• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I actually prefer David over Keifer because it makes Snake and Big Boss sound more...well, Snake. Keifer is still alright, though.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like the choice of Kiefer Sutherland at all and I think it's obvious he was chosen more because he was a big actor more than his voice being appropriate for the role. He just makes Big Boss sound like Jack Bauer, which is really jarring.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I actually prefer David over Keifer because it makes Snake and Big Boss sound more...well, Snake. Keifer is still alright, though.
I'd take Richard Doyle or Kiefer Sutherland for Big Boss while David Hayter has to stay as Solid Snake. For Naked Snake (young Big Boss), it makes sense for Hayter to voice him since Solid Snake is the closest clone aside from Solidus who probably was grown and came out looking like an adult or whose development was proportional to his life span. Big Boss's voice changing slowly reflects normal changes in life while Snake's gravely voice reflects a sudden, rapid aging and basically, his vocal chords are dying not aging. Solidus had a short life and aged quickly like a beaver or a bee or a Salarian if you're a fan of Mass Effect. His changes which isn't noted since we only seen "old" Solidus makes sense.

If it's Solid Snake, then Hayter has to voice him. If it's Big Boss, then it depends on his age; Naked would have to be Hayter, middle-aged Big Boss would have to be Sutherland, and old Big Boss would have to be Doyle.

That just leaves young Snake, young Liquid *cough* Eli *cough*, and maybe even a kid Big Boss.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like the choice of Kiefer Sutherland at all and I think it's obvious he was chosen more because he was a big actor more than his voice being appropriate for the role. He just makes Big Boss sound like Jack Bauer, which is really jarring.
But the odd thing there is they haven't even used Sutherland as a selling point though.
Doesn't even mention him on the back of Ground Zeroes. loose comparison MGS2 put that the theme was by Harry Gregson Williams when it came out.

Though after watching the Konami Pre E3 conference awhile back. It might have been tied to Kojima trying to work on his hollywood contacts. Which have obviously been growing with the addition of Norman Reedus and Guiellmoro Del Toro.
I honestly see at some point in the future Kojima being involved with a film. Hell if the MGS film gets off the ground I see him actually having a hand in it depending on what they work out for it.

Lastly Sutherland in the game wouldn't bother me since it would just be grunts and kicks anyway.
Though in smash I would say a good amount of charm would be lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noHrCSvD1QI

Since if you ask me the voice really helped him fit in with the cast in a odd way.
Since it's not hayter sounded serious or realistic.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't know if nintendo would shell out a lot of money to have sutherland do snake, he probably won't come cheap.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if nintendo would shell out a lot of money to have sutherland do snake, he probably won't come cheap.
I think it would all depend on the contract sutherland has.
Since I think that would be a big factor into his use for other VA.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
So, I just finished registering my copy of Smash Bros. 3DS on Club Nintendo and made it vocal that I was really looking forward to playing as Snake, but... then the core roster was finalized without him. Here's what I wrote for the "what are you looking forward to" section:

"Potential DLC - Admittedly, I was rather disappointed to not see Snake return in this iteration of Smash Bros. His playstyle and general ambiance he brought to the Smash Universe was unprecedented; his stark contrast between his world and Nintendo's (Sonic's as well) made Brawl emanate a much more versatile tone that generated a much more enjoyable experience than Melee. I was really excited to see how was going to turn out in Smash 4, but unfortunately he did not return in the core roster. To see an entire universe (Metal Gear) removed from this game really cut out a lot of heart that Brawl possessed. I hope to see downloadable content for this game down the line, for I - and many, many other people I personally know who are all more than willing to purchase a Wii U to play as Snake - will absolutely pay any amount of cash to play as Snake in Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS."

Helping any way I can to the cause. Until he's official, I'm still in a dream...

Last edited:
I'm fine with Sutherland tbh. Not that I like him better than David (I like David Hayter better)

If Snake comes back, you guys think Gray Fox will return (as an assist trophy) or Ninja Raiden will replace him?

Wishlist for Snake
1) F-tilt's damage is nerfed (5% first hit, 7% second hit)
2) U-tilt's range is now NOT DISJOINTED (Damage and KO power is still retained)
3) Grenade cooking is still a thing
4) NIKITA's waaaay faster and the damage is constantly at maybe 9 or 11% idk
5) His B-air and U-air should be his aerials with not much landing lag
6) D-smash is faster
7) F-smash is faster but weaker (16-25% damage)
8) Box meteor smashes hard lol

Thoughts? For the sake of not being ridiculous lol. Anyway, opinions are appreciated

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Can I just say how excited I am, as both owner of this thread and owner of the poll, to see that Snake is in the Top 6 in votes? With all of the negativity that people push toward Snake, it's fantastic to see that he has more votes than even Dixie Kong, only sitting behind K.Rool, Isaac, and the other vets. That's pretty impressive for being a 3rd party character that a lot of people say, "doesn't fit".

Rejoice! This is a victory!

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Can I just say how excited I am, as both owner of this thread and owner of the poll, to see that Snake is in the Top 6 in votes? With all of the negativity that people push toward Snake, it's fantastic to see that he has more votes than even Dixie Kong, only sitting behind K.Rool, Isaac, and the other vets. That's pretty impressive for being a 3rd party character that a lot of people say, "doesn't fit".

It's still means that Snake is unfortunately the least wanted vet to return. Hopefully that'll change though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Which unfortunately tells us that the desire for Snake is greatly overshadowed by the other vets, but nice to hear.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It's still means that Snake is unfortunately the least wanted vet to return. Hopefully that'll change though.
Not exactely. Roy, Young Link, Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu had less votes than him, and the others (Ice Climbers, Wolf and Lucas) have more desire because:
Ice Climbers: they doesn't deserve to be cut. Especially if it is just for the 3DS version. They MUST return.
Wolf: villain who was the best clone in Brawl, and WAY more unique than Falco.
Lucas: Nothing can be as good as his Up-Smash...
And there is surely someone who haven't voted Snake because he isn't expecting a TP DLC...

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Snake makes it in as DLC, then "Kept you waiting. Huh?" will make sense.
Even though Snake was Brawl's oddball, he'll always have the special spot in our hearts for being the first 3rd party character to enter Smash!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Even if he is lower than some of the veterans, he is still high on the poll, which is a good thing!
If this poll was conducted on a site like smash reddit or NeoGaf, I'm sure he would be much higher.

I'm fine with Sutherland tbh. Not that I like him better than David (I like David Hayter better)

If Snake comes back, you guys think Gray Fox will return (as an assist trophy) or Ninja Raiden will replace him?

Wishlist for Snake
1) F-tilt's damage is nerfed (5% first hit, 7% second hit)
2) U-tilt's range is now NOT DISJOINTED (Damage and KO power is still retained)
3) Grenade cooking is still a thing
4) NIKITA's waaaay faster and the damage is constantly at maybe 9 or 11% idk
5) His B-air and U-air should be his aerials with not much landing lag
6) D-smash is faster
7) F-smash is faster but weaker (16-25% damage)
8) Box meteor smashes hard lol

Thoughts? For the sake of not being ridiculous lol. Anyway, opinions are appreciated

Maybe gray fox could come back, Raiden is more recent, but gray fox is in many of the nintendo metal gear games. Maybe we could have both as variants of the same assist trophy.

As long as snake's up tilt still retains its KO and Damage, I'm fine with it. I liked the f-smash's power in brawl, but I'd be cool with it faster compensating for some damage.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Raiden is definitely more notable at this point than Gray Fox, but I'm still not sure.
Gray Fox was pretty cool with his voice and copy-pasted quotes from MGS1. "Make me feel alive agaiiiiin!"

