• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSB Poll Lounge: DLC mode engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
My Unit has made one game appearance though. But I kind of get your point with Anna.
Yes every link is different but we don't have windwaker link in brawl. We have generic Toon Link. And Generically spirit tracks link is Toon Link. And I may be wrong but I don't see Roy being treated better than Marth, Ike, or Chrom.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't really mind moving from poll discussion to character discussion, but if the next ten replies (All of which I'm notified of) are about FE, we should just move this discussion elsewhere. Really, it's like the only topic I can't really stand.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't really mind moving from poll discussion to character discussion, but if the next ten replies (All of which I'm notified of) are about FE, we should just move this discussion elsewhere. Really, it's like the only topic I can't really stand.
Me too pal

Most annoying arguments.

1# FE
2# Ridley is too big
3# what chars do you think will be cut.....

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Needs more Starfy love. So, I'm going to insert some great Starfy music to get people pumped.
LOVE HIM AS I DO. PLEASE.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Shorts, one thing to consider when evaluating where characters fit on tiers is Sakurai's admittance to going back to Brawl to pull character ideas. This would bode well for characters like Mii, the Assist Trophy Trio, and others who were at the height of their popularity at that time.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shorts, one thing to consider when evaluating where characters fit on tiers is Sakurai's admittance to going back to Brawl to pull character ideas. This would bode well for characters like Mii, the Assist Trophy Trio, and others who were at the height of their popularity at that time.

Who exactly makes up the AT trio? Mac, Isaac, and Goroh? And, who would you consider moving up from my tiers?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Who exactly makes up the AT trio? Mac, Isaac, and Goroh? And, who would you consider moving up from my tiers?
AT Trio is Starfy/Isaac/Saki. All three kind of sit in the same boat behind Little Mac, so I'd put all of them in the same tier. Outside of that I'd say everyone else is where they should be.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mac > Isaac > Starfy > Goroh = Saki imo.

Though only if Sakurai has changed his opinion of Starfy like with Villager. Otherwise he'd be last.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I feel like people put more stock into Isaac than they should. Which is why I left him in the 50/50 catagory.

Of course, Sakurai is completely unpredictable, so who knows. Saki and Starfy could be moved up I suppose. They were just after thoughts honestly. I mean, after AC, Miis, Mac, Shulk, Takamaru, Isaac... it's only then that yoou start to name off Starfy and Saki. I actually forgot Saki on the list at first. No one brings him up anymore... like, ever. It's weird because in 2011 it was a completely different story. Same with Starfy even.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree about Isaac actually, I think 50/50 is fine for him (actually if Sakurai is putting more stock in Brawl-era popularity... maybe 60/40), I would just put the three lower than him at less than 50/50, which Starfy and Saki are already (I would also made a few more changes to your tiers - but that's another debate). Overall I agree with more than a disagree with though.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Goroh is a non factor at this point. While Isaac may carry a weight of Western popularity, Starfy tends to fare better in Japan -- out of all the Assist Trophies (though that's comparable to being the prettiest person in an ugly school considering how little they are discussed). Saki benefits from Sakurai's slight interest in the series, and the fact he was a decently requested character at one point. The equalizer between them all is their most recent releases underperformed with Starfy's title being the closest to marginally successful.

To your last point about Starfy, Sakurai has never stated anything pertaining to Starfy's ability to fight. The only characters he mentioned were Villager, Nintendog and Mii. With Mii it had less to do with his/her fighting ability and more to do with the casual persona they carry, which is something he wished to avoid with Brawl; even though a case can be made that Brawl was the most casual game in the series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree about Isaac actually, I think 50/50 is fine for him (actually if Sakurai is putting more stock in Brawl-era popularity... maybe 60/40), I would just put the three lower than him at less than 50/50, which Starfy and Saki are already (I would also made a few more changes to your tiers - but that's another debate). Overall I agree with more than a disagree with though.

Which is actually how I have it. Well, I mean unless you're grouping Goroh in with Starfy and Saki. I have Goroh and Black Shadow at 50/50. Mostly because of how damn close they are on the poll results, and there really isn't a right or wrong choice between the two. No clear cut "This character obviously should be in first". But FZ characters being 50/50 have no correleation with Isaac, Saki, or Starfy's stances. imo.

