• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Triforce of Toon: A Community Toon Link Guide

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
IDK what to say...Our grab is bad. Except with stuff like MK's Dsmash. Having the ability to auto-punish that is great...

Hyro

Smash Lord
Ok, here are the facts.

You have to use your grab. Sorry, but you do. Just use it until you get good at it because if not, your opponent can just shield the entire match.

Rock paper scissors. If you're opponent knows you're never going to use rock, he can scissors ALL the time and NEVER lose.

Anyways, every throw is the same exact thing, 7%. So all you gotta do is mix it up. If you back threw recently, fthrow. If you uthrew, dthrow. Dthrow, bthrow, whatever as long as you get the most damage out of it.

Grab release to usmash on Wario and MK...IF they mash jump, which they shouldn't.

Dthrow doesn't true combo so you're probably not gonna get a bair from it unless your opponent is just slow. Dthrow is good for reads. They airdodge, you can bair/charge a smash/grab again. They double jump (IMO the smartest option and what they SHOULD do) you can FH a bair. The best option for them would be to DJ with an aerial to get away.

Bthrow is my favorite because it's the quickest. They might mis-DI it at higher percents to set you up for a gimp. I like the position it puts them in, very vulnerable. The most common thing I do is bthrow, then run up and nair them. It works a lottt of the time because it's soooo fast. When you bthrow someone offstage, DON'T be an 08 toon link and try to gimp them. 90% of the time, they're going to double jump back on stage with a bair (because they're back will be facing towards you. Just shield that and punish. Bthrow is also waaaaaaaay to good for tech chases. Whenever they hit the floor just run up and tech chase. They're most likely gonna roll AWAY so run past them.

Uthrow heavies on BF to the platforms then aerial them. I think it has the most killing potential out of our throws at suuuuper high percents.

Fthrow is stupid but it's just good depending on where you want your opponent to be so you can have more stage control, or to just get them off the stage.

I wouldn't try grab release mindgames with Toon Link...it's not like our jab is extremely fast and yeah you can grab again but it's pretty obvious that you're going to...maybe just because I main him?

Times to grab:

Grab when people airdodge to the ground. That's how I learned to grab. But it's different now because people will bait grabs with airdodging to the ground and buffering a spotdodge...that works lol. So you just gotta do it when they're not expecting you to grab. Like waiting for them to airdodge out of a bair combo.

Zair to grab obviously is way too legit, but sometimes you'll feel that you zaired them and that they're too FAR to grab. This is gonna give them time to spotdodge...which they usually will (as long as you've zair to grabbed them enough). That's where zair to pivot grab comes in.

Like everyone in brawl, if you know someone is gonna spotdodge, just pivot grab them...it's like automatically waiting for the spotdodge.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
what if they spotdodge c stick like falco: spotdodge

tl: har har I R PIVOT GRABBING YOU

falco:AAAAAAAA D SMASH ******Z

TL:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Once again Hyro saves the day. Now that is the kind of post I've been asking for. You hit the nail right in the face with a sledge hammer. You actually did more then I asked. You gave a splendid summary of the throws as well which I will use in the next discussion when I write it up.
So pretty much, there's no need for any more replys on this one. I'll write it up as soon as I get home from college.

@Everyone else that isn't hyro: For future reference, try to model your posts as closely as possible to what hyro has just done here and this will be done in no time at all. Thank you.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Great post by Hyro. Just wanted to say that buffering a roll works the same as spotdodge for the grabbing a landing opponent thing.

Thebest1pj

Once again Hyro saves the day. Now that is the kind of post I've been asking for. You hit the nail right in the face with a sledge hammer. You actually did more then I asked. You gave a splendid summary of the throws as well which I will use in the next discussion when I write it up.
So pretty much, there's no need for any more replys on this one. I'll write it up as soon as I get home from college.

@Everyone else that isn't hyro: For future reference, try to model your posts as closely as possible to what hyro has just done here and this will be done in no time at all. Thank you.
yea thats what i meant by unless someone makes a bigass post we need more info and hyro made a big *** post lol

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
As promised, it's updated! The Grab and Pummel are done.

We now move on to the Throws. I am aware that some stuff has already been said about the throws and I will be gladly using that info when I update, so this is really just a chance for anyone who wanted to say something about the throws to contribute.

So anything that you wanted to say about Toon's throws, go right ahead. Note: we are talking about throwing opponents not items.
Edit: That goes for opponent's items as well.

MJG

Smash Hero
-Instant throwing is a pretty useful aspect to the game (especially when Playing snake and Diddy). Only downfall when playing snake is that they can cook the grenade and make you drop it whenever they like (unless you picked up the second grenade that was thrown out). If toonlink decides to Z drop a bomb on a platform on a stage such as battlefield, then they can instant throw the bomb from the platform.

-Jump Cancelled Throw is useful because toonlink can be running in one direction while holding a bomb, Jump then instantly hitting A (or the desired keys) and throw the bomb in the opposite direction. Other than this, toonlink can get a slight boost from doing then (not as big as glide tossing though :()

bad habiT

Smash Rookie
This is a great thread, heres some comments on Toons grabgame:
D-throw's simply not useful, only at battlefield or under platforms in general can it lead into a combo.
B-throw is very effective when forcing an edgegame(an example would be against a Lucario) if that's your thing or getting your opponent away from you to spam projectiles or B-air. Arguably his best throw.
U-throw reasonably leads into a good anti-air approach with bombs and U-air(Useful tactic vs. Olimar).
F-throw is quick and you could perhaps pull off a short hop F-air or Quickdraw after but that i'm not sure,

Out of them all, B-throw and U-throw are better for comboing and putting your adversary where you want them to be. The damage is the same so it's just that, where do you want your opponent? I would rather them be behind or above so I can be ready with B-air or U-air.

As for grabs in general same with D-air, be precise and don't get punished by uneccessary lag, Run and grab only if you absolutely know they're shielding otherwise DONT, I shield-grab primarily cuz it's safer.

The only use I have for Fthrow is in Doubles. Other than that, use it as a random mixup.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@mjg: Nice try, but as you will find out if you read my previous post, we were talking about throwing people, not items.

Never the less, as I said, we were talking about the throws, because we are no longer talking about them because we are.....

Moving On!!

Last one for the Move set discussion!

We are now talking about the ledge attacks and the getup attack. More specifically, the ledge attack < 100%, the ledge attack > 100% and the attack that Toon does after a trip, a missed tech or things like Snake's D-throw.

This is the last one for the moveset discussion so let's get it done and out of the way already. With it done, the hard part of the guide is also done.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
What's with all the Hyro avatars? Has Hyro started a cult? I'm sure I'd find out if I was bothered to look in the GD or something.......
While I'm at it, why hasn't my avatar been working for a few days now? Hmm.....

@mjg: Please don't stop contributing, just make sure you know what we're discussing first is all.

So how about we get this done now?
I don't have time to write it up right now anyway so no worries that nothing's been said yet, but when I do get time, I'd be surprised to see nothing is still done. Mind you, I'd write it up anyway whether anything's been said or not. A lack of responses won't stop this from getting done, it just might need to be re-done at some point latter on.

If you're not sure what we're discussing, check the top of the OP or my last post.

Alzi

Smash Master
Stop using his avatar i actually thought it was Hyro you guys are making him look noob lol.

Fox smashboards had avatar issues you need to re-upload your avatar.

Hmm next discussion might take some time.

The invincibility frames don't cover our get up attack's hitbubbles. They go away before our attacks come out. That's for the getup attack and the under 100%.

Our regular getup attack is easily punishable if they shield the first hit, and slightly less punishable if they get hit by the second. I wouldn't depend on this. It's best to use this as a mixup, since our roll isn't great either. It's like having 3 bad options, and we're picking which one is less bad.

I'll put the invincibility frames .pac in when I get home and double-check that (the first sentence).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Finally!!!!!!!!

