• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tingle for SSB4 Thread - Assist Trophy Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Add me as well.

There's something so strangely enduring about this strange little weirdo that I think he'd make an awesome rep for Zelda/his own series.

I'd just love to see someone other than Mario get a rep that counts a spin-off rep.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Behind Dillon this guy is my most wanted. I'll *** buckets and simultaneously cry of joy the day that either of them make it.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Neat. Have you been able to find a render of Tingle's shiny new HD appearance? It would be cool to use that as the main OP image instead of his N64 design. I haven't had much luck finding a clear render (I have the Nintendo E3 image pack they distributed for journalists and there are only renders of Link, Tetra and Aryll) but for reference, this is what he looks like now.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Neat. Have you been able to find a render of Tingle's shiny new HD appearance? It would be cool to use that as the main OP image instead of his N64 design. I haven't had much luck finding a clear render (I have the Nintendo E3 image pack they distributed for journalists and there are only renders of Link, Tetra and Aryll) but for reference, this is what he looks like now.

He... looks... beautiful... :')

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Wow, I hadn't seen this. Thanks!

Updating the OP.

EDIT: Done

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I still think they'll be using his handheld design rather than ww

Also, I just realized something. For those that can dig up the journals of sakurai in the past, we find out that Takaya Imamura is the best friend of sakurai. Sakurai iirc/memory serves me right, mentioned that It
was Imamura encouraged sakurai to include Falcon in smash bros 64 since Sakurai had second thoughts.

Captain Falcon (as well as the rest of the F-Zero character cast) were/was/is created and designed by Takaya Imamura

And for the first time I found out, Takaya Imamura was the one who created and designed Tingle, not Miyamoto. But rather Miyamoto requested a quirky character to be made and have a strong presence in the Zelda series.

And for the record, Imamura was the lead director/producer for all the F-Zero games; as he was The co creator of the series along with Miyamoto.

Tingle has slowly been progressing from a background character to an AT...

This can only mean one thing, Captain Falcon x Tingle Teamup in single player mode XD

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
As much as Tingle creeps me out,I think he would be a great 5th Zelda rep. Unlike the temporarily Zelda characters (Midna,Zant,Ghirahim) he has appeared in various games and has a spin-off series. If Toon Zelda/Tetra dose not get in as a 5th Zelda rep it better be Tingle. I support this thread.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tingle in HD looks awesome... almost like he would fit right in Smash!

I really want Tingle in Smash over other potential Zelda newcomers. I feel he earned the privilege of being a playable character in Smash... he's one of the few recurring Zelda characters and the ONLY Zelda character to get his own spin-off series... and he would be a lot more interesting than the Balloon Fighter, considering he's armed with bombs, Rupees, and fairy magic (Stray Fairies from Majora's Mask, the Fairy Spell from Zelda II).

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I think i'll place Tingle as my most wanted. Dillon seems too unrealistic, and Tingle's chances seem to be growing in my eyes.
I think for left an right smashes, he should somersault. More clearly I mean do a roll forward like link does when you're moving and press a, except in place. You can kindof get an idea from his renderation up there, it gave me the whole idea. He looks like he's about to roll.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I might be wrong but I think Dillon might be a little bit more likely than we think... not many Nintendo franchises get Puzzle Swap panels... we got Puzzle Swap panels from the first-party Nintendo franchises that already have characters in Smash (Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Animal Crossing). The other first-party Nintendo franchises in Puzzle Swap that don't have characters in Smash yet are Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade Chronicles, Rolling Western, Brain Age, and Pilotwings (though Mii could cover this one).

Speculator

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call Dillon or Tingle particularly unrealistic, I think either could happen. I haven't looked much into Rolling Western so I'm not sure what to think of him, but if Sakurai thinks he's an appropriate character then I'd be quite happy to see him in.

I think Tingle's chances are down to whether or not we have a Link clone in SSB4. If not, he's almost certainly second in line for that slot. There's nobody else who even comes close to his significance. Tingle is the only Zelda character aside from Link to ever have been a main playable protagonist, and I think that's a hugely important factor when it comes to deciding SSB characters. If they forgo a Little Link this time, I can't think of anyone who could possibly take priority over Tingle.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think Tingle's chances are down to whether or not we have a Link clone in SSB4. If not, he's almost certainly second in line for that slot. There's nobody else who even comes close to his significance. Tingle is the only Zelda character aside from Link to ever have been a main playable protagonist, and I think that's a hugely important factor when it comes to deciding SSB characters. If they forgo a Little Link this time, I can't think of anyone who could possibly take priority over Tingle.
Or Tingle could be the Link clone :troll:
Don't take me seriously. I'm sorry!

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I would think 5 Zelda reps (or 6 if you count Shiek) is not too unreasonable for a big franchise. I think that the 5th spot could also be used for Toon Zelda/Tetra or Impa,but Tingle would not be bad.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I would think 5 Zelda reps (or 6 if you count Shiek) is not too unreasonable for a big franchise. I think that the 5th spot could also be used for Toon Zelda/Tetra or Impa,but Tingle would not be bad.
I think it would be unreasonable unless Mario and Pokemon also got five slots, to keep things in proportion. And at that point, the roster's balance would start to tip pretty heavily towards the big franchises. I think four is a good number.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I think it would be unreasonable unless Mario and Pokemon also got five slots, to keep things in proportion. And at that point, the roster's balance would start to tip pretty heavily towards the big franchises. I think four is a good number
True. I would not want Tinge to replace Toon Link,but if he is then Tingle is a obvious choice. On the fact of unbalancing the roster Mario had 5 reps (and could easily find one more) and Pokemon if you include alternate forms has more than 4. I think that Sakurai counts alternate forms as actual characters.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Well, I was talking in terms of slots on the roster. Mario having five in Melee wasn't such a big deal - it's Mario, after all. But Zelda having more than Mario would feel a little unbalanced, so at the very least Mario would also need to return to five slots. In general, I've always envisioned Tingle as the new fourth slot character to replace Toon Link. Not that I have anything against TL as a character, of course, but I would like to see the chain of Link clones broken and a more original character take the slot. Right now, I think a Link clone would take predecent, but if they don't want to include on this time then Tingle's got the next best shot.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As far as Tingle's chances go, I think he's the go-to character for the 5th Zelda character, though I think he has some competition from Toon Zelda/Tetra.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I just noticed something on the WWHD art....where's his mole?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Oh $hit golden, I can't believe nobody caught that. Awesome, he's a bit more presentable now lol
But no I think 5 is a perfect amount of Zelda reps, being that mario will likely have that many. Right behind whatever alternate link we get his spot seems perfect, but that could have been said pre brawl as well. And we all know how that turned out. (Toon Sheik)
Then again, his game's sequel, came out almost literally a year after brawl was released.

Speculator

Smash Ace
If Tingle does make it in, there ought to be some music from his games, no? I'll admit, I didn't think much of the music in Rosy Rupeeland was all that memorable, but there were definitely a few tracks that stood out. I could definitely see some sort of Tingle medley, at the very least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHE5gWHH6NU
I think this would have made a great My Music track for Brawl's Pirate Ship stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zxSDctqej4
Port Town is the only major settlement in the game, and I think it has a really weird macabre feel to it. Kind of unsettling. This might be a good pick for a stage, if there was to be a Tingle-focused one included.

Groose

Smash Champion
At the Symphony of the Goddesses concert last night, a Tingle cosplayer kinda stole the spotlight. So many people kept running up to him for pictures. And they say Tingle is unpopular.

Anywho, it's Tingle's day on Rate Their Chances. Feel free to go and inflate his want score.

Speculator

Smash Ace
At the Symphony of the Goddesses concert last night, a Tingle cosplayer kinda stole the spotlight. So many people kept running up to him for pictures. And they say Tingle is unpopular.
Oh man, that sounds hilarious. Got any pictures?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I'm JUST realising he would also fill the role of a joke character in a way. Kindof like Jigglypuff.
Tingle V.S. Jigglypuff. No Items. 5 stock. Final Destination.

Groose

Smash Champion
Oh man, that sounds hilarious. Got any pictures?

Yeah. Maybe when I get around to it, I'll post them here.

I have to sadly inform you all that Tingle... flopped in Rate Their Chances. I really mean... flopped. Mii's beat him out in want ratio. Krystal DOUBLED him in want ratio.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have to sadly inform you all that Tingle... flopped in Rate Their Chances. I really mean... flopped. Mii's beat him out in want ratio. Krystal DOUBLED him in want ratio.
I know right?

There were too many zeros. :( Though, I think we were lucky that you removed GameFAQs from Rate Their Chances....

I still think Wind Waker HD and the Majora's Mask remake, if it becomes a reality, will help him.

By the way, Tingle got a bit of spotlight in the last direct due to the Tingle Bottle which can be used to send messages via MiiVerse. Do you think it helps him in any way? :p

Groose

Smash Champion
I know right?

There were too many zeros. :( Though, I think we were lucky that you removed GameFAQs from Rate Their Chances....

I still think Wind Waker HD and the Majora's Mask remake, if it becomes a reality, will help him.

By the way, Tingle got a bit of spotlight in the last direct due to the Tingle Bottle which can be used to send messages via MiiVerse. Do you think it helps him in any way? :p

I don't think so. But Wind Waker HD as a whole does.

Additionally, Majora's Mask 3D went from possible to probable in my eyes just the other week. The Club Nintendo prize for having platinum status this year is the offical, re-released soundtrack... everytime Project Moonfall calms down, Nintendo feeds the fire.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Well not only that but when asked, I forget the big name dude who said it, but somebody said they were trying to decide what to do. An ALTTP sequel or a MM remake. And we know what won, obviously. But the guy also asked if te MM fans were out of luck, and he laughed and said something like "I woudn't say THAT" or somewhat and other. But I think it was more of a what should we do first, than a what should we do. As the interviewer put it.

Groose

Smash Champion
Well not only that but when asked, I forget the big name dude who said it, but somebody said they were trying to decide what to do. An ALTTP sequel or a MM remake. And we know what won, obviously. But the guy also asked if te MM fans were out of luck, and he laughed and said something like "I woudn't say THAT" or somewhat and other. But I think it was more of a what should we do first, than a what should we do. As the interviewer put it.

A Majora's Mask remake would be good for Tingle.

Actually, the only thing it would be bad for is my wallet.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
The evil power of Majora's Mask has removed 40 dollars from my wallet!
Oh wait. I did that. Then flew to Japan and threw it at Miyamoto.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I wonder how Wii Fit Trainer would have fared in Rate Their Chances? :smirk:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am still waiting for my Majora's Mask 3D... I am not buying Ocarina of Time 3D unless Majora's Mask 3D is announced... my god... the Zelda 64 games are some of the best Zelda games I've ever played.

Groose

Smash Champion
I am still waiting for my Majora's Mask 3D... I am not buying Ocarina of Time 3D unless Majora's Mask 3D is announced... my god... the Zelda 64 games are some of the best Zelda games I've ever played.

For the record, I love all of the 3D Zelda games. So, while my favorite will probably change the next time I play through them all, my current favorite is once again Wind Waker.

I wonder how Wii Fit Trainer would have fared in Rate Their Chances? :smirk:

We did review her during the first day, the day after she was revealed. Her support was still tepid, but a lot of people liked how Sakurai had made her. I feel Tingle's want ratio would have been boosted if he were already confirmed.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
What the hell, why did this thread became inactive D:
Now with ToonLink onboard, what do you guys think happened with Tingles Chances?

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't think it's good. I always thought of Tingle as the second option for the fourth Zelda slot, after a second Link. Evidently they've decided to go for a second Link again, so now I'm not sure what his chances are like.

I suppose they could have him represent his own series, and Zelda could become the second series after Mario to have a spinoff universe. But I think that's probably an overly optimistic outlook.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Link
Toon Link
Zelda / Sheik
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Ganondorf
Toon Ganondorf

Ugh... it would be weird if the whole Zelda roster consisted of nothing but the Triforce trio and their Toon counterparts. It would be like adding the Mario veterans and their Paper incarnations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom