• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
@ PSIBoy PSIBoy , why? Just why did you vote for Pichu? WHY YOU NO VOTE ICIES?!?!?!
Well, I'm certain Icies will return if they can a) Fix the technical limitations or b) Make Icies Wii U and New 3DS exclusive. If none of the two, then I'm afraid they sadly don't have much of a chance. I'm almost certain Wolf would return also. And I want the joke character back so I can use him/her. And Pichu's cute. :)

@ Tikao Tikao , nice new profile pic by the way.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Lucas got revealed, Ness has a chance to be nerfed and the Ness mains are already dying out.
Our future might not be the brightest of all characters
Ness' past has been worse. Ness has never been a top character in any of the past games (except a version of Brawl+ where he got extremely popular) and thus he was one of the least played and ignored characters in the previous 3 games.

That, however, has never stopped me from playing Ness. Ness is the character I have the most experience and natural flow while playing. I'll be a Ness main until I die.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
ok, after 3 weeks of discussions in the Tikao backroom, there is now a profile picture which is both new and contains the spirit of ninten.
btw, we REALY need ninten as a ness costume
I don't really know much about Ninten (other than that he's the main character of the original Mother and he's supposedly Ness' father), but a Ninten costume would be nice.

_clinton

Smash Master
I'm not wanting nerfs, so I'm gonna talk about a lists of buffs I want still for Ness:
DJC option with ability to rise aerials still
yo-yos to not have blind spot if someone blocks the thing
dtilt has a sweetspot for 100% trip or just a buff to the normal trip rate
bat comes out on frame 18
dair to be out on frame 10 with 0 landing lag
PK Flash has larger more control over when you can let it go, move continues when hit, can cancel with a jump
PK Fire has ability to aim up and down like Link's boomerang
PK Thunder continues when you are hit
PSI Magnet has a 8% recovery min when absorbing something

Rising PK Flash can be controlled better, moves leff/right more, can choose how high it rises, has more kill power, move continues on if you are hit. Can cancel with a jump.
PK Freeze is given a major speed buff, move traps better, move has more reach, move cools down and can be set off sooner, move still works when you are hit. Can cancel with a jump.

PK Fire Burst has a para stun animation when it hits along with a slight range buff
PK Bonfire grounds foes into the ground/spikes them in air. Move ends slightly faster. Can be aimed up and down some.

Rolling PK Thunder can be cancelled with a dodge/shield, bolt lasts longer, bolt has more kill power
Lasting PK Thunder's PKT2 has more kill power

Forward PSI Magnet can be turned around, has 8% min recovery, hit of move has more kill power
PSI Vacuum's hit has super armor, has more kill power, and reflects projectiles.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if Lucas himself will get buffs from Brawl like Ness has (mostly... RIP in pieces dair).

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
it is a multihit move, so it might be different, but it will probadly have atleast 37 years landing lag

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
Haha I've been gone for a while but the Lucas trailer was still pretty hype. At this point every single tournament match I've played has been with Ness and I don't think that will change.

But I did consider for a second seriously picking up Lucas as a co-main or secondary.

I probably won't.

But if I were to use another character in tournament it probably would be Lucas.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The cool thing about Lucas is that if he's good, he could easily cover some of Ness' matchups that are hard due to spacing. I can see him having a better matchup against Mega Man or possibly Diddy.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The cool thing about Lucas is that if he's good, he could easily cover some of Ness' matchups that are hard due to spacing. I can see him having a better matchup against Mega Man or possibly Diddy.
It's always nice to have semi-clones of your main. My brother likes a little Captain Falcon to compliment his Ganon.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't call Lucas a semi-clone though, his entire moveset outside specials is completely different. Even his b moves that look similar act completely different.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
What's a gradient, art-wise? Google simply said this:

gra·di·ent
ˈɡrādēənt/
noun
noun: gradient; plural noun: gradients
  1. 1.
    an inclined part of a road or railway; a slope.
    "fail-safe brakes for use on steep gradients"
    synonyms:slope, incline, hill, rise, ramp, bank;More
    declivity, grade
    "the gradient of Miller's Hill Road is less steep than it was fifty years ago"
    • the degree of a slope.
      "the path becomes very rough as the gradient increases"
      synonyms:steepness, angle, slant, slope, inclination
      "the gradient of the line"
    • Mathematics
      the degree of steepness of a graph at any point.
  2. 2.
    Physics
    an increase or decrease in the magnitude of a property (e.g., temperature, pressure, or concentration) observed in passing from one point or moment to another.
    • the rate of a gradient change.
    • Mathematics
      the vector formed by the operator ∇ acting on a scalar function at a given point in a scalar field.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
What's a gradient, art-wise? Google simply said this:

gra·di·ent
ˈɡrādēənt/
noun
noun: gradient; plural noun: gradients
  1. 1.
    an inclined part of a road or railway; a slope.
    "fail-safe brakes for use on steep gradients"
    synonyms:slope, incline, hill, rise, ramp, bank;More
    declivity, grade
    "the gradient of Miller's Hill Road is less steep than it was fifty years ago"
    • the degree of a slope.
      "the path becomes very rough as the gradient increases"
      synonyms:steepness, angle, slant, slope, inclination
      "the gradient of the line"
    • Mathematics
      the degree of steepness of a graph at any point.
  2. 2.
    Physics
    an increase or decrease in the magnitude of a property (e.g., temperature, pressure, or concentration) observed in passing from one point or moment to another.
    • the rate of a gradient change.
    • Mathematics
      the vector formed by the operator ∇ acting on a scalar function at a given point in a scalar field.
Gradient is just a smooth transition from one color to another.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I'm not wanting nerfs, so I'm gonna talk about a lists of buffs I want still for Ness:
DJC option with ability to rise aerials still
yo-yos to not have blind spot if someone blocks the thing
dtilt has a sweetspot for 100% trip or just a buff to the normal trip rate
bat comes out on frame 18
dair to be out on frame 10 with 0 landing lag
PK Flash has larger more control over when you can let it go, move continues when hit, can cancel with a jump
PK Fire has ability to aim up and down like Link's boomerang
PK Thunder continues when you are hit
PSI Magnet has a 8% recovery min when absorbing something
Wait... You want buffs in the patch? That's quite a list of demands. I think Ness is in a fine place where he is. There are characters FAR more deserving of buffs. Although Melee or Brawl Dair would be nice.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oats! :grin:

I don't think he was expecting them or anything, he just said if he could have them that's the buffs he'd like. :3

If it were me I'd make Fair do like 11% and make our risk v reward on that move ludicrously skewed ehuehuehuehue :evil:

Nah not really I'd probably make more subtle changes in the end if I was really serious about it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Agreed. Give me a better Dair, and I'll be fine for the time being.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
No promises but I may be back on the Ness train. Smash 4 is just killing me, I can't stick to a character. But having Ness as a constant backup seems like a good idea. Plus, I love the kid. As for a main... I'm still working on that. I can't believe I dropped a character BECAUSE he got me results. I dunno, does anyone else feel like Ness is too easy? It's probably the game's fault more than the character. Maybe I've just been approaching this game with the wrong mindset.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
No promises but I may be back on the Ness train. Smash 4 is just killing me, I can't stick to a character. But having Ness as a constant backup seems like a good idea. Plus, I love the kid. As for a main... I'm still working on that. I can't believe I dropped a character BECAUSE he got me results. I dunno, does anyone else feel like Ness is too easy? It's probably the game's fault more than the character. Maybe I've just been approaching this game with the wrong mindset.
Ness has a playstyle in this game that I've found easy to master. But I feel it has a lot to do with the fact we're competitive players. I've gone against so many people who have told me how awed they were at how in sync I was with my character, as if Ness was an extension of me or as if we were the same entity. I think that can only come through dedication, and the fluidness kinda came as a result.

I don't think Ness is too easy, not when the more mobile section of the cast can punish him well. I think there's a point where he's easy to play against a certain group of people and a point where you have to work hard again. He's definitely a good character but I think to say his playstyle is straightforward is more a reflection of your dedication to the kid than the fact he's a straight up flowchart character. To some extent he is, but to some extent Palutena is a flowchart character and peeps don't complain.

Hmm, it's hard to elaborate on what I mean, but I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm thinking. Like any other character, we need to make decisions which will affect how the game goes. We're not Diddy Kong, we're great but we still need to work for our win like anyone else. To discredit that is to be unfair to yourself. :)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Ness has a playstyle in this game that I've found easy to master. But I feel it has a lot to do with the fact we're competitive players. I've gone against so many people who have told me how awed they were at how in sync I was with my character, as if Ness was an extension of me or as if we were the same entity. I think that can only come through dedication, and the fluidness kinda came as a result.

I don't think Ness is too easy, not when the more mobile section of the cast can punish him well. I think there's a point where he's easy to play against a certain group of people and a point where you have to work hard again. He's definitely a good character but I think to say his playstyle is straightforward is more a reflection of your dedication to the kid than the fact he's a straight up flowchart character. To some extent he is, but to some extent Palutena is a flowchart character and peeps don't complain.

Hmm, it's hard to elaborate on what I mean, but I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm thinking. Like any other character, we need to make decisions which will affect how the game goes. We're not Diddy Kong, we're great but we still need to work for our win like anyone else. To discredit that is to be unfair to yourself. :)
I can definitely see what you're saying. I had picked him up when the game was very young, and his simple playstyle was an asset against other players of the same level and lower, but I don't think it should be an issue anymore. Plus, I still do and always have gotten stomped by Falcons.

I've always been kind of an over thinker, and in my mind, playing a high tier character was taking the "easy road", which I didn't like. But that's just led me to my current spot, I've played all kinds of characters and found little success with them. Like, I would play someone like Robin, and then get frustrated that I was losing to random Falcons or Yoshis.

So I think a change of mindset is in order. And to mark that change, I think it's time I returned to Ness. Maybe only as a secondary, but it's a start. I definitely wasted a lot of time and still will, but no more excuses. I guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ness is not a character, Ness is a state of mind.
Hard to argue that. I think of Ness and I think of a game series with AMAZING music, and a game (EarthBound of course) that I really need to get. SOON!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness is straightforward, but only really good at stomping noobs. At a competitive level, he's just good, and nothing more or less.
You've got to play patiently and careful with him since he doesn't have lagless safe moves like the higher tier characters, so he's not THAT braindead.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ness is straightforward, but only really good at stomping noobs. At a competitive level, he's just good, and nothing more or less.
You've got to play patiently and careful with him since he doesn't have lagless safe moves like the higher tier characters, so he's not THAT braindead.
Agreed. Braindead= Brawl Meta Knight.

Tikao

Smash Ace
not even characters with many good and save/lagless moves are braindead on a highly competitive level (even brawl mk).
just because it is easy getting an ok-ish pocket character doesn't mean mastering the same character will be easy.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I don't think there are any brain dead characters, at least not at a mid-to-high level, where playing on auto-pilot will get you punished.

Jya

Smash Rookie
There may not be any braindead characters but there are definitely some braindead ways to play some of them. (I'm looking at you for glory little macs) :laugh:

Also this is my first post on the Ness boards!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
There may not be any braindead characters but there are definitely some braindead ways to play some of them. (I'm looking at you for glory little macs) :laugh:

Welcome!

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Diddy disagrees with you.
MY Diddy disagrees with you. Seriously, I'm no good with him. My Brawl Meta Knight is no better than my Brawl Lucas or Ness either.

Agreed. Also, welcome to Smashboards and the Ness boards.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Nice to see Lucas back, though, I wish Ninten would be a playable character, honestly. I mean sure he looks strikingly similar to Ness, but so did Pichu to Pikachu. It's sad how the original Mother protagonist gets neglected and overshadowed by it's squeal counterparts. It's like if smash had Roy and Ike, but not Marth.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that Ness at least gets a Ninten alt or something. Heck, even a trophy alone would be great.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hard to argue that. I think of Ness and I think of a game series with AMAZING music, and a game (EarthBound of course) that I really need to get. SOON!
I really do think of Ness as my representative in smash brothers sometimes. I love the image that he's an extension of myself, it makes me feel really proud and wanting to continue to take him as far as I possibly can. <3

Welcome to the Ness boards Jya!!! =D

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
At least there's a Ninten cameo on the Magicant stage. Plus that stage's visual is more based on Mother 1's Magicant while adding things from Mother 2.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Hello fellow Ness mains, I think you guys are going to enjoy this video. I'm fairly sure it's related to Ness...

If you do enjoy it, please spread it out, so other people may enjoy it as well :b:

Top Bottom