Personally, Miis, Mac, and Pac-Man are all but included. So I haven't put much thought into their inclusion outside of that rumor.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To your last point about Starfy, Sakurai has never stated anything pertaining to Starfy's ability to fight. The only characters he mentioned were Villager, Nintendog and Mii. With Mii it had less to do with his/her fighting ability and more to do with the casual persona they carry, which is something he wished to avoid with Brawl; even though a case can be made that Brawl was the most casual game in the series.
He said no series post-Pikmin (and pre-Brawl) had characters that would really work well in a fighting game. Yeah, he didn't mention Starfy specifically, but Starfy does fall into that category. However with his opinion of Villager changed, who knows.

D

Deleted member

I feel like people put more stock into Isaac than they should. Which is why I left him in the 50/50 catagory.

Of course, Sakurai is completely unpredictable, so who knows. Saki and Starfy could be moved up I suppose. They were just after thoughts honestly. I mean, after AC, Miis, Mac, Shulk, Takamaru, Isaac... it's only then that yoou start to name off Starfy and Saki. I actually forgot Saki on the list at first. No one brings him up anymore... like, ever. It's weird because in 2011 it was a completely different story. Same with Starfy even.
To be fair, people have become increasingly pessimistic about Isaac. In 2011, Isaac was considerably among the most likely newcomers. In 2012, there were strong doubt from a significantly minority, but he was still considered likely by most people. Now? Most people are mixed on his chance. Mega Man had a similar route (but I've noticed more pessimism than optimism about his inclusion) but ended up getting in. But yeah, 50/50 is a good way to describe Isaac's chances.
He said no series post-Pikmin (and pre-Brawl) had characters that would really work well in a fighting game. Yeah, he didn't mention Starfy specifically, but Starfy does fall into that category. However with his opinion of Villager changed, who knows.
Sakurai being able to change his mind on characters working out is really what gives Starfy a shot. This means that Sakurai can revisit Starfy if he previously rejected him (although I still am doubtful at the end of the day since I think Isaac and Saki have a better chance).

@Starphoenix: I'm not sure if we'll get a 2nd Assist Trophy character. On the one hand, I feel as there's a decent chance we'll get one since Isaac, Saki and Starfy are all contenders, but on the other hand, Shulk has the best shot of the non-confirmed, non-leaked misc. series newcomers and he does have the most going for him and if he gets in, I do have some doubts about us getting another misc. series newcomer.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
He said no series post-Pikmin (and pre-Brawl) had characters that would really work well in a fighting game. Yeah, he didn't mention Starfy specifically, but Starfy does fall into that category. However, with his opinion of Villager changed, who knows.
After Villager this isn't a quote we should be clinging to anymore (literally speaking anyways). This isn't to say the general principle isn't true, but obviously Sakurai is being a little "looser" with the characters this time around -- at least what he has shown. You're correct though that by virtue of the fact that the Assist Trophies, for the most part, were rejected characters does not bode well, but if Sakurai can so drastically change his mind on Villager, a character he went out of his way to put up a graphic explaining why he could not work, than some of these less problematic series and characters are in better standing for a turn around. After all, Charizard was a Pokéball prior to Brawl.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I'm not sure if we'll get a 2nd Assist Trophy character. On the one hand, I feel as there's a decent chance we'll get one since Isaac, Saki and Starfy are all contenders, but on the other hand, Shulk has the best shot of the non-confirmed, non-leaked misc. series newcomers and he does have the most going for him and if he gets in, I do have some doubts about us getting another misc. series newcomer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai being able to change his mind on characters working out is really what gives Starfy a shot. This means that Sakurai can revisit Starfy if he previously rejected him (although I still am doubtful at the end of the day since I think Isaac and Saki have a better chance).
I agree, that's why I put him ahead of Goroh or Saki. That said, even if Sakurai's opinion of his fighting potential has changed, I don't think it necessarily means he has a great chance or whatever, it's not like his series is anywhere near Villager's. But the international release definitely helped, though the current drought of Starfy's games probably hasn't. Tbh I'd still be surprised if he made the roster, but not nearly as surprised as I would've been had Villager not been unveiled.

After Villager this isn't a quote we should be clinging to anymore (literally speaking anyways). This isn't to say the general principle isn't true, but obviously Sakurai is being a little "looser" with the characters this time around -- at least what he has shown. You're correct though that by virtue of the fact that the Assist Trophies, for the most part, were rejected characters does not bode well, but if Sakurai can so drastically change his mind on Villager, a character he went out of his way to put up a graphic explaining why he could not work, than some of these less problematic series and characters are in better standing for a turn around. After all, Charizard was a Pokéball prior to Brawl.
Yeah, I agree for the most part, I was just saying there was a point in which Sakurai had said a negative comment about Starfy's chances. Despite what some people thought, it seems he is capable of changing his opinions on character feasibility, so yeah, now this statement is pretty much outdated, but it was said at one point, which is all I was trying to say.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think we probably could see one or two more. Obviously he is going to come back to each series since they all have had new titles -- whether that translates to anything more than stages and trophies will have to be seen. Regardless, at the very least, I think each series will have a stage, even if only on their respective console.

@N3ON: I get you, just adding to discussion. :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just in my personal opinion, the likelihood of Assist Trophy characters would be something like

Little Mac>>>Isaac>>Starfy>>Saki=Goroh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ray=Lyn=Waluigi>>the rest.

Just my opinion, of course.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think any F-Zero character has any kind of chance.
That's kind of presumptuous. Granted, Goroh may not stand the best of chances, but I feel Shortie's right on with his placement for Goroh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except F-Zero's far from a retro franchise...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think F-Zero can be considered "retro" either.

The thing's got like....4-5 games and a whole sort-of-recent anime adaptation. Not to mention a section of its own in Nintendoland.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Did you see Wii Fit Trainer being in this game?

Anything is possible with Smash Bros. Mashiro "Curveball" Sakurai always keeps us on our toes.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Except F-Zero's far from a retro franchise...
Might as well be at this point, as long as Miyamoto has a say we probably won't see a new sequel for a long time. Especially if we are talking about the Wii U.

I do agree with TC that Goroh's goose is probably cooked now.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree, that's why I put him ahead of Goroh or Saki. That said, even if Sakurai's opinion of his fighting potential has changed, I don't think it necessarily means he has a great chance or whatever, it's not like his series is anywhere near Villager's. But the international release definitely helped, though the current drought of Starfy's games probably hasn't. Tbh I'd still be surprised if he made the roster, but not nearly as surprised as I would've been had Villager not been unveiled.
Well look at what Goroh and Saki do in Brawl. Starfy seems to weakly twirl about, while Goroh and Saki (as well as Mac, Lyn, and Waluigi) all actually go around fighting. So, I mean... unlike Starfy, they may have been considered fighting material

I do agree with TC that Goroh's goose is probably cooked now.
About as cooked as Dixie in 2005?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well look at what Goroh and Saki do in Brawl. Starfy seems to weakly twirl about, while Goroh and Saki (as well as Mac, Lyn, and Waluigi) all actually go around fighting. So, I mean... unlike Starfy, they may have been considered fighting material

About as cooked as Dixie in 2005?
Sakurai hints pretty strongly Starfy was intended to be a joke Assist Trophy from the start. I don't think his twirling is indicative that he cannot do anything.

Actually worse than Dixie for a myriad of reasons.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
For starters, Dixie Kong had a certain monkey by the name of Diddy Kong in front of her.
Who was going to be added at the same time as her. Besides, wouldn't that mean Goroh is in a better position than Dixie? Seeing as his next competition is Black Shadow, who's on par with him at best.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think Dixie is competing with Diddy. She's competing against other DK characters for the third DK spot.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
On a new note, would Villager be considered a joke character (since Lord Sakurai stated he was unable to fight) and if so, does this mean we could expect... NINTENDOG?

I voted, so I have reason to respond... right?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Who knows. Although I figure Nintendogs the stage de-confirmed Nintendogs

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Well, unless it's a different dog than a Golden Retriever.

"Chihuahua chews on your ankles!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom