• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Zeox

Smash Champion
I lived enough of these leaks to know that I am not gonna believe a single **** they told me until Nintendo officially says it.
If the leak is real then good for Vergeben, but I'm not eating it.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Lots of smoke guys. This is like the 3rd or 4th person to feed us a leak about Ridley or at the very least tease him. Don't take nothing as gospel but still hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

The last games speculation period rose to a fever pitch when it came to Ridley discussion. I really think all the forum, twitter and miiverse wars really will do Ridley the ultimate favor this time around. Personally I'm on team real. I think during the design document phase of Smash Wii/3DS Sakurai didn't realize how desired Ridley actually was. Now though there is no denying it.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
threw together a sketchy storyboard for how i think a reveal could go, if they're sticking with the "giant smash ball made of hellfire" motif for all the character videos. might polish it and make more of a comic out of it, for now i mostly wanted to get the idea out of my head and onto a canvas

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
threw together a sketchy storyboard for how i think a reveal could go, if they're sticking with the "giant smash ball made of hellfire" motif for all the character videos. might polish it and make more of a comic out of it, for now i mostly wanted to get the idea out of my head and onto a canvas

I'd love to see them go with something like this. We'd all have a feeling who they're gonna reveal, but we'd still be on the edge of our seats until we saw the giant silhouette of Ridley behind the Smash ball.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Sakurai's always have known that Ridley is popular, that's why he always get some kind of special treatment, even if never have been playing. In brawl, is the only boss to have 2 encounters, and imo both were the highlights of subspace, at least he certainly got tons of care compared to Rayquaza, or Pete piranna.
And in smash 4 he actually got teased months before the reveal, no costume, or assist trophy character have gotten teased like this, ever. Plus is the only non playable character to have a stock icon.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Plus is the only non playable character to have a stock icon.
From what I remember seeing, especially that made the "reveal" after all the especulation with the shadow even more painful as everything Roidley did plus that stock icon showed what could have been, or what was going to be but got dropped in the last minute probably as some kind of... bad joke...? I dunno.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Curious, let's say this rumor is true, and let's say one of them will be the big reveal at the end of the presentation like they did in the past with Smash 4. Who do you think the big reveal will be, Ridley or Simon?

I really think Ridley could work either way, to introduce hype for the game or to end the presentation on a shocker. I can't see a Third Party introducing the game, it just hasn't happened before. Also at this point some people even suspect Ridley so Simon might be a bigger shock. Thoughts on this hypotetical?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Once again, cruel cruel hope rears it's head.

My lord, the Ridley scene comes back from the dead almost as much as he does.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Curious, let's say this rumor is true, and let's say one of them will be the big reveal at the end of the presentation like they did in the past with Smash 4. Who do you think the big reveal will be, Ridley or Simon?

I really think Ridley could work either way, to introduce hype for the game or to end the presentation on a shocker. I can't see a Third Party introducing the game, it just hasn't happened before. Also at this point some people even suspect Ridley so Simon might be a bigger shock. Thoughts on this hypotetical?
There are a lot of things they could do, but if the leak is true I suspect Ridley would appear in or just after the main trailer, and Simon Belmont would close out the Direct, 3rd party characters are always treated as a bigger deal, and I think doing otherwise might be seen as disrespectful to the parent company.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I'd reveal 2 nintendo first party characters in the main trailer including Ridley, and have the 3rd party character come after in its own challenger approaching way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think they'd either start with Ridley if there's 2 characters shown or they'd save him for the end if the 3rd party is behind closed doors again.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
They could put a smash reveal trailer, when they start showing smash history with a reenact of pieces of smash 64 intro, to jump to smash brawl subspace moments, to a reenactment of hype inducing melee intro, and when the hype due to the melee intro nod is at is peak, something Is different and the Samus part starts to get longer, and blame, everyone caught by surprise, Ridley splash happens when it all started, followed by a proper trailer of the game (first real trailer)
This trailer shows all we wanted to know if the game, sneaks in playable ice climbers, and when it all end, blame, Simon reveal!
And during that reveal, the true bomb happens!

Nintendo announces that they bought the Castlevania up from Konami for the licence to do Zelda pachinkos, a couple of dollars, and 3 tons of grated cheese, (one can dream)

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Melee intro recreation was exactly what I was thinking of.

As for the actual gameplay, I'd actually prefer if instead of being too serious/action-packed, they went with the lighthearted nod to both the struggle Ridley's gone through to to get there (maybe show him getting a Poison Mushroom after roaring triumphantly, or being next to/immediately going after Purple Charizard ala Roy's trailer) and the fact that it's Ridley in a not Metroid universe. One gag I pictured vividly is a shot of Samus fighting Ridley and repeatedly KOing him, only for Ridley to keep coming back over and over (this would also be a perfect time to show if there's a Meta Ridley costume).

Once again, cruel cruel hope rears it's head.

My lord, the Ridley scene comes back from the dead almost as much as he does.

*if it's not showing up properly on mobile*

D

Deleted member

This made me realize something.....
If Ridley and Simon Belmont were revealed in the same time frame.....
....would that be a literal Metroidvania? :awesome:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

could go either way, i guess. if it's anything like Brawl's reveal trailer they could show off a bunch of nintendo's own newcomers, including ridley, then just when it looks like the trailer's over simon pops in and does some cool whip stuff

what's the version of simon people are expecting, by the way? i looked him up and found a few different designs.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
could go either way, i guess. if it's anything like Brawl's reveal trailer they could show off a bunch of nintendo's own newcomers, including ridley, then just when it looks like the trailer's over simon pops in and does some cool whip stuff

what's the version of simon people are expecting, by the way? i looked him up and found a few different designs.
The original blonde makes sense. Sakurai used the original MegaMan along with Cloud, and Simon is also recently marketed by Konami this way through the mobile game. Maybe he can have alts like Cloud?

Also this might be off topic for a Ridley support thread...so I'm gunna talk about what form of Ridley I expect! I love Proteus Ridley but for a number of reasons including timing I don't think that's what we'll get. Honestly I think it will be a smashified version based off his super Metroid appearance, like in Brawl. Would be cool to have a Proteus/Meta Ridley alt too!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm making my Riddles based off Proteus, but if he makes it in, I'm expecting the Samus Returns version but without the metal bits.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
They could put a smash reveal trailer, when they start showing smash history with a reenact of pieces of smash 64 intro, to jump to smash brawl subspace moments, to a reenactment of hype inducing melee intro, and when the hype due to the melee intro nod is at is peak, something Is different and the Samus part starts to get longer, and blame, everyone caught by surprise, Ridley splash happens when it all started, followed by a proper trailer of the game (first real trailer)
This trailer shows all we wanted to know if the game, sneaks in playable ice climbers, and when it all end, blame, Simon reveal!
And during that reveal, the true bomb happens!

Nintendo announces that they bought the Castlevania up from Konami for the licence to do Zelda pachinkos, a couple of dollars, and 3 tons of grated cheese, (one can dream)
And the whole internet will explode

This is absolute delightful!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I have to ask, did we have anything like these leaks for Ridley back in the SSB4 days?
The closest we had was a rumor posted on 4chan towards the end of speculation, it was an extension of the real leak except it also had Chorus Kids, Dixie, Mewtwo and Ridley on it. It got a lot of attention because it was posted before the real leak gained a lot of traction (plus the real leak was only viewable to select users on this forum at the time, so not easy for anyone to piggyback on), it seemed like a pretty big coincidence that it also nailed Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr, who were viewed as being very unlikely, but in the end it obviously turned out to be false.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I have to ask, did we have anything like these leaks for Ridley back in the SSB4 days?
I just responded to you in the general thread XD. In short, nothing credible or note worthy (I mean obviously because he wasn't in...) Most stuff that mentioned Ridley were the usual bad 4 Chan text posts and not someone who had a, even somewhat, positive track record.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The Melee intro recreation was exactly what I was thinking of.

As for the actual gameplay, I'd actually prefer if instead of being too serious/action-packed, they went with the lighthearted nod to both the struggle Ridley's gone through to to get there (maybe show him getting a Poison Mushroom after roaring triumphantly, or being next to/immediately going after Purple Charizard ala Roy's trailer) and the fact that it's Ridley in a not Metroid universe. One gag I pictured vividly is a shot of Samus fighting Ridley and repeatedly KOing him, only for Ridley to keep coming back over and over (this would also be a perfect time to show if there's a Meta Ridley costume).

*if it's not showing up properly on mobile*
I'd like to see this as an actual gif. Sums up us quite well.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
The closest we had was a rumor posted on 4chan towards the end of speculation, it was an extension of the real leak except it also had Chorus Kids, Dixie, Mewtwo and Ridley on it. It got a lot of attention because it was posted before the real leak gained a lot of traction (plus the real leak was only viewable to select users on this forum at the time, so not easy for anyone to piggyback on), it seemed like a pretty big coincidence that it also nailed Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr, who were viewed as being very unlikely, but in the end it obviously turned out to be false.
I wonder if that leak was not false but an old leak with outdated info, mewtwo was prob being worked on but moved to dlc, ridley looked like he could been playable at one time, chorus kids was relevant and prob considered but cut due to the same reason as ice climbers, and dixie could been a planned clone.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Secondhand information is always about as useful as the actual "my father is Nintendo" rumors. I had my fair share of talks with people that had sources (ones claiming to have seen firsthand that leaks like the "Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie/Chorus whatever" made it far along in development, some even supposedly showing playable builds that never came to fruition), but in the end none of it mattered/happened so it was forgotten about pretty hastily anyway.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sorry if I bumped in randomly.

So, for a while I never really found Ridley to be that interesting at first when people brought him up. He always seemed like a generic reoccuring boss.

But now that I am starting to learn more about the Metroid series itself, I have warmed up to Ridley and would like it if he can get in. Not only is Ridley a popular character he’s also, a villian, and an important character from Metroid that will perfectly represented the major characters of Metroid, Samus and Ridley.

So, I support!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I remember those close to release days, and the leak being posted on the rumour discussion. I'm fairly certain that this second leak people randomly grouped the real deal was just someone piggybacking off of the genuine article.

I admit, when the real leak was posted, I didn't believe it because of the Koopaling alts. I figured the proportions just wouldn't work.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I just responded to you in the general thread XD. In short, nothing credible or note worthy (I mean obviously because he wasn't in...) Most stuff that mentioned Ridley were the usual bad 4 Chan text posts and not someone who had a, even somewhat, positive track record.
Heh, that's actually my mistake. I meant to quote that post and put it here. XP

Sorry if I bumped in randomly.

So, for a while I never really found Ridley to be that interesting at first when people brought him up. He always seemed like a generic reoccuring boss.

But now that I am starting to learn more about the Metroid series itself, I have warmed up to Ridley and would like it if he can get in. Not only is Ridley a popular character he’s also a villain, and an important character from Metroid that will perfectly represent the major characters of Metroid, Samus and Ridley.

So, I support!
So awesome to hear! Welcome aboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that there is somehow, once again, even a shred of hope for Ridley is either the greatest tragedy, or the most wonderful comeback.

Im leaning towards one or the other, but we'll find out if im right by E3 :p
:061:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
now, for some totally unrelated trivia, Guild wars 2 Is a mmorpg released 2012. they released an expansion on 2015 that introduced some "elite specializations" that could turn your class into "upgraded class", for example your warrior could become a berserk. And classes have different trait lines trees where they can modify their traitlines.

One of the aftermentioned berserk traits was called "Smash Brawler" and had this "Icon"

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smash_Brawler

This is the only smash bros reference ive found there, ever... Ridley support is in the more curious places.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Guys. don't believe a single this leak, don't do it.
Not only because some comments in that thread says that the leaker had lots of leaks wrong in the past, but because we are Ridley supporters, we have been through this hundred of times, leaks that sounds believable but they end up being BS.
How was that tower of smash mode?
anyone had fun with the chorus kids?
This leak is just a wall of text, there is no proof, and even if there was proof, it could also be just photoshop images or a well elaborated video like that one of Rayman in smash4.
Is better to not believe anything and get surprised, than believe it, get your hopes high and then get crushed once more.

I don't say it to be a party pooper, I say it because this is not the first time this happens and I don't want anyone to live what happen in smash 4 one more time.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Smash 4 was a nightmare for a DK and Metroid fan. This time around I'm not going to be as upset if things don't go the way we want them. In fact I'm more than likely expecting characters I don't care about to get in the game.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Smash 4 was a nightmare for a DK and Metroid fan. This time around I'm not going to be as upset if things don't go the way we want them. In fact I'm more than likely expecting characters I don't care about to get in the game.
and Kirby fans, and Earthbound/Mother fans, and Starfox fans, and F-Zero fans... from the original 64 franchises, the only ones that wasn't a nightmare was for Mario and Pokemon fans.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
and Kirby fans, and Earthbound/Mother fans, and Starfox fans, and F-Zero fans... from the original 64 franchises, the only ones that wasn't a nightmare was for Mario and Pokemon fans.
Actually, I thought EarthBound got a decent amount of love in Smash 4. It got Magicant, a stage that was basically fanservice and callbacks to old games, three new remixes, a new Assist Trophy, and the return of Lucas through DLC.

But I digress. This is the support thread for Ridley, not the EarthBound thread.

I understand that you're trying to be careful, but that doesn't mean you have to automatically disregard every rumor surrounding Ridley. You can still have a little fun with these "leaks". Treat the rumors like they're fake, but keep them in mind and line them up with what other people are saying. If Ridley gets revealed, it'll make sense. If not, oh well. You weren't buying into the rumors much and treating them like gospel, so it wasn't nearly as heartbreaking.

Cautious optimism.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Actually, I thought EarthBound got a decent amount of love in Smash 4. It got Magicant, a stage that was basically fanservice and callbacks to old games, three new remixes, a new Assist Trophy, and the return of Lucas through DLC.

But I digress. This is the support thread for Ridley, not the EarthBound thread.

I understand that you're trying to be careful, but that doesn't mean you have to automatically disregard every rumor surrounding Ridley. You can still have a little fun with these "leaks". Treat the rumors like they're fake, but keep them in mind and line them up with what other people are saying. If Ridley gets revealed, it'll make sense. If not, oh well. You weren't buying into the rumors much and treating them like gospel, so it wasn't nearly as heartbreaking.

Cautious optimism.
Well with earthbound I mean that they were about to cut off Lucas, and I felt the DLC was just because they saw how much people wanted him in the game.
And what I mean to not believe leaks is because I know what happens, people start to get hyped about it, they don't control their emotions, and when nothing happens and is reveal that the leak was fake, they get their hopes crushed, only sadness is left.
I don't want people to get hyped with a leak that doesn't even have any proofs, the dude that leaked it made lots of mistakes before just like some comments from the thread says.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Guys. don't believe a single this leak, don't do it.
Not only because some comments in that thread says that the leaker had lots of leaks wrong in the past, but because we are Ridley supporters, we have been through this hundred of times, leaks that sounds believable but they end up being BS.
How was that tower of smash mode?
anyone had fun with the chorus kids?
This leak is just a wall of text, there is no proof, and even if there was proof, it could also be just photoshop images or a well elaborated video like that one of Rayman in smash4.
Is better to not believe anything and get surprised, than believe it, get your hopes high and then get crushed once more.

I don't say it to be a party pooper, I say it because this is not the first time this happens and I don't want anyone to live what happen in smash 4 one more time.
Too late, I am already expecting him.

:yeahboi:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Well with earthbound I mean that they were about to cut off Lucas, and I felt the DLC was just because they saw how much people wanted him in the game.
I think they know Mother fans are quite loyal and would pay for any official Nintendo thing that is related to the series. BANG! Lucas is not a secret character, but a $5.99 DLC :ness:

Top Bottom