• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hmm...

That article said:
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is finally getting a downloadable release in Japan. Konami announced today that the digital version will be available on December 16 for 4,500 yen.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Original release date(s):
  • JP December 16, 2004
Oh you, Konami. Interestingly, a lot of Metal Gear stuff came out in December:

-----------------------------------------

Metal Gear

Original release date(s):[15]
  • JP December 22, 1987
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Original release date(s):[37][38]
  • JP December 21, 2006
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence <-----Moar MGS3
Original release date(s):[30][56]
  • JP December 22, 2005
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Original release date(s):[53][54][55]
  • JP December 19, 2002
If Snake were teased in Smash this month I would not be surprised at all. Let's begin hoping!

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Hmm...

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Original release date(s):
  • JP December 16, 2004
Oh you, Konami. Interestingly, a lot of Metal Gear stuff came out in December:

-----------------------------------------

Metal Gear

Original release date(s):[15]
  • JP December 22, 1987
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Original release date(s):[37][38]
  • JP December 21, 2006
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence <-----Moar MGS3
Original release date(s):[30][56]
  • JP December 22, 2005
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Original release date(s):[53][54][55]
  • JP December 19, 2002
If Snake were teased in Smash this month I would not be surprised at all. Let's begin hoping!
All aboard the hype train!!! Next stop, shattered dreams avenue!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I start Winter Break from college next week. WHICH MEANS MORE TIME TO WORK ON THE SNAKE CAMPAIGN! BOOYAH.

Anyway, that 3DS thing is incredibly interesting and random. I don't know what kind of series have gotten themes, but that seems like something big considering the arguments Snake detractors use. Not that they actually held water in the first place. I just might have to tweet that at Sakurai just to do it and put it in his face. We need campaign vids too...

Maybe I can make one. I don't have software to do any sort of podcast, but a friend of mine does. Maybe I can do something like that...

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I hope they put Metal Gear Ghost babel (I think that's the name of it, the Game boy one) on the E-Shop, the way you guys talk about it makes me want it, who do you play as? Solid Snake? Or Big Boss? Or some one else?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I hope they put Metal Gear Ghost babel (I think that's the name of it, the Game boy one) on the E-Shop, the way you guys talk about it makes me want it, who do you play as? Solid Snake? Or Big Boss? Or some one else?
Without a doubt Solid Snake. Solid Snake was already in Brawl and he seems to fit smash better than BB. However can both fit as alt.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
You play as solid snake in ghost babel, but it's an alternate timeline without shadow Moses but a very similar situation none the less.

Id love to see a top down mgs on 3ds like babel, I'd been wanting a remake of the originals like that too, but I'll take what I can get new or old.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ghost Babel on VC would shut up everyone saying Konami isn't supporting Snake/3DS/Nintendo itself.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
We need a sequel to ghost babel, the ending is fantastic,but it leaves more room for more story, we need to know more about Gardner and Parker.
Ghost Babel on VC would shut up everyone saying Konami isn't supporting Snake/3DS/Nintendo itself.
Konami has started putting out MSX and pc engine games for wii u and 3ds VC, but for some reason, still no metal gears 1 & 2!
So I start Winter Break from college next week. WHICH MEANS MORE TIME TO WORK ON THE SNAKE CAMPAIGN! BOOYAH.

Anyway, that 3DS thing is incredibly interesting and random. I don't know what kind of series have gotten themes, but that seems like something big considering the arguments Snake detractors use. Not that they actually held water in the first place. I just might have to tweet that at Sakurai just to do it and put it in his face. We need campaign vids too...

Maybe I can make one. I don't have software to do any sort of podcast, but a friend of mine does. Maybe I can do something like that...
At the moment all I've heard is sonic and nintendo franchises have themes. I'll look more into it, later.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The theme is cool, but it's not exactly something that could completely redefine Snake's chances.
It does damage the "konami and nintendo don't get along" argument though, hence why we are all excited.

Also the theme is badass and needs to come the U.S.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As much as I like the Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D theme, I'm not gonna get that one. I'm very happy with the Rosalina theme on my 3DS.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

Nah, get whipped, son.

But I actually think both would be cool. Even though it'll never happen.

Personally, while the overall roster is great, there was some terrible choices of characters, such as Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., Shulk, Dr. Mario, and Duck Hunk Dog. We lost so many great characters for these bad ones, such as Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Snake. Frankly, I've never heard of Simon Belmont and Solid Snake is a more well known than Simon, which like you said

Even though it'll never happen.
It's not so much a case of Simon being a bad choice, but being a far inferior choice to Snake, a character who introduced a unique play-style and amazing presence to Smash Bros. While I'm overall satisfied with the roster, I felt Sakurai choose quantity over quality this time and would hate to see him repeat this mistake with Simon.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And apparently the stereotype of Nintendo fans not knowing third parties, especially REALLY FAMOUS THIRD PARTIES WHO HAVE AS MUCH HISTORY WITH NINTENDO AS MEGAMAN IF NOT MORE is true.

Regardless, Simon would be neat.

But only after Snake.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
How would you react if we got Simon Belmont instead of Snake as the DLC Konami representative?
Would be salty actually

Though im confident it will be snake. He is a veteran, would be easier to make.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I would be disappointed by, yet again, another poor roster choice.
I would embed Snake's "don't be weird" quote, but I dunno how to embed stop times on a YouTube video.

Like I said a week or so ago, Simon is pretty much an NES icon like Megaman, and a deserving character for Smash, so it wouldn't exactly be a poor choice. (even though I've never been too interested in Castlevania)
But Snake comes first.

Right click the video display while paused.

"Get video URL at current time"

CRTL+C

Profit.
That embeds only the start time.
I want both the start time and the stop time.

-----

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I would embed Snake's "don't be weird" quote, but I dunno how to embed stop times on a YouTube video.

Like I said a week or so ago, Simon is pretty much an NES icon like Megaman, and a deserving character for Smash, so it wouldn't exactly be a poor choice. (even though I've never been too interested in Castlevania)
But Snake comes first.

That embeds only the start time.
I want both the start time and the stop time.

-----
What do you mean weird? Is it wrong not to want a character in Smash, especially when it would hurt your favourite's chances?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Given the choice, I would rather have Simon than Snake. Both is, of course, the ideal.

D

Deleted member

Right click the video display while paused.

"Get video URL at current time"

CRTL+C

Profit.
I have now learned something useful for the future.
No longer will I post videos while telling people to go to a specific time.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Although VC release would be nice, I'd perfer it if they went all out and made a 3DS remake based on Ghost Babel. An exclusive would really help with the un-Nintendo debate.

You know, I've been thinking. Every time I watch the trailers for MGS:V, I get excited but at the same time also feel that the MGS series is becoming a bit too dificult for the light-to-middle crowd. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the way MGS is taking but I don't want it to wane down in sales either, like a lot of franchises did during the PS2-PS3 era. While Peace Walker was light enough for the more casuals (PW definately helped to bring in newcomers to the franchise, at least in Japan anyway) but I think there could be more light stuff, as long as it dosen't clash with the mainstream titles.

What I want to say is, what would you think if they made a whole line of lighter spinoffs based on Ghost Babel, to target to a wider audience? Have the game design more simple by bringing it back to MGS2,(MGS1 would be a little stiff) add some flashy visuals (You know, like Hollywood) to make the game more appealing to the eye, etc. And if it you're going to reach out to the casuals, then why not have the game on the most casual-friendly console, the 3DS? I thought it was a pretty good idea. What do you guys think?

On a unrelated note, if Snake comes back, which one do you think will come? Solid, or Naked?

KazuhiraFiddle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sr.LightningBolt
Although VC release would be nice, I'd perfer it if they went all out and made a 3DS remake based on Ghost Babel. An exclusive would really help with the un-Nintendo debate.

You know, I've been thinking. Every time I watch the trailers for MGS:V, I get excited but at the same time also feel that the MGS series is becoming a bit too dificult for the light-to-middle crowd. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the way MGS is taking but I don't want it to wane down in sales either, like a lot of franchises did during the PS2-PS3 era. While Peace Walker was light enough for the more casuals (PW definately helped to bring in newcomers to the franchise, at least in Japan anyway) but I think there could be more light stuff, as long as it dosen't clash with the mainstream titles.

What I want to say is, what would you think if they made a whole line of lighter spinoffs based on Ghost Babel, to target to a wider audience? Have the game design more simple by bringing it back to MGS2,(MGS1 would be a little stiff) add some flashy visuals (You know, like Hollywood) to make the game more appealing to the eye, etc. And if it you're going to reach out to the casuals, then why not have the game on the most casual-friendly console, the 3DS? I thought it was a pretty good idea. What do you guys think?

On a unrelated note, if Snake comes back, which one do you think will come? Solid, or Naked?
I'd say Solid seems like the best business decision, for familiarity's sake.
Though I don't think Naked is impossible.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We should get both Solid and Naked Snake through costumes.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And apparently the stereotype of Nintendo fans not knowing third parties, especially REALLY FAMOUS THIRD PARTIES WHO HAVE AS MUCH HISTORY WITH NINTENDO AS MEGAMAN IF NOT MORE is true.
Simon Belmont and Bomberman are definitely big enough video game icons as far as third-party characters go to make it into Smash based off their merits.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

A sequel to ghost babel would be welcomed, non cannon is a good way to continue solid snake's story.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Personally, while the overall roster is great, there was some terrible choices of characters, such as Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., Shulk, Dr. Mario, and Duck Hunk Dog. We lost so many great characters for these bad ones, such as Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Snake. Frankly, I've never heard of Simon Belmont and Solid Snake is a more well known than Simon, which like you said
Bowser Jr, Shulk, and DHD are not bad characters, I would personally rather have them over Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and even Snake (my second favorite Smash character).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
How would you react if we got Simon Belmont instead of Snake as the DLC Konami representative?
Disappointment.
Sonic is the most famous SEGA character.
Pac-Man is the most famous Bandai Namco character.
Mega Man is the most famous Capcom character.
And Snake is the most famous Konami character (while Simon Belmont isn't even the mascotte or the main character of the Castelvania franchise). Have anyody else behind him would be incorrect. And the "NES days" motivation can be used for Snake as well.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I would love to have simon belmont in smash bros, ive wanted him in there for a while because hes one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite series. But why must he be brought up in the same breath as snake so often? Im sure if nintendo asked konami would oblige, but then its hard to imagine them just forgoing one character in place of another from the same company when said previous character is bigger and already has most of the leg work done. Simon would be great, but konami knows where its bread and butter is, and it shows in their releases as of late. They are not interchangeable in the same way mega man isnt an easy swap out for Ryu, it more then likely would not go down like that. Of course ideally id like to have both, and sonic (sorry to his fans) can take a hike since he has brought the least amount to smash bros as a whole other then his icon status.

Snake is a great character because his series like mario had come from the same era, and his games have managed to stay as awesome and relevant today as they ever were. Due in part to their creators making sure they are in good hands, but also each series has evolved while still being what we knew them as to begin with. Konami has pretty much thrown castlevania out on its ass, with igarashi gone, and mercery steam moving onto other things, will they even give it the attention it deserves? Snake may not have the marketable mascot look many seem to associate with game characters, but his impact cannot be denied and that difference is what makes him a great contrast with the rest of this games cast. Simon while great, doesnt quite have that, sure hes legendary, but so are many other castlevania characters like alucard. Im just curious if they would make their own design for him if he was in smash bros, his design has never been consistent. What im trying to say is, while simon would be fantastic (even for the music alone), he should not be thrown around like he and snake are competing for spots, because the one that made it, made it for a reason. The only way i could see simon getting priority would be sakurai, since he seems to guide and base most of his character decisions on his past history or nostalgic parts of series, thus why little mac has more arcade influence then NES influence.

Top Bottom