• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Steam Box - A new console by Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If they only have stuff that's available from Steam, then I see no reason for me to get it. However, this is a great way for people without good PCs to get in on some good stuff.

finalark

SNORLAX
Is it a console or PC? Because vavle games, as a rule, are just better on PC.

Unless this is some new PC/console hybrid.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
So it's essentially a computer... but a console?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think you are all missing the point here. If Valve goes through with this, I can see this as a replacement to Steam.

Think of it this way: Steam already works as a development ground. You build a game, let steam manage it, market it, etc. Now, this console comes out, and boom, you have one more avenue taken care of.

All consoles are computers, so all Steam would have to do is include an easy to use Keyboard, mouse, and controller, and they will literally have any game type covered.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
It sounds like it'll be a much cheaper and affordable gaming pc.....I think. Or is it supposed to be a console that can run steam (and according to the link, it can run Origin and other services like that).

finalark

SNORLAX
I think you are all missing the point here. If Valve goes through with this, I can see this as a replacement to Steam.

Think of it this way: Steam already works as a development ground. You build a game, let steam manage it, market it, etc. Now, this console comes out, and boom, you have one more avenue taken care of.

All consoles are computers, so all Steam would have to do is include an easy to use Keyboard, mouse, and controller, and they will literally have any game type covered.
He's got a point. Plus if This Steam Box is made to compete with MS I'm sure they wouldn't want it on their PCs.

Makes you wonder if this will be a download-only console.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I could see the Steam Box outselling the next Xbox if you can use any hardrive you want, such as terabyte hardrive. The best hardrive the 360 had was only 320 gb.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The bit I like it "Additionally, there won't be a required devkit, and there will be no licensing fees to create software for the platform."

Tim Schafer recently said that it costs $40,000 to put a patch up for a 360 game. This would be freaking amazing. More money spent on development, able to patch and upgrade for free (ie, like the constant stream of updates for TF2)

If this is real I might be interested in consoles again.

D

Deleted member

As someone who's been worshipping Valve for the past year or so, I'm skeptical. If it's a new console, I'm not sure the market can support four competing consoles. If it's a new computer, OS, or something, I'm not sure it will catch on with more people than PC gamers.

Morin0

Smash Lord
GabeCube sounds cool but I think I'll pass on this. Unless Valve includes some pretty cool proprietary tools/software that my current computer can't do/have.

finalark

SNORLAX
As someone who's been worshipping Valve for the past year or so, I'm skeptical. If it's a new console, I'm not sure the market can support four competing consoles. If it's a new computer, OS, or something, I'm not sure it will catch on with more people than PC gamers.
Its a big risk if its meant to be a new console. The console market is a sink or swim place and more often people sink rather than swim.

From the sound of it, this Valve console sounds like its supposed to be what the Xbox was supposed to be from the start - a gaming computer for console gamers. Only this time with all of the cool modding features and flexibility of a computer.

D

Deleted member

Indeed. If it's a console and it proves to be successful, I can see it being an almost complete replacement for PC gaming.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Controller? That won't sit well with the majority of Steam users since, you know, mouse and keyboard are the superior controllers :troll:

At least for FPS games and other games but I could see the controller be of use for certain games.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Controller? That won't sit well with the majority of Steam users since, you know, mouse and keyboard are the superior controllers :troll:

At least for FPS games and other games but I could see the controller be of use for certain games.
You are aware the whole point is that it's a console. Consoles = controllers. Yeah it'll be compatible with mouse and keyboard, but that doesn't mean that all games are the best with them (Platformers for example)

Regardless, the point is to be a successful competitor against current consoles, and that means they need a controller. One that is customisable is brilliant.

Morin0

Smash Lord
You are aware the whole point is that it's a console. Consoles = controllers. Yeah it'll be compatible with mouse and keyboard, but that doesn't mean that all games are the best with them (Platformers for example)

Regardless, the point is to be a successful competitor against current consoles, and that means they need a controller. One that is customisable is brilliant.
Yes, I know. I was kidding. :)

If you look at my post, I mentioned that the keyboard and mouse are good for FPS games and a couple others. I'm aware a controller is better for certain games..

:phone:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just going to throw out there that if this console launches completely compatible with the current steam then it will have the largest launch line up ever.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
4 console race goooooooooooo.

I'm interested in this but I'd want to know:

-Games (+exclusives)
-Price
-Multiplayer options
-Does it offer something more than an equally expensive pc?

yani

Smash Lord
At first I thought this would be stupid,but I have to admit I'm pretty interested now. I wonder if this is going to be a gaming type PC, or a console. I think it would be a bit weird to have Steam in your living room, but why not?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
And then that idea was shut down

I guess it's time to go back to buying either $ony or M$ since Ninty can't do hardcore gaming for **** next gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom