• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The thread for all things waddle!

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I was looking around and noticed that there isn't a thread for this already. (Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.)

So, i decided that we should have a thread to discuss techniques, theories, or anything else that has to do with waddle dees, doos, or gordos.When it comes down to it, waddles can be a BIG part of our game if we use them right, and why let something like that not be fully taken advantage of? right?! :lick:

so i'll start searching, and we'll compile all of the knowledge on the first post with cooperation from all of my fellow DDD players of course!

Has anybody else noticed a trend in gordos and jumping waddles? Whenever i swallow a jumper i throw a gordo within the next 2-3 throws. It's worked nearly everytime, if it doesn't directly trigger it, i think it could at least sway the odds in your favor, has anyone else experienced this? Go try and lemme know!

Smasher input:

Whut? says:
"theyre great makeshift aerial attacks, use them against airborne opponents
(after getting airborne yourself) you can use them to predict what an opponent will do at an edge too. Use them to gimp,
use them returning to the stage(make sure to jump+sideB).
use them at closer range for shock value, use them to block projectiles, or inhale them in hopes of gaining their strength ETC.
When im not close enough to hit my opponent, 3/4ths of the time im throwing a waddle, even if it doesnt hit.
your opponent will try airdodging them and their momentum can leave them vulnerable.

thats just waddle dees, Doos are great for setting up Fsmashes and dash attacks.
if you have SOME sense of timing you can easily chaingrab into them.
you can even control them, if you have one close to you, Ftilt it
(it will face you and land across the stage)
it will then walk towards you, this is perfect to chaingrab into."

List of Waddle dee/doo facts

1.Smashing >b like a smash move rather than a tilt results in the waddles going farther, if only slightly.

2. While pulling them out if you hold up on the control stick they have a higher arc but it doesn't seem to effect distance, just height; good to use on people approaching with aerials.

3. Some waddle dees jump after a while on the stage, they do minimal damage, with equally miniscule knockback. It will knock you vertical with no DI.

List of Gordo facts

1. Gordos go higher than the other two so you can sometimes miss with them where as the other ones would have hit.

2. If a gordo bounces off of a shield and floats straight upward you still have time to throw your enemy into it because it remains in screen for 3-5 seconds.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
sweet, i will try that. I think this needs to be stickied, and as more study is done, i hope we will discover many new things about the uncharted world of waddles/gordos--sorry, a little corny, but true.

Bozzar

Smash Rookie
Smashing >b like a smash move rather than a tilt results in the waddles going farther, if only slightly.
Also while pulling them out if you hold up on the control stick they have a higher arc but it doesn't seem to effect distance, just height; good to use on people approaching with aerials.

And gordos go higher than the other 2 so you can sometimes miss with them where as the other ones would have hit.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
As everyone knows Waddle Doos shoot their famed beam ability after a while on the stage, but Waddle Dees also use thier signature jump if left on the stage for a while. I have yet to test it thoroughly, but I have found that it is random and not very strong. The only time I was hit by it was as Kirby and it failed to KO me at ~140%. The knockback is also vertical with no DI.

Psychotic Penguin

Smash Cadet
I have a question? I had a waddle dee hit a wario, and he had about 70%, and it almost KO'd him, so do you think how far it sends him is random?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
It probably isn't, but I have no way of confirming it right now.

But for me, Waddles almost single handed neagate some of D3's worst weaknesses. How many times have you been attacked and would have been killed, until a random WD on the floor jumps and attacks the opponent? what about Waddle Doo lasers stopping a combo, or eating a death beam? Just being around one seems to increase the chance of the Dees doing something, and it shows the opponent that you may be trying to start some tag team thing and that they better move. can anyone say, "mindgames?"

I think we should discuss fighting with the waddle Dees and Doos as a tag team scenario a bit, and how proper spacing lets less usable moves, like Jet Hammer become more viable.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
try Dthrow > waddle > full jumped jet hammer!

you'll hit him at just above ground level, and it works pretty well if they dont di away lol

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
try Dthrow > waddle > full jumped jet hammer!

you'll hit him at just above ground level, and it works pretty well if they dont di away lol
yeah, i noticed that too. I luv using JH with a Dee. Sometimes they'd dodge, and I would hold it a second longer to hit them anyway, its 50/50 scenario imo

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173613
thats an old thread, but dont feel bad cus i had to go back 2 pages to find it lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ledgehop waddle dee toss(you have to read this if you play competitively)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169423

here is what i wrote on the old waddle thread:
"theyre great makeshift aerial attacks, use them against airborne opponents
(after getting airborne yourself) you can use them to predict what an opponent will do at an edge too. Use them to gimp,
use them returning to the stage(make sure to jump+sideB).
use them at closer range for shock value, use them to block projectiles, or inhale them in hopes of gaining their strength ETC.
When im not close enough to hit my opponent, 3/4ths of the time im throwing a waddle, even if it doesnt hit.
your opponent will try airdodging them and their momentum can leave them vulnerable.

thats just waddle dees, Doos are great for setting up Fsmashes and dash attacks.
if you have SOME sense of timing you can easily chaingrab into them.
you can even control them, if you have one close to you, Ftilt it
(it will face you and land across the stage)
it will then walk towards you, this is perfect to chaingrab into."

it's cool, i'm gonna keep this thread because it seems to be a bit more organized than those.

thnx for the input! i'll qoute you on the first post ^_^

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes, if you throw a waddle dee at your opponent and they're right next to you, you can just press a a lot to keep picking it up and throwing it at them. You can make a combo out of this if you catch your opponent off guard for a few throws. Its kinda risky though because you can't really do many other attacks with the waddle there in front of you.

Coney

Smash Master
I use them primarily for pressure. When someone is recovering, throw a Waddle where they might land. Jump and throw, they'll do one of three things: take the hit, which can easily combo into another Waddle or, if you're close enough, an aerial. They might airdodge, leaving them in a precarious situation, maybe waiting for a grab/dsmash/w/e...or they could jump over it, the safest option but leaving them open for the dreaded utilt or aerial ****.

The point is, there are some characters that are just more easily left to the Waddles than to an outright fair or bair ****. You can consistently pressure your opponent into dodging a small 6% Waddle for a devastating kill move if you're creative.

I am CONSTANTLY throwing Waddles. There's really no reason not to, unless I have 2 Doos on the field.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
throwing a person into a lingering gordo, that's something I have to see.
i'll get vids up soon ^_^

I use them primarily for pressure. When someone is recovering, throw a Waddle where they might land. Jump and throw, they'll do one of three things: take the hit, which can easily combo into another Waddle or, if you're close enough, an aerial. They might airdodge, leaving them in a precarious situation, maybe waiting for a grab/dsmash/w/e...or they could jump over it, the safest option but leaving them open for the dreaded utilt or aerial ****.

The point is, there are some characters that are just more easily left to the Waddles than to an outright fair or bair ****. You can consistently pressure your opponent into dodging a small 6% Waddle for a devastating kill move if you're creative.

I am CONSTANTLY throwing Waddles. There's really no reason not to, unless I have 2 Doos on the field.
I wouldn't say constant throwing is too smart, it's easy to read and punish.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
d throw into waddle into jet hammer works quite well

u throwing your opponent into shielded gordos also works

wario can eat waddles

waddles can be used as a very effective shield for most projectiles in the game...

if timed correctly waddles stop both of sonics spin dash attacks

waddles can knock wario off his bike

i try to use the lighting to its full advantage...CG into then fmash

i am going to test your swallowing jumping waddle = gordo theory...i too havh had this happen to me

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
It seems that whenever I throw a gordo, another comes within about 10 throws, then it'll be random again.

Hype

Smash Lord
While fighting Fox/Falco...If I knock them off the map and im too far away to Bair their recovery (phantasm) I throw a waddle because its a constant Hurtbox and will stuff them everytime it hits and occasionally the gordo comes out.

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Heres some VERY important information conserning Waddle dees. Well by important i mean... "informative" :laugh:

Name:Waddle Dee
Race:puff Ball
Color:Varies
Eyes:Black
Height:0'8"
Weight:N/A

"Waddle Dees are cute little red puffballs that like to travel in large armies. They are extremely loyal to anyone who owns them, although they often goof up on some errands; that's why they serve King Dedede.

Waddle Dees also have huge roles; they were once kicked out of the castle, fired, and replaced with a domestic servant robot sent by Nightmare Enterprises, but returned when Dedede was in trouble, and all got hired back after Kirby defeated the robot"

Taken from a quick google search, Never knew there was such a large Waddle community?

-__-

Smash Ace
2. If a gordo bounces off of a shield and floats straight upward you still have time to throw your enemy into it because it remains in screen for 3-5 seconds.
it actually stays until it reaches death point

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Its always good to have them on the field, they can hurt the opponent and not you, so why not?

