• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Story of a Noob, trying to make it big.

Bing

Smash Master
Hello everyone, my name is Bing, atleast in the Smash community that is, outside of that, my name is Brad, the 18 year old from a small town near Niagara Falls, currently residing in the greatest region around, the GTA(Greater Toronto Area). But my tale doesn’t begin here, of even recently that is, it begins back in 2007, when I first started playing smash bros, melee that is. I had been playing as a Marth and Fox main back then and none of friends could even come close to beating me, I thought I really was “The ****”, so, current day Mango. But like any player, I wanted to get better, so I stumbled onto youtube and viewed a video that I believe changed my smash career forever.

Despite thinking that I was amazing, viewing this video changed how good of a player I really thought I was. I had never heard of pro gaming, so when I saw M2K vs. Pc Chris at Evo 2K7, I got a small fire lite under my ***, one that wouldn’t expand until 2010 when the idea of having actual tech skill became somewhat of a reality.

I was starting to get better, I was 4 stocking level 9’s left, right and center, so, this gave me the illusion that, well, I was good. I had been watching tournament matches since 2007 and I thought it was time to get into the scene and see if I could hang with the likes of M2K, Mango, Zhu and all best in the world. This was last year just after ROM 3. Kirbykaze had just had an impressive run and being that we were in the same region, I figured I’d have a chat with him to see how I could get into the scene. It was just my luck that he was holding a Smashfest the following week. I was so pumped. I asked KirbyKaze(Just a sidenote, I will probably refer to him as David at some point so yeah…) anyways, I asked David for some tips, and he told me to either “Do Broken thing with Broken Character or do good with bad character” Something that still sticks with me today.
The day had come, it was time for me to head to David’s house to play against some of the best in the area. It was a very ****ing cold day. I had a long bus ride out, and a bit of difficulty finding the place but once I had found it, the fun was about to begin!

A large amount of the smashers had stayed over at David the night before, but apparently he was the only one awake, so I got to get off to a good start in playing him in a bunch of 1 on 1’s to start off the day. He called cold hand johns for me because I had just gotten into the house, we played my Mario vs. His Falcon, and somehow, I won, it was close, and he did SD once, but regardless, I had won. But, that was very short lived as the next match he won by 2 stocks. I was still incredibly excited because I felt as if I was hanging with one of the best. But, the feeling went away as the next oh I don’t know, 9 matches were all 3 and 4 stocks won by him. So there goes that feeling of being good.

The rest of the day didn’t seem to be much different, I generally lost most of my matches, except for winning a Fatal 4 Way with everyone using Yoshi. The low point of the day was when I started to play the great Unknown522(Ryan Ford). We played 7 matches, and I took a grand total of 4 stocks in those 7 matches, go me .

I left that day thinking, wow, Im ****, but I still got my foot in the door, and I was happy about that. I have been trying to improve in whatever ways possible, and I haven’t looked back since.

If you think I should keep writing, leave some comments, I would much appreciate it.

This is sorta going to be like a diary, so the first few chapters are going to be a catch up, but yeah..

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure everyone think they're hot **** until they actually go to a tourney at get ***** by everyone.

It took me 6 months to win my first tournament set and another 6 months to win my second tournament set. Back in the day I was 6 stocking level 9s in 6 stock games all day. I thought I was so cool

Playing Boss for the first time was a nightmare. I was thanking some kind of divine being up their when i got him over 50%

Then like 3 or 4 months later I played Mew2King all day

Blogs are fun. You should share some more stories sometime

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah I remember my first match with David.
I was just like ._. the whole time. What do you dooooooooo

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
haha. im glad i never had that experience. i was the worst of my group of friends... since then, due to a combination of my own tenacity and their differing life circumstances, i've become better than all of them. still suck compared to pros though.

anyway, point is, good job taking the right lesson from it. Keep on truckin'

Zodiac

Smash Master
The difference between me and all of you is I actually was the best in the world back in the day, I was so good I robbed the light from even the most hype of smashers. but I stepped down my game for the greater good, and now smash thrives

Bing

Smash Master
well im going to keep writing this I guess, even if next to no one reads it, but regardless.

The best part about getting ***** by pros is that their generally pretty helpful, they point out mistakes and tell you how you can fix it, and you can ask them for tips and they always offer it to you. I still ask Kirbykaze and Raynex for tips and it really helps :p

Stevo

Smash Champion
am I the only one that entered the smash tourney scene and did not get *****?

I lurked smashboards for a couple years even before my join date, and used to dl videos off of DC++ and stuff, so maybe I just did my homework before competing.

EDIT: maybe it is because I have been part of the smash scene since smash 64 came out.... so I never really "entered" the scene, I was always part of it.

I didnt play anyone except my one friend until '04 though.

Only good players play Melee now. You're going to get ***** if you joined the tournament scene after Brawl's release

Barrier

Smash Cadet
I'm one of those new "bad" players, but I'm improving enough to adequately catch up.

Bing, you played my Ganondorf in pools at Kyle's mini tournament. Just keep practicing and breaking through plateaus, you'll notice a difference.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure everyone think they're hot **** until they actually go to a tourney at get ***** by everyone.
i thought i was really bad until my first tournament. then i found out I was p decent.

still thought i was pretty bad before my first oos tourney. found out I'm pretty damn good.

get yo stereotype ***** son.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Keep writing, and especially keep playing. The "devastating" first entry into the competitive scene is what puts a lot of people off to any game. You are in a great region, and those players seem to be very friendly and helpful on the boards, so I'm sure they're going to help you improve a ton.

unknown522

Some guy
^ I was probably creating this post.

am I the only one that entered the smash tourney scene and did not get *****?

I lurked smashboards for a couple years even before my join date, and used to dl videos off of DC++ and stuff, so maybe I just did my homework before competing.

EDIT: maybe it is because I have been part of the smash scene since smash 64 came out.... so I never really "entered" the scene, I was always part of it.

I didnt play anyone except my one friend until '04 though.
Raynex and I never got *****. We both tied for 7th at our first tourney (out of 84 entrants). Also 7th in teams (out of 40). There were players such as: MLG_JV, Kingsley, PKM Vodka, Chesterr01, and some others from michigan and buffalo.

That was back in 2005.

The low point of the day was when I started to play the great Unknown522(Ryan Ford). We played 7 matches, and I took a grand total of 4 stocks in those 7 matches, go me .
I remember that. I think it's been less than 3 months since all this happened.

Ryan Ford??

Yeah he's pretty gewd. ;)
haha, thanks.

Edit: Lol @ lovage's post. So mean, but so funny.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Raynex and I never got *****. We both tied for 7th at our first tourney (out of 84 entrants). Also 7th in teams (out of 40). There were players such as: MLG_JV, Kingsley, PKM Vodka, Chesterr01, and some others from michigan and buffalo.

That was back in 2005.
wow, why can't you guys have **** tournys like that anymore.

Signia

Smash Lord
I knew I was gonna ***** at my first smashfest because I had some experience with another competitive community, also everyone thinks they're good at smash so I told my friend to get ready for a rude awakening.

So we drove over to JDM's place. A kid who looked about 15 answered and was like "uhh the tournament was last week." We just sort of awkwardly walked away.

Ok next week was our real first smashfest. They all played either fox or falco and we played marth and sheik so we had no idea how to deal with lasers and shield pressure. They said weird things like "Shine bear!" I got destroyed but Okami did ok, despite saying things like "I don't even L-cancel" and shielding grabbing every time his shield was hit.

Bing

Smash Master
Alright guys, well i've written the next 4 parts, but I cant upload right now because im on my friends laptop.

Thanks for the support all, and btw, I know im in a great region, one of the best for sure. :)

Marshallmallowlol

Smash Cadet
That's cool, you should keep posting.
Its funny, AI isn't very good on melee. I can 4 stock a computer using just side smash, but as soon as I pull out any aerials or fancy moves they make it a close match. haha

4 Aces

Smash Ace
That's cool, you should keep posting.
Its funny, AI isn't very good on melee. I can 4 stock a computer using just side smash, but as soon as I pull out any aerials or fancy moves they make it a close match. haha
Same. They just block stuff perfectly, which is annoying, because you know they suck. :glare:

Top Bottom