• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Soothsayer Spill - 11/1/10

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello everyone, probably only a few of you know me around these neck of the woods. Some friendly, some not. But whatever.

I've decided to make this thread to spill a lot of my ideas about Sheik. Many of these things will likely be things some of you will go "Well no **** sherlock, we've been doing this for months! If not years!" but others may even freshen up your memory or be something you've never even thought of!

Feel free to share your tips and tricks in this thread as well, but I won't be adding them to the OP unless I feel they are super duper awesome. Alrighty?

First off I'd like to touch on my view of Sheik as a character. She is well rounded, relies on baits and reads, and has speed that is hard matched in this game. Her attacks are fast, even if lacking a bit of range, and she has trouble killing. Nothing new so far? Right?

Well, most of you will know her offstage game is great. When she's on the offensive, but it's bad when she needs to recover. Her Up-B isn't amazing, it's punishable, side-B can be risky, and not many legal stages have clingable walls. For this reason, I don't personally feel Sheik is a viable Game1 character - unless you're going to Yoshi's Island (brawl). She has quite a few good counterpick stages however, so she makes a great pocket char - which is how I plan to use her.

I have not done amazing with her in tournament yet, but I plan to start using her and getting her rep starting my next tourney. So everything I say, take with some grain of salt.

Let's really begin now, with my dump.

November 1st, 2010

A great recovery mixup I enjoy doing when I use the chain to recover, is to save my second jump. After using the chain, I let it bring me towards the stage and I press down to cancel it - use my second jump, and catch my opponent off guard. Sometimes I'll even instantly cancel it and do this! Many opponents expect for you to instantly press A to go to the ledge, so this is just another mixup.

I feel a B-reversed (read: not wavebounce, just B-reversed) needle cancel can be very useful if you are able to pull it off fast enough. You can pull off-stage bair-->fair-->bair combos and such which only helps Sheik's gimp game. If you're feeling risky, you can even use needle in a few matchups to ensure they die (Diddy Kong especially)

Sheik has an amazing banana/item in general game. Due to her speed and her fast aerials, she can perform double item drops to fair/nair and just apply such an unrealistic amount of shield pressure. It's not a spot your opponent wants to be in, and man is it amazing for Sheik!

Sheik easily has one of the best grab games in this game; barring characters with chaingrabs and "true" techchases (Snake).

Her fthrow is a complete frame trap, and is unpunishable at most percents. If you SH after the throw, you outspeed most characters and can hit them before they can hit you. If they airdodge, you can pause and hit them as they come out of it. I've had fthrow's even go straight into ftilt locks into usmash KO's so often I don't even know how many times I've done it now. It's an AMAZING move.

Likewise, her bthrow at mid/low %'s throws opponents perfectly as the Battlefield platform height level. You can throw them and they WILL land on that platform, allowing you to apply some awesome SH uair/usmash pressure from below while they're laying (or even teching perhaps) on that platform. I've managed to do bthrow --> sourspot bair lock --> repeat --> tippered usmash. While that one's really hard to get off, in a few matchups it actually KO's!

Uthrow and dthrow are for higher %'s imo. Both of them are actually read bad at low %'s (dthrow often gets me punished) and so I save them for higher %'s. Both place your opponent up into the air, which is always a bad position - especially when you're against Sheik.

Like I said.. amazing grab game.

Watch out for possible locks. Whenever your opponent misses a tech (or is in a position that they may possibly tech) throw a needle. Did it hit? Close that distance! Go for a grab, dash attack, DACUS, do SOMETHING! Did it miss? Oh well, try again. I don't feel enough Sheik's capitalize on their opponents when their opponent fails to tech. You can get this after fairs, off dash attack, and (really rare) even dsmash! Don't forget those platform push-offs that some people don't attack out of, or even those accidental footstools (go for the soft bair lock in this case, and if at a higher % try to drift and b-reverse a needle at them)

Single, and several needles are sometimes better than the full load! I find myself sometimes getting punished due to it taking longer to fire all the needles off when fully charged. If I get a bad read or shoot them off in air, it's a little more likely to hit but it puts me in a punishable spot.

Because of this, until my opponent is at about 60%+ I avoid charging my needles past a few. Just remember to double-tap B and you'll do fine. It also keeps the needles off your opponents mind because you aren't glowing. They might think you're going to throw one, then you let off a small barrage!

Again - mixups are everything!

Down tilt. Oh how I've always underrated this move for Sheik AND Snake! For both characters it is their furtherst reaching ground option from a standing position. Often times you can counter aerials by just crouching beneath them, and dtilting your opponents landing. For Sheik (since her's is a little faster than Snake's and her jump isn't 11 ****ing frames) she can really capitalized on this against her opponent.

I often find when my opponent is staying just out of ftilt reach, throwing out a dtilt can suddenly switch all momentum into my favor. I also randomly throw this out sometimes as a scare tactic, and because people think it's laggier than it really is.

I find dtilt to be superior to up tilt in most positions. (In fact, up-tilt pretty much sucks.. but that's another story and I don't want to touch up on it here)

Oh, did I mention it shield pokes? <333333

Earlier I said that Sheik is a pocket character. What did I mean by this?

She's a character not many have experience with, she has some gimmicks but is overall a character that has a very powerful read and bait game. If you're able to get into your opponents mind and read them, Sheik is ONE HELL of a force to be wrecked with! I've had many times where I've had 0-100%+ combos with the use of only 1-2 ftilts through the whole thing, and those were only for a quick shield pressure! (Ftilt-->Dtilt poke)

But, she has exploitable flaws. One large thing being her recovery, and due to the current starter stage list - all someone has to do is strike Battle Field and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and you're starting off on some pretty bad stages. FD is 'aight, but Smashville and Lylat are bad.

Because of this, I don't trust myself to go Sheik Game1.... Snake has a strong starter-stage list setup and is, no duh, a better character overall. I can't bring myself to use Sheik as a main because of this.

However she's good on MANY stages (again, IMO)!

On Rainbow Cruise, she has a WALKOFF GRAB RELEASE KO) as well as a GRAB RELEASE INFINITE (against one of the 3 walls) on some of the cast. Her Usmash KO's much sooner, her gimp game is pretty amazing, there are a few walls for her to abuse here and there, and gimping her is actually a pretty hard feat (except during the pendulam)

This might be my biased love for RC in general ( I take EVERYONE there... even as Snake ) I feel Sheik does amazing here as well....

Yoshi's Island Brawl, the ghost platforms and a clingable wall? The ceiling is a bit higher but for the advantages you're gaining I feel it's a fair trade to rack up another 25-30% to guarentee that KO. Not much else to say here.

Delfino Plaza (extremely matchup dependant) - I have a love/hate relationship with this stage. Except during transitions, a gimp can be pretty hard. Theres a lot of gimicks and ledges Sheik can abuse, and she's able to teleport through the stage to safety. Overall it's not one of her best, but it's better than Smashville (IMO.. again)

Halberd (even more matchup dependant) - Lower ceiling, clingable walls, but you have to live through the floating platform to get there first... that's by far the hardest part of this stage. Do it and you are rewarded with a stage you can needle camp on, and a platform placed well enough to use some grab setups and get a tipper usmash setup for yourself. What's not to love?

4 stages = good enough to be viable. Nobody can ban all 4. :bee:

Sorry, but the chain sucks. Yes, I know how to use it. It's only good for edgeguarding a very select amount of characters, but otherwise. it sucks.

That is all.

Jab mixups. Love them, but I feel this is so stupidly known about and obvious I'll leave it out. (Jab grab, jab dtilt, jab ftilt, jab jab grab, jab jab ftilt utilt, jab jab dash away....)

End November 1st, 2010

That's all for now! Just remember everything here is from my personal experience, a touch of theorycraft (if anyone knows me, my theorycrafting is pretty legit), and my knowledge of this game. I know much of this is probably known, but I feel like sharing and it's nice to know my tips may help someone, somewhere.

I'll update whenever I have more to say and change the date in the title.

:nifty::leek:

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
The Chain isn't that bad. If they are above 30% most characters can't punish an electric tipper. I use it for spacing some times. SH chain is also good for a read. If you can predict were they are going next you can know were the chain should go to punish them. It does more damage than anything else and if they are dumb they will try to hit you out of it which only makes them get more damage.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I disagree with your opinion of stages. Yoshi's Island is bad. The wall cling for the most part doesn't matter. She can't up-b to a wall cling like Lucario....making her wall cling pretty much non-existant....if you think her wall cling helps out her recovery than you might as well say that her wall cling helps her on FD......which it doesn't. YI messes up Vanish auot cancelling heights on the stage, it's also possible to vanish onto the lip and just slide off. Not to mention the middle platform getting in the way of DACUS and the shy guys. Terrible stage.

She also has walk off GR on Castle Siege including being able to decay her ftilt at will on the stage. Probably her best counterpick.

Halberd is good though. You got that one right.

SuSa

The Chain isn't that bad. If they are above 30% most characters can't punish an electric tipper. I use it for spacing some times. SH chain is also good for a read. If you can predict were they are going next you can know were the chain should go to punish them. It does more damage than anything else and if they are dumb they will try to hit you out of it which only makes them get more damage.
Yeah. Might just be me, but the things ****ing useless except for certain edgeguards. :x

I disagree with your opinion of stages. Yoshi's Island is bad. The wall cling for the most part doesn't matter. She can't up-b to a wall cling like Lucario....making her wall cling pretty much non-existant....if you think her wall cling helps out her recovery than you might as well say that her wall cling helps her on FD......which it doesn't. YI messes up Vanish auot cancelling heights on the stage, it's also possible to vanish onto the lip and just slide off. Not to mention the middle platform getting in the way of DACUS and the shy guys. Terrible stage.

She also has walk off GR on Castle Siege including being able to decay her ftilt at will on the stage. Probably her best counterpick.

Halberd is good though. You got that one right.
I've only just come back from an 11 month hiatus. Castle Siege was banned when I left, so I haven't had as much time to theorycraft on it. I will agree it's a good stage, but the 3rd transition can be pretty bad if you need that clutch KO there and the tilt has ****ed me over a little.

She doesn't need that. Recovering also includes from-ledge gameplay until you get your *** back on your two feet on the main platform (stage).

Also if you're relying on the vanish cancel gimmick still, your opponent is bad at this matchup.

EDIT:

Shyguys can extend aerial hurtboxes. Some of them can also be abused for usmash when they fly lower.
That platform can be abused so awesomely... <33

Judo777

Smash Master
Its late and i didn't read it all but i gotta say most of what you say is true and i have already been working into my game.

A few critiques.

1. Sheiks recovery is about average tbh sheik should not be failing to recover very often. The real issue is doing so without taking many hits cause u can always take hits and get back on stage. Judge complimented me on my recovery and if the sheik knows how to work vanish angles and right tether distances you shouldnt be getting gimped by people unless ur too far to begin with.

2. Full charged needles is ALWAYS safer than any other charge. You have the same lag from 1 needle as you do with 6. With 6 the active frames run over into the ending lag so its just a matter of do want the lag with or without needles coming out.

3. Chain is not only not bad but its actually really really good. You just have to know how and especially WHEN to use it. You know those times when other characters charge fsmashes to punish landings? Well we cant hurt people with smashes like that half the time so instead why not get a free 25-30% with a grounded chain lock (which isnt hard to do for short bursts like 30% worth) or take about 20% with sh and be safe. Its actually surprisingly good. Also if ur opponent is gonna shield and you can get a grounded chain on their shield...... they are taking damage no choice. Its also IMO our best option after a shield break since we cant kill ppl til like 95%. Its all about when you use it and knowing when to stop.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Just want to point out that the tether cancel is a good trick; however, Sheik is invincible throughout the whole retraction of the tether so canceling it is only putting you at more risk. Otherwise good stuff. This was what I wanted to do, but didn't know how to do it lol. Will post later

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Also utilt is by far your safest option for platform pressure. Any of her aerials can be punished easier on block.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
A couple more trixies

Two jab lock setups that are situational but good damage if executed.

At the % where fair will send an opponent into tumble (so midish%'s character dependent), if you do an autocancel fair with the lowest possible frames, you can get a single jab in asap. This screws up the opponent's timing for teching and combined with the fact that they will be sent at a low angle, they might hit the ground w/o teching. Throw needles to force a get up and do a followup. You can most likely do a DACUS, and maybe you could dash shield drop>ftilt.

If you can't imagine it, imagine Falco's dthrow>single jab>laser lock setup that is done once the opponent goes past CG %'s, and it looks like the same thing except replace dthrow with fair and laser with needle.

I'm sure plenty of you guys have seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSI_7lHgCLs

So I did a little investigating to see if we could do this on MK too. Well, if you ever get them into a potential jab lock, you can do the rising bair, falling bair jab lock, and to continue it, you have enough time to dash into the opponent and rising bair, falling bair the other direction. So in effect, the character being jab locked stays in one area, and you can do this until bair stops jab locking. The timing is very strict, but I was able to do it on MK, so on larger characters this is much easier and practical.

Potential vids? Dunno see if school gets in the way.

Utilt is also an amazing followup after ftilt lock if you can't get to kill %'s because it's the most damaging tilt (13% iirc) and it puts the opponent into a great position to be setup into a potential frame trap.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Yeah, I can imagine it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-raVrLKIJo
We can also do that with Bair and Nair as well as kind do it with FSmash. The way I look at it...
FSmash (20ish%)
Nair (30ish%)
DSmash (35ish%)
Bair (50ish%)
Fair (60ish%)
weak Nair (80ish%)
ledge wake (90ish%)
weak Bair (100ish%)

I think that is the sum of it. I need to look back over my numbers.
Just keep in the back of your mind that at these percents you have a jab lock opportunity. Each decay adds about 5% to the flip.
Also, the best follow up options after needle is character dependent. You can cancel you dash with a shield> f-tilt and then combo as you like or on characters like Snake you can perform a fully charged DACUS and let both hits connect upon him waking.
You can also finnish with Vanish and if you feel like it attempt the Vanish catch combo and lock them with a single needle to force a get up (or just hit with FSmash). It has to end with something like a grab, DA or possibly a USmash.

You can also mess around with footstools. Chain also jab lock BTW.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Okay, something I loooove with throws that make frame traps for aerials, funnily I try to avoid using them at percents I know I won't be able to get them offstage or kill with them, so whenever I have fully charged needles I always jump towards them but I leave enough room so that they can't just swat me away with their own aerial. At first they always air dodge, so I end up just needling them after they've come back down or used their second jump. This is a great conditioner when you DO need to kill them with an aerial, because you know the chances of them dodging the initial aerial are lower EVEN when it's not a true string necessarily.

SuSa

I'll hopefully be able to add more stuff this Saturday after the tournament.

I also plan to use her this Saturday in tournament, especially as my pocket character.

/assuming I go to the tournament. :( Not confirmed yet.

SuSa

susa come back to the smash lab, you still use the leek! We miss you :(

I told rPSI the following:
IATCBITFAFHAAMIWION

If you people can decode what it means I'll come back. Sounds fair? Right? I mean, it's easy for anyone who knows what it is to decipher but outside of that you'd need a full on explanation! Right?

Kind of like how I felt over the stupid ****ing duration argument. :glare:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
um yeah needles always have the same lag during the throw. having them uncharged is nice for change cancel mix ups. you can scare people into thinking you are throwing needles or charging them which will force a lot if interesting reactions. spot dodges, sheilds rolls.

I believe needles can combo into moves. their hit stun is percent dependent.

renki got me big into that.

Judo777

Smash Master
um yeah needles always have the same lag during the throw. having them uncharged is nice for change cancel mix ups. you can scare people into thinking you are throwing needles or charging them which will force a lot if interesting reactions. spot dodges, sheilds rolls.

I believe needles can combo into moves. their hit stun is percent dependent.

renki got me big into that.
Yea they can but it is fairly dependant on DI

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can DI needles like crazy...........

I know at higher percents dash attack is true. jab works. grab is generally safe at those closer ranges.

(if dash attack hits OOS or combos dash grabs or boost grabs will generally work as well)

SuSa

Not even close. Please take it to PM though, don't want to spam this thread.

Let me fix that though because my ******* forgot acronyms existed. I'll also add 1 word because it's strangely phrased otherwise.

IWATACBITFAFHAAMIWION

Judo777

Smash Master
Not even close. Please take it to PM though, don't want to spam this thread.

Let me fix that though because my ******* forgot acronyms existed. I'll also add 1 word because it's strangely phrased otherwise.

IWATACBITFAFHAAMIWION

Just figured i would help you out saviours i would try but school is enough for me right now but i can aid with some observations.

Based on the info he gave us you can deduce 2 things i believe. First of all you will notice that he added 2 letters i believe. the W and the second A. He mentioned forgetting acronyms so we can guess that one of those 2 are acronyms. Also the other one he added to make the wording more proper. That means that it is probably a helping verb that was added so it didn't sound stupid. This is seems even more true when you consider that one of the 2 added letters is the second letter of the whole phrase.

If the W was the helping verb (which it probably is since the first word im guessing is I and i dont see how you can throw an acronym right after the word I) then the words that immediately come to mind are

was, were, or would. Were wouldn't make sense if the first word is infact I (although it might not be but i think its a safe guess)

if the A were a helping verb (which i think is less likely) then i think it would have to be are since am can only come after the word I.

Acronyms i got no help for you there other than i think its an acronym that starts with an A perhaps asap tho idk.

Haha i felt like being Sherlock Holmes for a second guys (big time fan btw). I could be wrong but Susa tell me if my speculation is correct if you would.

Anyway if i were try and solve this (which i have no time) those are the steps i would take first.

SuSa

Somewhat correct. You forgot "will" as a contraction and I meant contraction not acronyms.

Man, how many times can I fail posting an acronym? =[

Anyways for those who are curious.

I will actually think about coming back if Tristadez formally apologizes for having argued against my intelligence whether informallly or not.

Original:
I'll actually think coming back if Tristadez formally apologizes for having argued against my intelligence whether informally or not.

Yep....

Judo777

Smash Master
Somewhat correct. You forgot "will" as a contraction and I meant contraction not acronyms.

Man, how many times can I fail posting an acronym? =[

Anyways for those who are curious.

I will actually think about coming back if Tristadez formally apologizes for having argued against my intelligence whether informallly or not.

Original:
I'll actually think coming back if Tristadez formally apologizes for having argued against my intelligence whether informally or not.

Yep....
Well piss i did forget will. I thought you might have meant contraction but i had to take what you said at face value for my deduction. Which on of those is a contraction tho i don't see one. I had to edit to not spoil it for others.

Top Bottom