They also stop space animals' laser spam.

Orb13

Smash Cadet
Can someone do an experiment with decay and waddles?
Specifically do the doos/dees jump/laser decay?
Does gordo decay? Seems like a simple question but I know that Samus' zair doesn't.
I know that hitting a dee/doo results in decay of your moves.
I would do it but I don't own a Wii...

Buuman

Smash Ace
Fogo, I did some testing...gordos come out from 1-3 waddles after a jumping dee, which is ****ing sick. WOOOOOOT New dedede data!!!!

Actually I'm not 100% sure, don't quote me on that, I'l work on it a bit more when I get a chance

Agi

Smash Lord
1.King K. Rool by BKupa666
2.QWOP by Kholdstare
3.Vol Opt by ForwardArrow
4.Uboa by Sir_Slash
5.Rapunzel by kitsuneko345
6.Boom Boom by n88_2004
7.Marvin the Martian by Davidreamcatcha
8.Venustoise by BlackFox
9.Swalot by Smash Daddy
10.Linebeck by Junahu
11.Mask DeMasque by Junahu
12.Ashley by Chaos Swordsman
13.Party Pete by Clownbot
14.Gangreen Gang by MasterWarlord
15.Dark Star by n88_2004
16.Rumble by kris121
17.Kobold Clan by Zook
18.Kyubey by ForwardArrow
19.Majora’s Sceptile by majora_787
20.King Ramses by Kholdstare
21.Freaky Fred by Davidreamcatcha
22.Le’Quack by MasterWarlord
23.Grunty by Junahu
24.Farfetch’d by LegendofLink
25.Rulue by Koric
26.Moon Child by Sir_Slash
27.Batman by BladeKnight420
28.Knight Man by Kholdstare
29.Escavalier by Kholdstare
30.Phantom by Kholdstare
31.Kimiko by flyinfilipino
32.Len Kagamine by Sir Slash
33.Kanden by n88_2004
34.Fefnir by Nicholas1024
35.Harpuia by Nicholas1024
36.Phantom by Nicholas1024
37.Leviathan by Nicholas1024 and majora_787
38.Maxwell by n88_2004
39.Deviljho by majora_787
40.Shelmet by Clownbot
41.Bass.EXE by phatcat203
42.Octavia by ProfPeanut
43.Malcolm by Koric
44.Zombie by Kholdstare
45.The Penguin by BladeKnight420
46.Jinouga by majora_787
47.Box Man by Akiak
48.Sweeney Todd by half_silver28
49.Grovyle by phatcat203
50.Pachirisu by Getocoolaid
51.Firebrand by Hyper_Ridley
52.Fright Knight by darth meanie
53.Copycat by Junahu
54.Hammerhead by MasterWarlord
55.Dr. Facilier by smashbot226
56.Giant Bat by Junahu
57.Medusa by Junahu
58.Mummy Men by Junahu
59.The Creature by Junahu
60.Death by Smash Daddy
61.Mouse Man by KingK.Rool
62.88 Teeth by n88_2004
63.J. Jonah Jameson by MasterWarlord
64.*****cat **** by Davidreamcatcha
65.Double Header by BKupa666
66.Wolf Man by KingK.Rool
67.Flat Top by KingK.Rool
68.Jack Skellington by ProfPeanut
69.Count Chocula by Davidreamcatcha
70.Fruit Brute by Clownbot
71.Fruit Yummy Mummy by ForwardArrow
72.Jukebox Jaw by Kholdstare
73.DOR-15 by kitsuneko345
74.Gatsaf by ForwardArrow
75.Lucio Fulci by KingK.Rool
76.Piggybank by Junahu
77.New Destroyman by majora_787
78.Chaos 0 by LegendofLink
79.Garrick by majora_787
80.Fire Snake by Zook
81.Princess Kraehe by Davidreamcatcha
82.Sayaka Miki by SirKibble
83.Kyoko Sakura by ForwardArrow
84.Iggy Koopa by MasterWarlord
85.Bowser by BKupa666
86.Reznor by MarthTrinity
87.Mello by majora_787
88.Pokemon Trainer Mark by flyinfilipino
89.Marian by Koric
90.Ayano Minegishi by Katapultar
91.Teru Mikami by Kholdstare
92.Beezwax by MasterWarlord
93.CloudMan.EXE by Nicholas1024
94.Jeff Madrox by n88_2004
95.Battleheart by smashbot226
96.Pichu by LegendofLink
97.Dr. House by Davidreamcatcha
98.Gaston by BKupa666
99.Medicham by phatcat203
100.Sonic The Remix by JOE!
101.Skarner by Hyper_Ridley
102.Dedede Remix by MasterWarlord
103.Cutie Mark Crusaders by SirKibble
104.Elspeth by LegendofLink
105.Yukon Cornelius by Davidreamcatcha
106.Lord Ghirahim by Holder of the Heel
107.Invidia by SirKibble
108.Okami Amaterasu by Holder of the Heel
109.Elesh Norn by ForwardArrow
110.Jin-Gitaxias by ForwardArrow
111.Sheoldred by ForwardArrow
112.Urabrask the Hidden by ForwardArrow
113.Vorinclex by ForwardArrow
114.Crawdaunt by MasterWarlord
115.Slaking by ForwardArrow
116.Glaceon by n88_2004
117.Buizel by darth meanie
118.Mr. Minecraft by ottobot
119.Dragonite by Junahu
120.Captain Olimar Remix by Davidreamcatcha
121.Po by ProfPeanut
122.Cubone by LegendofLink
123.Pyoro by Junahu
124.The Grinch by Davidreamcatcha
125.Burgermeister Meisterburger by BKupa666
126.Margaret Moonlight by Getocoolaid
127.Darth Vader by n88_2004
128.Whispy Woods by SirKibble
129.Mr. Dooter by SirKibble
130.Goriath by MasterWarlord
131.Grand Doomer by Smash Daddy
132.Metal General by majora_787
133.Landia by Kholdstare
134.Magolor by SirKibble
135.Galacta Knight by majora_787
136.The Appetizer by Getocoolaid
137.Chun by Katapultar
138.Yukari Takara by Katapultar
139.Aisling by ProfPeanut
140.Raspberyl by crash826
141.Kenji and Hisao by darth meanie
142.Minnie the Minx by Junahu
143.Draco Centauros by Koric
144.Zecora by smashbot226
145.Yuffie by half_silver28
146.Kloak by BKupa666
147.Cyrus by Smash Daddy
148.Tul-Bak-Ra by n88_2004

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i think the doos/don'ts and gordo's are on a timer, after playing a few dittos and seeing alot of waddle spam lol when both ddd's would throw at the same time the waddles were always the same, alot of double gordo's too. makes me think they're on a timer, anyone else notice this?

CO18

Smash Hero
theres no timer lol, dojo already gave the percentages of the chances each one will come out, ive thrown 3 gordos in a row before.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
wow, i didn't know it was possible to throw more than 1 in a row, do you have any occurances like that on tape? i'm thinking of making a comprehensive waddle guide for youtube

Buuman

Smash Ace
I was ABOUT to make a newthread on this, but decided that it was maybe it was too minor.

Another use for Waddle Dees/Doos.

I call it... SMASH EXTENDING

If any character does a smash on a dee/doo, the time that that smash it activated will increase. This can work for and against you.

Example, I was playing against Pikachu, and he used his dsmash... on the dee. You see where I'm going? Because the Waddle Dee extended the time it took to use the smash, I was able to land a FULLY CHARGED FSMASH on him.

Another use for this... you can extend your own smash attacks, so that they remain active longer. Even the milliseconds that you get will be enough to throw off a hardcore Brawler, used to timing an attack as soon as the smash ends.

----------------------------------

Remember, this tech can be used against you... Especially Lucas. His dsmash is extended to twice the time it would normally take.

Yep this is old news. This also goes for other objects such as L mansions pillars, brinstars slime,and YS shy guys. But yeah, the hitbox from anymore will stay out longer if you hit an object with it. In this case its a waddle dee/doo.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I don't know if it's some kind of DI but sometimes I've seen that when I hit with Waddle Dees sometimes the opponent instead of getting knocked "away" they get and effect of being pulled back towards Dedede...

When this happens I usually go for F-Air... But the thing is that it's pretty much random (Di or maybe Waddle Dees...?)

I would like to test this but I don't own a Wii XP

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
I love Waddle-Dees (Wallabies as my friends and I call them). I always love getting a nice surprise with a Gordo, which seems to be a KO at anything higher than 100%. At least that's what I've noticed.

Top Bottom