• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm personally a fan of the chin spike. Looks like an evil lil' goatee.

Dunno if I posted it before, but my classic dragon Ridley had a spike beard.
halloween.jpg

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Leaked footage of Ridley in Smash Switch.

urge to infract for off topic aside, I actually wouldn't mind that color scheme

/s

I can't not picture Ridley/Aerodactyl firing chin spikes like Kraid fires bellybutton(s) spikes now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Imagine if Pokemon evolved the same way as Ridley, instead of glowing, they just burst out of their skin

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Only once in the anime. In the fourth movie, they evolve just like any other Pokemon .
there should be a pokemon that explodes into its next stage, just this giant BOOM and a huge ball of nuclear hellfire and then suddenly it looks different.

ok ok this is a ridley thread, gotta be on topic, uhhh... if he's in Prime 4 with a new design, what are the odds that they would've gotten to use that design for his appearance in smash?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Depends on how long Prime 4 was in development. If it was about the same as Smash or longer, maybe (asumming the Prime 4 design isn't a drastic departure from his usual design).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Samus is the key to answering this question.

If she ends up with a design we've never seen before, then we can assume that she and Ridley are probably being modeled after their Prime 4 incarnations. If she ends up with an Other M or Samus Returns design, then I highly doubt Ridley would be anything different. Makes very little sense for Sakurai to include a Prime 4 Ridley with a Samus Returns Samus.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I just realized I NEVER posted here. I am very bad at Metroid games but I still like them a lot. Always thought that Ridely being big could be his "character gimmick", not the weakness that keeps him out of the roster.

Support.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been looking at that multiple insider rumor hinting Ridley. Thinking about my research with implementing fighters like Sora and Heihachi in the game, given that Sakurai would wanna challenge himself further with implementing fighters in Smash, maybe we could see Ridley being thought about once more. I can see a window of opportunity, but IDK. The chances feel slim. It is very hard to imagine a specific scenario when Sakurai brought down Ridley twice. But, I am a wee bit open to the possibility now.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have been looking at that multiple insider rumor hinting Ridley. Thinking about my research with implementing fighters like Sora and Heihachi in the game, given that Sakurai would wanna challenge himself further with implementing fighters in Smash, maybe we could see Ridley being thought about once more. I can see a window of opportunity, but IDK. The chances feel slim. It is very hard to imagine a specific scenario when Sakurai brought down Ridley twice. But, I am a wee bit open to the possibility now.
Despite his many drawbacks, there's three things Ridley will almost always have going for him.

(1) He's popular in both his franchise and among Smash fans.
(2) He's present in almost every Metroid game (If Metroid is relevant, Ridley is relevant).
(3) He has virtually no competition fighting him to be the next Metroid rep, and anyone who could work is pale in comparison to him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think that's the stance most of us are taking after the rumors aswell, it gives us just that bit of hope to cling onto. He's still considered unlikely by most, but at least it's better than impossible.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Kind of off topic here, but after seeing a trailer for Dragon Ball FighterZ recent DLC character Fused Zamasu, that got me thinking: would omni-directional flight like what he had work for Ridley in Smash? Or would that be too OP?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I have yet to post here for some reason but Ridley ****ing DESERVES, Can sakurai please just give into the fans already and just do it smh

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Kind of off topic here, but after seeing a trailer for Dragon Ball FighterZ recent DLC character Fused Zamasu, that got me thinking: would omni-directional flight like what he had work for Ridley in Smash? Or would that be too OP?
It would need something to trade off with it and keep it balanced.

Say, for instance, he had no double jump, and when he jumped in the air it activated omni-directional flight, but only for a certain time before he had to land again. It would be very useful in a lot of situations, but not having the second jump would also be painful to be without (I'm picturing flying up as slower than a jump for instance). Great for spacing, terrible for chasing someone up, easier for opponents to edge guard low against, flexible to recover high with.

I kind of want this now, though I imagine it'd be hard to balance, both to not be too good or flip over to being useless. Though some of that could be tuned by whatever his up b was and how useful or not it was.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It would need something to trade off with it and keep it balanced.

Say, for instance, he had no double jump, and when he jumped in the air it activated omni-directional flight, but only for a certain time before he had to land again. It would be very useful in a lot of situations, but not having the second jump would also be painful to be without (I'm picturing flying up as slower than a jump for instance). Great for spacing, terrible for chasing someone up, easier for opponents to edge guard low against, flexible to recover high with.

I kind of want this now, though I imagine it'd be hard to balance, both to not be too good or flip over to being useless. Though some of that could be tuned by whatever his up b was and how useful or not it was.
I like what you're thinking, man! This totally makes sense for him!

Zeox

Smash Champion
We should be realist, Ridley doesn't have any chance, so instead we should start supporting King K. Rool, specifically in his "Kaptain K. Rool" costume.
And specifically looking like this:

D

Deleted member

We should be realist, Ridley doesn't have any chance, so instead we should start supporting King K. Rool, specifically in his "Kaptain K. Rool" costume.
And specifically looking like this:
Space Pirates never falter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's more or less how I'm designing my Ridley, and why I haven't taken criticisms that he looks too small when grounded to heart.
In order for it to not be TOTALLY broken, I gave Ridley two limitations; One, that he must have ground beneath him at all times, and two, that he can't be too high up. For instance, Battlefield;
upload_2018-4-26_19-18-9.png
The green areas represent spots where Ridley can fly indefinitely, otherwise he falls just like any other fighter.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That's more or less how I'm designing my Ridley, and why I haven't taken criticisms that he looks too small when grounded to heart.
In order for it to not be TOTALLY broken, I gave Ridley two limitations; One, that he must have ground beneath him at all times, and two, that he can't be too high up. For instance, Battlefield;
The green areas represent spots where Ridley can fly indefinitely, otherwise he falls just like any other fighter.
That looks nice! Just as nice as Crow’s idea! Now I’m torn between the two!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What if Pit's Brawl Up B was re-implemented on Ridley? It literally let Pit fly in any direction unrestricted for a short while.

I also remember someone coming up with a gimmick that gave him a "Flight Gauge", that decreased the longer he stays in flight mode. Perhaps something like that snake lady from RoA has.

So... crazy thought! When using up B, Ridley makes a short dash upwards and enters Flight Mode. Ridley can activate his Flight Mode as long as his flight gauge isn't depleted, which lets him fly around like Pit in Brawl. Upon activating the move, a bit of the gauge drops instantly, and while he's on Flight Mode, it slowly decreases, lasting for about 5 seconds total, and once it depletes, Ridley is kicked out of it. The gauge only recovers while he's on the ground, and if he's depleted the gauge, he has to wait until it fully recovers to fly again. It takes around 10 seconds for the gauge to fill up from depleted to full. Should he use Up B after depleting his flight mode and before it fully recovers, he'll still make a short dash upwards, but it then renders him helpless.

At any point during flight mode, if Ridley performs any attack, or is hit, the move is cancelled. However, if it's still not depleted, he can activate his flight mode again once he's able to input another move. This sort of lets him extend his air time and give him a lot of aerial control, but is still limited as he has to take away a small chunk of his flight time with each activation, so as to avoid being too spammable.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's an interesting concept if nothing else.

I think to further balance it, maybe make air dodging make him drop as well. It would both promote against running (or flying in this case) away/camping and give a big disadvantage against anyone with lingering multi hit attacks.

Plus it would be neat if they incorporated it along with fast falling so that Ridley would be able to manually cancel out of flight for conversions/extending combos.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yo in the Smash Switch bracket thread Ridley is in his third round against Andy from Advance Wars. Rally to the Cunning God of Death peoples.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
He has virtually no competition fighting him to be the next Metroid rep, and anyone who could work is pale in comparison to him.
Indeed, I think even Sakurai knows that it has to be Ridley or nobody. It would be unacceptable to have anyone else.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Indeed, I think even Sakurai knows that it has to be Ridley or nobody. It would be unacceptable to have anyone else.
I mean not that there are many characters in the running and in the likely category save for maaaaaybe Sylux, and that's assuming he's wholly unique from Samus in abilities and potential, but I wouldn't mind some other Metroid characters provided they came with or after Ridley.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Dark Samus could be pretty awesome, as long as they didn't make her a clone. and it's been a while since I played Prime 3 but i remember liking Rundas, wouldn't say no to him. i never played Hunters so i'm totally unfamiliar with Sylux, but there must be a reason so many people think he should get in so I'd give him a chance.

but nobody comes before Ridley. anybody else getting in before him would almost be insulting.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Would love Ridley. Not much more to be said that hasn't already been said for ages, but I feel like Ridley would be great in his classic purple NES form. Overlaps with Charizard should mean nothing. His increases in size also shouldn't mean anything if it's a non-issue with other characters. But I'm also not deadset on Ridley and would actually prefer a few other Metroid characters over him. But he's still a Metroid character and he would rock so hard.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hey, never visited here!

Let's get this savage in Smash. Too much fun potential!

Top Bottom