• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I like Rillaboom because it's the only one that looks more like the actual animal it was based on than an accident in a fur(scale?)suit.

But maybe I'm just bananas.

But also if we want to make the generalization that anything cool and tough is pandering to the boys we have to make the generalization that anything cute and cuddly panders to the girls. And in that respect, it's pretty equal. If, SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 you're looking for a series that will actually base most of its designs on masculine and feminine characteristics, perhaps one more about humans is a better bet. Because I don't think most people who dive into Pokemon are doing so to collect an army of warrior women.

Or, if you want to stick to Pokemon, you're going to have to get used to a) cute ones getting less cute, because that's been in since day one, b) designs you won't like, because you're hardly alone in that camp, and c) your priorities being seemingly more unorthodox than much of the fanbase, and therefore less likely to get prioritized.

But hey, there are hundreds of those ****ers, you just gotta pick yourself up, focus on the ones you like - because they do exist, hope for more in the future, and deal with not everything panning out the way you'd do it, because that's life. Ideally without calling anyone a traitor. But, y'know, baby steps.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
They are plenty of Pokémon that lean more on the feminine/cute design, I don’t see the point in going out of your way to complain about those that don’t. If you want cool girls, you’re gonna have some cool guys too. And even then, most Pokémon designs are gender netural. I dunno, the whole mentality just feels very “It’s not feminine = it’s bad” to me.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Street Fighter stuff should be tomorrow, for those that care.
It will be interesting to see what will be revealed today in which I predict they will unveil the final five characters for the fourth season pass.

Anyways, I have seen the news that the Mulan live action film is going to be on Disney+. It wouldn't be too much of a surprise if the likes of Pixar's Soul and Marvel Studio's Black Widow will follow suit considering if the pandemic is still ongoing.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I like the fire bunny because but then again it's also the best of a bad lot
Rillaboom is the generic looking "big guy" of the 3 starters that almost always seems to be grass for some reason and whatever the water starter's called looks like Randall from Monster Inc

Shroob

Sup?
Also

Sign me the **** up for Small Battlefield, I love this little ****.

Though, now with it existing and the 2 new random buttons, unless we're getting yet another row, which seems unlikely, it really does seem like Sakurai wasn't fibbing when he said "This is the last wave of DLC".

Though, there's 2 empty spots on the stage select screen(This is with Custom Stages on), makes me wonder if they'll slap together 2 more easy stages, maybe the WoL final boss stage.

Shroob

Sup?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
There is nothing more annoyingly minor than wanting McDonald's Breakfast and waking up past 10:30.

On the bright side having finished Ghost of Tsushima (cries) I'm thinking of getting one of my "big three backlog JRPGs" or a Platinum game as they will do me for a long time and I've enough money for the month.

1596624868197.png 1596624903347.png 1596625083872.png 1596626588560.png

Atelier Ryza, Sakura Wars, Persona 5 Royal and The Wonderful 101 Remaster. Three new IPs to me and a game that lost a coin toss to Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Or I could finish my backlog! Nah.

Gonna tag @JDCabrera and Lamperouge Lamperouge for this as you guys usually like my game thinking.

D

Deleted member

There is nothing more annoyingly minor than wanting McDonald's Breakfast and waking up past 10:30.

On the bright side having finished Ghost of Tsushima (cries) I'm thinking of getting one of my "big three backlog JRPGs" or a Platinum game as they will do me for a long time and I've enough money for the month.

View attachment 281373 View attachment 281374 View attachment 281375 View attachment 281377

Atelier Ryza, Sakura Wars, Persona 5 Royal and The Wonderful 101 Remaster. Three new IPs to me and a game that lost a coin toss to Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Or I could finish my backlog! Nah.

Gonna tag @JDCabrera and Lamperouge Lamperouge for this as you guys usually like my game thinking.
You seriously should play Sakura Wars.

It is likely one of the most underrated games of the year alongside Hylics 2 and the game's writing is so good It left some Sort of impact on me.

Persona 5 Royal is also good, but you should pick It sometime later as at least where I live It is easier to find than Sakura Wars.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OK, we got Small Battlefield.

But wen Medium Battlefield?

D

Deleted member

My biggest issue with the recent Pokemon designs are mostly the starters. So many of them turn humanoid, it's annoying. One of the worst might be Incineroar. Now don't get me wrong, I like Incineroar, I like the whole heel wrestler theme, but coming from Torracat it was a big let down. It didn't help it was yet another Fire/Fighter starter, at least themed like one. Yes, it's Fire/Dark, but still fighting themed with being a wrestler. I just want a proper tiger, why is that so hard? So far we only have Arcanine (kinda) and Raikou (a legendary and more based on a sabertooth tiger). It sucks even more because we had nearly gotten one not once, but twice, with Kotora being cut from two games.

But back to starters, this gen's starters might be the worst in my opinion, due to this very reason. When I see Intelleon or Cinderace I don't see an animal species, I see dudes in a fursuit. I really prefer more animalistic starters, like Venusaur, Swampert or Primarina, at least with those it feels believable you'd find them as a species in the wild. And honestly, Passimian did the whole sportsball theme better.

And speaking of rabbits, when are we finally gonna get a proper rabbit? So far we have a Playboy bunny (Lopunny), a fat construction worker (Diggersby), and a football player in a fursuit (Cinderace). I guess there's Azumarill, but really, the only rabbit-like things are the ears. But no, Game Freak would rather keep pumping out monkeys, which is getting stale by now.

Just my 2 cents on this.

D

Deleted member

My biggest issue with the recent Pokemon designs are mostly the starters. So many of them turn humanoid, it's annoying. One of the worst might be Incineroar. Now don't get me wrong, I like Incineroar, I like the whole heel wrestler theme, but coming from Torracat it was a big let down. It didn't help it was yet another Fire/Fighter starter, at least themed like one. Yes, it's Fire/Dark, but still fighting themed with being a wrestler. I just want a proper tiger, why is that so hard? So far we only have Arcanine (kinda) and Raikou (a legendary and more based on a sabertooth tiger). It sucks even more because we had nearly gotten one not once, but twice, with Kotora being cut from two games.

But back to starters, this gen's starters might be the worst in my opinion, due to this very reason. When I see Intelleon or Cinderace I don't see an animal species, I see dudes in a fursuit. I really prefer more animalistic starters, like Venusaur, Swampert or Primarina, at least with those it feels believable you'd find them as a species in the wild. And honestly, Passimian did the whole sportsball theme better.

And speaking of rabbits, when are we finally gonna get a proper rabbit? So far we have a Playboy bunny (Lopunny), a fat construction worker (Diggersby), and a football player in a fursuit (Cinderace). I guess there's Azumarill, but really, the only rabbit-like things are the ears. But no, Game Freak would rather keep pumping out monkeys, which is getting stale by now.

Just my 2 cents on this.
Honestly I can agree with saying that the newer starters don't really look like something you find in the wild. But for me that's less important than making them look visually appealing. Would you find an electric mouse in the wild? No, but that didn't stop GF from making Pikachu, yes? Not a great example mind you but it works. I like the newer starters more than the old visually speaking, but if I haven't made it painstakingly obvious I'm kinda biased in that regard, and like the argument Snake had earlier I agree with the general consensus in that if they keep making obvious furry bait/otherwise very weird-looking pokemon(like that one pokemon that's literally just sentiment garbage) it'll likely outcast more players than they take in, and for the biggest game franchise in the world that's a pretty big deal, considering Pokemon is a yearly game series. Even if say 100 people don't buy the new games just for that reason that's roughly $6000 you just lost there. A pretty big deal for most companies but for Pokemon that's a drop in the water... but the important part is that they COULD have had that money. It's a smarter move to play it safe in this day and age then go big on designs, which biases aside, I can respect.

Overall I agree with you and the majority regarding the argument we had this morning, but considering my biases I didn't feel it necessary to put my 2 cents in, except for right now.
After a bit of a delay, I finally got around to making that spaghetti.

Its almost done.
I'm gonna be making some

D

Deleted member

Would you find an electric mouse in the wild? No, but that didn't stop GF from making Pikachu, yes? Not a great example mind you but it works.
Honestly that argument doesn't make sense in the context provided. Ask yourself if you can picture finding an electric mouse in the wild in the context of the Pokemon world. To that I say yes. Pikachu is very much animalistic, in design in lore, just with elemental powers, which is common in said world. As a result it feels believable that Pikachu could exist is a species. On the other hand, something like Cinderace doesn't feel like a species, but rather an individual character. It takes a whole lot of suspension of disbelief to imagine you can find a bunch of humanoid, football playing rabbits in a forest Like, what are they doing, building football places all over the place? Just to then play sports the entire day? It doesn't feel believable even in said fantasy world. And Cinderace isn't the only one I feel like that about.

In short, I'm just really not a fan when a Pokemon comes across more like a character than a species. But hey, I guess it's easier to make cool action figures of humanoids. Also easier to animate in the anime. Money talks.

But then again, Game Freak doesn't really try to bother all that much with world building anymore anyway. Case in point, the "lore" behind Mega Evolution and Dynamax.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We gonna just ignore Delphox, Serperior, and Primarina then?

