• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sword of Seals - Roy Moveset + Frame Data (incomplete)

Shog

Smash Ace
How do I use Roy's Side B correctly? I never figured this out since Melee :101:

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
How is this done? Gimme the goods.
It works well on Yoshi too. Seems ok on Marth Lucina and Ike as well. Also projectile neutral Bs work too. I found it easier to make tilts to c-stick and special to L
http://imgur.com/XarmpEB

Dash then holding the direction you're dashing :GCR: and at the same time hit :GCLT: + :GCCL: Or this :GCL: then :GCLT: + :GCCR: when dashing the other direction
The timing is strict.

Edit: There's a youtube video by My Smash Corner that dose it in the air but it easier to do the grounded one with the control scheme I have form me

Last edited:

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
Is there any way to run around the stage and dtilt like Marth does in melee? Roy doesn't seem to be able to crouch after initial dash, and it takes quite a while out of run. Am I missing something here or am I asking for too much? Lol

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
How do I use Roy's Side B correctly? I never figured this out since Melee :101:
Time the B hits. Hit up or down to change angle. Down usually does more damage, up is usually easier to combo, side kills earlier.

No, its super armour. He still takes damage, he just doesnt flinch.

Also you were right about USmash FAF. I miscounted. It's actually F58 rather than F68, ahahah...

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
No, its super armour. He still takes damage, he just doesnt flinch.

Also you were right about USmash FAF. I miscounted. It's actually F58 rather than F68, ahahah...
Wow that's really interesting. He had invincibility in Melee, I figured he'd just keep it.

But yeah it's good to see Usmash isn't too laggy. I'm actually jealous of his Usmash cool-down animation. Marth's look twitchy in this game, like he's stalling for a few frames to get punished.

Overall, Roy has the better frame data than Marth this time around (Roy's frame data in Melee was garbage while Marth's was OP). Sakurai designed him to trade a huge amount of range for damage and speed. The story behind that is the reverse grip and the way he folds his arm. It's meant to seem powerful and lagless but not held in a way that maximizes range. Overall a great character design. This wasn't a Dr. Mario or Lucina, Sakurai actually tried on this one.

Last edited:

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
I'm seriously loving Roy but what would you all say is his strongest moves to solidify a kill? He seems to have an issue also getting in.

What moves do you all use?

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
So roy's down smash comes on frame 6?, that's extremely fast, although the end lag is kinda long.

Yessir, though you gotta keep in mind that it hits again behind him on F21, meaning it has around 40F endlag, about the same as the rest of his smashes.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
So roy's down smash comes on frame 6?, that's extremely fast, although the end lag is kinda long.
Yup, same as Marth's, except Marth's takes 2 frames longer to end, idk why. An extremely punishable move you shouldn't be using often, but at least the front hit does some good damage unlike Marth.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Preliminary Data
NOTE: For all moves add +7 frames of advantage if your opponent must drop their shield to punish you (IE they can't grab you or hit you with an Up B etc)

GROUND NORMALS
  • Jab = -15 on shield
  • F-Tilt = -19 on shield
  • D-Tilt = -19 on shield
  • U-Tilt(front hitbox) = -28 on shield
  • F-Smash = -33 on shield
  • Dsmash (hit 1) = -50 on shield
  • Dsmash(hit 2) = -34 on shield
Question, am I calculating this correctly?

If dtilt hits on F7 and the FAF is 21, then the defender has 14 minus x frames to punish, where x is the amount of shieldstun they incur.

Do the numbers you have listed above represent shieldstun or what? Because that would make a move like dtilt positive on block. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
It works well on Yoshi too. Seems ok on Marth Lucina and Ike as well. Also projectile neutral Bs work too. I found it easier to make tilts to c-stick and special to L
http://imgur.com/XarmpEB

Dash then holding the direction you're dashing :GCR: and at the same time hit :GCLT: + :GCCL: Or this :GCL: then :GCLT: + :GCCR: when dashing the other direction
The timing is strict.

