• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Touhou Project Thread

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
I asked to F8AL for creating this.
Touhou is a popular (in Japan) shooter...
This is a general thread, feel free to post discussions, images, videos and much more!

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
EoSD is one of my favorites... Actually, most of the shooters (not the fighting ones) are epic...
But seems that Ten Desires is getting to easy!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Which game would be a good one to start with if I have no knowledge of Touhou?

Lovely

Smash Lord
Which game would be a good one to start with if I have no knowledge of Touhou?
♣ Most would say Embodiment of Scarlet Devil or Perfect Cherry Blossom. I would say Imperishable Night because it gives you a variety of characters to use, and the difficult level doesn't get crazy until the 4th level. I would avoid Subterranean Animism and Undefined Fantastic Object if your new to the Touhou shooters, the gameplay is harder to get use than the rest of the series IMO. ♥

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
Imprerishable Night is so hard for me...
The time system cracks me up

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Difficulty ratings for (Windows danmaku) Touhou games
(from easiest to hardest)

Easy
Imperishable Night
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (because it only goes up to stage 5 LOL)
Mountain of Faith
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Subterranean Animism
Unidentified Fantastic Object

Normal
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Mountain of Faith
Imperishable Night
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Subterranean Animism
Unidentified Fantastic Object

No idea on the other two difficulties.

I hear there are people playing Immaterial and Missing Power all of a sudden. If you play IaMP, please play some games with me. :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm talking about difficulty in terms of 1cc's, btw, not beating the game (in which case EoSD and IN are harder because continuing too much punishes you to the point of not actually letting you clear the game, and MoF is somewhat harder because you start from the beginning of the stage with 3 lives when you continue).

fkacyan

Smash Hero
IaMP is great except for the fact that two equally skilled opponents can literally play a game that never ends. I'm not even kidding.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I still think IN is the easiest out of all touhou games for easy and normal difficulty. I didn't have any trouble with the time system at all. The time frame for death bombing is absurdly long and you have "Spell Practice." The border team is clearly the best group out of the 4 teams. So unless you're playing the ghost team (Youmu x Yuyu), going through the game is really easy.

You can also bomb your way through MoF normal (1cc) or even use marisa B's laser glitch.

Also, mizuumi's wiki isn't the one the english community goes to (for Soku; it's not called unl)
http://hisouten.koumakan.jp/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
bell took the mizuumi wiki down because he doesn't care for the game, and gave the SWR/soku community the wiki archives so they could set up their own.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Yeah, but there was a period of time when mizuumi actually had a soku wiki afterwards. No idea why he'd make one again but it's gone now once more o_O. Oh well.

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
Ten Desires is getting pretty nice...
But, the difficult is too easy, probably when it comes, I will try hard on the first shot

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I play Gradius, Parodius, Ikaruga, R-Type and other SHMUPS.

I also like quite a few indie bullet hell games like 'Hello Panda'.

Would I like this series? If so, which one should I play first?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've heard the Perfect Cherry Blossom is one of the best.

Though I haven't played any of the others, so I can't say for sure. :I

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
PCB is definitely one of the most rounded of the series.

Grim Tuesday: I would say that Touhou series more closely matches Ikaruga than the other shmups you listed, though Ikaruga might be more difficult overall. If you enjoy artistic, slow-moving bullet formations, where it's less often "you got hit by the bullet" and more often "you flew into the bullet", you'll like Touhou.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hmm... While I do prefer the "you got hit by the bullet" style, I might still give this series a try, I've heard lots of good things about it.

Is there one that is generally considered "the best", or do the different games have different styles?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Personally, Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism was my favorite game. There aren't any complex mechanics and is straight to the point about being SHMUP. All there is is the grazing mechanic which all of the games have (but slightly different).

But most people would say to start with either 7 (Perfect Cherry Blossom) or 8 (Imperishable Night) for simplicity and ease to get into.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Here to bump the thread. Don't let this place die. (Yeah, I got here a little late.)
Anyway, I think most people would say EoSD is their favorite, and would I. There's just something about it... I can't put my finger on it...

People should definitely start with IN or EoSD though. Also it should be noted that if you can learn to love Touhou music (not very difficult. Best game soundtracks I've ever seen), you will be set for life in terms of music. So... many... remixes... Really unbelievable. Long live IRON ATTACK!

§leepy God

Smash Master
My first Touhou game was IaMP since the creators of Eternal Fighter Zero made it. I like the gameplay more, my only grief is how the spell cards are used, but that's my only grief. xD

I really need to play Soku more since Tenshi is fun to use. I'll never get use to the Touhou shooters. ):

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I really need to play Soku more since Tenshi is fun to use. I'll never get use to the Touhou shooters. ):
How are you supposed to use Tenshi, anyway? It feels like she breaks easily under direct close-range pressure.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
She has a DP? Alt card?

I only know youmu has a legit DP, everything else comes out too slow.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never understood this game/concept. So it's a plane/shooter game right? I remember seeing this video about the series a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgK8eUdpAo

And I just need to know like...the elements in that video seem rather unrelated to a plane/shooter...so is there some deep story to this series? Why are they always fighting shooter?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So i got ten desires yesterday.. Its my first bullet hell touhou game.. And well i got it cause I thought i'll get more into touhou..

Since my main is Youmu in hisoutensoku, i thought i'd use Youmu first.. Kinda hard to use her since she doesn't fire stuff while focusing but her swird swipe is soo good xD.. Still got to work on getting used to Youmu's hitbox, grazing, and not running into bullets when trying to dodge other bullets..

Toya

Smash Apprentice
...didn't know this little thread was here.

Might inspire me to talk about Touhou... or somethin'.

You guys know about the Hisoutensoku chat/battle server that's being worked on?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Hisoutensoku has its own thread >_>

But there is already the soku lobby... Which is a battle server for those who can't port forward..

Top Bottom