• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Rankings

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
The last version of the page looked a lot worse than the current one. It was before the update that it got the Cleanup tag. I wanted to let the mods remove it because I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
I agree, however the inaccuracies are generated by players not attending tournaments, thus you put yourself further down by not showing.

Whilst Capt. Zeppo and Fuzzyness have both recently placed higher than Jam5, Jam5 turned up to both TNJ2 and AR2 and has earned more points as a result, so he's placed higher.

But on the whole, you're right, this is not an accurate representation of skill, but it's all we have. I severely doubt you'd be able to pull an impartial and neutral panel from the UK Scene that everyone would agree to.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Whether it's someones fault for not attending tournamants is really very irellevent because it doesnt make the rankings any more accurate. Im not talking about myself but anyone who cant make a tournament, people cant always be there it's just life.

From what i understand the whole point of a ranking system is to generate a list of the players in order of skill which this list does not do at all, i mean davemans last, he's top 8 so whats the point ?

The ONLY way to do this is by opinions, it cant be based on numbers alone because of the obvious reasons.

In my opinion the list is a little something like this

Top tier (in no order)

Charles, zeppo frostbyte

Second tier ( in no order)

Reacher, myself, jam, ogre, davemans

and whatever after that, im not going into more detail... Im just saying that if we are going to have a list it should atleast be relatively accurate, there's a few AWFUL problems with the system we are using right now and its just not usable.

Aiko

Smash Champion
with all due respect to davemans, not many people have an opinion of him due to lack of tournament appearances. we don't know how he'd pit up against people who didn't attend AR2 (of which there was a high number of important players) so if theres any newcomers, opinions don't really say much. He may very well be top 8, after all you know him, but other people don't.

I think a points system is necessary, but rankings should not be purely done by points. Opinions by top players should come into it too, so that final rankings can be settled.

btw, how do other countries do their rankings?

DevMBC

Smash Ace
I'm of the opinion that the rankings now look as perfect as they ever will..

LOL sweet

J03

Smash Master
the rankings are fine, in a few more tournies, so long as everyone turns up, theyll be accuate. the system is perfect in fairness. its peoples fault if they dont show euan, you know that meng =/ and whilst it doesnt mean anything to do with skill rules have to be abided by, even the best worker gets fired for skipping work. and seeing as NO-ONE will EVER agree on say, giving someone there average points if they miss a tourney, letting them fall down the lisst is the only FAIR way obv.

none of Zeppo, frostbyte or charles should be considered the best if they fail to show up to a tournament, for all we know frostbyte just had some mad good games and is really ****e (obv not true but meh). proffesional play is a harsh but fair world. if you cant handle the way the points are based then argue some more about it. even though most people agree that jam prolly isnt the best player in the UK at this time, hes one of them and has placed 5th+ in all tournies (i think). he has every right to be at the top of the board. if anyone has a problem with that then knock him off the top spot by CONSISTANTLY placing higher then him over the space of a year.

conclusion:
jam is uk no:1 atm NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Mr P

Smash Ace
with all due respect to davemans, not many people have an opinion of him due to lack of tournament appearances. we don't know how he'd pit up against people who didn't attend AR2 (of which there was a high number of important players) so if theres any newcomers, opinions don't really say much. He may very well be top 8, after all you know him, but other people don't.

I think a points system is necessary, but rankings should not be purely done by points. Opinions by top players should come into it too, so that final rankings can be settled.

btw, how do other countries do their rankings?
I agree with with a lot of what your saying. My opinions of course take tournament placings into account and i try to be as unbias as possible but davemans is definately of that kind of calibur, what of the top players were missing from AR2 ? Just Charles as far as i can see. He got 7th place at his first tournie and can only get better from there. In most other places they have a panel to decide the current rankings.

