• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Well, our hopes were of no avail tonight. I was really hoping for at least a release date, though we all know what should have been announced instead.

I suppose now is a good time to post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ix1WjnIZM

On a lighter note, the Snake Eater 3DS theme certainly doesn't hurt Snake's chances -- it's actually enlightening to be honest. Sonic's the only third party character to have themes from what I've gathered, so to see a Metal Gear theme follow is rather shady; if there are other closer third parties to Nintendo, why didn't they release a theme before MGS? Snake Eater 3D released several years ago, which doesn't necessarily make it "relevant" compared to third party 3DS games released this year. The timing is too perfect for the MGS theme to be released now aside from it being the 10th anniversary of Snake Eater. Surely something is brewing between Konami and Nintendo given these circumstances.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
List of 3ds themes(not including the metal gear & sonic ones):
Jibanyan
Monter Hunter 4G Monster Engravings
Monster Hunter 4G Nya
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Mario Characters (Wood)
Mario Characters (Felt)
Black x White Border
Blayzbloo
NES series: Mario Jump
Hanafuda (Color)
Dot Black X White
Dot Gold x White
Animal Crossing (Town Hall)
Animal Crossing (Village Board)
Animal Crossing Crossing (Nookling Junction)
Animal Crossing Able Sisters (Mabel)
Animal Crossing Able Sisters (Sable)
Checkered Flag Black X White
Escape Adventure: Black Fog of Demise
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Stripe Pink X White
Stars Gold X Black
Stars Yellow X Purple
Simple Clear Color Set (Vol 1)
Simple Color Set (Vol 1)
Rosalina Round and Round
Mario Round and Round
Peach Round and Round
Bowser Round and Round
Plaid Aqua Blue
Mushroom Mushroom
Okiraku series Family Set
Large dot Blue x Yellow
Large Dot Green X Pink
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Reincarnation
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Red Mayfly
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Reminiscence
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Fog Clock
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Ao
Azure Striker Gunvolt Midori
Azure Striker Gunvolt Seven Swords
Azure Striker Gunvolt GV
So yeah, there are a few 3rd party ones like monster hunter and Azure Striker. But considering MGS3D is a 2 year old game I'm surprised it got a theme.

Also:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
List of 3ds themes(not including the metal gear & sonic ones):
Jibanyan
Monter Hunter 4G Monster Engravings
Monster Hunter 4G Nya
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Mario Characters (Wood)
Mario Characters (Felt)
Black x White Border
Blayzbloo
NES series: Mario Jump
Hanafuda (Color)
Dot Black X White
Dot Gold x White
Animal Crossing (Town Hall)
Animal Crossing (Village Board)
Animal Crossing Crossing (Nookling Junction)
Animal Crossing Able Sisters (Mabel)
Animal Crossing Able Sisters (Sable)
Checkered Flag Black X White
Escape Adventure: Black Fog of Demise
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Stripe Pink X White
Stars Gold X Black
Stars Yellow X Purple
Simple Clear Color Set (Vol 1)
Simple Color Set (Vol 1)
Rosalina Round and Round
Mario Round and Round
Peach Round and Round
Bowser Round and Round
Plaid Aqua Blue
Mushroom Mushroom
Okiraku series Family Set
Large dot Blue x Yellow
Large Dot Green X Pink
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Reincarnation
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Red Mayfly
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Reminiscence
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Fog Clock
Azure Striker Gunvolt Lumen Ao
Azure Striker Gunvolt Midori
Azure Striker Gunvolt Seven Swords
Azure Striker Gunvolt GV
So yeah, there are a few 3rd party ones like monster hunter and Azure Striker. But considering MGS3D is a 2 year old game I'm surprised it got a theme.

Also:

So the franchise with a playable character in Smash who has a 3DS theme is Super Mario, Yoshi, The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, Metal Gear, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I expected a bit more than that, I'm disappointed. :c

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So the franchise with a playable character in Smash who has a 3DS theme is Super Mario, Yoshi, The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, Metal Gear, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I expected a bit more than that, I'm disappointed. :c
They'll probably make more themes, so don't worry.

Personally wanting a F-Zero theme, even though I'll probably use the Metal Gear one.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
More themes are likely to come.

I'm still waiting on a Fire Emblem theme.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I guess it was too much to hope for a box to sneak up behind Kojima and Sakurai to pop out with Snake DLC.

...Did anyone else imagine that scenario? It's hilarious regardless.

Back to just waiting on Mewtwo.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I guess it was too much to hope for a box to sneak up behind Kojima and Sakurai to pop out with Snake DLC.

...Did anyone else imagine that scenario? It's hilarious regardless.

Back to just waiting on Mewtwo.
I can't imagine anything really, you can't predict what kojima would do.

I was also hoping for a release date, but we only got MGO(which was awesome btw)
I guess MGSV isn't coming out in spring, which means we're going to get a,*gulp*, Q4 or Q3 release. But I might be wrong.
Ah well, more time to save up for a playstation or xbox, but some of that money is going to be blown on xenoblade, zelda, and maybe devil's third.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
MGS3D got a theme? Cool! Even though I beat MGS3 with a friend's copy, I bought the game on my 3DS.

I'm still miffed they released it after the HD collection though.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Probably been asked before.
But what do you guys think is the reason for Sakurai not including Snake?

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
The younger audience, there is a whole bunch more younger kids who got SSB4 then in SSBB, Snake uses guns, he chokes for hitting people, grabs people by there necks, etc. He's basically a COD-like character but more bad***.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The ultra-maturity of Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain.

That image alone speaks volumes as to how serious(and scary) the next two Metal Gear games are becoming. Just some examples:

From Ground Zeroes:

-Skull Face's torture of Paz and Chico, including planting bombs in the former(the second in a disgusting place) and drilling screws in the latter's heels.
--You get to witness surgery without anesthetic on Paz to remove that first bomb.
-Camp Omega's not so subtle resemblance to Guantanamo Bay.
-Skull Face in general. He makes Volgin and Coldman look like cute puppies in comparison. VOLGIN AND COLDMAN.

From Phantom Pain:

-Miller mutilated by torture.
-Snake rubbing the ashes from one of the urns into his face. Let me re-iterate: Snake rubs the remains of a dead person onto his own face. Followed by the image above, his face covered IN BLOOD AND SURROUNDED BY FLAMES.
-And who knows what other horrors Phantom Pain will bring.

This I believe is the strongest reason.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Indeed, and its kinda funny that my two favorite franchises (zelda, and mgs) are entering the realm of open world next year. Its pretty awesome to say the least

Nearly brought a tear to my eye brother, nicely done.
The funny thing is that 3D Zelda is entering open-world gameplay where you can choose whatever you want to do except for plot-based stuff like in Assassin's Creed, GTA, and Saints Row? - SR2 was completely open except for story-based sidequests so, I don't know about the SR1 and SR3 onwards. 2D Zelda was always open-world beginning with the first title. Because Zelda is generally set in pre-Renaissance or a fantasy setting, this game reminds me of Dragon's Dogma since it's more action-y than the Elder Scrolls. The fact Zelda Wii U and Dragon's Dogma are both third-person games also helps.

Now I'm starting to wonder what an open-world Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong game would be like. 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy don't really count since there are instances or levels and very few levels take place in the hub. I can imagine what an open-world Mario Kart and F-Zero because of the open-world Need For Speed and Burnout games. I can also see what an open-world Star Fox game would be like because of Star Citizen and partly because of Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time's spaceship gameplay.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
The ultra-maturity of Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain.

That image alone speaks volumes as to how serious(and scary) the next two Metal Gear games are becoming. Just some examples:

From Ground Zeroes:

-Skull Face's torture of Paz and Chico, including planting bombs in the former(the second in a disgusting place) and drilling screws in the latter's heels.
--You get to witness surgery without anesthetic on Paz to remove that first bomb.
-Camp Omega's not so subtle resemblance to Guantanamo Bay.
-Skull Face in general. He makes Volgin and Coldman look like cute puppies in comparison. VOLGIN AND COLDMAN.

From Phantom Pain:

-Miller mutilated by torture.
-Snake rubbing the ashes from one of the urns into his face. Let me re-iterate: Snake rubs the remains of a dead person onto his own face. Followed by the image above, his face covered IN BLOOD AND SURROUNDED BY FLAMES.
-And who knows what other horrors Phantom Pain will bring.

This I believe is the strongest reason.
If Snake ever gets in, do you expect the MSG4 version or the same old one? I kinda prefer the old one, not really a fan of eye patches imo.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If Snake ever gets in, do you expect the MSG4 version or the same old one? I kinda prefer the old one, not really a fan of eye patches imo.
I'd honestly expect the old one, but at the end of the day I won't care because it's Snake.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
DLC isnt rated by the esrb, so snake dlc wouldn't affect the rating.

Just keep snake the way he was in brawl, don't change him to match mgsv. He was perfectly fine in brawl. Keeping him behind a paywall would keep the youngsters from being able to use him and get exposed and stuff. I doubt fighting him online would have a greater influence than playing as snake.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Probably mentioned this before, but I assume Snake being in Brawl was just meant a one-time favor for Kojima since the two are very close friends and because Kojima wanted Snake in Melee but never got the chance due to its late development. I don't think either one expected Snake to be a staple series character after Brawl.

I remember joking before "how is Kojima going to break it to his son that Snake won't be back in Smash 4? His son is the reason why Snake got included in the first place. Sakurai you're such a heartless jerk."

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Total side note - I've never played Snake Eater but always kinda wanted to. Is the 3DS remake a good way to play it for the first time?

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Total side note - I've never played Snake Eater but always kinda wanted to. Is the 3DS remake a good way to play it for the first time?
If you don't have MGS2 or PW already, then you're better off getting MGS HD collection. I personally recommend using the Circle Pad Pro for MGS3D.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Probably mentioned this before, but I assume Snake being in Brawl was just meant a one-time favor for Kojima since the two are very close friends and because Kojima wanted Snake in Melee but never got the chance due to its late development. I don't think either one expected Snake to be a staple series character after Brawl.

I remember joking before "how is Kojima going to break it to his son that Snake won't be back in Smash 4? His son is the reason why Snake got included in the first place. Sakurai you're such a heartless jerk."
I don't think that this is the case. Sakurai once stated that create Snake's moveset was really hard, because he had to chose wisely which weapons Snake must use. And, even if the whole thing started as a favour to a friend, the community was really happy of Snake. He was also liked from competitive gamers and, last but not least, during an Iwata Asks the President himself said the he has enjoyed Snake ans Sonic inclusion...

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'd prefer Snake as well, but come on...
FIrst of all, if you read my entire post, I said that Simon would be a terrible choice in comparison to Snake, who is not only more well-known, but has been in Smash before. Secondly, the quote in your message wasn't in my original post. Where did you even get that quote from?

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I don't really get the need for a Simon vs. Snake war. Both have a hell of a lot going for them - personally, I couldn't tell you which one I'd want more, and if both got in I would be extremely happy. Ultimately it mostly comes down to who Konami would be more willing to sign off on, and we can't really control that.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that this is the case. Sakurai once stated that create Snake's moveset was really hard, because he had to chose wisely which weapons Snake must use. And, even if the whole thing started as a favour to a friend, the community was really happy of Snake. He was also liked from competitive gamers and, last but not least, during an Iwata Asks the President himself said the he has enjoyed Snake ans Sonic inclusion...
That doesn't really negate what I said about Snake just being a one-time favor for Kojima. Sakurai adding Snake in Brawl was a huge favor for Kojima, yes, but doesn't mean he's obligated to bring him back every time just because they're friends. If Snake returning in SSB4 was that important to both of them, he would've been in a long time ago. As I recall, the character roster was finalized sometime around 2012. Only time will tell to see what happens.

Yep, here's the article that pretty much confirms it.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
That doesn't really negate what I said about Snake just being a one-time favor for Kojima. Sakurai adding Snake in Brawl was a huge favor for Kojima, yes, but doesn't mean he's obligated to bring him back every time just because they're friends. If Snake returning in SSB4 was that important to both of them, he would've been in a long time ago. As I recall, the character roster was finalized sometime around 2012. Only time will tell to see what happens.

I think you missed my point. I haven't said (or, at least, wanted to say) that Snake wasn't a favour to Kojima. Probably it was intended to be just a one-time joke, but my point is that Sakurai isn't obligate (or better, supposed) to bring him back JUST for his friendship, but because for how well Snake was accepted in Brawl from everyone (even from Iwata). And I want to point out that if we still have Captain Falcon and (especially) Ness is because for how they are loved in the Smash community. If they weren't accepted from the beginning, they would have cut them ages ago.
My point is, doesn't matter if he was AT THE BEGINNING a favour to Kojima, and that reason ALONE isn't enough for cut such an unique character. There must be something else...

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I think you missed my point. I haven't said (or, at least, wanted to say) that Snake wasn't a favour to Kojima. Probably it was intended to be just a one-time joke, but my point is that Sakurai isn't obligate (or better, supposed) to bring him back JUST for his friendship, but because for how well Snake was accepted in Brawl from everyone (even from Iwata). And I want to point out that if we still have Captain Falcon and (especially) Ness is because for how they are loved in the Smash community. If they weren't accepted from the beginning, they would have cut them ages ago.
My point is, doesn't matter if he was AT THE BEGINNING a favour to Kojima, and that reason ALONE isn't enough for cut such an unique character. There must be something else...
Erm I'm pretty sure that is the reason. As said above, I don't think either one intended for Snake to be a staple series after Brawl otherwise he would've been in already. What reason do you think Snake was cut for?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
View attachment 32068

Yet I see nothing, though...
Oh, I 've just cheked. It is all an huge error. I wanted to quote a post, but I quoted your. And after seeing it, I've cut the wrong quote and put the right one. And I remembered this little incident just now, after seeing the time I've post that message...
Excuse me, it was all my fault.

Erm I'm pretty sure that is the reason. As said above, I don't think either one intended for Snake to be a staple series after Brawl otherwise he would've been in already. What reason do you think Snake was cut for?
Maybe for keep the game rating at E and not T as Brawl/Melee (this is also why they cut Tharja Trophy and obscured Peach's underdress). ERSB can be strange sometimes, and they could have considered Snake too violent, and Nintendo decided to cut him (maybe for put himafter release as a DLC, where ERSB can't say much).

Maybe Nintendo and Konami haven't decided who had to voice Snake. Nintendo probably wasn't able to afford a big name as Sutherland (with all the other things to pay in Smash creation) and Konami didn't wanted Hayter... maybe because of the whole theory that Hayter will voice Solid in MGSV etc. etc. avoid spoilers etc. etc.

Maybe Nintendo wasn't able to afford once again Snake. With a big game like MGSV is, the price for use his name is surely bigger than Mega Man or Pac-Man.

These are just theories (A GAME...) but IMO are more believable than "Snake was just a one-time thing".

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Go for it. When you get to peace walker you'll be prepped for it due to the added mechanics in the 3ds version.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

On the topic of the roster, Sakurai noted that the 3DS version of the game, with its hardware’s technical limitations, would likely keep the volume of the roster in check, though no characters had been cut so far
This was back in 2013. I mean, he didn't return now, but he had him might have him planned. Probably not a "one time thing".

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Exactly he "might have" or "might have not". I'm not entirely convinced Snake was conceived when the roster was finalized, but in in the end, it's all the speculation.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Exactly he "might have" or "might have not". I'm not entirely convinced Snake was conceived when the roster was finalized, but in in the end, it's all the speculation.
Yeah, but if he didn't plan snake, then it makes that statement a total lie.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Maybe for keep the game rating at E and not T as Brawl/Melee (this is also why they cut Tharja Trophy and obscured Peach's underdress). ERSB can be strange sometimes, and they could have considered Snake too violent, and Nintendo decided to cut him (maybe for put himafter release as a DLC, where ERSB can't say much).
Snake was not the reason that Brawl was rated T, Melee was also rated T with no Snake in sight. One of the MGS games even had an E rating, so there's absolutely no reason to think that an ESRB rating has anything to do with Snake being gone.

Top Bottom