• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the TKD thread

BlizzyWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlizzyWuff
Hm, seems I didnt miss a lot while I was gone :O
When I watch Foxes, they are either TKD, Yui or C.R.Z <3

I still think Marth has at least a +1 on us Foxes, just cause of the chaingrab (if ya get caught) and getting back onto the stage, other than that I stay away and laser unless I need to get in close for the kill, that's when you shield and mindgame :D

//JaZz\\

Smash Journeyman
I've gotta find tha social thread then but naw tha Fox Vs Marth MU iz even. You've gotta be smart to kno when to go in through hez defense. Marth'z chain grab nvr bothers me cuz ikno all of fox options to alwayz be safe while landing close around him. I really like thiz MU. Uve gotta kno all ur options when being edge guarded to get by him. Fox can do alot of dmg him

TKD

Smash Lord
Hi guys. I read the last two pages of this thread and I have to say I still think Marth beats Fox. I don't think I'd play that match-up in tournament. He edgeguards us the best out of the cast (even coming back from the ledge is tougher than usual), and has those powerful grab combos in the beginning. I recommend you just go with MK or Snake (these two and most good chars barely beat Marth IMO; marth barely sucks but he kinda does) or whatever your secondary is.

Next, Pikachu. If it weren't for Pika, Fox would easily be a top 3 character imo. I think we have the best vs MK match-up, and we're even vs Snake/Falco/Diddy/Oli/Wario/ZSS. We also **** overrated chars like Lucario and DDD, we're DK's worst match-up besides DDD who infinites him...it's just a lot of stuff. Ice Climbers counter us, that's for sure; but Pika's cg is just too much of a development error, with our standing blaster not reaching his crouch for additional stupidity. I would actually play this match-up though; as my campiness would probably well-deservedly annoy the hell out of the opponent.

Lastly, there's finally a Fox player that's pretty close to being good, and it's Yui. He's kinda terrible at fighting off momentum though (resetting to neutral or flipping it into offense), and I kinda remember his recovery not being stellar either. But he's close. He just needs to learn landing options and to freaking use the super important downb in defensive situations (this use of downb is SO GOOD, it's the reason I think Fox's downb is his best move).

The main reason I stopped by was to say that I remember you telling me that your can't hop out of reflector vs pikmin toss. You actually can do it vs purple pikmin. I dunno why, but it works only against purples. I'm not sure if it's practicable though. Just thought you might want to know just in case you don't.
I honestly didn't know that! That's great news, actually; thanks. I guess we **** Olimar harder than I thought :p

I guess I'll post actual gameplay stuff eventually here, though I don't play much anymore. I won the last tourney I went to though; but there were no great players there (toughest were hall/tearbear/ac).

Wusi

Smash Cadet
yay he's alive
will you still critique people's videos? i have a friendly set from april or something, and i'll probably get a hold of something new next weekend.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Lastly, there's finally a Fox player that's pretty close to being good, and it's Yui.

Yui had his prime between late 2009 and mid 2011 fyi. He has recently picked up MK and it hurt his placings and performances - his MK just isn't good and as he continues to neglect Fox it's becoming more and more washed up. He used to go even with the likes of Rain and Otori - now he's losing to mediocre Peach / MK players that he would've easily murdered two years ago and places between 25th and 13th at local tourneys.

:059:

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ He was never actually really good, like Ally and the like. Just two or three steps below them.

I wish I had time to play :/

TKD

Smash Lord
After watching the first minute, I can see the first thing you should work on.

PART 1.
See, Dedede doesn't have a chaingrab on you. He doesn't even gain much of a momentum at all if he hits you. So for the most part, Dedede's not dangerous at all! He's gonna land single hits, like bthrow and bair mostly. So YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT. Just rush him down! He may land single 14~16% hits on you, but you can land ACTUAL COMBOS for like, plus-60% if you do it right. It's fine if you dash in and skid-cancel grab (or shieldgrab if you don't have that down yet). It's fine if you dash in and shield. It's fine if you dash in and SH buffered fair him. The worst he can do is like 16%. The worst -you- can do? A ton! Maybe even a 0 to death. There's just no reason to be afraid of rushing in. Your damage output is so much larger than his.

As for you being at KO percents? Dedede can mostly only kill with bair and utilt (there are exceptions of rarer use of course). All you have to do is use options that won't get you hit by neither bair nor utilt. Dash block, or standing barely outside of his grab range awaiting a move are good examples. Landing in ways that you can only get hit by other things (or nothing which is preferrable of course) is fine, too. It doesn't matter if he keeps damaging you. He HAS to land specific moves in order to kill you, which is really tough for him if you play around them. You can risk getting grabbed as much as you want (which is why I like the dash block approach against him so much: it's almost risk-free since my reward can be 50+% or edgeguard and his can be like, bthrow). Dedede's throws will pretty much never kill you (and if one kills you at like 200%, you must be doing something right anyway).