Edit: There's a youtube video by My Smash Corner that dose it in the air but it easier to do the grounded one with the control scheme I have form me
I'm not changing my control scheme for a mere slide gimmick.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving Roy so far. It's everything I wanted and more, Roy is my new main. I KNEW my thousands of hours that went into Marth wouldn't be for nothing.

As you all know, Roy kills like a beast. He's got a ton of kill options now, more than Marth could ever dream of having.

Fthrow true combos into DED from 0% to around 25 ish. It can also be used for tech chases and such, as you all know.

I wish Bthrow had more knockback so you could space with it better offstage, there's not much you can do with it it seems.

Upthrow is pretty much identical to Marth/Lucina's, so the uses are the same.

Dthrow is a godsend, it true combos into many different things at different percents. It true combos into Fair at about 90% on most characters, which is amazing. There are so many options for dthrow, so mixing up your followups is a breeze. As long as you keep mixing it up, you can usually get a second hit out of Dthrow.

Neutral B is great offstage because it has so little ending lag. I've gotten tons of kill by jumping off while charging.

His recovery is pretty decent, IMO. The pros of it greatly outweigh its cons. As I've seen mentioned many times, it's great OoS. It can even be a surprise kill move if you play your cards right.

In a match, I found Roy even has a chaingrab-esque string. At 0%, Fthrow to Fair to regrab to Fthrow to regrab to dthrow seems reliable.

I could go on about things for much longer, but I want to go play more Roy!

It's funny. In melee, Marth was the superior character by far. My, how the tides have turned.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm seriously loving Roy but what would you all say is his strongest moves to solidify a kill? He seems to have an issue also getting in.

What moves do you all use?
If by "strongest," you mean pure strength, then Flare Blade without a doubt. If by "strongest" you mean strongest option, then either Blazer or forward smash.
Also, I'd like to let it be known that if you down throw and the opponent air dodges, forward smash is guaranteed.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Also, I'd like to let it be known that if you down throw and the opponent air dodges, forward smash is guaranteed.
I've gotten this so many times. I don't know why people think it's a good idea to airdodge like that against someone that hits like Roy.

Roy's down throw is innately useful for gauging reactions, since it has true follow ups for the opponent to fear. You can deal some interesting punishes on an opponent trying to escape said follow ups.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've gotten this so many times. I don't know why people think it's a good idea to airdodge like that against someone that hits like Roy.
I have yet to find out the flaw in the thought process of For Glory players that causes them air dodge at possible moment, even though I'm clearly going to hit you each time.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Its possible, though a little difficult. Assuming moving right, Inputs would be :GCR: (dash)...tap :GCL:, let go of control stick, :GCB:, and immediately :GCR:.
First off... Woah, it's freakin' Sethlon! Please tell us you're gonna plat Sm4sh now :3

Second, thanks for the tip, (or, should I say, HILT. GET IT.) that works pretty well

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
While we are requesting things...autocancel?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Its possible, though a little difficult. Assuming moving right, Inputs would be :GCR: (dash)...tap :GCL:, let go of control stick, :GCB:, and immediately :GCR:.
I was wondering when you'd come here. Shame you can't chain 14 up airs in a row anymore. I loved seeing you do that.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but fair > up b is a true combo on C. Falcon between roughly 5-50%. It does between 20-24% damage. Tested in training mode.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
What's a pummel exacty ? and what is the meaning of FAF?
A pummel is the attack that you can preform while grabbing someone (For example Mario bangs his head against the the opponent)
FAF = First Actionable Frame. Basically the first frame the player can input any attack, jump, or dodge after using an attack.

While we are requesting things...autocancel?
An attack that is autocancellable is able to be used in the air and, upon landing on the ground, does not recieve any endlag.

