• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Did you miss the post where I tagged you to change a section of the OP?
I didn't, but I've been busy this morning with more schoolwork. I'm taking Summer graduate classes as an undergrad. After the Digital Event I'll get to it though!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Snake gets announced today...I will resign as a moderator and probably quite speculation.
Nooooooo

You're one of my favorite mods, man! When Snake gets a forum you can probably moderate that forum only!

Meanwhile I'm just overloaded with hype right now. Star Fox Zero was awesome, but now I'm on edge for a Wolf/Snake announcement and a possible F-Zero since it's the series' 25th. The suspense is killing me right now

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel kind of underwhelmed; the new Star Fox footage was great, but the vast majority of the digital event seemed like updating us on already-announced games as opposed to showing us something new. It didn't help that (unless I'm recalling it incorrectly) there was absolutely no third-party presence in the direct in terms of games, not even indie titles, which is a bit worrying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only absolutely new announcements were
-the two Zelda 3DS games (one of which had been leaked beforehand)
-Animal Crossing Party (which can only be played if you have amiibos; I'm sure those ones will be impossible to find)
-Mario Tennis
-Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario crossover
-a 3DS Metroid Prime spin-off

Maybe they're just treating this like any other Nintendo Direct, but it's not really a lot to get excited over.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't there gonna be a developer round table tonight? Don't lose hope just yet.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
> OP is updated
> That Digital Presentation was...awful. I love Mario and whatnot, but Star Fox was their only true Killer App for this E3. I am disappoint.
> Still no Snake, but I didn't really expect him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We kinda already have our 3rd party token character for E3 already though.
:4ryu:
We had Mega Man in 2013, Pac-Man in 2014, now Ryu in 2015.
I expect Snake to be revealed in later directs.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't completely expect him to be in Smash, not 99%, though he does have a good shot to get in the game with his veteran status and he could be revealed just like how Sonic was revealed in a non-E3 direct. Don't get the wrong idea. Maybe I went little too far with expecting.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Pretty meh conference, but some good stuff was shown (can't freaking wait for the new Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover). However, it was criminal they didn't announce anything after that 5 minute ending montage. That last bit felt like padding. I wasn't expecting Snake, but his announcement or ANYTHING after that would have been appreciated.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Man, this presentation just keeps making me hear Nuclear in my head. Sure it was terrible but there are still games to see. Stil..

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Garbade e3. Snake reveal would have made it better, but oh well.
My next prediction is a september direct, after MGSV is released,

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well brothers, another e3 gone and yet we still wait. Not that I expected anything more, but hope and the fight rages on. The ballots notice is our best chance at redemption, so until then the tweets and awareness will continue.

Until then we enjoy the new trailer

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The direct (along with the Cavs loss) made this day gloom for me. I want to know what went through Nintendo's mind when they made that. Even a Snake reveal wouldn't do anything among all of that, so I am somewhat glad he wasn't shown.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I contributed to the thread by sparking discussion. Yay!

I have to agree with you all. That was a pretty bad E3 for Nintendo. Sure they had some good points, like Earthbound Beginnings and Smash DLC, but that was it. Everything else was games we already about and weird spin offs. Not even Snake could've saved that. While I'm would rather him be revealed, I'm happy that it wasn't amongst all...that. By far the worst thing though was the presentation. It was bizarre and unsettling. What possessed Nintendo to use PUPPETS of all things. I would like to say I can understand were Nintendo is coming from, but their presentation was so baffling I just can't. Their Digital Event was everything that a good E3 event shouldn't be. An off putting presentation that removes a viewer from the experience, showcasing lackluster content in a event that drags on without purpose will lead to a quick and justified loss of interest on the viewers part. The good news is that Nintendo recognized their failure and tweeted a post saying they value our feedback and will have a better event next year.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Not gonna lie, I found the puppets funny as ****.
Those were very cool, I hope to see more of them. Too bad they are associated with this direct.

No Zelda, Fake Metroid, Fake Animal Crossing, weird Japanese games like FExSMT, and announcements that we have already known about for years (Yarn Yoshi and Xenoblade)
This is almost as bad as 2008. It is also disappointing this came after the spectacular Nintendo E3 2014 which reinvigorated my hope in Nintendo, this crushed it.
Worst of all is it feels like they are ****canning the Wii U in favor of the 3DS and NX. Which is sad because it felt like the Wii U was just getting started with MK8, SSB4, Zelda Wii U, Star Fox, Bayonetta, and Splatoon. Not it feels like they are dropping it in favor of the 3DS and NX.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I feel like characters like Wolf, IC, and Snake will be revealed in August alongside tournament mode.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I figure it's probably been discussed around here, but I was wondering what you fans think of Snake's chances given the direction Konami has decided to go in and the mess between them and Kojima?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I figure it's probably been discussed around here, but I was wondering what you fans think of Snake's chances given the direction Konami has decided to go in and the mess between them and Kojima?
It's not really a big problem. Both Kojima and Konami showed interest to have Snake back, so they aren't an obstacle. I also doubt that Sakurai don't want him back (he is a big MG fan plus he hates cuts), so only remains Nintendo. If people vote enough for him in the Ballot (as it looks like), then he is almost confirm to return.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Both Konami and Nintendo have been ****ing up lately so it seems like a match made in heaven.

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
I'll vote for him. For me he's just like Little Mac in that I'm terrible with them but they're still extremely fun to play. I also dream of the two of them battling: a boxer fighting a guy with grenades and a rocket launcher. The matchup seems pretty unfair out of context.

"This is a once in a lifetime chance, Snake. Now get out there and show them what you're made of. No regrets."

-Roy Campbell, SSBB Snake Trailer

The prospect of DLC was still shrouded in mystery when Mewtwo was first revealed. Now, with the return of Brawl veteran Lucas, veteran DLC seems all the more likely. Here, we show why our sneaky and missed veteran Snake should return to the Smash lineup.

Remind me who Snake was, just in case.

Absolutely. Snake(and his Big Boss counterpart who shares the name) is the protagonist of(the majority of) the Metal Gear games, ranging from the classic Metal Gear on the NES to the mainstream Solid titles which were released on several platforms, but none more notable than the Sony PlayStation line.

As for his position in Super Smash Brothers, Snake joined the roster of Brawl as a request from Metal Gear director Hideo Kojima to Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai. Kojima originally wanted Snake to be in Super Smash Brothers Melee on the Nintendo GameCube, but it was too far in development, and thus was later saved for Brawl, famously revealed to the utter shock of many at E3 2006, thus granting Snake the honor of being the first third-party character to join Smash.

Oh, that guy. Why should he come back?

Snake was one of the most well-received newcomers to Brawl, and one of the more sorely missed cuts from U/3DS. He had a very unique and fun moveset, high popularity in tournaments, and a fun Easter egg in the form of the codecs that can be triggered on his home stage, Shadow Moses Island. Needless to say, Snake had a lot going for him in Brawl, and to see him cut from the next game's roster is disappointing. But, with DLC now possible, the return of Lucas, another cut veteran, and the ongoing Smash Ballot, the living legend can be brought back to duel with Nintendo's All-Stars and his third-party brethren.

The guy has no history with Nintendo, though.

False. Snake has appeared in many games on Nintendo consoles. Here is a list:

Metal Gear - NES
Snake's Revenge - NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -MSX(but received a Virtual Console port)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Nintendo GameCube
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo Wii
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters - Nintendo GameCube
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Nintendo DS
Scriblenauts(surprising, right?) - Nintendo 3DS(Japanese version only)
New International Track & Field - Nintendo DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship - Game Boy Advance
Evolution Skateboarding - Nintendo GameCube

That's a lot of history. When his first game appeared on a Nintendo console, that's a pretty hard fact to ignore.

Uh...he wouldn't fit in. Look at this roster!

This argument has a few ways to be seen, and all of them can be contested:

-If his realistic appearance is the issue, then logically, Shulk and Zero Suit Samus don't fit either. Why would Snake's look be a negatively impacting black sheep?

-If his overall theme(hyper realistic military guy) is off putting, consider that Smash Bros. has a lot of characters from different themes that would otherwise not mesh; as one of many possible examples, a hyper-futuristic bounty hunter(Samus) fighting a genetically cloned, psychic Pokemon(Mewtwo). Both characters have wildly different themes to them, and don't mesh at all, but Smash Bros. is a crossover, it's not supposed to make sense. Why Snake would suddenly be the exception is confusing.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : The entire purpose of Smash Bros. is to bring characters who wouldn't normally fit in with one another together...Snake not entirely fitting in is what makes his inclusion so fantastic. Would Mario and Ike fit together? No. But in Smash Bros., because the point of the game is to bring all different kinds of characters together, it works. It applies to Snake too.

Man, but that's too many third parties for Smash!

We have Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man as the current third parties in a roster of 53(counting Lucas). Including Snake would only make it 1/13th of the roster at best. If there were, say, ten third parties and Snake on the possible list, then there would be a problem, but as it stands, the selection of third parties is still very minimal.

Snake has had no recent games on Nintendo consoles. He's not relevant to the company.
That didn't stop Mega Man. Look how Capcom has treated him, and yet he still got in. And Snake already fits the criteria of having appeared on a Nintendo console; several times. On top of that, he was already in Smash, so of course he would be relevant.

From @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : This shouldn't even matter. Snake's been in Smash before obviously, and the only requirements are that you appear on a Nintendo console one time. Snake fits the requirements, period.
Ryu's coming, that should stop Snake!

Hold up. Ryu is not only not guaranteed as of now, but Ryu getting in would solidify Snake's chances. Why?

Street Fighter hasn't had mainline games on Nintendo consoles since Street Fighter 2, and another third party would be joining the cast. Both are reasons commonly used against Snake, i.e relevancy on Nintendo consoles and the doubts of third-party DLC. On top of that, both Ryu and Snake have an upcoming game slated for release on opposing consoles. If that alone didn't stop Ryu, Snake has no reason to be an exception.

So no, Ryu won't stop Snake; he'll help him.

So no, Ryu won't stop Snake; he'll help him.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : Ryu only proves that 3rd Parties most likely need to have an upper tier gaming star status. A line up of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Snake would be a dream come true for some people. Smash isn't just about Nintendo anymore; it hasn't been since Snake first showed up.

Hey, KONAMI has issues with Kojima leaving and stuff!

This is frequently brought up. It is true that there is an ongoing issue at Konami in regards to Kojima, but that still doesn't stop Snake. Konami still owns the character, so they can arrange his appearance as DLC if need be. The only true roadblock that could happen would be if Konami stopped supporting other consoles; which they haven't.

And besides, Konami is in favor of voting for Snake in the Smash Ballot if this retweet is to be believed.

So even this isn't an issue unless Konami says so.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : Not only has Konami retweeted that tweet, but they also favorited 2 others. Sure, you could argue that it's just an intern doing whatever on the account, but you never know.
Okay...what can I do to help?

It's simple. Vote for Snake in the Smash Ballot, maybe wear one of the emblems below in your signature, and just spread the word in general. The more, the merrier. Only with your help can we make it known that Snake should come back.

Promo images

Supporter List
Vote now...don't let Snake keep us waiting!

Once a Smash Brother, always a Smash Brother!
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Credit to @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A for the OP reboot. Give that guy a hand. He deserves it!
@Swampasaur for compiling the games in which Snake appeared on Nintendo consoles
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux for the first signature icon
@ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss for the ticket stub sig icon
@N3ON for the Snake support icon
@ Zajice Zajice and @CaptainCrisb for the Snake splash pic
Please add me to the supporters list. I sent in a ballot vote for Snake recently:

I would love to see Ally destroy with him again as well.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So i was looking at the list the great and wonderful @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones made and today i was watching a Melee video and it got me thinking!

Melee's development period (to me) was very hard and one of the most interesting games of all time. Well Kojima requested for Solid Snake to be in Melee around after the release of Ghost Babel right? Late 2000? early 2001? SEGA had exited the Console Wars because of the Dreamcast being destroyed by the PS2 and such! SEGA went 3rd Party then Gaming Maganize asked Yuji Naka (Sonic's Creator) about Sonic being in Melee
"It was very close, but time constraints did not allow us to continue with the idea."
The Point im trying to make here Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog two very iconic characters were considered for Melee but couldn't for Time Constraints (Both were later added) Don't you think that they should have a "special spot" and be cherished like other Melee Characters Marth, Roy, Shiek, Zelda ect. ect. I think that Sonic and Snake should be treated the same and i think that they both Should have the same amount of love as the Melee Newcomers at the time. They should be treated like Melee Kids!!

(I hope you all see it the way i did)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The funny thing about it, if Sakurai really was approached about Sonic during Melee's development, is that Sakurai still decided on Snake from the start of Brawl's development. Snake was in since the first trailer, Sonic was tossed to the side until the last minute when fan demand made Sakurai throw him in. Yeah, Sonic is in the current game without Snake, but it was a different story then.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, the head shrapnel bums me out. Big B had such a sexy face. Robo arm bums me out too.

He looked so good in GZ, but then Paz had to go and ruin everything.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Top Bottom