I mean I’m a guy. I will always gravitate more towards the cool ass characters. Yeah that differs for individuals but cool ass characters are going to appeal to guys more than cute characters. It’s just how the world rolls. There are exceptions of course but there are exceptions to the cool rule everywhere. Nitpicking a specific Pokémon that you think should’ve been better just seems, well, nit picky. I mean they’re all cool designs but that’s not the direction they wanted to take with Grookey. And, so, here we are.
I like Rillaboom because it's the only one that looks more like the actual animal it was based on than an accident in a fur(scale?)suit.

But maybe I'm just bananas.

But also if we want to make the generalization that anything cool and tough is pandering to the boys we have to make the generalization that anything cute and cuddly panders to the girls. And in that respect, it's pretty equal. If, SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 you're looking for a series that will actually base most of its designs on masculine and feminine characteristics, perhaps one more about humans is a better bet. Because I don't think most people who dive into Pokemon are doing so to collect an army of warrior women.

Or, if you want to stick to Pokemon, you're going to have to get used to a) cute ones getting less cute, because that's been in since day one, b) designs you won't like, because you're hardly alone in that camp, and c) your priorities being seemingly more unorthodox than much of the fanbase, and therefore less likely to get prioritized.

But hey, there are hundreds of those ****ers, you just gotta pick yourself up, focus on the ones you like - because they do exist, hope for more in the future, and deal with not everything panning out the way you'd do it, because that's life. Ideally without calling anyone a traitor. But, y'know, baby steps.
I’m just dissapointed is all. The only reason I was expecting what I was out of Grookey was because of the past two gems doing the whole “masculine, feminine, cool” trio of archetypes common in most media for the starters. Something that I like because it covers more bases and gives more people a starter they might actually like. And since the feminine archetype had already been done by a fire and water starter... fill in the gaps. But they dropped that and gave us two masculine ones and a “cool” one that looks like a dork.

There are lots of very personal reasons I had tried to get into Pokémon. But as it turns out the series and I seam to be fundamentally incompatible. Which is a real shame. I’ve always loved prehistoric animals and animals in general. And the values of friendship and growth espoused by the games marketing was something I really needed during a very trying era in my life where I had dropped very low into some very dark places. But as I went on with the marketing and pre-release stuff for the game I became disappointed by many of the game’s decisions and that really hurt. I felt betrayed. And it doesn’t look like any of those decisions are going to be fixed or walked back any time soon.

At this point, what I think would be nice is to not give the ugly, or “cool”, Pokémon cute baby forms. I don’t care about realism. I just want to know right when I see a Pokémon if I’m gonna like it’s fully evolved form too without having to google it. That way there are no more traps in Pokémon.

Oh what do I even care. The games are gonna cut routes and any semblance of linearity in the future anyway so it’s not like I’d have any fun with them anyway because life sucks.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I bought some Italian cake things.

And just when I'm going to do some story work, my brain is like "haha, me go dumb mode"

Public service talk.

D

Deleted member

Honestly that argument doesn't make sense in the context provided. Ask yourself if you can picture finding an electric mouse in the wild in the context of the Pokemon world. To that I say yes. Pikachu is very much animalistic, in design in lore, just with elemental powers, which is common in said world. As a result it feels believable that Pikachu could exist is a species. On the other hand, something like Cinderace doesn't feel like a species, but rather an individual character. It takes a whole lot of suspension of disbelief to imagine you can find a bunch of humanoid, football playing rabbits in a forest Like, what are they doing, building football places all over the place? Just to then play sports the entire day? It doesn't feel believable even in said fantasy world. And Cinderace isn't the only one I feel like that about.

In short, I'm just really not a fan when a Pokemon comes across more like a character than a species. But hey, I guess it's easier to make cool action figures of humanoids. Also easier to animate in the anime. Money talks.

But then again, Game Freak doesn't really try to bother all that much with world building anymore anyway. Case in point, the "lore" behind Mega Evolution and Dynamax.
Maybe I should have used a different example...
I don't disagree with saying that pokemon like Cinderace require a very high suspension of disbelief, but what I'm trying to say is that's hardly an issue when you have pokemon:
  • that is literally just trash
  • sentient ice cream which gets more cream each time it evolves
  • a literal plant with a bulb on it's back(Venusaur)
  • a turtle with water guns(Blastoise)
  • a psychic cat looking thing(Mew and Mewtwo)
  • two doggos, one with a sword in it's mouth and another with a shield literally in itself
There's alot more I could think of I bet but for time's sake I'll stop there
Like you already have to suspended a lot of disbelief to accept some of these designs, I hardly think anthropomorphic animals in the context of Pokemon are really all that different from the rest of the weird and wacky designs going through all the generations.(like seriously how does Blastoise even FIRE those cannons on his back?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’m just dissapointed is all. The only reason I was expecting what I was out of Grookey was because of the past two gems doing the whole “masculine, feminine, cool” trio of archetypes common in most media for the starters. Something that I like because it covers more bases and gives more people a starter they might actually like. And since the feminine archetype had already been done by a fire and water starter... fill in the gaps. But they dropped that and gave us two masculine ones and a “cool” one that looks like a dork.

There are lots of very personal reasons I had tried to get into Pokémon. But as it turns out the series and I seam to be fundamentally incompatible. Which is a real shame. I’ve always loved prehistoric animals and animals in general. And the values of friendship and growth espoused by the games marketing was something I really needed during a very trying era in my life where I had dropped very low into some very dark places. But as I went on with the marketing and pre-release stuff for the game I became disappointed by many of the game’s decisions and that really hurt. I felt betrayed. And it doesn’t look like any of those decisions are going to be fixed or walked back any time soon.

At this point, what I think would be nice is to not give the ugly, or “cool”, Pokémon cute baby forms. I don’t care about realism. I just want to know right when I see a Pokémon if I’m gonna like it’s fully evolved form too without having to google it. That way there are no more traps in Pokémon.

Oh what do I even care. The games are gonna cut routes and any semblance of linearity in the future anyway so it’s not like I’d have any fun with them anyway because life sucks.
To be fair, Pokémon isn’t baiting you. You’re baiting yourself by expecting what isn’t garunteed.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo casually dropping bombs for no reason
Xbox tryna be equal to other gamers
...and there’s Sony keeping Marvel exclusives for another Avengers game (first Lego Avengers with the Civil War exclusive content, now SE Avengers with the Spidey and so much more)

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
For my next story on AO3 I plan on writing a poem. But a serious one. About mental health and how important it is to watch after your friends.

D

Deleted member

Btw, in about three hours there will be SFV reveals over here:

https://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

Since I won't be able to catch It live due to the meeting with my IRL friends I want to ask the people here to tag me if they announce Guy from Final Fight as part of the new fighters (as he was in SFIV and was my secondary main).

Gonna tag Sari Sari in case they do watch It.

D

Deleted member

The games are still incredibly linear though. Just because routes might be gone, doesn't mean story progression suddenly becomes non-linear. Even Isle of Armor is linear, despite lack of routes. The game doesn't give you a choice how to tackle the story, it's very much "go there, do that, now go there", with no alternatives. The game even marks your map.

But if routes are that big of a deal, I'd recommend the DS games. Gen 5 is considered to be among the best games, with a much bigger focus on story and HGSS are really well done remakes. Also a lot of people like Platinum, though I can't give an opinion on that. Being older games, they do naturally lack some of the modern Pokemon and QoL changes.

Maybe I should have used a different example...
I don't disagree with saying that pokemon like Cinderace require a very high suspension of disbelief, but what I'm trying to say is that's hardly an issue when you have pokemon:
  • that is literally just trash
  • sentient ice cream which gets more cream each time it evolves
  • a literal plant with a bulb on it's back(Venusaur)
  • a turtle with water guns(Blastoise)
  • a psychic cat looking thing(Mew and Mewtwo)
  • two doggos, one with a sword in it's mouth and another with a shield literally in itself
There's alot more I could think of I bet but for time's sake I'll stop there
Like you already have to suspended a lot of disbelief to accept some of these designs, I hardly think anthropomorphic animals in the context of Pokemon are really all that different from the rest of the weird and wacky designs going through all the generations.(like seriously how does Blastoise even FIRE those cannons on his back?)
Well, I did say Cinderace isn't the only one I have an issue with, but to go into your examples:
  • I'll give you Garbodor, though at least it's more of a monster than humanoid
  • I mean, animals based on things do exist in real life, so it's not too farfetched that an Ice Pokemon based on ice cream is a thing
  • The 'saurs are frogs, also it's explained via Bulbasaur's dex that the seed is planted there.
  • Blastoise is also weird, yes, maybe its original pre-evo would've shed light into it, but that's lost to time.
  • Psychic humans do exist in Pokemon, so why not monsters, too? Also Mew is meant to be special, while Mewtwo is an artficial clone.
  • Lol Gen 8. Also apparently dog with sword is more or less a thing in media, see Dark Souls, Tales of and now Pokemon.
This just dropped:
At this point they're just beating up the corpse of the Wii U.

D

Deleted member

While Routes are gone in the latest dlc the story is still very linear.
I don't get your obsession with routes and linearity, if anything Pokemon is supposed to be a game series where you forge your own journey, your own adventure. But the way the games are right now everyone does the exact same thing, and at the exact same time, with no breaks or anything inbetween each story beat, which is dull and boring. You "have" to complete the story, do all the endgame stuff that everyone else does, before you can even start the fun part of raising your own team, training them, forming lasting bonds with them, and the like. I could go on and on but I feel this guy's video summarizes my points well:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom