• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm sure this has probably been posted here before, but an article from Famitsu about Snake's inclusion in Brawl was translated on the Source Gaming website. I figure it's at least worth a read, and maybe we'll be able to get something useful from it as far as Snake appearing as SSB4 DLC goes.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/solid-snake-joins-the-brawl-translation/
But, it’s not like there wasn’t much cheering. Each time a character appeared, there was a big uproar. However, Snake’s appearance was particularly remarkable.
I thought, “Is it over?”, but then that familiar codec sound played, and Snake appeared! Sakurai: It was like “WOOOOOO!” (Laughs)
Though, even if there is a sequel, we probably won’t see a surprise of that magnitude again. Because we included Snake, no matter who appears next, the players’ amazement will be slightly tempered, I think.
Wow, he admits the character resonated well with the audience, and the fact that no other character would amaze anyone as much as snake.(I think ryu might've if he wasn't leaked). He also seemed to like his inclusion as well.

Why isn't he in the game yet?

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
People say that a lot, but I highly doubt it's the T rating. America is the only place with an E10+ distinction, and everywhere else Smash 4 has the same rating as Brawl. They're not trying to satisfy only the ESRB. DLC does not effect a base game's rating either. Besides, I very much doubt Snake is the only thing in the entirety of Brawl that made the game rated T.

StormC

Smash Hero
It has nothing to do with being the sole factor, but being a potential factor nonetheless.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My money's on Konami being difficult to work with + worries about the game becoming T.
DLC isn't rated by the ESRB. So that worry is gone. Plus, Melee was rated T without the use of Snake so that's not a problem.

On Konami they've already shown interest for his inclusion in Sm4sh. The only left element keeping him out would be Nintendo whom didn't want him included in Brawl... That's the bad thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

An important thing to consider in that article:
Snake’s inclusion began when Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima came to me around the time Melee was being completed, and asked, “Please put Snake in!” That was the real trigger that started everything. However, we couldn’t bring Snake into the world of Smash Bros. with just Mr. Kojima’s and my wishes. We needed the cooperation of both Nintendo and Konami, and the approval of other people involved in order to make it happen.
Much like I suspected, Snake's inclusion in Smash factors more than just Sakurai and Kojima.

So, we know Kojima (whose voice sadly isn't as strong as it once was on this) supports the idea of Snake's return.
We know Konami in general is all for it.
We can only assume Sakurai would have no problem with Snake coming back.

.....what about Nintendo?
We know from Kojima's statements that the higher ups at Nintendo thought Snake felt like a Sony character and didn't want him in Brawl. It was through Sakurai that a consensus was reached so Snake could be included.
Maybe the question that should be asked is "Is Nintendo the reason he didn't come back into Smash?"

EDIT: And of course, I was ninja'd due to showering before finishing my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
DLC isn't rated by the ESRB. So that worry is gone. Plus, Melee was rated T without the use of Snake so that's not a problem.

On Konami they've already shown interest for his inclusion in Sm4sh. The only left element keeping him out would be Nintendo whom didn't want him included in Brawl... That's the bad thing.
Source on Nintendo not wanting Snake in Brawl?

Also, KonamI naturally wants their free advertisement in the game. The bigger issue is being cooperative during development, which Konami and Sega were not so much during Brawl.

Adding third-party characters should be considered a very special case. In the last game, when we added Sonic and Snake, there were lots of different hoops to jump through as far as getting approvals and making sure all the parties involved were happy with the way things went.
Comparatively, Capcom was very cooperative with Mega Man, which probably explains Ryu.

As to why Sonic returned but not Snake? My guess is Sakurai wanted to respect the wishes of the fans who wanted Sonic in Brawl, and Sega collaborating more with Nintendo since Brawl.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Man, the head shrapnel bums me out. Big B had such a sexy face. Robo arm bums me out too.

He looked so good in GZ, but then Paz had to go and ruin everything.
Actually, I don't believe Big Boss' shrapnel is caused from Paz as you so say.

Can you take at this picture:

There is no shrapnel in Big Boss' head after the explosion. That means that the shrapnel becomes lodged in Big Boss' head after he fell into his coma and most likely before he awakes from the coma. Now that raises the question of how the shrapnel got there to begin with.

My personal theory is that Skull Face discovers that a helicopter managed to escape from MSF, and begins to track down Big Boss. During the 9 years, Kaz forms Diamond Dogs, and tries their best to keep Big Boss' location from being discovered. They will have some successes, and other times not so much. Big Boss could have easily lost his arm after the explosion instead of during the explosion. Perhaps Skull Face found Big Boss at least once before his hospital is under attack in TPP, and destroyed that hospital as well. I'd like to think that a bomb was placed near Big Boss' bed and the shrapnel comes from particular explosion.

I might have gotten a bit off track, but I think that the shrapnel comes from Skull Face hunting down Big Boss' location and attempting to kill him numerous times following the events of Ground Zeroes, with him losing his left arm and gaining a horn too in the process. And the horn will be gone by the end of the game, or at least almost gone. His body is pushing it out, just like it would a splinter. The latest trailer is proof of that, and it is the only logical, non MGS logic answer.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I figured that trailer was showing an earlier point when the shrapnel first got lodged in there, and that it had been cut/sanded down from that. I do hope it goes away at some point though. That thing is a huge liability. He turns his head wrong and clonks it on something, bam, brain damage. And it needs to come out for images of him in past games to look right, since he was never shown having it. Plus he'd just plain look better.

Interesting theory though. I'm curious to see how it actually happens. It's my biggest burning question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't speak for everyone, but the one who was in Smash before; Solid.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm more a fan of Solid, but if we could get BB as an alt. I would totally be for it!

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Solid Snake with Big Boss gear as alt. That way, a Smash veteran returns. (For bonus points, I wish he'd be identified as Solid Snake to clear up minor issues on which Snake it is.)

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I figured that trailer was showing an earlier point when the shrapnel first got lodged in there, and that it had been cut/sanded down from that. I do hope it goes away at some point though. That thing is a huge liability. He turns his head wrong and clonks it on something, bam, brain damage. And it needs to come out for images of him in past games to look right, since he was never shown having it. Plus he'd just plain look better.

Interesting theory though. I'm curious to see how it actually happens. It's my biggest burning question.
Addressing one thing you said, it had been cut/sanded down. I personally think that is impossible with the context of the picture I provided. That was Kaz and Big Boss in a hospital immediately following the events of the explosion and helicopter crash. The part that was circled in the picture I showed last time, that showed no metal, and only one of BB's hairs. How could it be cut/sanded down if thats when are first getting medical treatment? The hospital staff is trying to save Big Boss's life, Kaz even thought he might be dying. They wouldn't cut that metal out of his head first, then try to save his life.

Of course I could be entirely wrong.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I hope we get Snake from MGS2. No not the brown haired guy with the bandana. I hope we get that cool white haired Snake. Shame they went off and changed his name five minutes into his story.

./sarcasm

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, what the hell? They named his after the mortal kombat guy and he doesnt even have lightning powers!
Kojima is so uncool.

And then they turn him into a robocop...

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Hey guys. I've been mostly lurking on the Rayman thread, but I just want to come in and say that I would LOVE for Snake to come back. I would pay money to see Rayman fight against Snake.

Snake was probably the exclusion I was most bothered by. He's pretty unique as a fighter. Also, Nintendo shouldn't have to worry about Smash 4 being rated T since the ESRB doesn't rate DLC.
Snake and Rayman are the last third party characters that Smash 4 needs to have. It's just a shame they're from companies that don't have the best relationships with Nintendo.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Sorry for the double post, but do you guys think that Snake would be bundled with Shadow Moses Island if he was DLC?
Yup. Shadow Moses is as iconic as Super Mario Bros' level 1-1 for MG series. It is also a "veteran" stage, so it is easier to implement.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Sorry for the double post, but do you guys think that Snake would be bundled with Shadow Moses Island if he was DLC?
Yeah, if Ryu is anything to go by. Lucas and Roy already had series reps and stages from their universes in-game already so if Snake returns, he definitely would need to come with a stage to rep his series.

I wasn't a fan of Shadow Moses tbh, I'd opt for a new location

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I have another question:
Would you want Sakurai to change parts of Snake's moveset (Roy) or keep it the same (Mewtwo, Lucas)?
Personally, I feel as though Sakurai should give Snake some new taunts as well as change either change his down or front smash to something else entirely.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
I have another question:
Would you want Sakurai to change parts of Snake's moveset (Roy) or keep it the same (Mewtwo, Lucas)?
Personally, I feel as though Sakurai should give Snake some new taunts as well as change either change his down or front smash to something else entirely.
His moveset is fine, although I'd like for him to have two of his taunts replaced with new ones.

ExtDoc

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtDoctor
3DS FC
3626-0833-5755
Switch FC
SW-5883-4164-4801
I have another question:
Yeah, give him his Project M taunts.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of the Nikita Missle, I'd prefer that to be changed to something else, maybe a close range attack?
I'd love Shadow Moses to return.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hmmm....interesting information. Is that directly from Sakurai?

That's actually...REALLY interesting.

EDIT: Alright, I've read through it.

So as others have said, it's not Sakurai, it's not Kojima...and it probably isn't Konami.

*Glares at Nintendo angrily

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Not to mention that people don't do their research before posting things saying Snake might make the game Rated T when Melee was rated T without snake. I really do want snake to return as DLC, pls Sakurai make it happen ;;

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The conclusion from that interview? Nintendo hates money.

They're probably deciding what is worth bringing back. Let's hope Snake is worth it to them and Sackofrice.

Top Bottom