Raiden was already in PSASBR, so it would feel a bit redundant to me. ...Should he have his first cyborg appearance from MGS4, or the newer one from Rising? Or just his original MGS2 appearance?

----

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Raiden's chances, if any, are hurt by PSASBR. He was pretty much the Snake substitute in that game, so having him appear as an AT would be awkward.

Psycho Mantis would be a better AT anyways, but will never top Gray Fox.

MAKE ME FEEL ALIIIIVE AGAIIIIN

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So, I just finished registering my copy of Smash Bros. 3DS on Club Nintendo and made it vocal that I was really looking forward to playing as Snake, but... then the core roster was finalized without him. Here's what I wrote for the "what are you looking forward to" section:
Yo, I'm going to do the same thing when I register the Wii U version. Hopefully Nintendo realizes the demand for Snake.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Raiden is definitely more notable at this point than Gray Fox, but I'm still not sure.
Gray Fox was pretty cool with his voice and copy-pasted quotes from MGS1. "Make me feel alive agaiiiiin!"

Raiden was already in PSASBR, so it would feel a bit redundant to me. ...Should he have his first cyborg appearance from MGS4, or the newer one from Rising? Or just his original MGS2 appearance?

----
I'd like Raiden to replace Gray Fox, but for the love of god please don't give him his Bishonen look. Give him his MGS4 or Rising look.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I still want to see a mixture of MGS4 and MGS2 raiden.
Not cyborg but with a older looking face. Like what he was going to have in the original rising.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
PURPLE STUFFED WORM IN FLAP JAW SPACE WITH THE TUNING FORK

RAW BLINK ON HARI KARI ROCK
あなたは何の意味も作るんだ!ちょうどあなたが言っている一体何を教えて!

On another topic: Would you like to see any personalized victory quotes from Snake? Similar to Fox (Is it just me or did they butcher his voice?), Lucina, and Palutena.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

On another topic: Would you like to see any personalized victory quotes from Snake? Similar to Fox (Is it just me or did they butcher his voice?), Lucina, and Palutena.
Go ahead.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

One would definitely have to be directed at Captain Falcon since Snake's an apparent fan. Hmm, would anyone mind if one of Snake's customs was a Falcon Punch?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Nothing would anger me more than if there actually was a Snake trophy in the Wii U version. If you got the rights from Konami to make a trophy, why not just port the whole character from Brawl?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Don't know what the commander video trophy means for snake.

I mean, it shows that they're willing to go through the legal stuff to get permission for 3rd party characters. So one could say legal issues won't be a big of deal stopping snake as dlc. But then again.., it's an indie trophy, and it probably wasn't that hard to get. But what do I know? :p
Then there's the rayman trophy. Don't know how they got the rights. If Ubisoft approached them, it's good for snake because the other party (Konami/Kojima) is open to it. If sakurai went for it, then it shows they were willing to go through the legal troubles for rayman, so why couldn't he do the same for snake?

Also, we must not let this thread fall to 2nd page! Come on guys!

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Nothing would anger me more than if there actually was a Snake trophy in the Wii U version. If you got the rights from Konami to make a trophy, why not just port the whole character from Brawl?
I guess there could be business and time constraint reasons for them not to, like for example, seeing that they might make more money by selling him directly. I don't think a trophy would hurt his chances at all.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they're saving him for timed DLC with the release of MGSV?

>_> <_<
This is my thought.

Couple it with:
  • The fact that Kojima stated he would like Snake in the Game
  • Keifer is unnaccounted for in his fighting game role
  • DLC lines up with MGS5 Release (if Spring like Mewtwo)
  • Solidarity is super suspicious. No way there can be that many references without a purpose.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
What reference did they make? Snake being mentioned during the last Smash direct?

Solidarity
Blood Relative
David and John are Snakes and Big Boss real names.

Might be us looking way too much into it but it's interesting nonetheless

Top Bottom