• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Story of the Roy & Mewtwo Rumor, as well as the Brawl Roster Leak!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
As-is, most accurately, Mario has 4 characters, Zelda 5, and Pokèmon 6.
I'm dumbfounded how both Mario and Zelda didn't recieve any newcomers in Brawl (I don't consider Toon Link a newcomer for an instant. He's young Link with a new model).

So really, I find the odds of them adding both Mewtwo AND Plusle and Minun is just plain unbelievable. Pokemon with twice as many characters (even more if you count both rats seperately) as Mario? Come on now.

spindash

Smash Ace
Depending on how you look at it, both it and Zelda already do. Remember that Pokèmon Trainer effectively is three different characters - Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard - and that Zelda and Sheik, while sharing a spot on the select screen, are two different characters in their own right. As-is, most accurately, Mario has 4 characters, Zelda 5, and Pokèmon 6.

Zevox
You're right. In the long run of things? The number of characters representing a franchise does not truly matter in Smash Bros., it would seem. If it did, we would have gotten more then Samus & Zero-Suit Samus as playable characters from the Metroid series. I'm not complaining here, but if Mario got stuck with 4 characters? So be it. But if this Downloadable Content holds true for characters, then the Mario franchise may have a little brush with luck on newer characters in the future.

Meh. And even if we didn't get anyone new, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser representing Mario is good enough for me!

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Didn't Mario get around 8 stages? =/
Where's the most any other franchise got was 3. I think that makes up for Zelda/ Pokemon having more characters.
I think Sakurai counts Pokemon/Zelda as having 4 characters though. I can understand Pokemon trainer being included as 1 character, as they're all tied to each other, and ARE dependant on each other. With the stamina system none of them could survive on the battle field without the other. Zelda/Sheik however are not TIED to each other. You don't have to switch to either one at any time. They're basically completely different characters.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Why on earth they'd move the Third Parties over to the left of Mario makes zero sense... Adding a half Column after Marth and Ike, and another under Ike after Lucario and Jigglypuff would make sense. I'd say two unrelated characters like Suka/Taka/Lip/Demille/Kawashima/OUENDAN!

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
On a serious note, I think 55 is way over the top and would be virtually impossible without clones. Though, 35 isn't nearly enough characters, either (aside from the fact that the final roster completely avoids everything Sakurai promised, like new females, villains (REAL villains, not this anti-hero and rival crap) and no clones).
Prove it. Where did Sakurai say these things. Don't get your hopes up if you are going to be whiny and obnoxiously justified feeling. In addition "we must have more of this archetype of character while ignoring these two important and prevelant ones because I say so. Sound like fun!" There needed to be at least 1 antihero and 1 rival. Also we got DDD as a villain. Calm yourself.

I threw together a roster mock-up a few weeks ago, without removing anyone and tossing in a full new row and column to the roster screen, which still brings us to an acceptable 49 characters. I also came up with acceptable character choices to fill all of those slots (including a few new clones, because I believe if they were going to give up on remaking the old clones, they should've at least given us new ones), but I don't remember a lot of them off the top of my head. This also isn't the place to discuss it.

However, I think, if DLC is at all realistic, that 49 would be a good final roster number for them to aim for.
God. 35 is enough.

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet
Mario not getting new characters?

Mario and Donkey Kong originated in the same game, Donkey Kong.
Yoshi originated in Super Mario World.
Wario originated in Super Mario Land 2.

Basically, Mario has 7 characters, 8 if you count Diddy, a regular in the multiplayer Mario games, but of independant origin.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Why was this topic bumped? I don't want it closed, however, you do realize this rumor was disproven by Sakurai when he said that there would be no DLC, right? Anyway, for those still wondering, Tfox never got back to me about the explanation from his source about this rumor being false. I am thinking that either Tfox or his source lied now.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
ummm wtf?

I'm dumbfounded how both Mario and Zelda didn't recieve any newcomers in Brawl (I don't consider Toon Link a newcomer for an instant. He's young Link with a new model).

So really, I find the odds of them adding both Mewtwo AND Plusle and Minun is just plain unbelievable. Pokemon with twice as many characters (even more if you count both rats seperately) as Mario? Come on now.
ok 1st of all mario has 8 characters, mario, luigi, bowser, peach, yoshi, wario, donkey kong, diddy kong

daisy and waluigi for ssb4! (the only ones left to put in >_>, they could have original move sets)

2nd of all wario is more than enough for a new character
almost every series got 1 new character, not to mention the assist trophies add even more characters

3rd of all toon link is NOT young link, 60% of his move set was replaced, not to mention the weight, speed, size, art style, combos, among MANY MANY other differences

technically speaking theyre not even the same person, the links from melee didnt return

young link+link = zelda 1+2+ocarina+mask
brawl link = twilight princess
toon link = wind waker+phantom hourglass

in fact there are like 6+ different links in existance

since we had 6 clones last time, and because every clone is reworked/removed to the point where every clone is 30/30/40% clone(only3 semi clones)

add in zzs+sheik+pkmn trainer x3 we have 39 characters with unique move sets, no clones

its like this 26(melee)-6clones+19 originals/reworked now = 39

our line-up was nearly doubled and people complain, sigh

Zevox

Smash Lord
ok 1st of all mario has 8 characters, mario, luigi, bowser, peach, yoshi, wario, donkey kong, diddy kong
Donkey and Diddy Kong are not Mario characters. They have their own series, and the only connection between the two is that both Mario and DK started on the same game, the original Donkey Kong arcade game. Thats enough of a connection for Nintendo to put them in the Mario sports/party games (chiefly because the Mario series on its own doesn't have enough unique characters for them), but that does not make either Donkey or Diddy Mario characters.

You'll also note that, while Wario and Yoshi are Mario characters in origin, they represent their own series in Brawl. Obviously Yoshi's series never really strayed far from Mario's, but Wario's has become an entity in its own, so whether he can be considered a Mario representative is also arguable.

Your claims about the clones are also wrong on many counts, but I'll let you discover that yourself when the game comes out.

Zevox

Top Bottom