far. And after TP's bomb and PH's explosive success in Japan, we'll definitely see more of WW Link.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Popularity and uniqueness are two important things to consider, and WW Link has both in spades.

And on top of that, his design has appeared in five games so far. And after TP's bomb and PH's explosive success in Japan, we'll definitely see more of WW Link.
Think about this.

You are asking for a design change for a PC. Also remember that the Zelda games (besides PH) have sold better in America.

The reason I say WW Link won't get in is because there is no justifiable reason to add him. He is a design change. We don't need to represent everything with a characters. Wouldn't those few games be better done with a course or trophy.

WW Link was a joke character to begin with, and it wasn't till after the radio rumor that people(read:Nsiders) actually considered it to be a character. Sakurai probably thought it was a joke. He also commented on Diddy and Dixie team a few time, but we have just Diddy.

Think about this.

You are asking for a design change for a PC. Also remember that the Zelda games (besides PH) have sold better in America.

The reason I say WW Link won't get in is because there is no justifiable reason to add him. He is a design change. We don't need to represent everything with a characters. Wouldn't those few games be better done with a course or trophy.

WW Link was a joke character to begin with, and it wasn't till after the radio rumor that people(read:Nsiders) actually considered it to be a character. Sakurai probably thought it was a joke. He also commented on Diddy and Dixie team a few time, but we have just Diddy.
Well, okay - so, WW Link deserves to be in more than Tingle, Midna, Vaati, or Skull Kid.

This design for Link is known worldwide, and is the favored version in Japan, and the most common version in Japan. Oh, and did you know that this design has been used more than any other Link design ever?

He is the perfect choice for a visually unique character.

He doesn't need to borrow any of Link's moves.

Every single game he's been in besides Four Swords Adventure sold better than Twilight Princess in Japan.

There's really no reason not to include him, and the idea that he's a joke character is silly: I really, really doubt that Sakurai would look at a random rumor and decide that he's a joke character and not even consider him.

Geno
Krystal
Ridley
Olimar
WW Link
Takamaru

Um... if your doing that in order of the polls then Ridley ranked higher than Krystal... I am not sure how many votes she got but she didn't get 4.

And also, I hardly think your opinion counts as a reason not to put WW Link in, so no dice.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, okay - so, WW Link deserves to be in more than Tingle, Midna, Vaati, or Skull Kid.

This design for Link is known worldwide, and is the favored version in Japan, and the most common version in Japan. Oh, and did you know that this design has been used more than any other Link design ever?

He is the perfect choice for a visually unique character.

He doesn't need to borrow any of Link's moves.

Every single game he's been in besides Four Swords Adventure sold better than Twilight Princess in Japan.

There's really no reason not to include him, and the idea that he's a joke character is silly: I really, really doubt that Sakurai would look at a random rumor and decide that he's a joke character and not even consider him.
And yet, you gave not a single reason why he should be in. Oh, he's popular in Japan. So are a lot of other characters. A lot of other characters. Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy can all have different moves.

But it all comes back top one thing: your asking for a design change to be a character. This is why I'm saying he wont make it. Sakurai has more sense then to add that. This is what blinds many people. With Ganondorf and Falco, you are asking for an actual character to be playable. It's just that that character was a clone. WW Link is clonedom at it's finest. All he is is Link AGAIN. It's hypocritical that people say Paper Mario shouldn't get in while WW Link should. At least there is some difference between Paper Mario and Mario, and the game mentions it (the titles are Paper Mario, so it has some recognition). WW Link is no more then a design change. He is Link and it's always made clear he is Link.

It's also as hypocritical as asking for saying Dr. Mario should be out and WW Link in. They are both just copies of another character. Why add a copy when you can add a full fledged character. NO. We have to add a design change for a characters (because they are so different despite the fact they are LINK) rather then adding a brand new, totally different character with some kind of backstory.

But it's not the rumor that makes him a joke characters. It was that he was always a joke character. The poll just made some n00bs we call Nsiders think it was a good idea. Chances are, Sakurai won't add him because despite what people say here, he probably sees it as funny. Many of us thought it was funny. You must keep the poll in perspective. Those numbers are how many times Sakurai mentioned it. It could be that only 3 people sent in a request, but Sakurai responded to all three, thinking it was funny. I believe that WW Link will not make it for the reasons I said. With the Subspace Emissary, characters will have back stories, and a character like WW Link, who is Link, wouldn't cut it.

But remember, your asking for LINK. You have Link, what's your problem?

Um... if your doing that in order of the polls then Ridley ranked higher than Krystal... I am not sure how many votes she got but she didn't get 4.
Both Krystal and Ridley got a 4.

So he looks and acts different.

So solely because he wears green clothes, has white skin, and is called Link, there's no point in choosing a popular character that only biased people (*cough*) will complain about.

Yeah, because there are only FIVE items in the entire series.

B: Mole Mitts
Smash B: Hammer
Up B: Deku Leaf
Down B: Gust Jar
Final Smash: Hurricane Slash
Grab: Grappling Hook

0% of this moveset uses ANYTHING even close to a move Link uses.

And WW Link is NOT a copy of Link, he IS Link! You know what? TP Link is nothing more than a copy of WW Link.

So I guess Sakurai must be some inept ****** if he's that incapable of making a moveset for Wind Waker Link, while I can make one in less than 30 seconds.

Wind Waker Link is a different Link. Hell, his GAME speaks of OoT Link, saying that Link is the resurrection of that Link. That he is not the Hero of Time, he is the Hero of Winds. He is his own unique character with multiple appearances (and not even the appearance - the CHARACTER has appeared in three different games). Paper Mario is just Mario in flat form. WW Link is a different Link, a DIFFERENT entity.

And Dr. Mario is Mario dressed as a doctor. There are literally dozens of moves that WW Link has used.

You've single-handedly proven that your opinion of WW Link is fueled by nothing but bias against the character, and you know absolutely nothing about him or the games he's appeared in. And I find it funny that you think that because you form opinions based on nothing but idiotic "logic", that Sakurai is some inept fool who would consider WW Link a character a joke character just because he's cel-shaded and/or a second version of Link.

TP Link is not popular in Japan. WW Link is. WW Link is known everywhere, and TP's incredible bomb in Japan isn't going to change that fact.

I guess the only factor in anything is "does he look different?" Yeah, I forgot that gameplay is unimportant in Brawl.

If I had to pick unique characters that use another character's moves or a character that is another version of a character already in but with a unique appearance and moveset, I'd go with the latter.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman

So solely because he wears green clothes, has white skin, and is called Link, there's no point in choosing a popular character that only biased people (*cough*) will complain about.

And WW Link is NOT a copy of Link, he IS Link! You know what? TP Link is nothing more than a copy of WW Link.

So I guess Sakurai must be some inept ****** if he's that incapable of making a moveset for Wind Waker Link, while I can make one in less than 30 seconds.

Wind Waker Link is a different Link. Hell, his GAME speaks of OoT Link, saying that Link is the resurrection of that Link. That he is not the Hero of Time, he is the Hero of Winds. He is his own unique character with multiple appearances (and not even the appearance - the CHARACTER has appeared in three different games). Paper Mario is just Mario in flat form. WW Link is a different Link, a DIFFERENT entity.

And Dr. Mario is Mario dressed as a doctor. There are literally dozens of moves that WW Link has used.

You've single-handedly proven that your opinion of WW Link is fueled by nothing but bias against the character, and you know absolutely nothing about him or the games he's appeared in. And I find it funny that you think that because you form opinions based on nothing but idiotic "logic", that Sakurai is some inept fool who would consider WW Link a character a joke character just because he's cel-shaded and/or a second version of Link.

TP Link is not popular in Japan. WW Link is. WW Link is known everywhere, and TP's incredible bomb in Japan isn't going to change that fact.

I guess the only factor in anything is "does he look different?" Yeah, I forgot that gameplay is unimportant in Brawl.

If I had to pick unique characters that use another character's moves or a character that is another version of a character already in but with a unique appearance and moveset, I'd go with the latter.
He's popular because he's link...

...Just in a cartoon style

Ginger9001

Smash Ace

That was fantastic. *claps* :chuckle:

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Say, have you guys heard anything else about Klonoa?

That rumor about him in Brawl is making me jumpy.

Greevy

Smash Cadet
Nice list.
I actually thought Andy (Advance Wars) would be an awesome choice, he could easily fight with his wrench, maybe calling in artillery fire for a Final Smash or even one of his B-Moves (Plus they could throw in a Wrench-erang). Ray should also be in to represent his series, and I don't know about you but if K. Rool's not in it'll be the biggest character dissapointment of the game. I'm praying Animal Crossing makes it in too.

I'd also love to see Sukopon (though I was unaware of his existence until he started popping up on these lists) and Ridley (Though I would like to point out there is one "Hunters" foe who would have an ear above the rest: Weavil. He could represent Space Pirates in Sakurai went against the logic of Ridley) though I'd rather not have Dark Samus (or for that matter any new Zelda characters beyond Tingle (yes, I said Tingle), WW: Young Link, or maybe Zant (I actually liked him, he's certainly a WTF character). For whatever reason, despite my rapid love of Pokemon, I'm actually against Ludicario, I mean he looks cool (Kinda Anubis-ish) but I've had him on my team in the games and... well he's not on my team any more, he seemed to be super weak against a whole bunch of random attacks at that point in Diamond/Pearl.

Despite the fact I am really hoping K. Rool (What with his awesome move-pool and staring in three of the greatest SNES games of all time), my big three on your list are Geno (though I'm somewhat concerned about what his standard attacks would be and think Mallow would have an easier transition... yeah I know, I'm wierd), Olimar, and Mega Man. The only reason I hold K. Rool over them in negative reactions if they do not appear is because I absolutly love Mega Man and grew up with him, as I did with Sonic, Pikmin is my absolute favorite Nintendo franchise (which seems odd to say but its the only one I'd buy any game for no matter what it entailed... unless it was a card game) and SMRPG is my absolute favorite game of all time (to clarify what I said before, I prefere Mallow and used him in Geno's stead but I'll happily take Geno)... which is going toi make it really hard for me to pick a main, though I guess it will work out like it did for my second main (1st Pikachu) the Ice Climbers in Melee, I just fell in love with them and even devoted two days and hours upon hours to beat Event Match 51 with them (I'm assuming that means I really suck as them... but that doesn't change how much I like them).

I very much doubt it, but I'd actually like to see a SNES inpired Mickey Mouse or the protagonist to Lost Kingdoms 2 make and appearance... but I'm thinking a flying pig would come first in terms of characters (though just imagine it... Mickey versus Mario... wow... they're both M's... look at that).

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much.

And you know what?

All that matters is: who's more popular? WW Link. Significantly so - PH has sold more than 1 million in Japan, which means for every two copies it sold, only one copy of TP was sold.
The way I see it, it's still just Legend of Zelda, using a different style. And the Link in Brawl is suppose to represent the entirety of Legend of Zelda.

Why would it need to be represented with the same character, just in 2 different styles?

Why would he represent the entirety of Zelda? He represents one single game - Hell, his moves are based only on Twilight Princess.

Not only is the Twilight Princess design not a "proper" representation of the entire Zelda series, it's not even the best representative of the recent Zelda games, especially when it's a case of Wind Waker, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, and Phantom HXourglass versus Twilight Princess.

Excellent? His post abandoned logic and intelligence in his labeling Link as a clone. If you can't make him not a clone gameplay-wise of Link, then you probably shouldn't be able to operate a computer.

The Mark

Smash Apprentice
The whole wind waker link idea is silly.

Nobody would even be talking about this if that rumor was never made. It's idiotic to ask for the character when you already have him. It's not happening because sakurai has a head on his shoulders. Why waste character space?

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Excellent? His post abandoned logic and intelligence in his labeling Link as a clone. If you can't make him not a clone gameplay-wise of Link, then you probably shouldn't be able to operate a computer.
Exactly. xD

Seriously though, why does everyone have their undies in a bundle when it comes to WW Link? I think he would be friggin' awesome. :ohwell:

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
The whole wind waker link idea is silly.

Nobody would even be talking about this if that rumor was never made. It's idiotic to ask for the character when you already have him. It's not happening because sakurai has a head on his shoulders. Why waste character space?
Someone else gets it. :)

People on this board are much smarter then on other boards.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Someone else gets it. :)

People on this board are much smarter then on other boards.
They certainly are. Not necessarily because of the topic presently being discussed, but my experience is definitely that this is one of the most intelligent video game based forums out there.

Anyway, about Young "Wind Waker" Link, it all comes down to which view Sakurai and co agree with. If they agree with those who see it as silly to include more than one version of any given character, he won't make it. If they do not, he probably will. Personally, I hope for the former, but I also don't pretend to know how the developers' minds work in that regard, so I'm not at all sure what Young "Wind Waker" Link's fate will be.

Zevox

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

But is he not called WW Link

Tingle
B: Koolam-pa
B^:balloon
BV:Bomb
B>:Tingle dash

That's what I said. So why to you continue to argue.
Any tard could make a moveset. Just because you CAN make a moveset for a character doesn't mean they should be in.

I love the hypocracy. You say that Paper Mario is just Flat Mario, yet WW Link is just Link in a different style. The Link from OoT is not the same as the one in Brawl (from TP) so should we add him too. Heck, lets get the TttP one as well. See how stupid this sounds. If the Link from TP uses the moves from OoT, does that mean that none of this **** really matters.
I love how you say my argument is biased since yours is as well. I have stated my argument clearly, yet you always drive back to the same tired points. 1)Popular 2)He can have a different moveset. These thiongs are irrelevant sionce they work for almost any character. Almost every character has a fanbase, and there are a lot of characters out there. But none of that justifies WW Link. As I have state, he's Link. If you wish to talk about bias, your post says that WW Link is so much different while you say that Paper Mario and Mario are different.

That's nice, but Mother 3 also did bad in Japan, yet we have Lucas. The Japanese fans wanted Ness more (or at least to stay) yet we have Lucas.

As I said before, just becuase you can make a moveset for any character. I'm more likely to get a workable moveset from a monkey on a typewriter then the words of Shakespeare. But just becuase a character could be unique doesn't mean they should be playable especially when many of the characters suggested for Brawl could be unique, even more so then WW Link.
That is you, but what about others. People wat their characters they want in becuase they like the character. There ones they identify with, or have known for quite some time. They love the story around that character. There anticcs and actions. And you would take that away by adding a copy of another character. Tingle would be a better choice. At least some people could like him for his humor or odd backstory. What is there to love about WW Link. He is hallow, for he is just a carbon copy of another character, even if his moves are different.

Smash, alone, isn't just about the gameplay. It is about the characters and the worlds Nintendo has created. WW Link would just deny people they characters they grew up on and know well. If WW Link is in, then another character is lost. We lose Geno, or Issac, or Claus. Someone is hurt, just for a design change.

Say what you will, he is a design change. NONE of the Links are the same. Does that mean Sakurai is justified by adding every version of Link. Why should he add WW Link. Why is this design change so important. Why not add the OoT design as well. They are also different Links.

And this is where we come to. Link is Link. 1=1. You can't say that 1 is different. It IS 1. X=Y. Those two letters are different, but they are the same. If X is 1, Y isn't all of a sudden 583024.23 to the 10th power. IT'S 1. The same is with Link. All of the Links are different. BUT they are all understood to be Link. With such a strong TP presence, it seems Sakurai is just seeing these as design changes, but all the same characters. Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are all tied together in their story, and while they look different between games, they are the same.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Title says new character...is there a new character?

TP Link is about as adequate representation for the dominant style of current-day Zeldas as Samus is.

AKA: Not adequate at all.

You've basically taken it upon yourself to declare WW Link a silly idea and portray it as factual, and imply that Sakurai agrees with you. Sakurai doesn't say "omg WW Link is just some ghey design change and sux and shouldnt be in" - see, Sakurai has this funny idea that biased stupidity has no place in picking the characters.

And hypocrisy? Oh, right, sure, Paper Mario may be the exact same entity - not a different Mario with a different design, but the same person as Mario, but it's the same situation as two different Links, with different backstories, personalities, relationships, appearances, techniques, etc. Characters are included to represent what warrants representation. Do games featuring this design of Link not warrant representation, since they clearly have not gained any at all thus far?

Your logic basically argues that popularity, uniqueness, workability, appearance, notability, and history is all unimportant in determining if this Link warrants inclusion.

So I gotta wonder how people applaud someone for arguing that all these points should be ignored.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Holy crap, it looks like a double whammy as far as deconfirmations are concerned. Both Waluigi (somebody who I said AT status was the best he could hope for) and Stafy (somebody I listed as a probable character in the Other category) both get deconfirmed. Well, at least I get to update my thread. Looks like we may be getting nothing out of CoroCoro, since there was not a character update tonight.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
But is he not called WW Link

Smash, alone, isn't just about the gameplay. It is about the characters and the worlds Nintendo has created. WW Link would just deny people they characters they grew up on and know well. If WW Link is in, then another character is lost. We lose Geno, or Issac, or Claus. Someone is hurt, just for a design change.

Say what you will, he is a design change. NONE of the Links are the same. Does that mean Sakurai is justified by adding every version of Link. Why should he add WW Link. Why is this design change so important. Why not add the OoT design as well. They are also different Links.

And this is where we come to. Link is Link. 1=1. You can't say that 1 is different. It IS 1. X=Y. Those two letters are different, but they are the same. If X is 1, Y isn't all of a sudden 583024.23 to the 10th power. IT'S 1. The same is with Link. All of the Links are different. BUT they are all understood to be Link. With such a strong TP presence, it seems Sakurai is just seeing these as design changes, but all the same characters. Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are all tied together in their story, and while they look different between games, they are the same.
SmashChu you make really good points, but I still think WW Link as a high chance even though he has that going against him.

WW Link is Link in anyway you want to put it. Even though TP Link and WW Link are not the same person, they are still the one and only mascot/hero of Nintendo's series, "Zelda".

However, if we're talking within the Zelda games only, we can clearly tell that the Link that is in Brawl right now mostly represent the Twilinght Princess game. Of course, since it is "Link" he also represents the hero of the Zelda series. But does he, entirely? When I look at him, I mostly think Zelda TP and not just Zelda, but that's just me. However, you can't deny the fact, that the only way he represents all the Links is that he is a swordman with a green tunic, and then there's the storyline, and etc. And that's especially true when you look at Zelda games like WW.

"Smash, alone, isn't just about the gameplay. It is about the characters and the worlds Nintendo has created. " That is true. However, Smash Link represents like 80% of TP and like 20% of WW. And if they don't include him it'd be ignoring something big that Nintendo created. TP Link has been in one game and WW Link has been in 2 plus 2 others (sort of). That makes four not to mention the most recent ones after TP, and you're saying TP Link deserves to be the rep of "Link" more than WW Link?? TP Link does rep all the "Links", but he has "TP" written all over him. In my opinion, WW Link should have been announced before TP, or WW Link should have the Smash Link of Brawl.

And why does everybody keep saying things like, "Might as well add 8-bit Link or Oot Link". This is about WW Link and not anybody else. If you're saying that then that means you're getting why WW Link should be in Brawl. If this is about "deserving", then WW Link definitly deserve the spot of being the Smash Link, if there can only be one. Because thing I see when I look at the Link right now is: TP Link design, the look of Link that the majority likes (I think), and more fitting in Brawl ("realistic/detail looking" or all Adult/TP looking Triforce trio)But that's about it.

Anyways, it's however you wanna look at it. But even though there's already a Link in the game, I still think WW Link is going to make it. Because he has done enough to be part of this game as a playable character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ugh, please stop this pitiful flame war. This is exactly the reason why I was hoping that CoroCoro would leak the full roster. In a little over a month we should know Brawl's roster anyway.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, please stop this pitiful flame war. This is exactly the reason why I was hoping that CoroCoro would leak the full roster. In a little over a month we should know Brawl's roster anyway.
Lol. Sorry, I reallty didn't want to say anything, but I couldn't resist.:p
(And there was no point of my whole post, since you've already pretty much the same things in the first post.................-__-)

I was really hoping for roster too, because this is killing me. At least we now know 2 characters won't be included now.

Top Bottom