I finally got some spare time. I've been so busy lately 24/7 and having my car break down didn't help, but that's not the point. The point is....

This thread is updated!
We are moving on!
The Moveset Discussion is finally over!

This means we can actually discuss something different. (yeah I got sick of the exclamation marks, just read the rest with unnecessary enthusiasm)

We are now discussing Combos. But wait, I know you're just busting to start posting and I can understand how you're feeling, but because this is a whole new discussion, it means I've gotta make sure you know what we're discussing. This is just so I get the right kind of feedback I'm looking for, so yes, unfortunately you will need to read this next short paragraph.

Take for example the simple Bair chain. What will we discuss? We'll need to discuss how best to start it, how best to continue it for as long as possible, different strategies (just for things like baiting responses), personal preferences and a whole heap of stuff that it's hard to describe in words just now that I'll add later if I need to. As for which combos we should discuss, that's entirely up to you to choose. Just keep in mind that we're talking about strings of attacks/projectiles, not what you can throw out in one SH. So things like the Bair chain as I mentioned, the Utilt chain, Bomb to anything, returning boomerang to anything, Zair to many things, these are all strings of attacks that are to a certain extent extremely hard to get out of (once you get hit initially) to the point where we can call them combos.

I have given you the freedom to talk about whatever you want for now (combo related of course, see last paragraph), but later on, I'll probably go more in depth with some combos that I think need more detail. This time, unlike last time, I'll write a combo up and we can still talk about it straight away if you want more added or something corrected. This is a trial run, if it doesn't work out, we'll have to go back to the original 'one at a time' stuffs.

And with that, I'm done for now. Discuss!!!!!!! (I couldn't help myself, just count those as exclaimated exclamation marks)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Zair to nair.. I've always wondered, is this LEGIT or can they SDI backwards and punish the follow up? (in this case the follow up is nair)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Did I miss something? What happened to all the Toon Links? I know I've been away for a while but seriously, it just seems a bit dead atm. I hope it's just one of those phases that the boards go through. I was expecting to write something up..... maybe I'll just fix the pics in my other thread.
To anyone that's still out there, let's hear some thoughts on our topic of discussion please. I can't do this all on my own.
(well I can, but it won't be that great, so yeah)

I'm not alive right now, but I'll resurrect later tonight and post something interesting.

Thebest1pj

welp idk much about tls combos but umm

at low percents is the best time to try any kind of combo because well they wont fly as far known combos include

bair bair to foostool to dair: this is when your ONSTAGE and you bair yolur opponent twice then footstool them to put their *** back on the ground then dair now the first hit wil work but some people will shield the next dair if they do you should let go of dair if not youll end up having a laggy dair right near them but if you manage to hit them with the second dair you could follow up with a fast falled bair then go from there

bair to bair to nair to nair: lol be fast when you try this fast fall the nairs

up tilt tilt to bair string

kizzu combo...bair to bair to bair then footstool to dair them offstage i recommend you not try this unless
....just dont try it offstage ******* lol

im the amount of bairs i say in each combo varies so ye experiment

projectiles

this ones pretty solid not much a combo as it is a (possible)shield breaker:
pull a bomb throw your boomerang the other way(as in behind you not towards your opponent) run past them turn around wavebounce arrow cancel throw the bomb run rar bair them you should catch the bomb while bairing there shield

so the boomerang should hit thier shield the two arrows should the bomb should and your sword should depening on your timing the bomb might explode while your baring in that case you can dair down and bounce them up with dair then nair or somethen

grounded up b to thrown bomb at low percents works

pull a bomb AD zair to z drop bomb nair t recatch then throw it ? lol

umm thats just some stuff that was on my mind you guys ca disregard it fix it up call it wrong if you want im just trying to get this thread moving again:)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok then. It is apparent that this discussion will need some structure.

Listen carefully, or rather, read carefully.

I'll do the combos one at a time. Starting with the Bair combo.
Because the Bair combo is so diverse, I shall outline a few areas we shall be exploring in particular.

When you post, I'd appreciate it if you could answer the following questions as best you can. The questions however are more like guidelines, so if you want to go into more detail about anything or if there's something I haven't mentioned that you believe is needed or if you want to stray off topic because you deem it relevant, feel free.

How do you start a Bair chain? By spacing? Punishing (punishing what, laggy moves, airdodges/spotdodges/rolls)? Combo into it (with what)? All of the above (then do tell)? Anything else I haven't mentioned?

How long will you continue the Bair chain? As long as possible (how do you keep it going)? A few hits and then gtfo (how many hits are we talking)? What tells you that you should stop (the get too far away, instinct)?

How do you finish the Bair chain? Do you have a finishing move or sequence of moves (if so, descibe how to pull it off)? Do you space yourself and resume spam? (Answers will of course vary in certain situations, so describe the situation and say how you finish it. Situations could be on/off stage close to the ground or high up.)

What kind of percents are we talking about here? What percents is it best started and finished on (just roughly. percents will of course vary with characters and staling)? How much percentage do you think we can rack up (can this be improved on)?

What can be done to escape the Bair chain and how do you deal with it? Things like DI, SDI, airdodging, moves with invincibility frames at the start and MK should be discussed here, not to mention of course, how to deal with it (no this is not a MK discussion thread XD).

Any general info you have on the Bair chain that hasn't been mentioned yet? Any misc info?

But that should pretty much cover it. As you can see, it's not too much of a hassle (well I don't think so, but... you never know). Once we're done with the Bair chain, I'll write it up and let you know what's next.

Because the Bair combo is so diverse, I shall outline a few areas we shall be exploring in particular.

When you post, I'd appreciate it if you could answer the following questions as best you can. The questions however are more like guidelines, so if you want to go into more detail about anything or if there's something I haven't mentioned that you believe is needed or if you want to stray off topic because you deem it relevant, feel free.

How do you start a Bair chain? By spacing? Punishing (punishing what, laggy moves, airdodges/spotdodges/rolls)? Combo into it (with what)? All of the above (then do tell)? Anything else I haven't mentioned?

There are numerous ways to start a bair chain. One is to get a grab at low % and Dthrow. Depending on your percent, you might have to do a Utilt before you start a bair chain. If you Dthrow at very low percents, the enemy won't pop up as high, which means he'll be within the Utilt hitbox. Hit him with a Utilt and the enemy will be high enough to SH Bair.

If after the Dthrow he pops up just above the Utilt range, just SH to Bair.

Other than that, there is no real way to force a Bair chain. Best way to start a Bair chain is to land your first bair while rising. It's best to do this because then you can just do another bair immediately after the first one is finished.

How long will you continue the Bair chain? As long as possible (how do you keep it going)? A few hits and then gtfo (how many hits are we talking)? What tells you that you should stop (the get too far away, instinct)?

The bair chain isn't a true combo, so it's possible to escape it. However, the whole chain requires you to improvise with what you've got (in terms of enemy percents, bair staleness, where the bair is sending your opponent, if there are any platforms you can land/jump off of, obstacles).

You will know when you need to back off. For one, it's possible that you run out of jumps. Two, it's possible that the enemy gets sent too far and you won't be able to reach him. Three, there might be an obstacle in the way. Four, he might be able to attack you before you attack him with another bair. Things like that. If you don't see a GUARANTEED bair, you should think twice about it.

Even if they have a couple of frames to escape it, it might not be enough, which means you could probably squeeze in one more bair before you finish. However, with those couple of frames, it's very possible that they'll escape. It's all based on improvisation imo.

How do you finish the Bair chain? Do you have a finishing move or sequence of moves (if so, descibe how to pull it off)? Do you space yourself and resume spam? (Answers will of course vary in certain situations, so describe the situation and say how you finish it. Situations could be on/off stage close to the ground or high up.)

