• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
So what do you call it when Snake eats a lot of dessert?

Metal Gear Solid 3: Cake Eater

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I miss Snake... Snake Eater is still one of my favorite VGM tracks, and Metal Gear as a whole is just inspired.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Something something Otacon's waifu.

Carry on with these wondrous puns, pay me no heed~ :3

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Tried out MGS3DS on the New 3DS XL today, playing it up to the end of the virtuous mission. Using the c-stick for the camera works pretty well, and of course its amazing 3D effect is also better with the face tracking 3D.It's too bad you can only use the ZR/ZL buttons to aim and shoot, but it is something you get used to pretty quickly.
Really wish they'd give it an update since I don't really like the low framerate, but I guess that won't happen, unless, I dunno, something causes interest in MGS3D again, like...Snake returning to Smash! :snake:

...Honestly, playing it again actually kind of made me sad. Pretty much because it made me remember when it first came out and I was speculating with friends over what MGS3 stuff they would put in Smash 4.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Now take these with a grain of salt but so far no one has been able to deconfirm them. This could actually be good for Snake as this shows that 3rd parties could be DLC...

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I think Rayman being in Smash would be great. As long as we see Snake down the road.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If this is true, we can cross off "He can't be DLC cuz he's third party hurr durr" off the list.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Rayman's actually DLC, I hope that Snake's planned as well. Those two and Bayonetta are my top three most wanted third party characters, and while I don't know how likely Bayonetta is (depends if she'd be considered as a representative for Sega or Platinum Games), I'd like to think that Snake and Rayman have pretty good chances regardless of the leak (they have the rights to use Rayman, Kojima wants Snake to be brought back, and I'm pretty sure the assets for Snake were in one of the versions of SSB4 as leftovers from Brawl)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
With Rayman all but confirmed, if we are to get any more 3rd party characters as DLC, it is Snake or nobody.

That's pretty good. I'm honestly pretty glad for this thread's current mentality. With the other top 3rd party character out of the way, it's Snake or bust. On top of that with a 2nd DLC character confirmed, it is pretty safe to say we will get more DLC characters, and probably quite a few of them.

I can't wait to see loads of cool characters added. :)

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Nice to see most of us looking at the bright side of Rayman dlc, rather then fearing Snake won't return because too many third parties or something. I'm really hoping this is real so we can put the "only Mewtwo dlc" and "no third party dlc" stuff to rest.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Nice to see most of us looking at the bright side of Rayman dlc, rather then fearing Snake won't return because too many third parties or something. I'm really hoping this is real so we can put the "only Mewtwo dlc" and "no third party dlc" stuff to rest.
I'll be honest, I'm some what salty, but looking at the fact that it destroys many of the major arguments against snake adds alot sugar to it. I'll remain hopefull, maybe these two aren't the only ones coming.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If Nintendo can forgive Ubisoft, surely they can add Snake some Konami didn't "betray" Nintendo.

I'm pretty hype about Rayman though, he's a great character & it's nice to see another western character besides Diddy.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, this debunks the many arguments against Snake. On the other, DLC characters take a lot of time and work, and Sakurai isn't in then best of health. I'm honestly more concerned than excited for this. I hope someone can give me a reason to be though.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, this debunks the many arguments against Snake. On the other, DLC characters take a lot of time and work, and Sakurai isn't in then best of health. I'm honestly more concerned than excited for this. I hope someone can give me a reason to be though.
This debunks almost all arguments against Snake, and Sakurai is in good enough health to give us 2, count them 2, DLC characters.:colorful:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly, I'm quite dissaponted by Rayman. I've never liked his games, he isn't a great gaming icon like Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man & Snake, and I dislike Ubisoft. But if Nintendo can let him in (after all the s*** Ubisoft trow to Nintendo recently), I really don't see why they would let Snake (Konami rep and VETERAN) out, so by far I'm neutral about him...
But if I found out that Snake will not come back for "too much 3rd parties", I would be mad...and I'm still hating Rayman...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Honestly, I'm quite dissaponted by Rayman. I've never liked his games, he isn't a great gaming icon like Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man & Snake, and I dislike Ubisoft. But if Nintendo can let him in (after all the s*** Ubisoft trow to Nintendo recently), I really don't see why they would let Snake (Konami rep and VETERAN) out, so by far I'm neutral about him...
But if I found out that Snake will not come back for "too much 3rd parties", I would be mad...and I'm still hating Rayman...
If Mega Man is an icon, than Rayman is an icon. Seriously, people keep including him while excluding Rayman, what did Mega Man do that Rayman didn't? Mario and Pac-Man pioneered their genres, Snake revolutionized his, Sonic is Sonic, Mega Man and Rayman are both just platformers compared to the rest. If you don't like his games, that's alright, but that's a terrible reason to not want him in the game. And Ubisoft? Christ, Rayman and Snake are in the same boat with people **** talking their respective companies in comparison to Nintendo, and what the hell has Capcom or Mega Man done for Nintendo recently either?

If this leak is real, my full DLC attention will be on Snake's return. We don't all have to like each other's characters, but I'd like to at least get along with my fellow Snake supporters. And Rayman getting in can only mean good things for Snake.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Mega Man is an icon, than Rayman is an icon. Seriously, people keep including him while excluding Rayman, what did Mega Man do that Rayman didn't? Mario and Pac-Man pioneered their genres, Snake revolutionized his, Sonic is Sonic, Mega Man and Rayman are both just platformers compared to the rest. If you don't like his games, that's alright, but that's a terrible reason to not want him in the game. And Ubisoft? Christ, Rayman and Snake are in the same boat with people **** talking their respective companies in comparison to Nintendo, and what the hell has Capcom or Mega Man done for Nintendo recently either?

If this leak is real, my full DLC attention will be on Snake's return. We don't all have to like each other's characters, but I'd like to at least get along with my fellow Snake supporters. And Rayman getting in can only mean good things for Snake.
I agree with nearly all of what you say. I don't know if Rayman is iconic as some of we, Rayman supporters, make him out to be. Don't get me wrong he's uber-iconic but putting him on the same level or above Mega Man as while sure he is "just a platformer" he revolutionized the runs and gun side scrolling genre to an extent. What I'm trying to say is that no character is more iconic than the other, because they are all iconic for different reasons. Oh, and for the record I would be more than a little pissed if we didn't get Snake after The Rayman. :)

Edit: Oh and on Capcom, Monster has been a pretty big deal lately, just wanted to put that out there.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Being an Icon means be famous. Ask to how many people you want, you will find out that Mega Man is fairly more known than Rayman, and so Snake, Pac-Man and Sonic.
If I don't like a character is obvious than I don't want him in a game (but that doesn't mean I would run around screaming that he ruined the game).
Still Konami is a better supporter for Nintendo than Ubisoft (especially on 3DS), while Ubisoft don't lose a chance for throw s*** to Nintendo (they even stated that they have a completed game for Wii U, but they aren't releasing it because the Wii U isn't selling, while Kojima himself stated that he would like to do an unique project for Wii U). Companies is an important part for TP, because it isn't right that a crappy company like Ubisoft gets prizes (be in Smash is a great publicity, just look at what it have done to Fire Emblem) while other more deserving companies don't get anything (Level 5 in primis, one of the greatest japanese Software House , well know also in the West and a wonderful partner for Nintendo, and still it doesn't even have a single trophy).
So that my trough. I'm not happy of Rayman, but I'm pleased for his fans. His inclusion means only good things for Snake, and that's the important thing IN THIS COMMUNITY, so I'm totally for it. But if he is going to be the only TP DLC, I will be very pissed of, just like I was pissed of when Mewtwo was cut from Brawl. But still it doesn't mean I would hate Rayman or his fan for them getting what they wanted while I'm not.
And I'm still going to try him (if the leak is true, which I think it is). He is surely going to have an unique moveset.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So after a year of procrastinating I have finally 100% Ground Zeroes and now I'm sad cause Phantom Pain isn't out.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
I'm not against Rayman as DLC. Loved the original trilogy, those were classics. While I haven't played Origins or Legends, I can definitely see the appeal behind both of them... though it was pretty jarring to see a third-party as contemporary as Rayman joining in alongside the likes of Mario and Sonic. I don't mean that as a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting a DLC leak to happen this soon and reveal a newcomer instead of veterans.

Which leads me to this:

I agree with Nonno regarding Snake's potential exclusion (I pray not) because of "too many third-parties", when he was in fact the veteran that paved the way for third-parties in the Smash universe. I wouldn't hold a grudge against Rayman -- I'd just feel a bit of melancholy. To counter the whole "too many third-parties" argument, those characters would be DLC, and essentially, completely optional to the consumer. I can understand if Sakurai meant he didn't want to include too many third-parties in the base game, but since DLC isn't forced upon everyone, I can see him lifting those restrictions and rightfully adding in the OG third-party character who has kept us waiting long enough. :snake:

On a more positive note, this does indeed heighten Snake's chances much more than what they already were. Third-parties aren't out of the question for DLC (if this is all true), and it seems apparent that there will be more fighters to come. Remember the shop icon that was hidden within the files of the 3DS version? I doubt it'd be used for only two downloadable characters, so it seems fitting if more characters filled in that shop and actually lived up to the term shop.

--

Another thing I thought of, to be used against those Negative Nancys who oppose Snake's return:
"Snake doesn't deserve to be in Smash 4 because Konami hates Nintendo."
"Well, Ubisoft pretty much called out and disrespected Nintendo by refusing to put out anymore games for the Wii U, yet Rayman got in."

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Rayman doesn't fit! :grin:

In truth, I'm glad he made it in if it holds up.

Ubisoft is a huge supporter of Nintendo (despite one employee's bashing) - especially during the Wii and Wii U spans. They still port over and create new games for the Wii U, which is much more than I can say for other developers.

Rayman is the face of Ubisoft and is a popular character. Great Choice!

This honestly doesn't do anything to Snake's chances of appearing in the game, either - he is either being worked on or not. All it does is change the speculation a bit. (Personally, I think the Rayman trophies were included in the game because they just didn't have time to finish the character along with Mewtwo)

Also, please note that Keifer has not been announced for MKX character and the game comes out in April...hmm.....

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Was i the only one that thought that since Rayman could possibly be getting that it lowers the chances for Solid Snake! Do you guys think Sakurai will include 5 3rd Party Characters?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well, i gotta admit i wasnt exactly excited to see this when we first thought it was real. Im not a huge rayman fan, and it wouldnt have been all that good for snake's chances going forward. But now that we know its fake, i honestly feel bad for rayman and his fans being led on like that. I know if it was snake, and they did that id be super pissed, and thinking of it now it would have probably been easier for him to fool us considering snakes past presence and the ability to have the announcer clips too. So as i dont care for rayman personally, my heart goes out to those fans of his who were put through this roller coaster of moments. I mean we've been there ourselves with kojima's quotes and all that BS too. Hope is still alive for snake, so we can remain resilient as always, and the same goes for the rayman crew.

Although i didnt like that even with rayman and ubisofts current status people made exceptions for him but would still refuse to give those exceptions to snake when they thought this thing was real. Even then snake was still looked down upon by the nintendo purists *sigh*

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux you okay man? This must suck,being so close to the destination but finding out there are few more miles to go. This is like the third time this has happeNed to Rayman fans.

As for snake, those arguments are still gong to be used against snake, but at least too many 3rd parties can't be used for now.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
If the same thing happened to Snake, I'd be pretty upset. The guy is good, but that was a d*** move.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The guy who made the fake seemed like an ok guy in the gamexplain interview with him. He didn't sound like he meant it to be as malicious as most make it out to be, sure he had some idea of the backlash but it's definitely far more then he was expecting. But it was easily to build up a reputation quickly.

I guess he's now taking requests for characters to create in that style, so naturally I sent a twitter request to see snake lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom