• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think in general a lot of the arguments that Snake detractors use are simply a means to justify their disliking toward a character they know little about. I would argue a lot of them haven't even played the series, because most people who have love Snake and would love him to be back in Smash. Otherwise they're Nintendo Purists, which are the worst kinds of people. Their arguments are bad.

"He's too realistic!"- My answer? :4myfriends::4lucina::4zss::4shulk::4marth:

"People won't recognize him!"- My answer? :4shulk:

"He isn't Nintendo enough!"- My answer? Has a new 3DS Snake Eater theme, had a Snake Eater 3DS released at one point, has had remakes on Nintendo consoles, and even has been IN SMASH BROS. BEFORE.

"He doesn't deserve it!" My answer? He deserves it more than most other 3rd party choices. Layton? Bayonetta? Really guys? Come on now.

"Metal Gear is too violent and it's rated M!"- My answer? If this mattered, why was he in Brawl in the first place? Nothing has changed, and clearly if it mattered Sakurai would have told Kojima "No". Not to mention it really isn't overly violent like some think.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
"He's too realistic!"- My answer? :4myfriends::4lucina::4zss::4shulk::4marth:
Some of those characters are technically anime-ish designs.

"He isn't Nintendo enough!"- My answer? Has a new 3DS Snake Eater theme, had a Snake Eater 3DS released at one point, has had remakes on Nintendo consoles, and even has been IN SMASH BROS. BEFORE.
To be fair, the 3DS theme alone isn't enough to show and justify that Konami and Nintendo have a great relationship.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
To be fair, the 3DS theme alone isn't enough to show and justify that Konami and Nintendo have a great relationship.
and to that i say..

---
and i think what jones meant about the anime-ish characters was that they dont look like the others at all, along with that their body proportions are far more realistic in that sense.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Some of those characters are technically anime-ish designs.

That wasn't the argument I was responding to. That was a response to "He isn't Nintendo enough!".

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Come to think of it, with the better hardware and the little "right stick" nub, MGS3D on the New 3DS would have been perfect.

I also just really want that MGS styled 3DS, except as a New 3DS.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
and to that i say..
A few strong indications of a third-party relationship is Nintendo helping out with things that are more than just publishing (Like Nintendo helping with the English-dubbing for the Layton games) and their franchise's games being mostly exclusive to Nintendo consoles and/or portables. That example you brought is unfortunately not a strong indication that they have a good relationship, many other companies have done that as well, notably the Persona Q 3DS that's coming soon.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
A few strong indications of a third-party relationship is Nintendo helping out with things that are more than just publishing (Like Nintendo helping with the English-dubbing for the Layton games) and their franchise's games being mostly exclusive to Nintendo consoles and/or portables. That example you brought is unfortunately not a strong indication that they have a good relationship.
Again though what does the relationship really mean in the end? Capcom really only supports nintendo with their VC games, which most of are on IOS as well, they arent bringing RE Revelations 2 to nintendo in any way, do we have any indication that they have a good relationship at this point? And nintendo isnt helping them publish any projects either. Konami honestly at this point doesnt have the man power to lend a hand to other development, its pretty apparent by how small their e3 booth was and how the only thing keeping them afloat is mgs, soccer games, and the new silent hill (with lords of shadow when it was around too).

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Didn't Miyamoto himself help with the Twin Snakes? If that isn't "close" with Nintendo, then I don't know what is.

The only other third party to share that distinction is Pac-Man, who we know Miyamoto requested back in Brawl.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Now I came to spill some beans,the question is:
"If Sakurai retires himself as a director from super smash bros series,do you think that snake chance would get hurt by the lack of partnership between Kojima and the new director?"

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
"If Sakurai retires himself as a director from super smash bros series,do you think that snake chance would get hurt by the lack of partnership of Kojima and the new director?"
IDK...But surely I don't see why, if Nintendo and Konami are in good relations, this new director would exclude Snake from the roster, just like Sonic, Pac-Man or Mega Man.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
"If Sakurai retires himself as a director from super smash bros series,do you think that snake chance would get hurt by the lack of partnership between Kojima and the new director?"

I doubt Sakurai will not be involved with the project, if he helps out with it but isn't director, Kojima could still come to him and they could probably get him in.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I've finally realized what the best part of Snake returning would be. His screen KO. I wan to see Snake's screen KO.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
It would depend entirely on who the new director was;however, without Sakurai most of the arguments for snake's inclusion would be crippled.

D

Deleted member

An important point to note is that if it weren't for Sakurai, Snake wouldn't have been in Brawl in the first place.
According to Kojima, Nintendo felt Snake was too much of a Sony character and didn't fit in Smash. It was through Sakurai that a consensus was reached and Snake got in.

With that in mind, Snake's odds at returning would actually plummet if Sakurai doesn't direct Smash in the future. Especially when Sakurai directing Wii U/3DS apparently wasn't enough to have Snake return then (not accounting for possible DLC).
Without his connection to Sakurai, Kojima wouldn't have much of a chance at getting Snake back in Smash.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
An important point to note is that if it weren't for Sakurai, Snake wouldn't have been in Brawl in the first place.
According to Kojima, Nintendo felt Snake was too much of a Sony character and didn't fit in Smash. It was through Sakurai that a consensus was reached and Snake got in.

With that in mind, Snake's odds at returning would actually plummet if Sakurai doesn't direct Smash in the future. Especially when Sakurai directing Wii U/3DS apparently wasn't enough to have Snake return then (not accounting for possible DLC).
Without his connection to Sakurai, Kojima wouldn't have much of a chance at getting Snake back in Smash.
Well, can't deny that. Unless of course, the next director is also a friend of kojima(hoping for Hideki Kamyia, his twitter feed would be golden if he was smash directer.)

But the thing is, why are we focusing on the next game now? What matters is smash dlc, his next best shot at making it back. We have to find his chances out there. And hopefully he returns.
But I will say this, if he doesn't make it back as dlc for this game, I don't think it's very likely he will in a future installment.(Assuming stuff like other vets being brought back except him and stuff.) Unless of course, dlc isn't directed by sakurai or isn't chosen by him and the next game is still being directed by him.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I hate it when people think that you have to lots of history with Nintendo to be a third party rep as opposed to being a ginormous video game character. This is why Pac Man got to be Namco's rep as opposed to something as utterly stupid like Lloyd.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
But the thing is, why are we focusing on the next game now? What matters is smash dlc, his next best shot at making it back. We have to find his chances out there. And hopefully he returns.
But I will say this, if he doesn't make it back as dlc for this game, I don't think it's very likely he will in a future installment.(Assuming stuff like other vets being brought back except him and stuff.) Unless of course, dlc isn't directed by sakurai or isn't chosen by him and the next game is still being directed by him.
I agree, and that goes without saying, its too early to be hoping for that in the next smash bros. Our best bet is DLC for this game at this point, and if not then, well thats something we will have to deal with when we cross that bridge. Although even though sakurai says he wont direct the next one, come on you know in 5 years iwata or whoever will announce it before sakurai is aware of it and he will probably end up folding up like a deck of cards to do it all over again.

It seems now we have to even deal with people using sakurai's absence from a future game as a mark against snake....it never ends does it?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I agree, and that goes without saying, its too early to be hoping for that in the next smash bros. Our best bet is DLC for this game at this point, and if not then, well thats something we will have to deal with when we cross that bridge. Although even though sakurai says he wont direct the next one, come on you know in 5 years iwata or whoever will announce it before sakurai is aware of it and he will probably end up folding up like a deck of cards to do it all over again.

It seems now we have to even deal with people using sakurai's absence from a future game as a mark against snake....it never ends does it?
Just like Kojima and his "This will be my last metal gear game" comments.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Konami honestly at this point doesnt have the man power to lend a hand to other development, its pretty apparent by how small their e3 booth was and how the only thing keeping them afloat is mgs, soccer games, and the new silent hill (with lords of shadow when it was around too).
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival

Original release date(s): for the Nintendo 3DS
  • JP December 5, 2013
  • NA September 25 2014
  • EU June 26, 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels

Original release date(s): for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3
  • EN March 26, 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Arena

Original release date(s): for the PC developed by Miniclip
  • EN May 30, 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V: Tag Force SP

Original release date(s): for the Playstation Portable
  • JP December 2014
New Loveplus +
  • JP March 27, 2014
Pro Baseball Spirits 2014
Original release date(s): March 20, 2014 on PS3, PSP and PS Vita

So if "keeping them afloat" means releasing new games using only Metal Gear, Pro Evolution Soccer, and Silent Hill IPs then your're dead wrong. They can have the "man power to lend a hand to other development" like old times when they made Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix and Mario Roulette for Nintendo but they need to get their act together first such as releasing Zone of the Enders 3, a new Snatcher, a new Poilcenauts and use the rest of their dormant IPs. At least I'm hoping for that to happen. :sadeyes:
Just like Kojima and his "This will be my last metal gear game" comments.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...nd-but-the-next-could-have-a-different-theme/
Oh look! Hideo Kojima is already discussing the next Metal Gear game. I doubt he'll ever quit.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Anyone else watching the VGAs tonight for the Metal Gear Online premiere? I'm so hyped right now for it.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Anyone else watching the VGAs tonight for the Metal Gear Online premiere? I'm so hyped right now for it.
I definitely am. Kiefer is going to be there as well, so that's certainly exciting. Hopefully we'll get something more than MGO, like a release date or announcement of a collector's edition.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
:snake:

It's not the best looking thing, but it's the best I could do. It fits better with the new icons than the old Brawl one, at least.

Here's hoping for the extremely off chance that Snake gets announced. Smash Wii U is releasing in Japan...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
:snake:

It's not the best looking thing, but it's the best I could do. It fits better with the new icons than the old Brawl one, at least.

Here's hoping for the extremely off chance that Snake gets announced. Smash Wii U is releasing in Japan...
Cool icons.

Then again, Mewtwo came completely out of nowhere during the Extravaganza. Anything can change happen!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Cool icons.

Then again, Mewtwo came completely out of nowhere during the Extravaganza. Anything can change happen!
I only made the one on the right, the one on the left is just the Brawl one for comparison.

:snake::mario2:
:snake::4mario:
:4mario:

Looks less out of place.
I actually just edited the MGS3D artwork of Big Boss to not have an eye patch, worked wonders.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I only made the one on the right, the one on the left is just the Brawl one for comparison.

:snake::mario2:
:snake::4mario:
:4mario:

Looks less out of place.
I actually just edited the MGS3D artwork of Big Boss to not have an eye patch, worked wonders.
Those are amazing! What's the code for it? It's okay, Solid is a clone of Big Boss anyway.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
KEIFER SUTHERLAND JUST APPEARED

HYPE

EDIT BLOODY HELL KOJIMMMMMMMMMAAAAA IS HEEEEEEERE

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival

• JP December 5, 2013
  • NA September 25 2014
  • EU June 26, 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels

Original release date(s): for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3
  • EN March 26, 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Arena

Original release date(s): for the PC developed by Miniclip
  • EN May 30, 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V: Tag Force SP

Original release date(s): for the Playstation Portable
  • JP December 2014
New Loveplus +
  • JP March 27, 2014
Pro Baseball Spirits 2014
Original release date(s): March 20, 2014 on PS3, PSP and PS Vita

So if "keeping them afloat" means releasing new games using only Metal Gear, Pro Evolution Soccer, and Silent Hill IPs then your're dead wrong. They can have the "man power to lend a hand to other development" like old times when they made Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix and Mario Roulette for Nintendo but they need to get their act together first such as releasing Zone of the Enders 3, a new Snatcher, a new Poilcenauts and use the rest of their dormant IPs. At least I'm hoping for that to happen. :sadeyes:
The Yugioh games are ones i overlooked, so I guess i played it down quite a bit ill admit in the way i phrased it, so your right in that regard. But as far as outside of japan the rest of what they produce has almost no advertising/marketing, and almost no presence in the larger gaming scene, which would lend credence that their biggest players are what makes them the most money (not all), and bring the most hype which is why they have all the focus. Although im sure if nintendo went to them with a game they wanted them to develop they would probably do it, i cant think of very many of their teams that would make nintendo take notice though. I agree they are sitting on a mountain of unused IP's, its practically criminal in some instances, i still want another goemon game myself.

At this point i dont think konami owes anything, their part of nintendo's history as much as capcom is. Its just on most cases people focus more on metal gear itself in relation to nintendo. Its got a decent amount of history on nintendo systems, especially considering there arent any where near as many metal gear games as the other third party series in smash bros.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I loved that big boss-ocelot selfie, awesome trailer! So hyped!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
For some reason seeing the new footage of Zelda U reminds me so much of MGSV.

Top Bottom