• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
But, again, to each his own.:grin:
stick around for a bit man, we need a good argument. And who knows maybe we'll change your mind.
Well since you asked so kindly, I'll be frank about my thoughts Snake before the final roster was shown. :) To tell you all the truth, I thought everyone from Brawl would return when Smash 4 was announced in 2011. I figured Konami would want to port MGSV to the Wii U and both companies would want to promote the game like cool mario bros said. Not to mention the 3DS version would have a stage based on MGS3D. But I started having doubts once I saw Konami showing no support for the Wii U and as time went on, I was thinking his chances of returning was diminishing. That's why I wasn't surprised to see he was cut.

On a not-so related topic. I think it'd would be cool if MGSIV was remade on the Wii U. Imagine managing weapons with the GamePad or viewing the MK II on it too. Maybe in one of Snake's flashbacks on Shadow Moses Island, you could see portions of the "Snake joins Brawl" trailer and Snake has a "did I really do that?" expression.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I just gotta comment on this image...who the hell edited those first two? Haha, the first is the mgs3d snake render with an in game image of the young snake face camo plastered over his head. And the second is just old snakes face (sans the mustache and grey hair) on johnny sasaki's body. Nothing huge but it bugs me that someone put those together and how visually off they appear, apologies if your the artist of that though bro.
I didn't make it, I found it on IGN a few months back. I don't remember exactly where though. :c

Reminds me of the MGS documentary posted many pages back where Sakurai outright appeared.

Like, why cut him?

:c
I expect Snake turning up near the release of Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom pain whenever that gets release.

I really doubt Nintendo would go through the trouble of licensing just bring back one character who's universe was cut and leave everything else behind.
Nintendo went through the "legal hoops" to add Rayman into the game so a lot of people are lining up to see him as a...trophy?

Isn't Kojima going to release a world premiere trailer for Phantom Pain's iteration of Metal Gear Online this Friday at the professionally acclaimed VGX Video Game Awards? I could definitely imagine a scenario where there'd be a reveal trailer for Snake.
I imagine him showing off a trailer of Metal Gear Online, maybe a Wii U version of it and...nothing else.

Why y u do dis Kojima? :(

Snake only got in as a favor.
Didn't Sakurai set a criteria for Third-Party characters prior to Snake's reveal?
Snake doesn't meet the criteria that has set?
My recollection of Sakurai had 4 criteria at GDC 08 that all characters must observe in order to be considered for being added:

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

This is infinitely harder than you and I think, because we are so jaded by our own perspective. I would insist that Viewtiful Joe would be the best character ever, but I'm not sure people would really want the game more. Neither of us would have ever thought of ROB, and yet "ROBOT" was the CROWD FAVORITE by FAR in the GDC matches the CAs had. Everyone loved him! We as gamers are way too biased to make this decision easily.

2. The character must be unique.

The character must have identifying features and abilities that would make them different from existing characters, so that they add something to the game.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

The character obviously has to be able to fit into the framework of how smash works, obviously L Block would not work. (My example, not his.)

4. They must contribute to the game balance.

Everyone has to fit together. Every new character must counter some characters and be countered by others, and they must fit in one giant contiguous mesh.
No, in the end it depends on whether or not Kojima and/or Sakurai want him to return. Nintendo was already somewhat against it last time (because Snake "felt like a Sony character"), but because Sakurai was the director of the game he was able to make it happen.

Here's a quote from Kojima: http://nintendoeverything.com/kojima-discusses-how-snake-made-it-into-super-smash-bros-brawl/
Disclaimer: While I am Biased for Snake to return, my only goal in this essay is to try and shead some light on the facts and help develop peoples arguments.

Snake's return in Smash is one of the most debated topics about the game. As with any debate, there are two sides to this argument.

Pro Snake Side:
-Snake is a unique character
-Snake is popular among smashers
-Snake is a Smash Icon
-Snake will return unless Sakurai and/or Kojima says so

Anti Snake Side:
-Snake isn't a Nintendo Character
-Snake is out of place
-Snake advertises for the competition

From what I've read, the anti side seems to making a more logical argument. However, one thing I think they have failed to noticed is that their argument could be the very reason why snake returns.

SSBB was released before the release of MGS4, so the MGS franchise within Smash contained multiple element from all of their games, but most predominantly the yet-to-be released MGS4 (ex. Gekko appearing on Shadow Moses). So nevertheless Konami was advertising through Smash, and Snake became a popular character, not just because of his competitive viability, but because of his unique and entertaining play style. As gamers like myself played the character, they got attached to him and wanted to know more about him. They would look him up, and learn not just about Snake, but the whole MGS Franchise. And MGS is one of the best series of games I have ever played. It one of those games were once you pick it up, you can't put it back down.

However the opposite is also true. Snake also appeals to gamers who already like MGS beforehand, and they might start taking an interest in Smash, and may lead them to get addicted to all the other games franchises within, such as the Legend of Zelda or Metroid. This in turn generates profit for Nintendo.

So now we have a a group of gamers who not only love Smash, but also MGS. An as Eddybear asked earlier in this thread (Page 4, post #136) "If Snake wasn't included, would it be a dealbreaker for buying SSB4 for you?" These Smash/MGS fans now have to ask themselves, "Do I want to buy this $60 Smash game when I can just download Project M?" and potentially a $300 Wii U? (Let's face it, the Wii U isn't doing so hot right now).

So Nintendo now has to choices
1.) Advertise Snake and MGS and appeal to a good chunk of gamers who might not otherwise take interest in their games, but risk upping sales of their competition.
2.) Cut Snake and MGS and lose appeal to a chunk of gamers, but prevent advertising for our competition.

Snake's fate in SSB4 depends on a multitude of factors, such as what Nintendo sees on the most profitable decision and if there's enough push from the fans, but in the end, it is S
akurai's decision.
Last post since I don't want this to erupt into a flame war.
Dude, let's face it. If Snake was still important to come back, he would've been announced a long time ago. The fact he didn't just tells me he was not a high priority character at all nor did Konami care enough. He only got in as a favor for Kojima and nothing more. Would I be mad if Snake came back? Not at all, in fact I'd welcome it. But the odds for Snake aren't looking good right now and I wasn't surprised to see him cut.
Nobody like a negative Nancy, mmmkay? I doubt people receives any benefit in life from negativity.

If they are going to do more dlc, who else can they add? The other cuts are viewed as possible, yet they were probably on a low priority list. But for some reason snake is an exception? It's possible for him to be dlc when deciding in the future. I don't think he's impossible like most others make him out to be.
There is always King K Rool, Isaac, Elma, Fiora, Melia, Krystal, Inklings, Bandana Dee, Pious Augustus, and others.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
@ Pallex Pallex I have already mentioned earlier that Rayman got in as a trophy because Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think I remember reading Ubisoft wanted Rayman to appear in Smash Bros as a PC, but there wasn't enough time so a trophy for Rayman was made instead. Kojima outright said he requested Snake to be in Smash because he plays(ed?) Smash with his son.He wanted Snake to appear in Melee, but there wasn't enough time for that Snake he got included in Brawl instead.

JAK21

Smash Cadet
I would like it if they did add snake into Smash for Wii U and 3DS, I would prefer the newest version of snake from Ground Zeroes/Phantom pains. Maybe even a different move set as I wasn't a big fan of the moves in Brawl.

My hopes as far as DLC go however are very slim. I know they are doing mewtwo as DLC if you have both versions for Wii U and 3 DS, but nothing really clear has been said about paid DLC. I remember reading an article on IGN where it was stated they didn't want to do any DLC because they didnt want fans feeling that they are unlocking content or didnt take the time to complete the game, then they stated the next day Mewtwo could be paid DLC.

If I truly see anything past Mewtwo in regard to DLC, I would be absolutely shocked.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I would like it if they did add snake into Smash for Wii U and 3DS, I would prefer the newest version of snake from Ground Zeroes/Phantom pains. Maybe even a different move set as I wasn't a big fan of the moves in Brawl.

My hopes as far as DLC go however are very slim. I know they are doing mewtwo as DLC if you have both versions for Wii U and 3 DS, but nothing really clear has been said about paid DLC. I remember reading an article on IGN where it was stated they didn't want to do any DLC because they didnt want fans feeling that they are unlocking content or didnt take the time to complete the game, then they stated the next day Mewtwo could be paid DLC.

If I truly see anything past Mewtwo in regard to DLC, I would be absolutely shocked.
There was an email by Nintendo about the Mew two dlc, it's planed to become a Paid DLC for those who can't purchase both 3ds and wii U versions, so paid DLC is a thing

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
What the hell!?!? My account decide to be and asshole and stop alerting me of the thread replies I missed and awesome debate as well! Ugh, well sorry about my inactivity.

I didn't make it, I found it on IGN a few months back. I don't remember exactly where though. :c

I expect Snake turning up near the release of Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom pain whenever that gets release.

Nintendo went through the "legal hoops" to add Rayman into the game so a lot of people are lining up to see him as a...trophy?

I imagine him showing off a trailer of Metal Gear Online, maybe a Wii U version of it and...nothing else.

Why y u do dis Kojima? :(

Didn't Sakurai set a criteria for Third-Party characters prior to Snake's reveal?
Snake doesn't meet the criteria that has set?
My recollection of Sakurai had 4 criteria at GDC 08 that all characters must observe in order to be considered for being added:

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

This is infinitely harder than you and I think, because we are so jaded by our own perspective. I would insist that Viewtiful Joe would be the best character ever, but I'm not sure people would really want the game more. Neither of us would have ever thought of ROB, and yet "ROBOT" was the CROWD FAVORITE by FAR in the GDC matches the CAs had. Everyone loved him! We as gamers are way too biased to make this decision easily.

2. The character must be unique.

The character must have identifying features and abilities that would make them different from existing characters, so that they add something to the game.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

The character obviously has to be able to fit into the framework of how smash works, obviously L Block would not work. (My example, not his.)

4. They must contribute to the game balance.

Everyone has to fit together. Every new character must counter some characters and be countered by others, and they must fit in one giant contiguous mesh.

Nobody like a negative Nancy, mmmkay? I doubt people receives any benefit in life from negativity.

There is always King K Rool, Isaac, Elma, Fiora, Melia, Krystal, Inklings, Bandana Dee, Pious Augustus, and others.
Wow, that post was from page 6, back when I was KirbyKamikazi. That was my first post on the thread. I thought nobody read that far back. Nice to know someone cares.

@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Where is this MGS documentary?

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Where is this MGS documentary?

This was made after MGS4's release.

And that's Sakurai, right there.

Like.

WHY.

WHY DID YOU CUT HIM.

P.S: If the specific time link is broken for whatever reason, skip to 4:23.

P.S.S: And turn on the damn subtitles.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

This was made after MGS4's release.

And that's Sakurai, right there.

Like.

WHY.

WHY DID YOU CUT HIM.

P.S: If the specific time link is broken for whatever reason, skip to 4:23.

P.S.S: And turn on the damn subtitles.
This doc looks awesome. I'm going to need to set aside a time block to watch it though. Where did you find it? Good God I'm dying on the inside why Sakurai why...

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Has anyone mentioned what Snake's alias on the Boxing Ring stage would be if he does come back as DLC?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Has anyone mentioned what Snake's alias on the Boxing Ring stage would be if he does come back as DLC?
Soldier of Fortune is the one I think is most possible, but it's also the one I most like. There is also "The man who make the impossible possible", but that's a little long.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I like "Soldier of Fortune" more though I was also thinking "Son of Big Boss" or even "Special Operations Soldier"

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This doc looks awesome. I'm going to need to set aside a time block to watch it though. Where did you find it? Good God I'm dying on the inside why Sakurai why...
Someone posted it here a long time ago and I just so happened to remember it existed.

"Enfant Terrible"

Or if Snake is based on Big Boss:

"The Punished"

"The Legendary Mercenary"

"Vic Boss"

It's all that I can think of.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
But those are all good though!
Majority of the titles are stupid like, "Blue Metal Hero" for megaman.
Think of something lame like that!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
But those are all good though!
Majority of the titles are stupid like, "Blue Metal Hero" for megaman.
Think of something lame like that!
rob's isnt stupid cuz it's canon

"Solid, Liquid, Gas"

"Out in Heaven"

"Biggest Boss"

I'm not being lame enough :seuss:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I'd be happy with "The One Who Kept You Waiting"

KazuhiraFiddle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sr.LightningBolt
Let's just hope this isn't coincidence.
Well at the very least it shows Nintendo has a perfectly fine relationship with Konami and Metal Gear.
The only question is when is a Nintendo Direct where they announce that theme for America and Snake as DLC?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I definitely think that MGS 3DS theme means something for Snake's return. It shows Konami and Nintendo's relationship is still alive to say the least.

Top Bottom