Last edited:

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Here are a hand full of combos I've found to work with Roy, they were tested on lvl9 com...more reliable than training room, but not the best.
-Dthrow at low % is guaranteed to lead to either Utilt or Jab on most characters, especially the fast fallers like C. Falcon, Fox and Sheik where it will work multiple times.
-After the point where Dthrow Utilt no longer works, switch over to Dthrow Uair, it works just as effectively as Dthrow Utilt.
-Fthrow can lead to a Fair if the throw sends them off stage, otherwise they could tech the ground and you'd miss the follow up
That's all I have so far for Roy combos, I think Roy can actually pull off a Ken combo, but I'm not entirely sure since I haven't tested it enough. I am also looking into the possibility of Dthrow to Dair working right at the ledge for an early KO. I've gotten it to work sometimes, but I'm not sure how guaranteed it is.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I have pulled off a Ken combo (FH Fair > FH Fair > double jump Dair spike) so yeah it's possible, just a bit tricky to land the spike.

Question, am I calculating this correctly?

If dtilt hits on F7 and the FAF is 21, then the defender has 14 minus x frames to punish, where x is the amount of shieldstun they incur.

Do the numbers you have listed above represent shieldstun or what? Because that would make a move like dtilt positive on block. Let me know if I'm mistaken.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing... if hit to FAF is only 14 frames, where does -19 come from?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but fair > up b is a true combo on C. Falcon between roughly 5-50%. It does between 20-24% damage. Tested in training mode.
Here are a hand full of combos I've found to work with Roy, they were tested on lvl9 com...more reliable than training room, but not the best.
-Dthrow at low % is guaranteed to lead to either Utilt or Jab on most characters, especially the fast fallers like C. Falcon, Fox and Sheik where it will work multiple times.
-After the point where Dthrow Utilt no longer works, switch over to Dthrow Uair, it works just as effectively as Dthrow Utilt.
-Fthrow can lead to a Fair if the throw sends them off stage, otherwise they could tech the ground and you'd miss the follow up
That's all I have so far for Roy combos, I think Roy can actually pull off a Ken combo, but I'm not entirely sure since I haven't tested it enough. I am also looking into the possibility of Dthrow to Dair working right at the ledge for an early KO. I've gotten it to work sometimes, but I'm not sure how guaranteed it is.
I have pulled off a Ken combo (FH Fair > FH Fair > double jump Dair spike) so yeah it's possible, just a bit tricky to land the spike.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... if hit to FAF is only 14 frames, where does -19 come from?
Hey, just to let you guys know, this isn't really the place to be posting combos.Frame data and questions relating to it should be our primary focus here. This thread is a more appropriate place for posting them. Thanks!

Last edited:

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
The one I mentioned works really well in For Glory tho plus its a lot easier to pull off. I don't see any down sides with this setup with certain characters and less room for wavebounce error.

General question: How often do you guys use DED?

I just like; to space with tilts, throwing people into doing aerials and revB / Wavebounce Flair blade.
I mean I guess Fthrow to DED is nice. Although doing Dthrow to UpB looks cool.

Has anyone found any footstool combos yet?
Also Can Roy Jab lock efficiently? Idk if Roy has a move with weak enough knock back to make a miss tech happen :s

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The one I mentioned works really well in For Glory tho plus its a lot easier to pull off. I don't see any down sides with this setup with certain characters and less room for wavebounce error.

General question: How often do you guys use DED?

I just like; to space with tilts, throwing people into doing aerials and revB / Wavebounce Flair blade.
I mean I guess Fthrow to DED is nice. Although doing Dthrow to UpB looks cool.

Has anyone found any footstool combos yet?
Also Can Roy Jab lock efficiently? Idk if Roy has a move with weak enough knock back to make a miss tech happen :s
I use DED a lot. Probably too much. >>^> is a nice combo. I space with dtilt, and dthrow into nair a lot (usually gets a free 20% at lower %s). I never use Flare Blade unless I'm trying to bait someone, but I'm getting the hang of pivot fsmashing (which Roy is crazy good at). Footstool combos are worthless to me, and I haven't found any uses for jab locks. I usually get enemies on the ground with >>vv DED or SH nairs, and I've found falling uairs especially useful at getting a decent lift on opponents to follow up with a tilt or DED.

Top Bottom