If he's below you, you have a couple of options. One, you could footstool, read his direction, then Dair. You could also just go straight for the dair, although this is very risky, since your enemy could probably just air dodge. If he's above you and you have a jump left, Uair. If he's above you and you don't have any jumps left, ALTHOUGH I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL, you could chase him with an UpB.

What kind of percents are we talking about here? What percents is it best started and finished on (just roughly. percents will of course vary with characters and staling)? How much percentage do you think we can rack up (can this be improved on)?

IDK
What can be done to escape the Bair chain and how do you deal with it? Things like DI, SDI, airdodging, moves with invincibility frames at the start and MK should be discussed here, not to mention of course, how to deal with it (no this is not a MK discussion thread XD).

I don't know, I never get bair chained, I just bair.
Any general info you have on the Bair chain that hasn't been mentioned yet? Any misc info?

The Bair Chain is a Toon Link staple.

But that should pretty much cover it. As you can see, it's not too much of a hassle (well I don't think so, but... you never know). Once we're done with the Bair chain, I'll write it up and let you know what's next.

im o

Kaffei

Smash Hero
TWiNK said:
Fox Is Openly Deceptive said:
IDK
Lmfao :laugh:

Thebest1pj

There are numerous ways to start a bair chain, imo the easiest and most used way to start one would be the uptilt to bair i suppose its not easy to land just easy to do as you see here riot airdodges the second hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8y3St8gkNI#t=3m27 they could shield grab you ect but yea, now if you look here in santis combo vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmxNpybHI0 you see ways that could work nair trip them they might roll towards you after a trip allowing for a bair chain,whiff a grab or (not seen in the vid or used alot) give up your spacing and zair then rar bair them (i dont think dthrow to bair works due to them being able to jump after

this depends on the stage/size opponent i was able to build massive damage on san because i was able to bair him to where SHing wasnt gonna work so jumped and used the platforms to gain height and hit him more plus hes ike where he gonna go? lol but it could work just as well wth other characters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31Mj_ppng8#t=4m40 as you see here hyro catches gnes by baiting airdodges and hitting him with a mix of regular and ff bairs

onstage low dair, let them land and grab or let them land and fsmash(not the best choice they may shield it) , offstage low throw a boomerang, onstage high up air, offstage high up b or boomerang to name a few

best started at a low percent depending on your reading skills, speed, trickery bair can wrack up massive damage
it all works with upon how you play and what situation your in

hold r noobs
vmk and bair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DrH69_Mq6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Q1KXVzIcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAsiWbg2naM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrAtfL33P4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA62KJbumE0

zair to bair bombs to bair as in throw a bomb they shield it you run rar bair so now your bairing with a bomb remember you can fast fall bairs

there i was gone allll day thats why i never posted about it sorry lol

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Just to clarify, when I said, what can be done to escape the Bair chain and how do you deal with it, I meant what can the opponent do to escape the Bair chain and how do we deal with it. Simple example, they airdodge to escape it, how do you counter this? It seems simple, because it is. Another example, they try to SDI the bair in any given direction, how do you continue the Bair chain (answers will include how to deal with most directions).

Anyway. Great replies guys! I think I might have to ask specific questions from now on in that same style so we can keep the discussion going.

Feel free to reply if you haven't so far. I'll write this up when I get a chance (I'm still kinda loaded down with work atm).

Cheers.

Thebest1pj

Just to clarify, when I said, what can be done to escape the Bair chain and how do you deal with it, I meant what can the opponent do to escape the Bair chain and how do we deal with it. Simple example, they airdodge to escape it, how do you counter this? It seems simple, because it is. Another example, they try to SDI the bair in any given direction, how do you continue the Bair chain (answers will include how to deal with most directions).

Anyway. Great replies guys! I think I might have to ask specific questions from now on in that same style so we can keep the discussion going.

Feel free to reply if you haven't so far. I'll write this up when I get a chance (I'm still kinda loaded down with work atm).

Cheers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31Mj_ppng8#t=4m40

bam

Top Bottom