• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Temple of Time: Zelda Tournament Results Thread

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Good luck Mocha! I have a tournament as well but sleep and work johns as always :(

Gonna go pure Zelda expecting to place last again! :3

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Woo didn't get last! Although pools were a little silly... like the person expected to place in the money got 3rd in pools and somebody who placed the same as me got 1st? Seriously I played terrible in pools I am really embarrassed in the way I played.

My placing was appropriate but some people placed too high and some too low so... >_>

Anyway... I placed 9/13 in Singles going pure Zelda. First set I won against Diddy, and lost twice to Donkey Kong eughhh. Second set I won against Snake 2-0, and last set I lost 0-2 to a campy/planky ROB :(

Got 2/5 in LT doubles.

Link is: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318251

Diddy is not as bad MU for me as I thought. I have beaten every single Diddy in my region yesterday although it's only two people :). Of course only one was in tourney and the other was a pride match and my region are all scrubs :(

But yeah this tournament was kinda sad. Played Sheik and Peach in friendlies and everybody said wow your Peach is legit quit Zelda and got some compliments for my Sheik. Zelda remained without any respect, haha. Sigh... I actually did more work with Peach than I normally do so... :(

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Good job, there's a tournament near me next weekend or something but MK is legal and the stages include Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Port Town Aerodive(or w/e that stupid place is called).

The TO is such a troll :/

Fuujin

Smash Champion
What was the date and location for your tournament?

Edit: It would be much easier for me if everyone just put their results in the layout like Mocha does, then I don't have to go digging for info :I

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Second tournament of this year. Seems like I've been having one at least every month lol

Battle Network 6
Houston, TX (02/12/12)
9th out of 21
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318292

---

I did okay in for the most part, but had trouble with Marth (again) and ZSS. There were a ton of ZSS in this tourney, as well as for doubles. My poor partner hates the MU for him now, can't say that I blame him. Hopefully some videos will be up soon. Got 9th place again xD

By the way Courier, I enjoyed watching that match vs Diddy. I also noticed you've been applying more aerial canceling than you used to. Loved the lightning kicks too, good stuff. I'll watch the DK stuff later, good job

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
DK makes me want to quit Zelda. Not only did I lose terribly game 2 but I just didn't bother next game.

:phone:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Courier I feel like you got a bit discouraged after the dumb deaths on Delfino. I hate some of the sides on the stage transitions because characters can really abuse the sides. You died at like 64 percent from DK's back air ):

You went for a lot of fairs too. Not sure if you were doing it like I do (I use it sometimes for spacing or aerial canceling) or if you were hoping to get a kick. Also, you love your down airs xD Granted I don't use the move as much as I should, I think there were times you would have been better off killing him with a simple smash/up tilt. Especially if he's already at high percents and you're at low percents, putting yourself at risk by going for the down air got you killed toward the end.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Before I respond, grats on your placement Mocha! Really impressive work and hope there are some videos of you doing some damage in bracket :) Marth is a huge pain I honestly don't know how Zelda can possibly do anything besides getting good reads and punishing with her aerials. Fsmash doesn't work, up smash doesn't work, and his fair just outright gives Zelda a super hard time. ZSS is a gimmicky character I think. After playing her a bit, or using her yourself, she loses that novelty about her and starts to become easier to deal with.

Thanks for that. I dunno what exactly caused me to be so dair happy but yeah it's definitely not a good thing. Been kinda down in the dumps about that DK match and being told I'm lacking in basic tactics (which is true).

I guess the next thing to work on is just thinking ahead :)

On a sadder note... I'm now being told by just about everybody to drop Zelda for Peach ever since I decided to bring her out for tournament friendlies (I did surprisingly better with her than usual). Really don't want to but if I keep playing like I have been lately I can definitely see a main switch >_>

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14063059&postcount=21
Can you guess which one is me? :p

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Thanks! Placing has been slightly better than when I first started, but still need to work at it. I want to start getting top 5 sometime, though I know it'll be difficult with this character/region. As for Marth, the important thing is to not get cornered near the ledge and not constantly air dodge into his aerials. I actually feel like it's a bit like fighting Peach in some ways. They both even have suckish air dodges, which I tried to take advantage of. My problem is trying to reset my positioning/stage control when I'm being pressured.

DK is weird to fight. I feel like he outranges us, and that our f-smash isn't all that reliable against him. He can kill us so early too, the darn things hits so hard x.x

Don't drop Zelda lol. Use more Peach if you want, just don't forget about your low tier. Sometimes using another character for awhile can help your perspective on Zelda. That's what happened to me when I used Snake for awhile.

I have no idea which one of those people is you, haha. Which one is it?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
DK is similar to Marth. DK outspaces Zelda for sure, and the only difference is that reads/punishes are easier/more severe on DK. Think the thing with me is I need some matchup experience before I can do somewhat well. My Diddy games when I first started mid-last year and today are vastly different.