We could continue with the current points system that we have right now, but it certainly shouldnt be the end all of the rankings, it could be used as a refernce for judging the final ranking of a player decided by a panel but whatever, just an idea.

the rankings are fine, in a few more tournies, so long as everyone turns up, theyll be accuate. the system is perfect in fairness. its peoples fault if they dont show euan, you know that meng =/

none of Zeppo, frostbyte or charles should be considered the best if they fail to show up to a tournament, for all we know frostbyte just had some mad good games and is really ****e (obv not true but meh). proffesional play is a harsh but fair world. if you cant handle the way the points are based then argue some more about it. even though most people agree that jam prolly isnt the best player in the UK at this time, hes one of them and has placed 5th+ in all tournies (i think). he has every right to be at the top of the board. if anyone has a problem with that then knock him off the top spot by CONSISTANTLY placing higher then him over the space of a year.

conclusion:
jam is uk no:1 atm NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

To quote the great Isai "you dont know what you're talking about"

First thing, not everyone is going to show up and it would be completely stupid to presume they would because there's always some players that cant attend. In the last year NONE of the tournies have had all of the players there, it's impossible so how can the system be perfect ? If people dont show up, it's probably not entirely their fault we all have lives outside of this game. But just because they didn't show up at the odd tournie every soo often doesn't mean that their skill as a player has depreciated. Jam is a very good player, one of the best in the UK but how can the top ranked player in the UK NEVER have won a tournie ? There's atleast a couple of players that are clearly better than him and it makes the rankings decieving. "meng"

Aiko

Smash Champion
jam: if you retire, you'll be off the leaderboards in no time! Defend your position =D what does DevMBC stand for? (sorry, im newschool XD)

Euan: Of the top players, only Kone comes to my mind immediately (not including charles), but I'm talking about the high seeds. Because a large number of these were missing, other people had to be seeded, resulting in a biased result overall.

Btw I agree with JO3. This is the UK pro circuit and if you miss a tournament, thats tough. Tournaments are planned as best as possible for everyone to come. If you love smash enough, you'll give up almost anything to attend. I appreciate sometimes its impossible attend or something unexpected may come up but thats how it is. If you have an extensive life outside smash, then fine, but don't expect to be pampered when people try their hardest to attend every tournament, regardless of skill level.

monty06

Smash Ace
the rankings there are wrong im not on it im now on 6.2 points so should be 13th above geek

Mr P

Smash Ace
This is not a question of being pampered, it's about trying to rank players accordingly based on their skill level. Otherwise what the hell is the point in doing a rankings ? I have missed two of the ranked UK tournaments, i seriously hope that you are not questioning my love of smash Aiko when those are the only 2 UK tournaments i have missed in nearly 3 and a half years. The number of the events you attend shouldn't be factored soo heavily in deciding the rankings of players.

What i would suggest is that we keep the ranking system as it is now but have a panel discuss the issue farther so that players like Davemans aren't left sitting in 16th position when they are clearly better than that.

J03

Smash Master
euan: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ theres always gonna be to views, the 'hard' and the 'soft'

your the soft, you think we should assign people there rank based upon logic and thought. problem is somepeople think zeppo is the best in the UK, yet he has never won a tournament...so he cant actually be the best.

im the hard (cant wait for some immature joke about this obv)- facts and figures approach, feelings and emotions take a back seat to results. if zeppo is the best, he would have won a tournament. therefore he isnt the best, jam has never won a tournament therefore he isnt the best. seemingly contridictive soooo this system was made, fact is euantaro, if you dont like it, thats your opinion, so imo stop complaining coz its not going to be changed so your 'feelings' can be taken into account

DevMBC

Smash Ace
gtfo joe meng you'll have the current no1 in the UK to answer to >:3

J03

Smash Master
naw mang, i got this **** down, ive mad read stevies kirby guide, your going down

so vote for J03 as UK no:1 because a vote for me, is a vote for a jerk, and everyone loves a jerk

Aiko

Smash Champion
Euan: im not arguing your love for the game, it shows for itself. But we need a way to distinguish whos best. A points system is often used in many pro sports/circuits. I'm going to take an example from Japans Pro Go circuit.

Go is a board game, similar to how people in this country play chess proffessionally. Pro Go players are given skill levels from 1-9 with 1 being the lowest and 9 the highest. To move up ranks you must be within a top number of players from all people within your rank as well as being able to compete with higher ranked players (given that a ranks difference would be equivalent to a stock in our terms, eg a rank 4 should theoretically 3-4 stock a rank 1). If you were to miss, say, 3 months of pro games as a rank 1, you would have to make up for that, even if you were able to beat players several ranks above you because the games you missed are retained. So it may take many months before you are back to normal, because of the absence.

I appreciate why you think our current system is unfair, so perhaps you can think of something more suitable?

edit: i give a negative vote for JO3

grayfox

Smash Champion
the only way we could have a fair system rankings wise and brackets wise is to have everyone play eachother in a new system other than double elim >_O swiss or a series of pools

Also, i vote joe lol

Mr P

Smash Ace
guys LOL i know, lets not take anything seriously mengz it makes you mad cool, i mean nobody successful ever took anything seriously. obv :x

DevMBC

Smash Ace
Ryansucks - Don't look back in anger says:
gsocks=god tier
Jam says:
lol obvz
jotaro | UK no:1 says:
obv

J03

Smash Master
Jam says (01:31):
but I've got a new found lust for not smoking yet again =o
uchiha craigtaru O: says (01:31):
little boys?
Jam says (01:31):
umm
uchiha craigtaru O: says (01:32):
its little boys isnt it jam
always with the little boys
>___>;
Jam says (01:32):
gtfo >:3
Ryansucks - Don't look back in anger says (01:32):
XD
jotaro | UK no:1 says (01:33):
XXXXDDDD

convo rank is no:1 obv

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I say rankings are pointless altogether.Even the position someone gets in a tourney doesnt necessarily mean much.I know some of you may think "no johns,if he was better,he would have placed higher" but thats just bull****,Reacher lost to me and Frostbyte to get 5th at AR2.Me and Frostbyte were the two finalists at that tournament.So basically,if Reacher hadnt got an unlucky bracket he could have been anywhere between 5th and 3rd.Same happened to Jam at Edster.
At Edmas,Euan,Charles and myself all lost to Kone and Doug,but through luck of the bracket I ended up 3rd.Had Euan,Charles or even Phil had my bracket,any one of them would have gotten 3rd.

There is nothing wrong with a bracket,in terms of adrenaline and exciting matches there is nothing better.But they are not always accurate,which doesnt really matter unless we are talking about ranking systems.

So let alone that the UK rankings are flawed,its hard to say when a tournament even makes accurate positions anyway.

Sure theres a sense of achievement when you gain a few places in the rankings,thats why they were created in the first place,they were not some serious consensus of who are the best in the UK,the original idea was to get alot of people to step it up.

Joe:what is this feelings banter?Euan didnt mention feelings at all.And wtf at calling Euan the most modest guy in smash a few days ago and then calling him self righteous:laugh:

J03

Smash Master
zeppotaro- made it up obv

in response to your original (now edited XD) post. i think hes modest about his skills
i think hes imposing in his views. that and i have mad violent mood swings, there good times really, till blood pours from my ***** for 4 days straight

DevMBC

Smash Ace
Sure theres a sense of achievement when you gain a few places in the rankings,thats why they were created in the first place,they were not some serious consensus of who are the best in the UK,the original idea was to get alot of people to step it up.
Y'all need to taste the pleasures of being best in the UK, it's pretty hella sweet

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Come on guys. The rankings aren't perfect but tournament results are a lot better to go on than opinions. Euan claims Davemans is higher than 16th which I also agree on, but hes only been to one tournament so 16th he is. Zeppo, the luck of the draw can be good or bad but it's unavoidable. If we just be patient and let the rankings be, more and more tournament results will be added to it making them more accurate.

Davemans really should come to more tourneys. He's a **** good player and he needs to show it

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
One more thing:

presenting the Liverpool based crew, wings of corruption!!!!!!

Current players:
Aiko (Fox)
Bullet Bill (Dr Mario)
Wire Frame (Falco)
AMCD (Peach)

We've finally decided on a name. Better than the liverpool crew at least.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
what happened to

"team toast"

Top Bottom