• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Agreed. 64 Ness is pretty bad, but I love pulling off fun stuff with him.

Especially in FFAs. :upsidedown:
64 Ness wasn't really a bad character, just screwed over by the fact that he had a meme recovery. Nobody's really bad at all in 64, even Luigi can do really dumb **** lol

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Ness? Bad in a Smash game? I'll have you know he was the very strongest in 64 and Melee..if we're only counting characters with striped shirts and backpacks.

If we're counting everyone, then yeah, he sucked pretty bad.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
64 remains to this day one of my favorites just because of the balance.

Yes, some characters have bad aspects. But EVERYONE has cool stuff to pull off.

D

Deleted member

Ness? Bad in a Smash game? I'll have you know he was the very strongest in 64 and Melee..if we're only counting characters with striped shirts and backpacks.

If we're counting everyone, then yeah, he sucked pretty bad.
I play Ness in every Smash, but I just can't stand to touch him in Melee. His Melee incarnation makes me cry. Why does PK Fire have a million years of startup and ending lag? Why is his dash so terrible? Why does controlling PK Thunder offstage feel like a marble rolling on a flat table?

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I play Ness in every Smash, but I just can't stand to touch him in Melee. His Melee incarnation makes me cry. Why does PK Fire have a million years of startup and ending lag? Why is his dash so terrible? Why does controlling PK Thunder offstage feel like a marble rolling on a flat table?
Oh, yeah, I play Ness in every Smash game too. Even Melee, whenever my friends ask me to jump in and play it. I don't win as often as I admittedly could if I played a better character, but I still enjoy him and win from time to time. I just know he isn't very good there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, yeah, I play Ness in every Smash game too. Even Melee, whenever my friends ask me to jump in and play it. I don't win as often as I admittedly could if I played a better character, but I still enjoy him and win from time to time. I just know he isn't very good there.
I feel ya. You've got my respect for staying dedicated to Ness in that game, anyhow. How people like Hunrgybox or Jim Jam Flim Flam do ok-ish with using him at top level still surprise me, lol

Both of my 64 mains, :kirbymelee: and :nessmelee: ended up both being heavily nerfed in Melee. S'why I play :icsmelee: and :sheikmelee:.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I played Mewtwo more in Melee than Ness for some reason.

Gotta love them psychic powers.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I main Ness in all the games Mewtwo is not in. Currently I play Ness second to Mewtwo for Smash 4. Ness is also safer for me to play as since I've used him in all four games, so I might actually be better with Ness than Mewtwo.

Edit: Correction, Ness has been my second since Melee because I used Pokemon Trainer in Brawl.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well we all know there are rumors of Mother 3 coming to America on virtual console this year. And as the saying goes, 'Where there is smoke, there's Mother 3'. (Actually I just heard that, not sure if that's what us EarthBound fans say). Of course we've somewhat talked about this subject from time to time, and I'm sure many of us, myself included, would love to see this game come over to America, as would those in Europe. So, how likely does everyone think that it will happen this year? It's the game's 10th Anniversary this year, so why not? Maybe give a % chance and explain why.

Last edited:

Izaw

Smash Ace
I don't know where to ask this, so I figured I'd give it a shot here.

Who are the top 3 European Ness's?

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
How can I win against ness? I know his recovery is not the best. Especially since you can jump into the PK Thunder's orb to destroy his recovery. But, what are weak:nessmelee:es that I can take advantage of?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
How can I win against ness? I know his recovery is not the best. Especially since you can jump into the PK Thunder's orb to destroy his recovery. But, what are weak:nessmelee:es that I can take advantage of?
THERE ARE NONE!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

But seriously, Ness is capable of a lot of things and doesn't have too much going against him. Like you mentioned, recovery is a problem though. Even projectiles can hit the orb and render him helpless. Also his bat, while useful, is a bit slow. In the rare case Ness uses PK Flash, that would be an opportune time to hit him hard, especially from behind.

I'm not a competitive player though, so I'm not really into "What's this character's bad/good MUs and what can I do about them?" type of stuff (plus Ness is overall a pretty solid character). Hopefully this helped a bit though. Others on this thread might be able to give you more.:ness:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Hey Ness Boards :)
A couple of weeks ago I played around as Ness on FG Smash and I find him really fun to use.
I have decided I'm adding him to my group of secondaires.
I really love how mobile he is with his aerials and landing PK Thunder 2 feels so satisfying. Same thing when getting a Jab Lock to FSmash and getting an early kill.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
SmashBound would be up there for European top Ness mains as well Izaw Izaw

(Buddha) (Buddha) - Ness is relatively slow, take advantage of him in neutral and punish him if he commits too hard to anything (Powershield PK Fire and punish, block Fair / unspaced Uair / unspace Bair and punish, etc.) Ness also hates being juggled, so take advantage of him when he's above you and remember he does have a godly air-dodge that he'll be trying to use to get back to the ground.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ninty has a direct tomorrow at 2pm PST, 5pm EST. Hype for M3!!!

D

Deleted member

Hey there, fellow Nesses!

I'm going to a regional in Orlando called FBC: Come to Papa, and they're going to be hosting every Smash game. I'm signing up for Brawl and Smash 4 singles, and I plan to show what Ness can do in Brawl! People like MVD and ESAM are in attendance so the bracket is packed, but I hope I do my best. I'll use Ness in 4 if I run into any bad MUs for Ike or Dedede (namely Pikachu for Fox).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I saw a video with this in it, but I can't find it so this is how I think they should announce M3 if they do today (or if at all).

It should go to the "The End... ?" screen at the end of EarthBound and zoom in on the . under the ?, then zoom out and that . is the o in Mother 3. Thoughts?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Everyone have their Ness and Lucas Amiibos with them in hopes that we get Mother 3 today?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The worst part of the Direct for me:

After talking some about RPGs, Bill says:

"There's a game in Japan called Mo-"

Well you guys all know what I was thinking for that half second...

"Monster Hunters Cross..."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Best Part:

Paper Mario game for Wii U, which lends even more credibility to the rumor that Mother 3 is coming to the U.S., as they were both part of the same rumor.

Now we've got 2 days we're all waiting for. April 20 (10th Anniversary of Mother 3 in Japan) or the days of E3.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
image.jpeg

My new Amiibo collection has expanded with the additions of gray and white R.O.B., Mr. Game and Watch, and Duck Hunt! I also ordered a Ness Amiibo online today, so all I have left is to wait for red and white R.O.B.!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I had to do a Zentangle assignment (basically a drawing with a ton of designs in it) for art class. Got it back today, figured you guys might want to see it...
image.jpeg

Fourside/Moonside with the Mani Mani Statue behind the Monotoli building.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I guess I've taken over the Ness boards since nobody here has posted in a while. Maybe my getting this will get you guys talking?
image.jpg

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I refuse to let you take over this thread.

Uses Hypnosis α
*Ness falls asleep*

Yeah, sorry I haven't been here in a while.
*Ness woke up!*
*Ness used PSI Rockin b*
(Cause he can't find the right symbol for beta and doesn't really understand why they have to be symbols in the first place!)

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I was playing around with 3ds stuff, and I managed to use the shield graphic to display hitbox location+sizes. Reminiscent of the brawl super scope ones, but the super scope in this game uses a beam and not a sphere.

The tiny center part of dair is the sweetspot. I wonder how hard it would be to display extended hitboxes with this method...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I found all this stuff from SSB Wiki under the trivia tab for Lucas:
image.jpeg
In other words, these "coincidences" are all just hinting that Mother 3 is going to come to America this year.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey everyone, bit of a late notice but I'm hosting a tournament tomorrow from 2:00-3:30 pm EST time. I'll post the password around 30 minutes before it starts. Here's the info. and rules.

Tourney Name: RnW's Tourney #2
Up to 100 participants. So enter the password quickly!!!
The winner will be the participant with the most POINTS, not most wins.
Time limit per match: 10 minutes.
3 Stocks each match.
You get to select a preferred stage.
The Smash Ball is the only item on, and is on the "high" likelihood of appearing.
Mii Fighters are allowed.
Custom Fighters are NOT allowed.

Good luck to everyone!!!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry guys, slight time change! It will now be from 7:00-8:30pm EST time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wait...hold on...listen to this...

Doesn't this sound like...a slower, more sad version of...

?
O.O

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So the tournament is up but won't start till 7. If you guys want in, the Tourney ID is 62277070272286. Password is Overdrive.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I was listening to this series' awesome music (again) and came across this!!!
Nice to know Mother 4's music won't disappoint!!!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So, do we have any Undertale fans here?

If so, what similarities between MOTHER did you enjoy?

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
In terms of specifically the similarities between Undertale and the Mother series, my favorite is the whole "defeat the final boss with love instead of violence" aspect. Even if it's not as innovative as it used to be, especially since you can technically do this to every enemy in the game, it still fits the theme of the Pacifist route perfectly and represents the culmination of all the work you did to reach that point.

However, I also want to approach this question from the angle of "favorite part of Undertale that also happens to share some similarities with Mother", since that is what ended up sticking with me the most overall. In spoilers, just in case.
My answer to that question would be Chara, who could be described as similar to Giygas in that they were once a physical being that eventually became a force of pure evil whose influence can be felt throughout the game, although Chara isn't actually the main antagonist of the story like Giygas was in Earthbound. I'm personally fond of deconstructive elements in various media, and while Undertale is a very "meta" game in general, Chara basically represents everything the game will call you out for in one package, and thus gets you to rethink everything you're doing, like a good deconstruction should.

Top Bottom