• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I would contend that Crash's inclusion isn't contingent upon a remaster that was a timed exclusive on another platform. But even though Crash is unlikely, Ridley is too (at least concerning precedent).
I would, crash wasn't relevant for years until the remaster came out in 2017, and his popularity within the smash community wasn't anything major until that year anyway

IronTed

Smash Ace
I would, crash wasn't relevant for years until the remaster came out in 2017, and his popularity within the smash community wasn't anything major until that year anyway
That isn't my point. Appearing on a Nintendo platform doesn't guarantee anything. Crash has already been on Nintendo systems, so it's not like the Crash remaster gave everyone a light bulb moment. Nostalgia was and still is his biggest selling point.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That isn't my point. Appearing on a Nintendo platform doesn't guarantee anything. Crash has already been on Nintendo systems, so it's not like the Crash remaster gave everyone a light bulb moment. Nostalgia was and still is his biggest selling point.
I never mentioned being on a nintendo platform, that's clearly not a factor, I was talking about how he didn't have any games in general for a long time

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I never mentioned being on a nintendo platform, that's clearly not a factor, I was talking about how he didn't have any games in general for a long time
Woops, I meant the argument "But the Crash Remaster is coming to Switch, that boosts his chances", not my intention to put words in your mouth. But I'll drop it.

This is pretty off topic though, so uh, something something Ridley something something.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've probably said this multiple times before, but despite popular opinion, I don't think Sakurai dislikes Ridley.

Back in Smash 4, Sakurai probably couldn't think of a reasonable way to add Ridley as a character. The next best thing to being playable in his eyes must have been a stage devoted entirely to a boss fight with Ridley. Imagine how terrible it must have been for him when he went through all that trouble to make something special, and all he got in response was, "OMG, Sakurai!! Why the **** did you give us a stupid boss character when we asked for a playable character!?"

The way Ridley was kept hidden for so long was misleading and a little unprofessional, but none of us can say Sakurai didn't at least try to give Ridley the attention he deserved. It's still way more than what most of the other popular characters in Smash 4 got.
Anyone who thinks that Sakurai legitimately dislikes Ridley is completely wrong, in reality it's Sakurai's respect for the character that is keeping him out of the game atm. The main issue is that we as a fanbase disagree with Sakurai about what's important about Ridley's characterization, we don't think his size is a core part of who Ridley is while he does, it's really as simple as that. I genuinely believe that if Sakurai could find a way to include him in a way that also satisfies himself then he'd love nothing more than to do that, he's just not cracked the code yet.

I'm sure they're more than well aware that Ridley would be a special reveal, his infamy in the Smash community is very well known throughout every reach of the Nintendo fanbase, it's not for nothing that the old thread reached a smashing 3 million views. I have a dream of Ridley being revealed at the end of the Invitational so we'd get crowd reactions with it, but I'm not sure they'd consider him that special, but it'd be fitting.
So, on the topic of Sakurai hating Ridley or not, I want you guys to remember something. Sakurai is extremely professional when it comes to his own personal bias about character choices in this game. Almost too professional. Lets remember that he didn't include King Dedede in melee because he didn't want to seem biased in including his own characters in the game over others. Lets not forget Metroid's abysmal track record after Prime 3 (not including games that came out after smash 4, obviously).

However, this means idk if Ridley will really have much of a chance this time around either. What have we had come out between smash 4 and now? Federation force, a flop that didn't even include Ridley. Samus returns, a remake (that at least had Ridley in it). And an announcement of Prime 4. So does Sakurai hate Ridley? Imo, it doesn't matter, I don't think it will effect his decision. I think the lack of content for the Metroid franchise as a whole will.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
However, this means idk if Ridley will really have much of a chance this time around either. What have we had come out between smash 4 and now? Federation force, a flop that didn't even include Ridley. Samus returns, a remake (that at least had Ridley in it). And an announcement of Prime 4. So does Sakurai hate Ridley? Imo, it doesn't matter, I don't think it will effect his decision. I think the lack of content for the Metroid franchise as a whole will.
Even when you look at it that way, Metroid is still in a better position than what it was back in Smash 4.

What was the last impression Metroid left before Sakurai chose Smash 4 newcomers? Other M. What new Metroid games were released/being developed while Sakurai was making Smash 4? Nothing. The ONLY recent Metroid game Sakurai had to go off of during Smash 4 was Other M, and needless to say, representing that game may have not felt like a priority.

Now compare that to this game. The last Metroid game released before Sakurai officially began work on Smash Switch was Federation Force. From that perspective, Ridley's chances are far worse than what they were back then, no question. However, take a look at games being released/developed during Smash Switch. Samus Returns started development in early 2015 - about a year and a half before the time we speculate Sakurai started work on this Smash game. Metroid Prime 4 was revealed to be in development at E3 2017, which is roughly a year and three months before the earliest 2018 release for Smash Switch.

Odds are still against us, but Metroid is definitely doing better in terms of relevancy and popularity. Samus Returns got favorable reviews, and Prime 4 was one one the biggest (and loudest) reveals at E3. Timing could be better, but at least the incentive for Sakurai to consider Ridley is stronger than what it was back in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Even when you look at it that way, Metroid is still in a better position than what it was back in Smash 4.

What was last impression Metroid left before Sakurai chose Smash 4 newcomers? Other M. What new Metroid games were released/being developed while Sakurai was making Smash 4? Nothing. The ONLY recent Metroid game Sakurai had to go off of during Smash 4 was Other M, and needless to say, representing that game may have not felt like a priority.

Now compare that to this game. The last Metroid game released before Sakurai officially began work on Smash Switch was Federation Force. From that perspective, Ridley's chances are far worse than what they were back then, no question. However, take a look at games being released/developed during Smash Switch. Samus Returns started development in early 2015 - about a year and a half before the time we speculate Sakurai started work on this Smash game. Metroid Prime 4 was revealed to be in development at E3 2017, which is roughly a year and three months before the earliest 2018 release for Smash Switch.

Odds are still against us, but Metroid is definitely doing better in terms of relevancy and popularity. Samus Returns got favorable reviews, and Prime 4 was one one the biggest (and loudest) reveals at E3. Timing could be better, but at least the incentive for Sakurai to consider Ridley is stronger than what it was back in Smash 4.
I agree we're in a better position than before. I feel like the two avenues we have to hope for are Ridley being a big part of Prime 4, and therefore included in Smash 5 somewhat promotionally, or as DLC when Prime 4 gets closer to the spotlight. I feel like we're not in quite as good a spot as pre-brawl though, where Prime 3 was coming out and Prime two was semi-recent.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's really interesting to see people interpret Ridley's popularity and ability to promote the game having opposite possibilities at E3. Some of you are saying it means E3 or bust, and some are saying more like between E3 and release to continue to push hype. It's really interesting, I definitely find my self in the E3 or bust camp.

One thing I want to throw out as a discussion is that I do see the idea of "stringing along" a character for hype, however we have never seen this done for a smash game. Sonic was probably revealed asap, we do know that he was one of the latest additions and would probably have been show that earlier E3 if possible. As for Smash 4...there were no major characters revealed between E3 and release date. This concept seems to be purely made up from the speculation community, something to give characters like Ridley and King K. Rool a chance if they aren't revealed this E3.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm sure Sakurai knew of Metroid's impending revival, Samus Returns was likely pretty far in development when he finalized the roster, and judging from some of the interviews that Reggie put out there the revival has been planned for a very long time. I don't feel like Ridley desperately needs a recent game to get in either, he's been a constant in his series since its inception in 1986, and it's not like Metroid was ever perceived as actually being a dead series like F-Zero or Mother, it was just a question of when it'd return. If he can be used for promotional means then that's a bonus (which he can, he'd help Metroid's revival immensily), but his inclusion will never depend on that, with how much support he's had and how iconic a Nintendo character he is it'll always make sense to include him, he can't be compared with most other first party candidates because his history dwarfs theirs, something we know Sakurai puts a lot of emphasis on.

As far as I see it Ridley only has one major issue to overcome, and that's the same as it's always been, if Sakurai found the solution to that then I don't think anything else would get in Ridley's way. Sakurai's willingness to go out of his way to actually do that is the primary concern I have and why I don't believe it'll happen, something very drastic would have had to happen in between Smash 4's release and now for him to actually go against his previous design principles, and I don't think any sort of sales would have moved him.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If you haven't already, vote for Ridley in the finals of the Newcomer Bracket.

To my surprise, Ridley is currently beating K. Rool. Granted it's only by one or two votes, but part of me feared it would be a total blowout. Ridley supporters haven't been as vocal as they used to be.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I voted for my second favorite purple dragon. Don't worry.

TBF tho Rids is my third favorite dragon in all of gaming after Spyro and Deathwing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've never cared much for those bracket popularity contest/voting type of threads, to be honest. I understand the appeal of them for some, but just not my thing. Glad to hear Ridley got as far as he did there at least, but I'd feel kinda bad to vote against K. Rool. The result of that current bracket should be interesting regardless I suppose...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The participation is actually a lot smaller than I thought. I threw my vote because Ridley, but I'm a big K. Rool fan as well.

D

Deleted member

It was a hard choice, so I flipped a coin... and got K. Rool.
Sorry guys.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm sure Sakurai knew of Metroid's impending revival, Samus Returns was likely pretty far in development when he finalized the roster, and judging from some of the interviews that Reggie put out there the revival has been planned for a very long time. I don't feel like Ridley desperately needs a recent game to get in either, he's been a constant in his series since its inception in 1986, and it's not like Metroid was ever perceived as actually being a dead series like F-Zero or Mother, it was just a question of when it'd return. If he can be used for promotional means then that's a bonus (which he can, he'd help Metroid's revival immensily), but his inclusion will never depend on that, with how much support he's had and how iconic a Nintendo character he is it'll always make sense to include him, he can't be compared with most other first party candidates because his history dwarfs theirs, something we know Sakurai puts a lot of emphasis on.

As far as I see it Ridley only has one major issue to overcome, and that's the same as it's always been, if Sakurai found the solution to that then I don't think anything else would get in Ridley's way. Sakurai's willingness to go out of his way to actually do that is the primary concern I have and why I don't believe it'll happen, something very drastic would have had to happen in between Smash 4's release and now for him to actually go against his previous design principles, and I don't think any sort of sales would have moved him.
Huh. Can we please stop with referring to Mother as a dead series? What's dead about it? The series ultimately ended. Its a trilogy.

On to the topic, as what everyone's been saying. It doesn't matter if Sakurai likes or dislikes Ridley. Ridley's popularity doesn't matter anymore. He's an established epitome of speculation and Sakurai may yet want it to end, finally giving in and giving the fans what they want.

This is what it will come down to for Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Huh. Can we please stop with referring to Mother as a dead series? What's dead about it? The series ultimately ended. Its a trilogy.

On to the topic, as what everyone's been saying. It doesn't matter if Sakurai likes or dislikes Ridley. Ridley's popularity doesn't matter anymore. He's an established epitome of speculation and Sakurai may yet want it to end, finally giving in and giving the fans what they want.

This is what it will come down to for Ridley.
I mean, Mother is dead in that it won't get anymore games, might just be me by I feel like it works in that respect aswell. That we split hairs over the definition of the word doesn't really change my point anyways.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Never did I think I would see the day...
You guys are actually at it again, and this time, we haven't even seen a silhouette of him!

For anyone who's forgotten, I'm that dude who came to the now-archived Ridley thread relatively late in its life cycle after being converted by a combination of RelaxAlax's now-highly-outdated speculation video, and that motivational speculation speech made by aldelaro5. I also left a Metal Gear reference video in your secret paradise before leaving it.

Both before and after I had met you guys, I was always humbled by a new character reveal, and that always made me rethink about where the red tape lies in this franchise -- if there even is any... Well, except Sakurai hates Ridley, hurr-durr.
Anyway, I think I came to you guys during what was perhaps the bloodiest generation of Smash for Ridley. We were banking it all on what ended up being just a fluke and poor handling of reveals in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, things will finally be different. I like to call those times "The Great Ridley Wars."

We were all but children in those days, yet we fought like true space pirates in the biggest flame war Smash had ever seen. I still get Vietnam flashbacks of those days, and I consider myself now an old geezer veteran. I like to think that war made us all more mature, and now seeing this new, more mature, thread, I feel we can move towards the future like true, distinguished adults.

Leaving you guys made me think that I had faltered... Guess I just have a more controversial opinion from you guys.

......What I'm getting at is I'm back when I said that I would never come back. I don't expect warm welcomes seeing I was hardly active.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Finally back to this site, and, like last time, throwing in for Ridley. We need our homicidal human eating purple space dragon!

Edit : Gotta update that Ridley in my Signature to the SSB5 version X)

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
upload_2018-5-6_3-39-27.png

More drawing practice.I REALLY need my drawing tablet.
Funnily enough, I think my Ganon is even bigger than Ridley.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Ehh, make Ridley bigger in that thing. He should be taller than Samus even when hunched over.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Leaving you guys made me think that I had faltered... Guess I just have a more controversial opinion from you guys.

......What I'm getting at is I'm back when I said that I would never come back. I don't expect warm welcomes seeing I was hardly active.
I think you'll find nobody actually cares too much. Everyone comes and leaves at their own prerogative. Everyone likes interesting discussion. So if you have something to say, regardless of what your opinions were in the past, we're all ears.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Hey! Guess what? I played Metroid for the first time EVER!!! I recently got Metroid: Samus Returns and the game is freaking awesome!! And add me to the supporters! Also, just a quick question. Is Ridley in Samus Returns? I don't want spoilers, I just want a yes or no.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
so what do you all think of the lazzyman leak?
There's not too much in relation to Ridley, the original 4chan version of the leak says that there's a Ridley tease at the end of the Prime 4 trailer, but that probably has nothing to do with Smash, although I'm sure it'd make this thread go crazy anyways.

As always I'm skeptical of it, especially because of how overly detailed it is, and the online details date prediction might just be a lucky guess, but I do hope that it's true. Also, as hype as I would be for Spyro a part of me would be a bit butthurt about getting a purple dragon and it not being Ridley :upsidedown:.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
so what do you all think of the lazzyman leak?
There's not too much in relation to Ridley, the original 4chan version of the leak says that there's a Ridley tease at the end of the Prime 4 trailer, but that probably has nothing to do with Smash, although I'm sure it'd make this thread go crazy anyways.

As always I'm skeptical of it, especially because of how overly detailed it is, and the online details date prediction might just be a lucky guess, but I do hope that it's true. Also, as hype as I would be for Spyro a part of me would be a bit butthurt about getting a purple dragon and it not being Ridley :upsidedown:.
Journalists likely knew some things about the online services weeks before the announcement, meaning that this could easily be a fake leak with a little bit of truth sprinkled in to grab our attention. Don't invest too much faith in it just because it got one thing right. It still has a lot more to prove.

There are quite a few things I'm unsure of in this leak (playable Wario and Waluigi in Odyssey?), but the biggest red flag to me is Pokemon being unveiled in Nintendo's main presentation. As far as I can remember, Pokemon games have always been revealed separately from Nintendo's presentations. Heck, Sun and Moon got an official trailer one week before E3 started.

Things have been different with Nintendo lately, so I guess it's still possible that the first bit of info on Pokemon actually will be in the main presentation. After all, the first hint we got of Pokemon Switch was in last year's E3 presentation. Regardless, I'm staying skeptical of this leak.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Journalists likely knew some things about the online services weeks before the announcement, meaning that this could easily be a fake leak with a little bit of truth sprinkled in to grab our attention. Don't invest too much faith in it just because it got one thing right. It still has a lot more to prove.

There are quite a few things I'm unsure of in this leak (playable Wario and Waluigi in Odyssey?), but the biggest red flag to me is Pokemon being unveiled in Nintendo's main presentation. As far as I can remember, Pokemon games have always been revealed separately from Nintendo's presentations. Heck, Sun and Moon got an official trailer one week before E3 started.

Things have been different with Nintendo lately, so I guess it's still possible that the first bit of info on Pokemon actually will be in the main presentation. After all, the first hint we got of Pokemon Switch was in last year's E3 presentation. Regardless, I'm staying skeptical of this leak.
Yeah, no text leak should be believed on the spot, it's just something that's worth remembering at the back of your mind going into E3.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Edit: Nevermind, I can't read. It was the online thing. Well, it will certainly be an interesting to look back on. At least Ridley could be in Prime 4 I guess.

Last edited:

Granite Countertop

Smash Rookie
I'm all for it. I tried a Ridley mod in PM over the weekend, and am now convinced that Ridley should be a fighter. And this is coming from someone who hasn't played much Metroid.

If this were to happen, I would expect him to be one of the very first newcomers announced.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591

lazzyman was confirmed fake but apparently he was not the source he was just piggybacking off another.

I am surprised your for this because if true it pretty much means no ridley at e3 and that the time they would release him

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
lazzyman was confirmed fake but apparently he was not the source he was just piggybacking off another.

I am surprised your for this because if true it pretty much means no ridley at e3 and that the time they would release him
Not to give anyone false hope or anything, but so long as Prime 4 exists, Ridley will still have a good chance of being considered. Even if he's not revealed at E3 and misses out on the base game, he's still a heavy contender for promotional DLC.

Actually, come to think of it, if I were an employee working at Nintendo, I'd actually suggest that Sakurai hold off on Ridley until DLC. Not only would Ridley DLC be great for promoting Prime 4, but I imagine it'd also sell like crazy. It's sleazy, but I can't deny it wouldn't work.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Not to give anyone false hope or anything, but so long as Prime 4 exists, Ridley will still have a good chance of being considered. Even if he's not revealed at E3 and misses out on the base game, he's still a heavy contender for promotional DLC.

Actually, come to think of it, if I were an employee working at Nintendo, I'd actually suggest that Sakurai hold off on Ridley until DLC. Not only would Ridley DLC be great for promoting Prime 4, but I imagine it'd also sell like crazy. It's sleazy, but I can't deny it wouldn't work.
thinking the same thing, though hope not I want him to be revealed so i can just sit back and enjoy the ride

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Eh, I still don't have much belief that Ridley will happen, I hope he will of course, but I still consider it highly unlikely. If I can get two characters I'd like in Crash and Spyro then I'd take it, it's better than with Smash 4 where none of the newcomers really appealed to me. Again, I don't believe the leak, but I'd like it to be true.

I just don't see Ridley as DLC, if Sakurai has finally become okay with scaling Ridley down then he'll do so for the base game, and Ridley would likely be one of the highest priority newcomers at that point. If he hasn't then chances are pretty big that Ridley will just play some other part in the base game, and whatever his role might be this time it'd almost certainly make him ineligible for DLC. I can see a scenario where Ridley misses E3 but is revealed later, I don't find it likely but it could happen, but I just can't see a scenario where Ridley is DLC. Promoting another game isn't what will finally make Sakurai include Ridley, if they're that desperate to promote Prime 4 Sylux is a much easier choice to do so, and there's absolutely no way that Nintendo would make Sakurai go against his own principles either, at that point Nintendo as we know it would cease to exist. The only way I could see it happen is if Ridley has a design in Prime 4 that would work in Smash, but when Sakurai saw it it was too late to include him in the base game, so he would just scrap any other plans he might have had for him and hold onto him as future DLC.

I honestly don't think Prime 4 matters much to Ridley's chances, I said it previously in this thread: I don't think he'll ever have to depend on relevancy in the same way a lot of other potential newcomers do, and neither will relevancy be what pushes him into the game, because Ridley isn't a flavor of the generation character like most newcomers are these days, he's a proper allstar who's stuck around since 1986, and as such we can't just look at Sakurai's Smash 4 criteria, because very few of those found themselves in the same position as Ridley. When we had a lot of allstars yet to be included they were always prioritized, and then promotional and concept characters would be the sprinkles on top, not the main course, so if Sakurai got a highly requested allstar at his disposal you can bet ya he'd jump on the opportunity in an instant, because they don't grow on trees these days.

Top Bottom