• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It has been a while since I have read this phrase, and I still can't remember from where or when it originated...
It was the last line in my lengthy post at the end of the Smash 4 Ridley thread. Before we briefly reopened it once the ballot got announced.

I didn't expect it to stick, but here we are years later. It more or less was my way of saying "We shouldn't give up even when the odds look bleak. We keep coming back just like Ridley/the Pirates themselves." Which I still stand by today.

Though I was admittedly a lot sappier/edgier back then.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
hmm, the two characters i want most (krystal and the big guy) are the ones whose threads have the most views. should i take this as a good sign?
Eh.

They both have really dedicated fanbases. Krystal fans tend to put her first and foremost, a lot of them don't support anyone else at all. In reality, she is not nearly as popular as a her views or replies would have you believe.

Ridley is more popular than Krystal, but his fanbase is still super dedicated, and gets a lot of posts and views by people that come back often. I wouldn't take thread views as any indication tbh.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Eh.

They both have really dedicated fanbases. Krystal fans tend to put her first and foremost, a lot of them don't support anyone else at all. In reality, she is not nearly as popular as a her views or replies would have you believe.

Ridley is more popular than Krystal, but his fanbase is still super dedicated, and gets a lot of posts and views by people that come back often. I wouldn't take thread views as any indication tbh.
it's to big of a jump to assume thread views = popularity

also why does anybody like dark samus, it just samus painted black.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
it's to big of a jump to assume thread views = popularity

also why does anybody like dark samus, it just samus painted black.
Dark Samus is Metroid Prime that absorbed Samus' Phazon Suit in Metroid Prime, that's why it looks like Samus. It's meant to be a doppelgänger, but it is still its own character. It has a cool design, and was the "main villain" of the Prime Trilogy. Dark Samus should be the next character picked after Ridley has been picked.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not saying Dark Samus wouldn't be extremely unique (because she definitely would), but...
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Dark Samus
I'm not even joking when I say that the name alone might dissuade Sakurai from adding Dark Samus. Even if you sandwich Ridley in there, it still sounds ridiculous for 3/4 of the Metroid characters to have the same name.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not saying Dark Samus wouldn't be extremely unique (because she definitely would), but...
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Dark Samus
I'm not even joking when I say that the name alone might dissuade Sakurai from adding Dark Samus. Even if you sandwich Ridley in there, it still sounds ridiculous for 3/4 of the Metroid characters to have the same name.
I think Dark Samus and other Metroid candidates suffer from a lack of personality too, which is something Sakurai has said is very important when he chooses newcomers. Dark Samus, along with the Hunters from Prime Hunters, don't really have a personality, and I don't mean that as what kind of person they might be as that's not what's important, but more so in how they move/attack/interact/what their motivation is/etc, from that point of view they're just not all that interesting, they're just cold killers and nothing more. Sylux has a chance to rectify this in Prime 4, but I feel like this is one of the big reasons Dark Samus has seemingly never been seriously considered for Smash.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Dark Samus and other Metroid candidates suffer from a lack of personality too, which is something Sakurai has said is very important when he chooses newcomers. Dark Samus, along with the Hunters from Prime Hunters, don't really have a personality, and I don't mean that as what kind of person they might be as that's not what's important, but more so in how they move/attack/interact/what their motivation is/etc, from that point of view they're just not all that interesting, they're just cold killers and nothing more. Sylux has a chance to rectify this in Prime 4, but I feel like this is one of the big reasons Dark Samus has seemingly never been seriously considered for Smash.
Even if we had more interesting characters to choose from in the Metroid series, there's also the matter of Ridley.

Depending on Sylux's involvement in Prime 4, he could have a decent shot of being considered for a Smash game. The moveset potential is there, and there's certainly a chance that we could see some notable character development in him besides the typical "serious killer with a job to do". However, even with all the obvious potential for a new character, I'm still worried that Sakurai would shove him aside because he'd be too afraid of adding anyone else besides Ridley. Fans have been so vocal that Sakurai might feel like any other character would come across as rude or insulting.

Ridley's inclusion or absence in Smash could very well determine how the Metroid series will be handled in the future. In a way, the Ridley issue has evolved from us not getting a specific Metroid character in Smash to us not getting ANY Metroid character in Smash. We could very well have to wait for Ridley to get in before Sakurai seriously starts considering other Metroid characters.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even if we had more interesting characters to choose from in the Metroid series, there's also the matter of Ridley.

Depending on Sylux's involvement in Prime 4, he could have a decent shot of being considered for a Smash game. The moveset potential is there, and there's certainly a chance that we could see some notable character development in him besides the typical "serious killer with a job to do". However, even with all the obvious potential for a new character, I'm still worried that Sakurai would shove him aside because he'd be too afraid of adding anyone else besides Ridley. Fans have been so vocal that Sakurai might feel like any other character would come across as rude or insulting.

Ridley's inclusion or absence in Smash could very well determine how the Metroid series will be handled in the future. In a way, the Ridley issue has evolved from us not getting a specific Metroid character in Smash to us not getting ANY Metroid character in Smash. We could very well have to wait for Ridley to get in before Sakurai seriously starts considering other Metroid characters.
I think that's probably also the case, and for now I'm actually happy enough with it as there aren't really any Metroid characters that merit inclusion other than Ridley anyways. But like you I expect that to change with Sylux when Prime 4 is out, it's not an issue at the moment, but I presume that it'll be a fairly regular discussion when we get to DLC discussions (unless Ridley miraculously is in the base game).

I'll admit that no matter what I'd probably be a bit disappointed to see any other Metroid character than Ridley, so I can understand that it is a bit of a touchy situation, as long as he isn't in it can never become a win-win situation for Sakurai.

IronTed

Smash Ace
The issue with Sylux is that it's all hypothetical. First of all, you have to assume FF megaton bombing hasn't dissuaded Tanabe from going full on with the GF stuff, or at least make him tone it down a smidge.

Then you have to assume Sylux won't be Dark Samus 2.0. Basically, he could be that secondary guy you fight every few hours, and is all mysterious, but not primary to the plot. Granted, he could be like Dark Samus in Prime 3, but then he would be limited to a late game boss and would have no real context to his actions and motivations. It's very possible Sylux will be built up over a few games, with a comparatively limited role in 4, in which case he wouldn't be a strong contender for anything of note.

Cosmic77 Cosmic77 is right, we're practically at the point where we can say, with full confidence, that it's Ridley or bust at this point. Granted, I believe we could get someone else before Ridley, but only as a clone, to basically act as a token gesture. Not that I'd want that.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Greetings fellow Space Pirates!

I come with a broadcast by Source Gaming on our lord and saviour:

It is quite interesting how Ridley's only downside really seems to be that Sakurai said once that Ridley may be too large to scale down. Now we know he has changed his mind on characters before (see PacMan and Villager) and, as the video states, Ridley is really the only sensible newcomer for Smash.

Not to jump onto the hype train just yet, but I have a real good feeling about ol' Riddles in this game so have certainly bought a ticket.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What if Ridley's alts aren't just different colors, but also different versions of Ridley? so you can select between Ridley, NES Ridley recolor, Super Metroid red Ridley recolor, Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley, proteus Ridley, Ridley's clone and Parasite X Ridley.
So, 3 Ridley recolors and 5 Ridleys with different models.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What if Ridley's alts aren't just different colors, but also different versions of Ridley? so you can select between Ridley, NES Ridley recolor, Super Metroid red Ridley recolor, Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley, proteus Ridley, Ridley's clone and Parasite X Ridley.
So, 3 Ridley recolors and 5 Ridleys with different models.
That seems rather excessive; I feel like just Ridley and Meta Ridley would be enough. (also, some of the alts, like Ridley's clone and Parasite X Ridley, would be quite different in terms of proportions)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Standard Ridley should have palette swaps based on classic mainline titles (Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Fusion)

Meta Ridley as a fully realized costume (ala Classic Wario/hoodie and Wire Frame Little Mac/Alph/AC Cloud/Bayo 1 Bayonetta, etc.) should in turn have palette swaps based on Mecha Ridley, the Prime 3 Meta Ridley + Omega Ridley, and Proteus Ridley.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Round 5 of the bracket started. Unless you'd rather see Dixie win and have the final match consist of two DK characters, head on over there and vote for Ridley.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The appeal for said Meta Ridley costume would be different colored holo-wings, armor, and such. Would probably use those more than vanilla Ridley, but out of that, would use Super Metroid palette the most.

Of course, there’s also the Miitomo color alts (black and such). Palette/alt costume variety is still one of his biggest strengths (no pun intended) compared to a lot of characters, IMO.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
riddle character comparison with the original 12 and their enemies
I know many people, including myself, have said this many times in this thread, but your minimalist vector art is incredibly beautiful.

Just wondering from the image though, would you like to see K.Rool, Dark Matter, Pig Ganon, Samurai Goro and Porky in this game? That'd certainly be a neat cast of newcomers :)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Nice work, but wouldn't Kamek make more sense for Yoshi?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Dark Samus
Upcoming Metroid newcomers:
  • Dark Samus
  • Baby Samus
  • Pink Gold Samus
  • Ridley

D

Deleted member

Meh, I'd rather just have the original 8's villains rather than "everyone except for Luigi and Jiggs since they're Mario and Pokemon characters".
:4mario:vs:4bowser:
:4dk:vs K. Rool
:4link:vs:4ganondorf:
:4samus:vs Ridley
:4yoshi:vs:4bowserjr: (since he shares a striking resemblence to Baby Bowser, who was the final boss of Yoshi's Island)
:4kirby: vs Marx (not my preferred Kirby newcomer but he's pretty good)
:4fox:vs either:wolf: or Andross w/ a body
:4pikachu:vs:4mewtwo:

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The appeal for said Meta Ridley costume would be different colored holo-wings, armor, and such.
I would deem it the only "necessary" unique model change, given Meta Ridley has already been in the game/has been differentiated from normal Ridley already (even to the point where the English Smash 50-Fact Extravaganza mistakenly referred to Other M Ridley's "enhanced" form as Meta Ridley).

Having it as a regular color scheme for normal Ridley wouldn't do it justice, but I guess it would be better than nothing.

Was playing pokemon go this morning, when all of a sudden...

https://i.imgur.com/37RH6ao.png

WHO LIVES NEAR ME

I was playing Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 about 5 minutes ago, and sure enough

DcKeNMQVAAgZ-Yf.jpeg

Even Space Pirates need hobbies/part time jobs, I guess.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I know many people, including myself, have said this many times in this thread, but your minimalist vector art is incredibly beautiful.

Just wondering from the image though, would you like to see K.Rool, Dark Matter, Pig Ganon, Samurai Goro and Porky in this game? That'd certainly be a neat cast of newcomers :)
Yeah, definitely.

My top 3 most-consistently-wanted are Riddles, Piggy Dorf, and Corpulent Crocodile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom