• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
so that leak got debunked. just as well, it was a bit underwhelming on the smash bros side of things. they even got the wrong purple dragon! :chuckle:
he was piggy backing off another leak, so this could still happen

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Might be straw-grasping at its finest, but two things got leaked yesterday to help us support a potential Ridley reveal at E3.

The first is the Wal-mart Canada E3 leak.

According to this list, Smash and Metroid Prime 4 will supposedly be two of Nintendo's games discussed at E3. Now this obviously doesn't mean that these are the ONLY first-party games Nintendo will be talking about, as it's very likely that quite a few unannounced games are missing from this list. However, it's interesting to note how these two were the only ones listed; Pokemon and Fire Emblem are nowhere in sight. Is it possible that Pokemon got delayed and that FE will be quietly sitting in the shadows as Smash and Prime 4 steal the focus of E3? Possibly. If Prime 4 gets heavy promotion, this certainly bodes well for a Ridley Smash reveal tie-in.

The second leak is in a tweet from a former Bandai Namco employee. Apparently, this employee programmed a new engine before development on Smash Switch began. Aside from the debate on whether or not the game's engine is new, this also hints that Bandai Namco is indeed working on a Smash game once again. And what else do we think Namco is working on? That's right. Prime 4. We were already speculating this several months prior to yesterday's tweet, but this does solidify our claims quite a bit. If the same company who's working on Smash Switch is creating Prime 4, then the possibility of Ridley being added as a promotional character skyrockets. Sakurai is far more likely to see early concepts of the game this way, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he tries to do knock two birds with one stone by helping the development team promote their game with a new character and by adding a fan-favorite that Smash fans have been begging for.

For most of us, none of this probably feels like big news. We already knew that Prime 4 would likely be at E3, and the thought of Banda Namco developing the latest installments of Smash and Metroid is something a lot of us have already come to expect. Still, no matter which way you look at it, this helps our chances of getting Ridley.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Not really Ridley related, but I finished another fighter and have a size comparison.
pok.png

Thinking of doing either Ganondorf or Medusa next.

Zeox

Smash Champion
the possibility of Ridley being added as a promotional character skyrockets.
I said it before and I say it again, I think they are gonna do like they did with Splatoon.
Talk a lot about Prime 4 and all the new stuff, then put a new trailer with ridley and samus fighting, but then is revealed that is not a prime 4 trailer but rather Ridley's smash confirmation.
And the same they could do with other new characters, like saying there is a new donkey kong tropical freeze dlc but is actually king k. rool.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
I said it before and I say it again, I think they are gonna do like they did with Splatoon.
Talk a lot about Prime 4 and all the new stuff, then put a new trailer with ridley and samus fighting, but then is revealed that is not a prime 4 trailer but rather Ridley's smash confirmation.
And the same they could do with other new characters, like saying there is a new donkey kong tropical freeze dlc but is actually king k. rool.
that could be a fun ad campaign, piggyback off the trailers for other games whose popular picks are getting in. fingers crossed for a Star Fox announcement soon ;w;

Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt i vote medusa! and would "a recolor of your porky with blue skin and the red striped suit" count as an interesting request?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Just watched Some samus return footage (since i dont own a 3ds, I have a switch and a wiiu :v) and i can say that ridley certainly is at a better position now. thank goodness that we managed to move away of that horrible half gorilla half scrooge mac duck design, and while still slightly obscure for the masses ridley relevance is still strong enough.

Plus, people already forgot about forgetable characters like andy what was his name and rundas, so less troll posts :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
I gotta say it. All of you mentioning Ridley as a potential hold up for DLC are absolutely out of your minds. Ridley as DLC is better late than never but lets not act like we outright want it to happen. DLC for Ridley is insulting at this occurrence and honestly make all of you sound desperate in reversed.

Starter roster Ridley FTW because, it'd feel more official.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wasn’t sure if whether I should’ve posted the Smash Legacy XP trailer here, but yeah, everything in it looked pretty good. The way it showed off both the Ridley mod builds particularly ("classic" and modern @ 2:26 or so) was exceptional though. No Meta Ridley skin from the offset is kind of a bummer, but it's always been an afterthought addition for these mods, cool as it is.

As for DLC, the sales potential is definitely there for him like with any popular character. Only problem is when he’s repeatedly shot down publicly by the director, he kinda becomes unviable to push for as DLC. I wouldn’t feel “insulted” if he got added that way though rather than on the base roster, as it’s how we got ****ing Mewtwo and some characters back, though I realize they’re a different case compared to Ridley’s unfortunate unique situation.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Just think, four weeks from now we could have Ridley confirmed in smash after all these years. I'm so hyped for e3! I really think Ridley will be there.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Might as well post this here:

Has both "Ridley (Classic)" and "Ridley (Modern)".
I might be dumb but I cant see both of them on the CSS. Ill download this later this week, love the mod.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I kinda hope it's not the samus returns ridley, he is kinda ugly lol.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually like the design a lot, although I do prefer the concept art to the in-game model. Of course the best case scenario would be the Brawl/Super Metroid design, but even if we were to get the Other M design I'd still love it, I just want Ridley lol.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Funny you say that, is one of my fav desings.
But don't worry, if they are gonna add Ridley is more probable that they will use the classic Ridley. Proteus Ridley, Meta Ridley and other Ridley could be alt skins but I doubt it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't mind if Samus Returns Ridley was added (he's one of my favorites). However, based on the silhouette we got in the teaser, I'm still not convinced that Samus is wearing either her Other M suit or her Returns suit, making me think she has a new design. If Ridley gets in Smash, I have a feeling he'll be based off of something we've never seen before, possibly even something from Prime 4.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
My current tin foil hat theory:
I hadn't seen this rumor till recently but I saw it going through the general thread.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros/76421310

Claims Ridley is in Smash. That's about it. However this is the same guy who said Bandai-Namco would be working on Metroid Prime 4 before that was revealed (link is in post).

And now it's come out that Bandai-Namco is working on Smash for Switch. Coincidence??? Basically it sounds like they have an in with someone who works with or at Bandai-Namco and that's how they might be getting this info.

(They post a link to another theory in their post which sounds less likely however they claim it's a different source so I wouldn't really consider that)

Anyway just fun speculation while I was bored. The fact alone that Bandai-Namco is working on both games gives me hope.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I hadn't seen this rumor till recently but I saw it going through the general thread.

Claims Ridley is in Smash. That's about it. However this is the same guy who said Bandai-Namco would be working on Metroid Prime 4 before that was revealed (link is in post).

And now it's come out that Bandai-Namco is working on Smash for Switch. Coincidence??? Basically it sounds like they have an in with someone who works with or at Bandai-Namco and that's how they might be getting this info.

(They post a link to another theory in their post which sounds less likely however they claim it's a different source so I wouldn't really consider that)

Anyway just fun speculation while I was bored. The fact alone that Bandai-Namco is working on both games gives me hope.
Been keeping an eye on that, but I'm not investing too much hope into it. Just keeping it in the back of my mind.

Still, it's better than nothing. It also goes along with the theory that certain journalists (whose names I can't remember) knew about Ridley's inclusion and joked about him in a Discord PM. Then there's also Emily Rogers herself responding to that Gamefaqs discussion a user made claiming she was hinting Ridley was a newcomer, saying something along the lines of, "I don't remember ever saying anything about Ridley online."

Nothing undeniably true, but nothing you can prove fake either.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yeah, we discussed it for a while when it was first posted. The guy is a known fighting game leaker, but he has a bit of a patchy history, he nailed TMNT in Injustice 2 and the Dragon Ball FighterZ DLC, and he also out saying that the next Pokémon game takes place in Kanto the night before it exploded, but he has gotten more than a few things wrong aswell. Obviously the only thing we have to go off of with this particular source of his is the Prime 4 Namco thing, which turned out to be true, but it's a very small sample size.

It's not something worth getting one's hopes up over, but it's something at least.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm actually surprised how few leaks have been floating around...or at least have made it to me. Makes sense that we've seen next to nothing about the game so far, but if the game's releasing this year then Nintendo's actually done a good job patching holes.

This seems plausible in its simplicity - one character and that's it. Still, not going to believe it though. Riddles is the only character we can be sure 100% will be up for consideration since he's been asked about by name every game so far, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo got wind of the fanbase's disappointment with how he was handled in Sm4sh. But until Nintendo shows actual Ridley gameplay, I'm not buying it. I've been burned enough.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Been keeping an eye on that, but I'm not investing too much hope into it. Just keeping it in the back of my mind.
It's not something worth getting one's hopes up over, but it's something at least.
Oh I'm going into E3 with hope regardless of leaks lol. E3 is his best chance for sure.

Had a dream he was announced at E3 and the first thing I did in the dream was check Smashboards, only to find it Ridley Boards again and crashing like all hell lol. Hoping that's what happens.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm actually surprised how few leaks have been floating around...or at least have made it to me. Makes sense that we've seen next to nothing about the game so far, but if the game's releasing this year then Nintendo's actually done a good job patching holes.

This seems plausible in its simplicity - one character and that's it. Still, not going to believe it though. Riddles is the only character we can be sure 100% will be up for consideration since he's been asked about by name every game so far, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo got wind of the fanbase's disappointment with how he was handled in Sm4sh. But until Nintendo shows actual Ridley gameplay, I'm not buying it. I've been burned enough.
It's not really uncommon that there aren't many notable leaks this far from release, in the history of Smash leaks the Gematsu leak was a serious outlier, and even that had outdated information. If we get any legit leaks in relation to E3 they'll only come within a few days of the presentation, which is when the game's content does the rounds in various media and marketing circles, until then any real leak would have to come from within Nintendo/Namco's own headquarters, or very close partners of them at least, and although it's happened before it's very unlikely.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There exists a Ridley fan who didn’t like the Proteus form? First time for everything I guess, but at least it’s not some majority consensus like with the Other M clone and is actually an improvement in a lot of areas.

Credibility factors aside, I guess I like how before with SSB4, any so-called leaks with Ridley were mostly dismissed due to his Pyrosphere situation (and rightfully so), while now they’re kinda treated as more up in the air/people being cautiously optimistic... How times have changed somewhat.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There exists a Ridley fan who didn’t like the Proteus form? First time for everything I guess, but at least it’s not some majority consensus like with the Other M clone and is actually an improvement in a lot of areas.

Credibility factors aside, I guess I like how before with SSB4, any so-called leaks with Ridley were mostly dismissed due to his Pyrosphere situation (and rightfully so), while now they’re kinda treated as more up in the air/people being cautiously optimistic... How times have changed somewhat.
But the Ridley shadow on Pyrosphere was like months after we had seen so much of the game. We haven't seen anything yet so any rumor could be possible.

That's why I'm currently going into E3 thinking if we see any glimpse of Pyrosohere as a returning stage then Ridley is not going to be playable. Sakurai could surprise us , but I'd rather be surprised than dissapointed.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am liking his chances this time, there is not much hype characters left just him and rool (first party).

I looked at Proteus ridley in google images and he is not as bad as it looked in game, though I prefer his original purple form

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I am liking his chances this time, there is not much hype characters left just him and rool (first party).

I looked at Proteus ridley in google images and he is not as bad as it looked in game, though I prefer his original purple form
I'm pretty sure that form was mainly created to fill in a plot hole - how Ridley went from a cyborg in the Prime games to fully organic in Super Metroid. (that, and give Samus Returns an awesome final boss)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
One thing I love about Proteus Ridley is that he has a lot of regular Ridley in there, to the point it wouldn't be that hard to create a standard design based on what we see in Proteus

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Vergeben is back (He's been proven to be legit a handful of times)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511#7

So its this is right it means, Its a roster port with everyone from Wii U, and Ridley, Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers. I like it!
(then in response to a question of what he's gotten right before)
From what I know its:
DLC for Injustice 2 (Very unsafe choices with all 4 ninja turtles)
DLC for one of the DBZ games
That MP4 is Bandai Namco

And now hes the one that started the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor which is having a lot of outlets coming out and backing.

We also have the resetera mods saying Ridley is in the game so it furthers this point.
sounds promising for the big guy. i'm not taking this as gospel by any means but i'll admit i'm getting my hopes up in a cautiously-optimistic sorta way

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Nope. I don't believe it. It will take me personally selecting Ridley on the select screen to believe he's actually in the game, and EVEN THEN, I'd have doubts that it was just a purple Charizard

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Nope. I don't believe it. It will take me personally selecting Ridley on the select screen to believe he's actually in the game, and EVEN THEN, I'd have doubts that it was just a purple Charizard
"You know, as much as I like Charizard in this game, I never got why he's next to Samus on the select screen"
~DukeofDorks, after 2 years of playing and maining Ridley since the game launched

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's encouraging that Vergeben puts a second source to the Ridley rumor, at least it means that it's not just at the mercy of one source's credibility. Ridley in Smash is still something I'll only believe when I see it, but it's nice to have these rumblings of his potential inclusion, it keeps my interest in speculation alive for just a bit longer.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
As cautiously optimistic as I am, this sounds entirely within reason. Ice Climbers is very believable, Ridley and Simon would be exciting additions from Nintendo's history, and the whole roster of Wii U/3DS is a bold move. It's just crazy enough that Nintendo would do it.
I would not be surprised if there is no cuts, sakurai has said he hates cuting characters and the only reason there were cuts in brawl was the lack of time( the cut characters had written code on the disk with mewtwo being almost complete)

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that form was mainly created to fill in a plot hole - how Ridley went from a cyborg in the Prime games to fully organic in Super Metroid. (that, and give Samus Returns an awesome final boss)
You could take Ridley being beaten in Prime 3 as the Phazon within him destroying all of the "METAL" about him, if you want. You don't actually see him turn into a pile of radioactive goo, either.

Off-Screen Death: WOOPS, HE DIDN'T DIE AFTER ALL!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's encouraging that Vergeben puts a second source to the Ridley rumor, at least it means that it's not just at the mercy of one source's credibility. Ridley in Smash is still something I'll only believe when I see it, but it's nice to have these rumblings of his potential inclusion, it keeps my interest in speculation alive for just a bit longer.
I'm just glad that Ridley isn't tied down to the one source who claims that Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers are playable. Not saying neither would happen, but Vergeben did say that he's only known the person making this claim a short time. If he doesn't have a long history with this person, then I have be a little more skeptical with his "leaks".

That being said, consistency is good. If Vergeben is still supporting his original source's claims after two months, then he must be confident that it's true (although this wouldn't be the first time he was wrong). I'm trying to remain cautious, but a Ridley reveal at E3 is gaining traction.

Top Bottom