• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What have you done?!

You could possibly argue that that bit under her arms isn't shaped like that and it is some sort of padding.

Does she look weird next to the ZSS model?
It almost works since Zamus has some broad shoulders to her.
upload_2018-4-22_3-22-39.png

Definitely nowhere near as bad as Other M though.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
It almost works since Zamus has some broad shoulders to her.

Definitely nowhere near as bad as Other M though.
Yeah you can definitely see that kinda working, at least enough for it to be believable. I'm actually a pretty big fan of all the Samus Returns designs, especially Zero Suit.

Yikes I didn't realise that Other M models were that bad. I guess you don't really get much context to compare the two outside of rendered cutscenes.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Samus' power suit is kind of one of those things that is probably best left to suspension of disbelief. Frankly very little of the Metroid series technology makes much sense. It's basically Sci-Fi Technobabble technology.

I mean the Morph Ball function alone breaks physics in probably at least a dozen different ways.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
has ridley fans died down this go around? i dont see nearly much support this go around, king k rool is stealing the limelight.

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
has ridley fans died down this go around? i dont see nearly much support this go around, king k rool is stealing the limelight.
Speculation this time around seems dead. The Smash Switch Discussion forum is as active as it gets and even then its the same like 15 people talking about Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. When people seen the Smash trailer they probably said "Oh cool a Smash port with the Inklings" me included and part of me still think its a possiblity.

Last edited:
This has always been a very K rool-centric board. Especially when compared to other sites.

But with Smsah For it makes sense why Ridley support would be so quiet. Cause and effect.

1. Ridley fanbase was straight up quarantined. While other fanbases were able to grow and evolve, the entire fanbase was forced into a little nook. Many of those users stopped leaving the quarantine and no one had any reason to join. So basically any major Ridley fan had no reason to keep using smashboards.

2. After 2 Sakurai quotes, a lot of people have just given up. Anyone who would normally bandwagon to likely characters isn't going to show up anymore. This basically means we have no growth anymore

3. With how badly Smash For went, a lot of people don't want a repeat. Last time people were way too active and excited over nothing. No more memes about drinking the water or anything or "second posts."

At this point, the Ridley fanbase has been dramatically worn down. We have no growth since Ridley is seen unlikely, and the old-guard fans are much less energized. It's a sad story. You can bet your ass if Ridley is announced the Smash fanbase will have a meltdown, but right now it's going to be calm before the storm.
:061:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also there's nothing to really speculate on at the moment besides shadow analysis and the Inkling's moveset.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'd say it's cause most Ridley fans either decided they shouldn't support a lost cause or due to mellowing out, both of these are of course due to the Sakurai statement. Though tbf I like how we've mellowed out as it means we aren't a rabid bunch of idiots

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I don’t like the possibility, there could very well not even be Samus Returns content in Smash Switch, for all we know. I hope MSR gets some content though, Ridley inclusion or not, but can’t really say for certain right now. We’ve already entertained/discussed most ideas for it, regardless. MP4 I still think is coming too late for it to have any Smash content whatsoever, even if Ridley happens to be in that too.

Mostly just looking forward to the finalized Meta Ridley F4F figure at the moment, whenever they decide to post it. Was last said that the painting part was done at least, so may just be in its last couple or so phases, with adding some circuits, lighting, etc for the wings and eyes... IDK

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
While I don’t like the possibility, there could very well not even be Samus Returns content in Smash Switch, for all we know. I hope MSR gets some content though, Ridley inclusion or not, but can’t really say for certain right now. We’ve already entertained/discussed most ideas for it, regardless. MP4 I still think is coming too late for it to have any Smash content whatsoever, even if Ridley happens to be in that too.

Mostly just looking forward to the finalized Meta Ridley F4F figure at the moment, whenever they decide to post it. Was last said that the painting part was done at least, so may just be in its last couple or so phases, with adding some circuits, lighting, etc for the wings and eyes... IDK
I'll try and keep up with the updates for F4F meta Ridley, when there's something new I'll let people know as usual.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
just wonder how the drop in fandom would effect his chances.
It won't affect anything for Smash 5, they'll have used Smash 4 speculation to gauge popularity seeing as the roster will have been decided long before any Smash 5 speculation began. Furthermore Ridley has also been popular for so many years prior, popularity isn't going to be a problem for him anytime soon, he has a history that's hard to ignore.

At the moment I wouldn't sweat it over the lack of activity from his supporters, it'll never get to the same point as during Smash 4 speculation, but I hope once the game is revealed and we get to see what it's all about we'll at least have an active community going again. It's worth noting that the entire speculation scene is at a standstill atm.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted here since the Smash 4 days. I'm glad that people are still showing their support and making original content.

I wouldn't worry about Ridley's popularity too much. That has never been a problem. There is still demand for the character. As MasterOfKnees already put it, the hype during the Smash 4 days will be a more important factor than the current hype.
There's also nothing to talk about, because the teaser barely told us anything. Once we know more, this thread will pick up steam. Even without any info, this is one of the most active threads on Smashboards.

That being said, I doubt it will get as crazy as the Smash 4 Ridley thread. And I hope so. The lead-up to Smash 4 was incredibly long. The painfully slow build-up to Ridley's stage hazard reveal was the main reason that thread went so fast. I sincerely hope that such a thing doesn't happen again and that we know Ridley's fate as soon as we see the first gameplay of Smash Switch.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's not really much of a reason to sweat over the lack of activity. I mean, aside from the fact that we know Smash Switch exists, Inklings are in Smash, and BotW Link is in this game to some capacity, there's not much that's changed since the reveal. It's pretty hard to get deep into the speculation when we have little to no info on the game.

And as for the drop in Ridley's support? I doubt it matters in the long run. Even if Ridley doesn't get in, Sakurai was well aware of his popularity and demand before he started this game (And I'm also sure he was aware of the criticism he got after revealing Ridley was a boss character in Smash Wii U, if the comment he made shortly after the October 2014 presentation didn't make that obvious enough). Regardless, I have a good feeling that Sakurai is going to try something different with Ridley. Might not be a playable character, but I doubt it'll be a stage boss for the third time.

Last edited:
Ridley being a highly wanted character is always going to be a thing. Sakurai doesn't have a short attention span to forget that. . . unless we go like 3 more smash games and Ridley just vanishes for all games. But for the foreseeable future his popularity will just be something assumed.

And even then, the Ridley thread is still the thread with the second most posts of any support thread lol. Not that it means anything but to say that Ridley fans are inactive compared to K rool fans when this thread is actually more active is. . .being alarmist at best. Not that it matters since all of this is an echochamber and postcounts/viewcounts mean jack-**** but still

:061:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Nintendo still clearly knows how much people want Ridley in Smash. Remember the call-out to Smash fans when they teased Ridley being in Samus Returns?

Though come to think of it, was that call-out in the Japanese direct as well?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
At the very least, I could never see Ridley never being anything less than the prominent NPC we've seen him in past games (64's stage cameo, Melee's opening, Brawl's two boss fights, Sm4sh's stage boss, and obviously trophies/stickers/theme remixes, and even the supposed Assist Trophy data that got scrapped back in Brawl days).

Even if it's just return of Pyrosphere or a hazard/stage element on a MSR stage, I don't see Ridley getting left out like he did in Smash for 3DS. The "issue" really just being most of us would rather see him playable at this point or at least "done right" (the Dyna Blade cut-out boss Brawl Ridley and piñata Roidley weren't well received with most of us for obvious reasons).

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
oh. oh wow, that's pretty blatant. if that nod was in the japanese direct too then i'd call it foreshadowing
Even if it is in the Japanese direct, I'm not going to assume that Ridley is going to be playable in Smash until I see footage of 8 Ridleys dancing on Battlefield screeching "I am part of the Smash Bros roster and am fully playable like every other character in all modes, including online play, classic mode, local versus, etc."

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Nintendo still clearly knows how much people want Ridley in Smash. Remember the call-out to Smash fans when they teased Ridley being in Samus Returns?

Though come to think of it, was that call-out in the Japanese direct as well?
I don't think it was. Whilst I can't speak, read or understand Japanese, in the bit with Samus Returns, I didn't hear a mention "Dai rantō sumasshu burazāzu" anywhere. It doesn't help that the Direct itself has been removed from Nintendo Japan's Youtube listing... I had to use a fan's channel that streamed the direct to check it...

oh. oh wow, that's pretty blatant. if that nod was in the japanese direct too then i'd call it foreshadowing
There was also a bit around the end where it says "vengeance has a name", followed by a Ridley roar, which was kinda promoting his return in a subtle way.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
A bit of an update on the F4F Meta Ridley figure. They've said that in the painting stage, there was a bit of an issue with the base coating but it has now been addressed. I think they haven't quite moved on completely yet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Skip to 8:35.
"And everyone, from Metroid fans, to Super Smash Bros fans, should take notice"
At the very least, Ridley supporters should feel proud that Nintendo had directly associated Ridley with Smash twice now. One was with this, and the other was with that cruel Nintendo Badge Arcade joke.

That shows me that Nintendo has realized that Ridley has become a popular icon that they can exploit to raise sales of their games. Obviously they used his popularity in that trailer to convince Smash fans to purchase Samus Returns. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they try the same thing with Smash Switch and Prime 4.

Zeox

Smash Champion
We, the space pirates, have done everything we could to let Nintendo know about how much we want Ridley in Smash.
Now, once more, is in their hands.
All the madness from Smash 4 made things clear as water, the results of our war will been show in this new Smash.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
At the very least, Ridley supporters should feel proud that Nintendo had directly associated Ridley with Smash twice now. One was with this, and the other was with that cruel Nintendo Badge Arcade joke.

That shows me that Nintendo has realized that Ridley has become a popular icon that they can exploit to raise sales of their games. Obviously they used his popularity in that trailer to convince Smash fans to purchase Samus Returns. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they try the same thing with Smash Switch and Prime 4.
I suppose this could be a factor too:

Having a Ridley pet was one thing (something I didn't expect would happen), but to have not 2... not 3... not 4... but 5 pets was slightly mind blowing. Notably, Ridley's default uses orange wing membranes, which was used in Super Smash Bros. Melee (opening trailer) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (though more dark greyish yellow). The red and green variants are from the Super Metroid boxart and Metroid Zero Mission artwork respectively. However, the black and cyan variants, as far as I'm aware, are brand new. Also notably, Yoshio Sakamoto was Producer of Miitomo (and Metroid Samus Returns), so I guess he's fine with Ridley being made smaller. Colour variants tend to get used for multiplayer based games, including Super Smash Bros.

Edit: I think the Kirby pet didn't even get variants, despite having colour alts already in various games.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

Having a Ridley pet was one thing (something I didn't expect would happen), but to have not 2... not 3... not 4... but 5 pets was slightly mind blowing. Notably, Ridley's default uses orange wing membranes, which was used in Super Smash Bros. Melee (opening trailer) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (though more dark greyish yellow). The red and green variants are from the Super Metroid boxart and Metroid Zero Mission artwork respectively. However, the black and cyan variants, as far as I'm aware, are brand new. Also notably, Yoshio Sakamoto was Producer of Miitomo (and Metroid Samus Returns), so I guess he's fine with Ridley being made smaller. Colour variants tend to get used for multiplayer based games, including Super Smash Bros.

Edit: I think the Kirby pet didn't even get variants, despite having colour alts already in various games.

oh that black one rocks, i'd use it
ridley-black.png

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I'm not going to assume that Ridley is going to be playable in Smash
Wisdom. Everybody needs to remember this when the inevitable leaks show up. *Never* assume, no matter how badly you want it.
The scenes if Ridley gets a shiny Charizard alt before Charizard does.
Charizard already does, and it disappoints me that the morons who think otherwise insist on spreading the misinformation that RSE introduced shining Pokémon. We even got the better shiny palette.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
just wonder how the drop in fandom would effect his chances.
As was stated above Ridley talk around here got neutered hard. But make no mistake you go to other prominent gaming sites and look at their Smash discussions and Ridley comes up extremely often.

What we talk about right now isn't going to have much affect on the game aside from maybe DLC. Keep your head held high knowing that it was our Smash Wii U/3DS Ridley promotion and debating which would have decided Ridley's fate for this game. I'm not worried at all.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We really worried about Ridley getting talked about? This thread has 53 pages

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think it was, I don't it was even in the European direct, which uses subtitles instead of voice over. It still teases Ridley, just doesn't mention Smash.

How does he work in Miitomo ? Is he just something you can have on your back or can he move around to? Does he make any noises?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I don't think it was, I don't it was even in the European direct, which uses subtitles instead of voice over. It still teases Ridley, just doesn't mention Smash.

How does he work in Miitomo ? Is he just something you can have on your back or can he move around to? Does he make any noises?
He's something that you have on your back and shoulder.

He doesn't move or speak. He's basically an accessory to wear, think of the pet like a scarf.

Top Bottom