Just rush Dedede down; he's harmless. And I think cornering yourself by staying near the ledge and giving your opponent howevermuch space he wants is a terrible idea, in any match-up. If you're gonna be blastering or whatever, just don't put yourself in the corner so much.

I'll watch more later. If I watch it all before commenting anything, I'll have so much to say at once I'll be to lazy to type it all.

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
use the super important downb in defensive situations (this use of downb is SO GOOD, it's the reason I think Fox's downb is his best move).
When do you use downB? I use it as a oos action (but rarely, i prefer utilt oss or shield grab). Sometimes you can even break MK's tornado with downB oos (but i think it's only then when the MK is not mashing the b button because of the priority that will increase when he mash B). And downB for gimping ^^
And TKD, could you pls help me with the Diddy kong MU? http://youtu.be/v8semxCJkP0 Diddy is my badest MU x) After that tourney, i practice a little bit with the bananas and even trained the nana lock with fox. Cyve got a great use of sideB, he got me alot with this. How do i approuch? How do i punish his sideB or his fair? Would be great if you answer :p

TKD

Smash Lord
Sure, Rizk; I'd love to get to it. I've just been busy lately.
Sod, downB and utilt don't exist directly OOS. You can jump OOS and downb, or unblock and utilt.

DownB is used after getting hit (if you use it out of knockback, it even elevates you a bit, many times out of the opponent's range depending on the amount of knockback) or before attempting to land. You can use it to scout for what happens below you before landing to decide what to do. Downb also resets your drifting, so if you were drifting away/into the opponent, you can drift the opposite direction after downb-ing. For example, you're gonna land and you're drifting towards the opponent, so they expect you to airdodge/nair/dair into them and they block or release a move in an attempt to counter. But you downb, drift away and land safely while the opponent's stuck in block or in the cooldown of whatever move they wanted to counter your nair/dair with.

DownB is useful in defensive situations to scout for the opponent's movement or intentions, to reset your drifting before landing so you get to choose where to drift (into the opponent or away from him) before landing, to choose between having access to nair or bair (because you can turn around during the downb), among other things. You can also air-jump after downb-ing if you opt for that as well if you feel/think landing is unsafe in a situation. You can air-dodge+drift after downb'ing to land, and it's RECOMMENDED if you read attempts to counter you with short/full hop or high-hitting moves.

Many times I've found myself threatening to bair by turning around with downb, and then drifting away and fast-falling to safety as the opponent's stuck in block or whatever move they wanted to use to counter the bair. Maybe they even do something dumb and there's time to punish with a dash attack or dash usmash.

Downb is also good for recovery. For example, an MK tries to chase you far offstage after sending you far with a powerful blow. You can simply downb to float until they run out of jumps and let you recover.

Both in defense and recovery, you have to watch your spacing though, so you don't do it when it's possible to get hit. If it is possible to get hit during defense (not so much recovery since I wouldn't want to risk getting hit in that situation) because you read that they'll just wait on the ground, make sure you have appropriate DI prepared in case they do jump up and hit you (or MK upb's or whatever).

It's basically Fox's best move because of its defensive applications. Yui never learned to use it which is the main reason he's not that good.

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
Thx for the answer TKD :D
Sod, downB and utilt don't exist directly OOS. You can jump OOS and downb, or unblock and utilt.
I have to correct myself ^^ I know it not really exist :p
I forgot about the downB stalling in the air x)
Many times I've found myself threatening to bair by turning around with downb, and then drifting away and fast-falling to safety as the opponent's stuck in block or whatever move they wanted to use to counter the bair. Maybe they even do something dumb and there's time to punish with a dash attack or dash usmash.
Im going to steal that :p I need some bait options or mix ups hehe
Would you mind to criticize that match http://youtu.be/v8semxCJkP0?
How do i punish DDK SideB, his dash attack and his fair?

TKD

Smash Lord
Thx for the answer TKD :D

I have to correct myself ^^ I know it not really exist :p
I forgot about the downB stalling in the air x)

Im going to steal that :p I need some bait options or mix ups hehe
Would you mind to criticize that match http://youtu.be/v8semxCJkP0?
How do i punish DDK SideB, his dash attack and his fair?

"Stealing" would make a lot of players much better. I know there really aren't any Fox vids to show top level play, but if only Snake players copied off of ally, more people would know the character is really good. I think so because if you only judge Snake off of Ally, you'd think he's one of the best characters. That's what happened with M2K and MK anyway.

I think you're gonna be really easy to coach. I think you're gonna be good. You blaster, you land with nair, you do things that actually make sense (a lot of Fox players do a lot of nonsense). I have to warn you that there is NO diddy kong in my area and I've never played a good one (I've played ones at least as good as your opponent though). But I know a lot of general stuff and at least have never lost to one (except when I mained MK in 2008 and other MKs were losing to him too). I've got a lot of tips for you but I'll have to work on that after getting back from work in like 8 hours.

In the meanwhile, think about all the times you dsmashed and if you could've utilted or grabbed, or jabbed, or maybe done nothing instead (I'm sure I saw a lot of out-of-place dsmashing). Also that you can air-dodge at the last moment you land to land onto a banana peel while catching it (which you didn't do the whole match and just avoided them!).

I haven't forgotten about your match rizk; sorry though. I'm just not feeling it right now.

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
"Stealing" would make a lot of players much better. I know there really aren't any Fox vids to show top level play, but if only Snake players copied off of ally, more people would know the character is really good. I think so because if you only judge Snake off of Ally, you'd think he's one of the best characters. That's what happened with M2K and MK anyway.
Indeed, if started playing competetiv Brawl since 2011 and if only watched matches and try to copie options. I learned Fox from your vids and some vids from Yui and mix it up with my own experience from playing Snake,Samus and Marth. I also think that Snake is a very good character. One of the best.
In the meanwhile, think about all the times you dsmashed and if you could've utilted or grabbed, or jabbed, or maybe done nothing instead (I'm sure I saw a lot of out-of-place dsmashing). Also that you can air-dodge at the last moment you land to land onto a banana peel while catching it (which you didn't do the whole match and just avoided them!).
I didnt notice that with the dsmash. Thx for that, since i missed the follow up dair to usmash so often, if started to do dair to dsmash. I will try to grab instead and wait for an guaranteed punish. The other dsmashes are technical fail, i was very excited playing the best of Germany and instead of dash attack i used dsmash x) After that tourney i practiced my item game.
Thx for the feedback TKD. Im looking forward to read more of your tips :D

TKD

Smash Lord
Sorry for not replying with the video critiques, guys; I'm going to compete a bit tomorrow so maybe I'll come back inspired!

Edit: Uhh I won. It's been a long day though. I'm tired.

TKD

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm alive, dude! I even played at a local this past sunday. I (fox) got 1st, havok (snake) 2nd, ac (mk) 3rd and mogx (kirby) 4th.

Take advantage of Wolf's slow jump (not airborne until frame 8 I think) and small grab range. You should also try to combo him hard while remembering to take his downb into consideration.
An interesting tip is that his upb hits have such a small hitstun that you can downb him to his death inbetween being hit by it.
I think dair can hit him out of his sideb (just don't mess with the end of it which is the spiking sweetspot). Both chars have strong edgeguarding abilities against each other (I don't know what it is with spacies and edgeguarding but they all kinda **** each other's recovery).

Basically though just combo him a lot and be good at CQC with your buffered tomahawks out of air-dodges, your safe-on-block nairs and whatnot.

BlizzyWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlizzyWuff
Dudette >:D
That's awesomeeee, return to uusssss :p
We had a tournament a few days ago and Cloud turned up (along with Kasper) Kasper entered and got first, Cloud came too late to enter and just hung around I guess lol
Played random friendlies and stuff

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm alive, dude! I even played at a local this past sunday. I (fox) got 1st, havok (snake) 2nd, ac (mk) 3rd and mogx (kirby) 4th.
I wanna see your set's! Glad to hear your playing again :D

TKD

Smash Lord
dude we never record sets in my area xD that's why there are almost none of my vids on u2b. i'm sorry that's the case though because watching my sets would help you guys out a lot...watching them would help me as well but w/e

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
dude we never record sets in my area xD that's why there are almost none of my vids on u2b. i'm sorry that's the case though because watching my sets would help you guys out a lot...watching them would help me as well but w/e
that's sad :( but it dont have to be uploud on u2b, just uplouding a zip file where all replays is in :D

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
Damn, need more TKD vids *_* just watched your set against MikeHaze in 14.10.2011, your godlike sir. Will you play SSB4 and play at tournaments TKD?

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ Thanks although I'm most likely a ton better right now. Yeah I'll play SSB4 but I hope it doesn't completely replace Brawl since I'm proud of finally being good at all smash games right now (except 64 which I don't find appealing).

I recommend this thread's sticky to be removed unless people want to use it as a messaging box for me or something or kind of a FAQ thread since I'm gonna start browsing this page more often (way easier to check and reply to than private messages) but there's already a Q&A thread. Plus I'm thinking about making actual threads instead of just piling disorganized (or is it unorganized?) information onto this.

I got back into smash not long ago and have become very good at both Melee and Brawl (obviously I can play PM as a consequence). I main Fox in both right now (secondaries are Sheik in Melee and MK in Brawl).

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
I'm happy to see you're back TKD! I thought you were gone for good :sadeyes:
I really hope this thread doesn't die, so I have some questions. I saw on another post of yours that you think Peach beats Fox. Could you explain why you feel that's the case? You also said we go even with ZSS, even though she has that nasty DownSmash combo, so I'm curious your thoughts on the matchup.

Btw, that NAKAT video analysis was fantastic! It summarized a lot of the tips and tricks you've written throughout this thread, and your blogs. I hope you stay motivated and make some more!

Wusi

Smash Cadet
you still got it ;D should use him more often imo
that is, if you feel like you could win against somebody if you went fox. ics obviously seems the better choice for you lol

and yeah, glad tkd is back. this kinda brings life back to the fox board and i was looking to improve as well. he's a walking book of information :p
about zss, people usually come to the conclusion that the match is in zss favor because of that lock, but it's not easy for zss to land it all if the fox is not stupid

TKD

Smash Lord
I'm happy to see you're back TKD! I thought you were gone for good :sadeyes:
I really hope this thread doesn't die, so I have some questions. I saw on another post of yours that you think Peach beats Fox. Could you explain why you feel that's the case? You also said we go even with ZSS, even though she has that nasty DownSmash combo, so I'm curious your thoughts on the matchup.

Btw, that NAKAT video analysis was fantastic! It summarized a lot of the tips and tricks you've written throughout this thread, and your blogs. I hope you stay motivated and make some more!
I don't have experience in these match-ups. It's mostly guesswork and what I can tell from a few sets against those characters.

Reflected turnips don't go upwards and we really need them too. Also Peach has like no lag in any of her moves it's ridiculous. Fox's hitboxes don't seem to match up well against Peach's disjoints and angles of approach. She's simply less vulnerable than any top tier character most of the time, disjoint- and lag-wise at least against small/non-existant disjoints like Fox's even if they come out extremely quickly.

ZSS does have that very low crawl and the dsmash thingy, but dsmash is very hard to land considering its start-up and the fact that we can shield almost freely thanks to her terrible grab.

==========================
TODAY'S INFO: TIPPER UAIR
==========================
Learn to tipper your full jump and airjump uairs. It reaches so much farther upwards than it looks because it has a pretty big disjoint (on the 2nd hit). You need to know both the spacing and the timing so you can catch people with tipper uairs as they fall. For example tipper uair beats all of Snake's aerials from below, won't hit the grenade if he pulls one out and you can land before him if he air-dodges and punish thanks to the autocancel on uair and Fox's falling speed. Uair actually counters most character's moves like this because of that disjoint. Once you're good enough at it you can even do it with short-hop buffered uairs. A big advantage of using uair at such high altitudes is that you force the opponent to commit to an ait-dodge early, and land before them (this is assuming they actually did air-dodge -and in time-).

The reason for learning this spacing is that both jumping high enough to trade with the opponent's aerials and not actually reaching them (specially if they have the confidence to not do anything, thinking you won't reach them) are very bad and can mess up your whole combo. This is one of those important things that make Fox able to often combo Snake from 0 to past the 100% mark. For the spacing of the uair take the possibility of the opponent's fast-fall into consideration (which they can't do out of knockback, remember).

I don't know if tipper uair outranges MK's dair or trades. I can't confirm because of having no one to practice with (at least no decent mk). The trade would be meh; but mastering tipper uair would be gg if it beats dair (it would mean frequently forcing mk to airjump/airdodge/nado).

Bair can work this way too because of the autocancel. With practice, I've used it to counter Snake's nair and air-dodge options simultanously (if he nairs bair counters it, if he air-dodges I fast-fall and land first and continue the juggle/string/edgeguard). Well-spaced bair just beats his nair for some reason.

P.S. I won 2 ssbb tourneys this weekend :)

Last edited:

Wusi

Smash Cadet
tried to tipper uair wario, placed it perfectly once and it beat out his dair for the kill lol. the disjoint was crazy
ima try to do it consistently now, thanks.

let me guess, they weren't recorded? :( good job though
also are you coming to the next smash factor? apparently ally and seagull will be going.

Last edited:

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
tried to tipper uair wario, placed it perfectly once and it beat out his dair for the kill lol. the disjoint was crazy
ima try to do it consistently now, thanks.
Didn't know fox uair beats wario's dair. I will try to use it more.

Top Bottom