• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Typing Tiers

JOE!

Smash Hero
(dunno if this has been done before, but w/e...my search-fu skills brought up nothing)

So, in light of my SWF-Dex, the Smash-CAP, and just the metagame in general, I thought it may be fun to get a group opinion on what typings are the best...and worst overall.

Seeing as there are *153 possible typings [/B](154 if we count ??? type), it may take a while to weed out them all. So in the mean time, i propose we could focus on specifics?

So, to start: top 5 best/worst offensive and defensive combinations

In my opinion, i think the best offensive combo would have to be Fighting/Dragon. It has STAB that is resisted ONLY by Steel/Ghost, meaning it has free offensive reign over all 138 other typings, including itself.

Worst would have to go to just pure Steel. Not only is it the only type to have twice as many types resisting it as there are weak to it (4 vs 2), but the steel type moves in general kinda suck...except for bullet punch on Scizor.

Defensively however, i think the best has to go to Elec/Steel. Sure it *does* have weaknesses, but you cant really compete with 12 resistances and an immunity. But with magnet rise, it gains another immunity AND gets rid of it's major weakness.

Worst defensive typing would have to go to good ol' Rock/Ground. No other typing that I'm aware of has 6 weaknesses, including 2 x4 weaknesses. Sure, it has 5 resists (with a 1/4th to poison, lol) but 6 weaknesses that attack it's holes in spec defense as a type (water/grass esp) really drag it down.

what are your thoughts?

Offense:

Best:

Worst: Poison

Defense:

Best: Ghost / Steel

Worst: Bug / Grass

*thanks to riddle for fixing my mathz

Oh, almost forgot: THE ULTIMATE TYPE-TOOL!

Riddle

Smash Lord
Steel as the worst offensive typing? What about poison. Horrible moves AND horrible coverage it really has nothing going for it.

Also, I got 153 type combinations (154 with ???). 17 x 17 (number of possible dual-type combinations) - 17 (gets rid of normal/normal, water/water, etc.) /2 (gets rid of the duplicates) and then + 17 (pure types)

EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64264

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmn looks like you're right

oh, and I actually over-looked poison...

right again riddle, Poison has only 1 good defesning type (Grass), but has 4 resiters, and a type with immunity...worse than Steel's issue :p

Updating OP

c3gill

Smash Ace
your assuming that all move types see equal usage?

because as a defensive typing, electric/steel is weak to fire, ground, and fighting. all 3 are pretty prevalent move types used in the current metagame.

even with the path you took- ele/steel isnt the best. steel/flying gets rid of both the ground and fighting weaknesses. only SE from fire and ele. 1 less resist, but 1 less weakness. and no 4x weaknesses is pretty massive.

edit- im not going to bother thinking about typings that currently are not grouped together.... so yea there are prob. better true defensive typings, but atm Steel/fly is best imo.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Dear god I never realized how beast a dragon/fighting would be. It'd look so cool, too. Unless they did something off the wall with it.

where would Steel/Dragon stand, though? Only weak to two things, or then again, maybe Steel/flying would be better as it's only weak to fire.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
The Garchomp evolution line and Flygon have the best REAL offensive typing in Pokemon.

Dragon/Ground brings a STAB EQ, and a STAB Outrage/Dragon Claw. On top of that, there are only two things that this incredible dual-STAB combo is resisted by in the entire game: Levizong, and Skarmory.

But Dragon/Fighting does sound pretty cool though.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
steel/ghost is the best defensive typing

you're weak to fire and ground, resist everything not listed, immune to fighting, normal, and poison, then neutral to water, electric, ghost, and dark

smogon did a type rating thing of every possible type and ghost/steel was the best defensive typing by far and overall the best type

worst defensive type is bug/grass

JOE!

Smash Hero
allrighty then, makes sense

I think we *should* count typing that have not appeared yet, as in the future they should bound to show up either through new gens, or just CAP. And for the sake of argument we could say all types saw equal usage, hence why we have a ghost /steel as the best defensive

so we have our best and worst defensives....now the 4 runner ups to each? :p

mood4food77

Smash Hero
best offensive could be...

fighting/rock?

grass/ice for runner up for worst defensive typing

JOE!

Smash Hero
Fight/Rock....yay Rexxor :p

but I think Dragon/Fight may be the best in that it is the only offensive typing to have only 1 counter that is soft (steel/ghost ironically)

Ghost/fight is also practically unresited, but a ghost/normal is immune to both it's STABs

Moozle

Smash Champion
Ice/Electric is another really good attacking combination.

It's hard to rank types because they all have really different movepools. For example, Grass isn't the most defensive type, but there are ton of really defensive grass moves.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'd go with only real typings, not made up stuff like Fighting / Dragon, etc.

And we should start with just types as a whole.

Water - Balance
Dragon - Offense [Superior]
Steel - Defense [Best pure] // Empoleon, Magnezone
Fire - Offense

Stuff like that.

-Terywj

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Fire should be a great type, but Gamefreak treats it like a ******* child, and the ever prescence of Stealth Rocks keeps most out of OU. Fire is CONSIDERED bad because Bulky Waters, Earthquake, and Stealth Rock keep them out of OU, but Heatran and Infernape have shown that with the right movepool and stats Fire can be powerful even with an enviroment its not suited for.

This is why I never liked "good typing" "bad typing" talk. Someone on Smogon tried to say that any pokemon who is grass will instantly be bad, and he got tore up by everyone on there for Shayman Sky Form, Celebi, Roserade, and Breloom. Its all about the metagame and gamefreak's decision to give the tools that pokemon needs.
This, seriously.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Wow, placing all the types into tiers is a mammoth task. Kudos to you just for attempting it..

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it doesn't matter really era it was fun, it didn't take the attacks into account

i don't think it takes into account what pokemon have that type either nor how common that type appears

just the use of the weakness/resistance chart, and only the use of STAB

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
it doesn't matter really era it was fun, it didn't take the attacks into account

i don't think it takes into account what pokemon have that type either nor how common that type appears
Then we should ignore that post EVEN MORE.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it helps at least, i'm not saying we should completely abide by it, but for reference it helps

Riddle

Smash Lord
Riddle's link that you posted gives only statistically worst typings in an outdated competitive setting.
The ratings are completely objective analyses with no correlation to any metagame. How could it possibly be outdated. Its a statistical representation of how well each type does based on resistances and weaknesses. That's basically what we are doing here.

And you do realize I posted that link already right m4f?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The ratings are completely objective analyses with no correlation to any metagame. How could it possibly be outdated. Its a statistical representation of how well each type does based on resistances and weaknesses. That's basically what we are doing here.
I know now >_>
i'm not saying we should completely abide by it
Yeah, you kind of are:
actually, the worst defensive typing is ice/rock

but the overall worst type combo is bug/grass

here's the thread if you all are wondering:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64264

Riddle

Smash Lord
Anyway if we are doing what I think we are here than that thread makes this one completely useless.

That was kinda...vague.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
well, when you look at it, you can pretty much use the defensive typing tiers straight from that rating

and bug/grass is pretty much a given horrendous type combo for either offensive or defensive

i agree with riddle
our list is not going to differ much from that one

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Bug / Grass is pretty awesome. Resists Earthquake, Thunderbolt, and Surf, three of the best and most often used attacks in the game. inb4someonedoesn'tgetsarcasm

ss118

Smash Master
Ice is much worse defensively than any other type. At least Bug and grass CAN be useful(Celebi/ Forretress).

Best offensive type is Dragon. Der.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Well, our list for defensive wont alter that much, but others may

and I vote that we should use non-presented type combinations, as we never know when gamefreak will make it so.

On that note, maybe we should move onto offensive typings, as the defensives were allready calculated?

I still hold by Dragon/Fight beign the hands-down best combo for being on the offense STAB wise and movepool wise

By movepool, i mean by the attacks associated with being a type, such as a fire type usually learning flamethrower/etc

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Fighting has one major weakness, you switch in a ghost for free. I don't think I would ever agree with fighting being on top, or any type with an immunity.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yes, but then you can just hit it with a dragon move with STAB

sure, not S/E, but ghost doesnt resist it

Riddle

Smash Lord
That rules out normal, fighting, psychic, ghost, electric, fire, water, ground, and poison. Leaving us with dragon, rock, steel, ice, dark, flying, bug, and grass.

If we rule out steel, flying, grass, and bug we are left with dragon, rock, ice, and dark.

JOE!

Smash Hero
That rules out normal, fighting, psychic, ghost, electric, fire, water, ground, and poison. Leaving us with dragon, rock, steel, ice, dark, flying, bug, and grass.

If we rule out steel, flying, grass, and bug we are left with dragon, rock, ice, and dark.
hmm?

10whats this for?

JOE!

Smash Hero
ah, you meant for best "pure"

gotcha

but i still wanna know if anyone disagrees with this so far:

1: Dragon/Fight
2:Ghost/Fight

?

c3gill

Smash Ace
i no longer see a point to this thread- if your not using types that are in the current games. for all we know, certain types may never be grouped together. or even worse, new types may be released.

So for best offensive type, ima go ahead and suggest Heavy/Brutal. Hits everything but Emo for SE.

Best defensive type- Rubber/Glass. and the only poke with this typing has the HP of bliss, defensive stats of shuckle, and the movepool of lugia.

JOE!

Smash Hero
....way to troll

what i meant by non-existant typings was non-existant type combinations, such as dragon/fighting 9seeing as there is no current pokemon that is both dragon and fighting, but it is still legit in that there may be one someday)

Top Bottom