I realize how inconsistent I am and how susceptible I am to nerves. Really think Zelda can do better in this region, especially when the second Zelda main moves into the mainland (Vancouver) to deal some damage in the summer. We're complete opposites I think... he's very patient and defensive while I think I'm a bit more aggressive and careless :p Shame people are learning the Zelda matchup.

Peach actually did wonders for me to learn how to play with items and dealing with the Diddy matchup.

I'm the guy in the tie :x Y'know being a Zelda main and all gotta look half presentable!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I wonder if it's possible to do something OoS when shielding DK's back air. You would think that you could do upsmash OoS or your own back air, but I feel like if a DK spaces just right - it might be trickier to punish. Kinda like fighting with D3 and Kirby's back airs.

I think you mentioned this other Zelda before, because I thought you said something about how he plays a lot like me in some ways. For me, I try to play defensive in general however I realize that in some matchups it's not as viable, so I've been working on my aggressive style a bit more as well. Hopefully I'll be able to mix in the two styles so that I know when to play defensive, and when to play aggressive.

@ picture: Cool, I don't think I would have guessed it right. Nice tie o:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Sore Thumbs: Brawlentine's Day
2/4/12 Tampa, FL
5th out of 14 Singles (All Zelda except two matches vs. Chozox)
2nd out of 4 Doubles (Teamed with Trump :ness:)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318139

Come to Papa (MK Banned)
2/11/12 Orlando, FL
4th out of 28 Singles (60/40 in favor of Zelda usage)
1st out of 12 Mid-tier Doubles (Teamed with Trump :fox:)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318285

One more result on the way as well, just waiting for results thread. Took 7th out of 30+ in singles but not too hot in teams. Vids to come if the people upload them.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Smashachusetts 3.
2/25/12 Easthampton MA (Western MA)
17th out of 70 singles.
Lost to Ally, and Izumi.
9th out of 26 teams.

Could have done better in both if things had went my way. Mike will blame himself since he had some personal issues going on but I should have been able to pick it up for both of us. But overall not a bad tournament. All my matches with both Izumi and Ally were really close so that felt good. I've never been so close to beating Ally before and he said he was scared so that made that set a success for me. Knowing I can still beat top players if I just keep my head straight was something I was starting to doubt.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Hey riot, tell me you got some vids with ally recorded! I recently got my set with HRnut recorded (and they hopefully be uploaded) where I took him to the brink and I wanna compare our tactics. Well done on this result though man!

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
DK makes me want to quit Zelda. Not only did I lose terribly game 2 but I just didn't bother next game.

Courier...I think you psych yourself out with dk. Watching the second vid then I'll post some feedback, if you'll accept it from a me.

I have A ton of mu experience with dk, and I feel that I know the mu very well. Our nair is our best weapon against dk, yet on the first round you only did it once, and I'm pretty sure it was an accident lol. We can use the nair cancel to approach and combo dk because he is so big, nair to utilt works great against dk.

I don't know if it's true but it seems that our dtilt trips dk very often...use it sparingly because his dtilt beats ours after a few clanks if he knows whats coming.

It's not very safe to chase dk off stage, but why no dins to help build damage? You also had quite a few opportunities to use dins to force an air dodge then punish while he was recovering.

I know it sounds funny but building damage should be your main priority...use dins to force air dodge and punish then reset until he is in ko range.

Just a few tips that might help.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I DID save the matches (at least one) with Ally. But I have no idea who's wii it is. There were at least 20 setups so I'll try my best to find them.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Conspiracy, thanks a lot for your input I really appreciate it and will keep everything you said in mind but... I think I've given up on Donkey Kong. I'll be using Peach against him from now on.

Also, nice work Riot! Can't wait to see your vids :)

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
Too bad about dk...but I understand. It sounds like me vs a good marth...except I have no real backup char. I basically just give up against him.

Fuujin

Smash Champion

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Nice stuff :)

Pass me your replay file... I'm kinda busy this week but I'll definitely get your replays uploaded by the end of the week at the latest.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Upload it/them please :)

Do you want me to upload the videos or would you like the video file so you can upload it yourself?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Well I mean I wouldn't really have a problem uploading them, theyre just in the .bin format and I don't really have a way to record them as a video file.

It doesn't matter to me though, you can upload them if you want or send them back.

What site is recommended for uploading?
Rapidshare/Mega upload?

Edit: oop megaupload doesn't exist anymore.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I prefer Mediafire.

I ask because some people prefer to have their vids in their own YouTube channel. But I'll just upload the vid on my channel so that the file only needs to be uploaded once.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Yeah Fae is AMAZING

Like I don't usually meatride players but I do for his Lucas.
Last time we played in tournament he destroyed me too, I think he was just having an off day or something.
I still think that MU is -2.

Cour says he will try to upload them tonight though.

Top Bottom