• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Braydon

Smash Ace
The next metal gear solid 5 is only coming to Xbox, Paystation, and PC, pretty much a de-confirmation, Nintendo isn't likely to put in a character that will be making his next appearance everywhere but on Nintendo consoles.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The next metal gear solid 5 is only coming to Xbox, Paystation, and PC, pretty much a de-confirmation, Nintendo isn't likely to put in a character that will be making his next appearance everywhere but on Nintendo consoles.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3 Exclusive) 2008
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii Exclusive) 2008

We get allot of people that say this and always prove them wrong, but I see you're new to SmashBoards so it's all good.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3 Exclusive) 2008
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii Exclusive) 2008

We get allot of people that say this and always prove them wrong, but I see you're new to SmashBoards so it's all good.
Ehh, is it possible they started developing snake for smash before Metal Gear Solid 4 was announced?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ehh, is it possible they started developing snake for smash before Metal Gear Solid 4 was announced?
Nah, Metal Gear Solid 4 was shown at TGS 2005, Brawl didn't enter development until '06.

Whoops! My mistake development started in October 2005, but the first gameplay trailer was shown at E3 2006.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
No, and it doesn't matter much. There were trophies of Gekkos, and a remix of a song from MGS4.
In a odd Roy-like situation, the Gekkos debuted in Brawl; it was their first appearance before Guns of the Patriots came out.

And anyone who knows the plot of MGS4 knows that how Shadow Moses Island is shown in game with the Metal Gear cameos plus Snake's codec about Meta Knight is VERY sneaky foreshadowing.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
So is the reason known exactly why Snake was cut from Brawl? Was it Konami hating on the Wii U, or did Nintendo pull him out?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In a odd Roy-like situation, the Gekkos debuted in Brawl; it was their first appearance before Guns of the Patriots came out.

And anyone who knows the plot of MGS4 knows that how Shadow Moses Island is shown in game with the Metal Gear cameos plus Snake's codec about Meta Knight is VERY sneaky foreshadowing.
I had to go back and listen to that Codec but then it clicked.

That's awesome.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
@ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I currently have that as my Backloggery Banner. Before that was a fake Snake joins the battle banner.

Sorry if its oversized, I just copy/pasted the url into the image part of the toolbar.

I for one laughed at the levels of narcissim and then fanboying Liquid Ocelot put into Mount Snakemore.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Thanks a lot to @ K Knux27 (btw it's KimKarsmashian, my alter ego for when I am inevitably included in the Smash series :troll:) and @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy ! I'm kind of surprised at how few games Snake has on Nintendo consoles. I understand the haters now and will officially be withdrawing my support and will petition for more Metal Gear on Nintendo. :pow:

Since I'm strapped for cash at the moment, it's gonna be tough... on the one hand, Twin Snakes will probably be cheaper since it's older, but I have no GC with me at the moment. MGS3DS will be more expensive (and apparently not as good without the circle pad pro, which I do not intend to buy as the aforementioned cash-strapped person) but I will be able to play it consistently. Tough choice. I'll have to look into how much each one is going for. If it weren't for the Circle Pad Pro, I'd probably just go for MGS3DS.
Snake Eater 3D isn't that bad without a circle pad/N3DS; its pretty much the exact same control scheme PSP players had to use in PeaceWalker. They will be a turn off at first, but eventually you'll get used to it and prefer using the buttons over the D-pad for camera movement.
But yeah, MGS1/Twin Snakes and 3 are perfect to start with, you won't have any confusion with the story regardless of what you start with thanks to MGS3 being a prequel.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I had too much fun with the Codec/Guidance idea...

Otacon: Snake, I see you're fighting Pit again. Be careful, he's got a few new tricks up his sleeve! His Upperdash Arm will send you flying, and his Guardian Orbitars will send your projectiles right back at you!

Snake: Got it, the mutant learned a thing or two since the last game. I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Pit: Um, excuse me, but this is supposed to be my guidance. And I am not a mutant.

Snake: What?! How did you hack into this frequency? Was it that toad again?

Palutena: No toads here, and I'm the one that's supposed to be helping Pit, so could you please take your reconnaissance elsewhere?
Otacon: A-ah! It's the goddess Palutena! This is just like one of my anime...!

Snake: What is she, your waifu or something? Snap out of it!

Pit: Hey! Don't think about Lady Palutena like that!

Viridi: Puh-lease, it's not like you haven't Pit.

Palutena: She does have a point, Pit.

Pit: H-hey, come on! We're in the middle of a fight!

Snake: ... I agree with the mutant, can we get this over with?

Pit: I AM NOT A MUTANT!

Otacon: The goddess of nature too! Ah, this is too much...!

Viridi: Eww, filthy human, stop being so creepy!

Palutena: Creepy? I think he's charming.

Pit: Eh?! What did you do to Lady Palutena?!

Palutena: Oh we haven't done anything, Pit. Yet.

Pit: I'mnothearingthisrightnow, I'mnothearingthisrightnow...

Otacon: A-aaahhhh!

Snake: Otacon? Are you alright? Hal?! HAAAAAALL!!!

I don't even know.​
Looks like you lost track of where that was headed.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Snake Eater 3D isn't that bad without a circle pad/N3DS; its pretty much the exact same control scheme PSP players had to use in PeaceWalker. They will be a turn off at first, but eventually you'll get used to it and prefer using the buttons over the D-pad for camera movement.
But yeah, MGS1/Twin Snakes and 3 are perfect to start with, you won't have any confusion with the story regardless of what you start with thanks to MGS3 being a prequel.
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian , @ Tikivoy Tikivoy is right about it being not bad without the Circle Pad Pro. The game is completely playable without it, but plays so much better with it. If you don't mind using the face buttons to move the camera, try out the demo on the eShop.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian , @ Tikivoy Tikivoy is right about it being not bad without the Circle Pad Pro. The game is completely playable without it, but plays so much better with it. If you don't mind using the face buttons to move the camera, try out the demo on the eShop.
The PSP version of Peace Walker plays with the face buttons moving the camera, actually. I've played the MGS3 demo with that in mind and it played perfectly.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I, for one, loved playing as Snake. Zoning is my preferred playstyle anyways (I main Ness largely for PK Fire and PK Thunder spam).

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
One thing I can't stand about Smash fans is how butthurt some get at characters like Snake.

"Rayman leak was fake? Thank god!"
"Shulk shouldn't be in Smash Bros!"
"I am so glad Snake isn't in the game, lol at Snake fanboys!"

Why? You don't have to play them. People like these characters, don't trample on their fun. Why do these characters hurt you so much?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
One thing I can't stand about Smash fans is how butthurt some get at characters like Snake.

Why? You don't have to play them. People like these characters, don't trample on their fun. Why do these characters hurt you so much?
That's one of the reasons why I hate the Smash Bros. fanbase. Aside from the obvious "This character is a waste of a character spot!" or "This character doesn't deserve to be in Smash!" bull****, they make such dumb*** excuses.

I've seen those a lot before and after Rosalina was confirmed, who was my most wanted newcomer. If you don't like the character, then don't play as him/her or use them as punching bags for all I care. Really, how hard can that be?

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace

Am I the only one who thought snake never fit into smash at all? He's not super unique, he's a character that didn't fit in. He's actually probably the most generic character that has ever been in smash. He's a very generic militaristic guy with a bunch of guns, oh my god how could they cut someone so unique?

Time that could have been spent on snake was much better spent on bowser Jr. who was the closest to not making it and probably would have been cut if they'd spent time deving snake.

I'm not saying smash fans don't get but hurt easy, but there really is no reason snake deserves a spot on the roster.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Am I the only one who thought snake never fit into smash at all? He's not super unique, he's a character that didn't fit in. He's actually probably the most generic character that has ever been in smash. He's a very generic militaristic guy with a bunch of guns, oh my god how could they cut someone so unique?
Someone's earned themselves some arguing.

Snake's main reason for uniqueness because he was, for one, Smash's first ever third party character. People seem to ignore that.

Other things adding to his uniqueness is:

-Precisely the realistic, militaristic aspect, and in a game like Smash. Name 2 other characters that mimic his style. Can you? Of course not.
-Bringing a funny Easter Egg in the form of the many codec calls on Shadow Moses depending on opponent. At least Palutena's Guidance is an attempt to continue the trend. At the very least they acknowledged it's similarity to the codecs in the 50 Fact Extravaganza.
-A moveset that, within Brawl, had the most projectiles for a single character, including taunt(the cardboard box) and Final Smash.

And there are other things I mean to address about your argument up there.

Time that could have been spent on snake was much better spent on bowser Jr. who was the closest to not making it and probably would have been cut if they'd spent time deving snake.
Right. Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers were also cut. Characters who also could have impacted Bowser Jr's chances of making it in and likely had higher priority than both Snake and Bowser Jr. Now, are you trying to tell me that any of the three are exempt from the development rule? Time making and developing them could have contributed to Bowser Jr. being cut, you know. Why place the blame unfairly on Snake when you have exactly three other, just as popular cuts that are just as blame worthy? I just think you're biased against Snake and not the other three cuts, but kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not saying smash fans don't get but hurt easy, but there really is no reason snake deserves a spot on the roster.
You've invited yourself to be flamed with this line here. Pray that the other fans who read your little comment are as nice as I'm being to you.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There's that same dumb*** excuse I was referring to as one of the reason why I hate the Smash Bros. fanbase.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Someone's earned themselves some arguing.

Snake's main reason for uniqueness because he was, for one, Smash's first ever third party character. People seem to ignore that.

-Precisely the realistic, militaristic aspect, and in a game like Smash. Name 2 other characters that mimic his style. Can you? Of course not.
-Bringing a funny Easter Egg in the form of the many codec calls on Shadow Moses depending on opponent. At least Palutena's Guidance is an attempt to continue the trend. At the very least they acknowledged it's similarity to the codecs in the 50 Fact Extravaganza.
-A moveset that, within Brawl, had the most projectiles for a single character, including taunt(the cardboard box) and Final Smash.

And there are other things I mean to address about your argument up there.

Right. Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers were also cut. Characters who also could have impacted Bowser Jr's chances of making it in and likely had higher priority than both Snake and Bowser Jr. Now, are you trying to tell me that any of the three are exempt from the development rule? Time making and developing them could have contributed to Bowser Jr. being cut, you know. Why place the blame unfairly on Snake when you have exactly three other, just as popular cuts that are just as blame worthy? I just think you're biased against Snake and not the other three cuts, but kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

You've invited yourself to be flamed with this line here. Pray that the other fans who read your little comment are as nice as I'm being to you.
lbr, Snake is totally different from everyone else. That's why he's unique. :troll: Now, I'm just a lowly casual player, so I can't offer any insight into the finer points of his moves, but even I can tell that there was nobody that played like him before and nobody that's played like him since.

Braydon

Smash Ace

Snake was tied with Sonic for first third party character, and even if he weren't I don't think that warrants his inclusion in future titles. The militaristic aspect just doesn't fit in with smash, that's kind of what I meant by he doesn't fit. He's nothing like the Nintendo characters.

The moveset I always felt was just a little awkward and clunky, and it has already been chopped for parts, Shiek got a very similar grenade, his up special may have been unique when it was made but now there are so many similar ones, duck hunt, olimar, and villager's have the same basic concept. Crash bomb sticks to opponents like his down special did. And his missile was always just a sideways PK thunder.

Palutena's guidance already replaced codec calls, and Megaman has taken the most projectiles title, likely permanently.
I've never had a problem with wolf or ice climbers being cut, the only one that annoys me is Lucas because I would have rather seen Ness cut instead. I'm certainly not going to argue for any of their returns though, not even Lucas, as he and wolf have already had their specials given as alternate specials for fox and Ness.

@ Tino Tino
It's not a "dumbass excuse" it's a reason.

@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian
The only things he had that haven't been tweaked an reused are his up smash down smash and down special...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Snake was tied with Sonic for first third party character, and even if he weren't I don't think that warrants his inclusion in future titles. The militaristic aspect just doesn't fit in with smash, that's kind of what I meant by he doesn't fit. He's nothing like the Nintendo characters.
They are not "tied"; Snake was revealed first, WAY before Sonic.

"Snake doesn't fit" is the most cliched argument towards his non-inclusion ever. Of course he's not like the Nintendo characters. Snake appearing in a series in which he was least expected only makes him that much more unique to the roster. He represents a series that, while not being on Nintendo platforms all the time, is a celebrated and iconic series to gaming in general. Snake meets the quota of an All-Star video game character, and only adds to Smash Bros as a series.

The moveset I always felt was just a little awkward and clunky, and it has already been chopped for parts, Shiek got a very similar grenade, his up special may have been unique when it was made but now there are so many similar ones, duck hunt, olimar, and villager's have the same basic concept. Crash bomb sticks to opponents like his down special did. And his missile was always just a sideways PK thunder.
Losing Snake resulted in quite a few things getting removed from the Super Smash Bros. series. Firstly, we lost a entirely unique moveset from the game, a moveset that, in its entirety will not be so easy to replace. While Sheik has a grenade attack, and an item may have taken a similar function to the Nikita, Snake’s moveset in its entirety is almost impossible to replace.

Duck Hunt, Olimar and Villager do NOT share the same basic concept as Snake. Olimar has his Pikmin minions; Snake doesn't. Remind me when Snake summoned barriers and stored weapons for later use in the case of Villager. Duck Hunt does not have a stationary mine, only a projectile that can be moved and acts as one, but isn't.

And for the love of god, Crash Bomb is a moving projectile, not a stationary mine that can be detonated at any time.

Never mind that, but you just said that Snake's moveset was awkward and clumsy in your opinion; it's your opinion. Doesn't affect his deserving of inclusion.

I've never had a problem with wolf or ice climbers being cut, the only one that annoys me is Lucas because I would have rather seen Ness cut instead. I'm certainly not going to argue for any of their returns though, not even Lucas, as he and wolf have already had their specials given as alternate specials for fox and Ness.
Thank you for showing your bias against Snake by blatantly saying you don't argue against them returning even though many support their return, and instead waltz into Snake's thread to basically piss off anyone possible.

Let those who want him back do so and leave if you're not going to say anything nice; nobody asked you to post here in the first place. Go flame somewhere else.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
Please learn to read.

There is a difference between saying "I won't argue for other cut veterans returning" and saying "I won't argue against other cut veterans returning." Namely they are complete opposites, and I said the first not the second.

I also never said olimar, duck hunt, and villager were like snake, I said their up specials took the concept of snakes up special, while I was talking about how he got chopped for parts.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't get the argument that "he's not like Nintendo characters". That's an arbitrary blanket statement that doesn't refer to any specific or coherent criteria. Considering how the following qualities that purportedly "distinguish" Snake are fairly prevalent in other Nintendo series to begin with:

Militaristic - Advance Wars

Serious nature - Fire Emblem, Xenoblade

Realistic design - Zelda, Metroid

Adult themes - Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Metroid, Mother

And then considering the other qualities present within Metal Gear that are often touted as being "Nintendo-like":

Humorous content - Johnny Sasaki, the chicken hat

Fantastical elements - The bosses of MGS3, Snake and Liquid's pseudo-scientific conceptions

Engaging storylines - Pretty much Kojima's bread 'n' butter

Relevance in a Nintendo game - The fact that he appeared in Smash in the first place puts him above and beyond most first-party characters in the first instance

It all seems to me like there's no reason why Snake shouldn't be considered a relevant presence in a Nintendo game, especially considering Nintendo thrives on diversity and originality. And that's the fun of Smash: it takes characters from every conceivable style and genre and puts them together in one weird and wonderful title. The beauty of Smash is that anybody and everybody fits into it by the essential merit of it being Smash. It doesn't have conceptual limits of stylistic criteria.

And anyway, that's arguably Snake's main focus: the fact that he is so distinctly "non-Nintendo" ensures he is one of the most diverse and noticeable characters in the series. It's because of, not in spite of, his role as a hardened, uber-realistic military man that he stands out and is so memorable. Snake's brilliance is his subversive nature and the fact that he's the last thing you'd expect in the roster, but arguably one of the most fun and creative characters to ever appear in Smash, and that's something that I think is worth everything in a game like this.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm just about to put Brawl into the Wii U since I got Smash 4, and I'll be playing Snake and Wolf most definitely, Also played the demo of MGS3 Snake Eater - that was cool, until I stood up right in front of one of the guards... Regardless, I should get the full version when I get a bigger MicroSD card for my N3DSXL... or just by a retail copy.

Another point - let's say that they did decide to bring Snake back, but could only have three third party characters in the initial game and save 1 for DLC, who do you think would hold back?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Snake was tied with Sonic for first third party character.

I've never had a problem with wolf or ice climbers being cut, the only one that annoys me is Lucas because I would have rather seen Ness cut instead.

It's not a "******* excuse" it's a reason.

The militaristic aspect just doesn't fit in with smash, that's kind of what I meant by he doesn't fit. He's nothing like the Nintendo characters.

The militaristic aspect just doesn't fit in with smash, that's kind of what I meant by he doesn't fit. He's nothing like the Nintendo characters.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A gif of Whinie the pooh turning red and being scrambled, for when it would be to ****ing simple to speak English.
Are you seriously attacking me for using a reaction Gif? Really?!

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Snake in my opinion was one of the most unique characters in smash bros.

He was the only character in the roster to rely on gadgets and weapons that weren't swords as attacks.

He also had an extremely unique playstyle that relied on setup and forward thinking.

Sheik got a little bit of both, but that's only after Snakes absence in 4, and those attacks are almost identical to snakes.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I agree that Snake is one of the most unique characters in the series. He certainly was fun to play as and his inclusion is what got me into the Metal Gear series. If I ever get a chance to play Brawl again, I would only play as him and Wolf the whole time.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet

No, I'm fairly certain there are plenty your type who think Snake doesn't fit in Smash just like how I think you saying he's "the most generic character" and "generic militaristic guy with a bunch of guns" is a presumptuous statement.

Based on my digital travels, it has come to my notice that those who view Snake as this "generic" character have a reputation for being presumptuous about the entirety of the Metal Gear franchise and Snake as a whole -- probably due to those people actually never having played the games thoroughly, if at all. Snake's external appearance may seem whatever the common traveler perceives him to be, but Snake's psyche is what truly transcends his looks. He's one of three clones (since a militaristic man who possesses this sole trait is considered to be a repulsive trope in all forms of media, evidently to your type) who's tormented with the fact that he isn't his own person (and will never be, in an omnipresent sense), but is instead the genetic embodiment of what he absolutely detests -- Big Boss.

Based on your assumption that Snake is "generic", I'm assuming you extended your thesis by conjuring up this idea that he possesses "a bunch of guns" canonically and goes around in cutscenes annihilating every soul that crosses his "generic" path, which is riddled with mechanical bipedal nukes, the supernatural, a narrative-based obsession with breaking the fourth wall, and a character whose personality consists of explosive diarrhea. Contrary to popular belief, throughout Solid 1, 2, and 4, Solid Snake primarily utilizes tranquilizers in his missions and in cutscenes. If not that, he resorts to using CQC (implemented in his moveset because he's wholly capable of fighting without the aid of "a bunch of guns" and also ultimately characterizes his persona) and dispatching the nefarious antagonists by utilizing those non-lethal means. It's entirely clear that even the developers put an emphasis of non-lethal methods over morbid intentions and reward the players for doing so (such as unlocking costumes in boss fights for knocking them out), as it is duly noted here, here, here, and even makes a subtle commentary on the matter here.

Claiming how Snake uses guns in Brawl is rather untrue, as I doubt an RPG, mortar, C4, and mines would fall under that category. Snake utilizes explosives in a tactical manner as opposed to using bullet-based weaponry, unless you only used him when he was holding a super scope or a ray gun.

What makes Snake so unique in Brawl is the fact (as previously noted by LIQUID12A) that he hails from a widely celebrated and complex series that revolutionized narratives in gaming, making the medium salvaged and taken much more seriously as opposed to the trivial assumption made by outsiders that games are to make its subjects' minds numb with monotonous responses, devoid of any thought-provoking substance. Snake's tone in Brawl proved to be a juxtaposition to the more light-hearted characters and it's this stark contrast that makes his inclusion all worth the while -- something of this magnitude has never been done before. His unprecedented presence in Smash introduced many people to the Metal Gear series and made his fans play Smash; Snake in Brawl was, and continues to be, a conduit that benefits both parties instead of harming them.

A gif of Whinie the pooh turning red and being scrambled, for when it would be to ****ing simple to speak English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_picture_is_worth_a_thousand_words

Good day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom