• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Seriously though, I've been wanting to play Pikmin for ages properly so sorry Watch Dogs Legion but I'm getting this as my side to Cold Steel IV. My only experience was a rental of the second game.

And now only two remain for Wii U games to come to Switch.

1596637386213.png 1596637075730.png

And then I shall be satisfied.

Hey guys, good morning!
Afternoon!

Hola, como estas?
Soy......bueno I think the reply is. JD can you correct me on that? Been a while for me Spanish wise.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
This just dropped:

I feel I've said this to death, but as nice as this is, I can only feel annoyed whenever Nintendo randomly announces big(ish) things out of absolutely nowhere. It doesn't feel very good having that hype largely reduced because your first exposure to it was a GameXplain video appearing randomly in your YouTube recommended rather than, say, a previously announced Direct, where everyone is first seeing it at the same time the moment it gets revealed. I'm pretty sure this is just me, but every announcement they make randomly on Twitter makes me anxious there may not be a Direct for a while, since they would fit greatly in a Direct but Nintendo presumably chose not to show them there. I apologise if I sound entitled to a full Direct; I just don't like how we've now gone 11 months without one.

In other news, I installed Dolphin the other day. Don't really feel like downloading any games for it, though, so for now it's a nice little empty Wii System Menu emulator. Thinking of checking out Project+, as well as the nightmare of any Mii-based game without the Mii Channel installed.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There is nothing more annoyingly minor than wanting McDonald's Breakfast and waking up past 10:30.

On the bright side having finished Ghost of Tsushima (cries) I'm thinking of getting one of my "big three backlog JRPGs" or a Platinum game as they will do me for a long time and I've enough money for the month.

View attachment 281373 View attachment 281374 View attachment 281375 View attachment 281377

Atelier Ryza, Sakura Wars, Persona 5 Royal and The Wonderful 101 Remaster. Three new IPs to me and a game that lost a coin toss to Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Or I could finish my backlog! Nah.

Gonna tag @JDCabrera and Lamperouge Lamperouge for this as you guys usually like my game thinking.
I've only played Royal out of your choices but maybe you should follow @JDCabrera advice and pick up Sakura Wars before it becomes too hard to find.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The games are still incredibly linear though. Just because routes might be gone, doesn't mean story progression suddenly becomes non-linear. Even Isle of Armor is linear, despite lack of routes. The game doesn't give you a choice how to tackle the story, it's very much "go there, do that, now go there", with no alternatives. The game even marks your map.

But if routes are that big of a deal, I'd recommend the DS games. Gen 5 is considered to be among the best games, with a much bigger focus on story and HGSS are really well done remakes. Also a lot of people like Platinum, though I can't give an opinion on that. Being older games, they do naturally lack some of the modern Pokemon and QoL changes.

Well, I did say Cinderace isn't the only one I have an issue with, but to go into your examples:
  • I'll give you Garbodor, though at least it's more of a monster than humanoid
  • I mean, animals based on things do exist in real life, so it's not too farfetched that an Ice Pokemon based on ice cream is a thing
  • The 'saurs are frogs, also it's explained via Bulbasaur's dex that the seed is planted there.
  • Blastoise is also weird, yes, maybe its original pre-evo would've shed light into it, but that's lost to time.
  • Psychic humans do exist in Pokemon, so why not monsters, too? Also Mew is meant to be special, while Mewtwo is an artficial clone.
  • Lol Gen 8. Also apparently dog with sword is more or less a thing in media, see Dark Souls, Tales of and now Pokemon.
At this point they're just beating up the corpse of the Wii U.
That’s contrary to what I was told. I was told that eventually it just boils down to “wander and grind”.

And considering how much praise the Wild areas are getting... yeah. Routes are gone. Going Non-linear gIves them an excuse to give even less of a **** about story then they already do. And considering it’s something that the fans actually want, they’ed be stupid not to from a business perspective. Saves them a heck of a lot of time and money not having to actually design areas to progress through and thing of some semblance of a plot. They can just build their massive open world, let a level 1 player wander into the final boss and get murdered, and have the story be basically non existent. Just go to a town and fight the gym. No thought put into progression or story. No thought into making it an actual experience. Just existing and occasionally fighting Pokémon if you happen to find some and catching them if you happen to find one you like.

Dutch Raikuna

Well time for a self-block to watch Fantasy Edge of Tommorow Re:Zero Season 2 and get some story through. A week has passed since the last episode so I'll make something from there my new pfp.

I've only played Royal out of your choices but maybe you should follow @JDCabrera advice and pick up Sakura Wars before it becomes too hard to find.
I'm actually just digital for PS4 I should mention. It can be loud with them.

I'll see about but I'm leaning towards P5R as it is only at a tempting price until mid-night. I'll check more physical prices and such.

Speak to you all in a few hours.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just existing and occasionally fighting Pokémon if you happen to find some and catching them if you happen to find one you like.
Snake... that's exactly what I want in Pokemon. I can't speak for everyone else but I couldn't care less about the story, I want to just rush to the area(s) I want to go and raise the perfect team I want without going through a snoozefest of story that I don't give a **** about. I'm fine with routes and all that but I want to forge my own path, my own destiny, in the games. Not be forced to go to X location, then Y location, then Z location, etc until I complete the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
While Routes are gone in the latest dlc the story is still very linear.
I don't get your obsession with routes and linearity, if anything Pokemon is supposed to be a game series where you forge your own journey, your own adventure. But the way the games are right now everyone does the exact same thing, and at the exact same time, with no breaks or anything inbetween each story beat, which is dull and boring. You "have" to complete the story, do all the endgame stuff that everyone else does, before you can even start the fun part of raising your own team, training them, forming lasting bonds with them, and the like. I could go on and on but I feel this guy's video summarizes my points well:
If I want to forge my own adventure, I’ll write my own story with no restrictions. I formed pretty strong bonds with the mons on my team and I ONLY did the story. Sometimes I boot the game up just to play with them in camp. And how is actual progression dull and boring? How is an actual story dull and boring? It gives you context and reason for being where you are and doing what you’re doing. You actually go along a journey and progress instead of “woops I just started and I bumped into enternatus and now I’m dead”. That’s no fun. That’s demoralizing. Your asking them to throw the baby out with the bath water because the parents aren’t feeding it well and giving it exercise when the obvious answer is to take better care of the baby. I’ll give your video a watch but something tells me we won’t agree on much.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake... that's exactly what I want in Pokemon. I can't speak for everyone else but I couldn't care less about the story, I want to just rush to the area(s) I want to go and raise the perfect team I want without going through a snoozefest of story that I don't give a **** about. I'm fine with routes and all that but I want to forge my own path, my own destiny, in the games. Not be forced to go to X location, then Y location, then Z location, etc until I complete the story.
Well then congratulations, YOU WIN! Because that’s exactly what they’re gonna do going forward. It’s my fault for being depressed to the point of attempting to take my own life and seeing Pokémon and thinking “hey, maybe this can be something to look forward to” to give me some sort of light at the end of the deep dark tunnel I’m stuck in. I’m sorry that I want actual direction, progression, and story in my games and I’m so sorry my expressing of that opinion on the internet almost took that away from you. I’m so sorry I tried something new and I’m so sorry I even TOUCHED sword and shield. Should have just returned it after I got it for Christmas.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why are we having ANOTHER debate about linearity with the person who doesn't understand what linearity means again
Why is it that you only seem to pop up to be mad at me when I’m upset about something. I used to consider you a friend and was extremely sad to see you go. But if this is all your gonna do then just leave. Your life will probably be better off.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well then congratulations, YOU WIN! Because that’s exactly what they’re gonna do going forward. It’s my fault for being depressed to the point of attempting to take my own life and seeing Pokémon and thinking “hey, maybe this can be something to look forward to” to give me some sort of light at the end of the deep dark tunnel I’m stuck in. I’m sorry that I want actual direction, progression, and story in my games and I’m so sorry my expressing of that opinion on the internet almost took that away from you. I’m so sorry I tried something new and I’m so sorry I even TOUCHED sword and shield. Should have just returned it after I got it for Christmas.
You seriously need a break to cool down. Take a walk, watch a movie, do something that helps you relax.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Pimin 3, remember this?View attachment 281389
By far one of the best things Nintendo's ever done. Saved me $60 on Wind Waker
That's how I got Pikmin 3 originally. And I got Animal Crossing NL via a similar promotion. Wish they'd do it again.

While Routes are gone in the latest dlc the story is still very linear.
I don't get your obsession with routes and linearity, if anything Pokemon is supposed to be a game series where you forge your own journey, your own adventure. But the way the games are right now everyone does the exact same thing, and at the exact same time, with no breaks or anything inbetween each story beat, which is dull and boring. You "have" to complete the story, do all the endgame stuff that everyone else does, before you can even start the fun part of raising your own team, training them, forming lasting bonds with them, and the like. I could go on and on but I feel this guy's video summarizes my points well:
That's a big reason why I love Gen 1 for reasons other than nostalgia and glitch abuse, the freedom. You could tackle the gyms in nearly any order, with very few exceptions.

That’s contrary to what I was told. I was told that eventually it just boils down to “wander and grind”.

And considering how much praise the Wild areas are getting... yeah. Routes are gone. Going Non-linear gIves them an excuse to give even less of a **** about story then they already do. And considering it’s something that the fans actually want, they’ed be stupid not to from a business perspective. Saves them a heck of a lot of time and money not having to actually design areas to progress through and thing of some semblance of a plot. They can just build their massive open world, let a level 1 player wander into the final boss and get murdered, and have the story be basically non existent. Just go to a town and fight the gym. No thought put into progression or story. No thought into making it an actual experience. Just existing and occasionally fighting Pokémon if you happen to find some and catching them if you happen to find one you like.
What you're describing is a bad way to implement open world, not the only way. At the same time, bad linear games also exist, it's not wise to throw every game under a blanket. Though I will be honest and say I don't trust GF to make a good open world game. I don't trust them to make a good linear game either though...

Seriously, go check out Gen 5 or HGSS, they're often considered to be peak Pokemon.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
>Me seeing any Pokemon Debate be like
mewtwo nope.jpg

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Btw, in about three hours there will be SFV reveals over here:

https://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

Since I won't be able to catch It live due to the meeting with my IRL friends I want to ask the people here to tag me if they announce Guy from Final Fight as part of the new fighters (as he was in SFIV and was my secondary main).

Gonna tag Sari Sari in case they do watch It.
I haven't played SFV in forever (mostly because I have to use my brother's PC which can barely run it) but I'm still excited to see who gets revealed. Kind of wish it could get ported to Switch so I can spam Alex's lariat move try out all the new characters that have released since Sakura's release which was around the time I stopped playing.

Only character I'm really certain will happen is Fei Long not having a V-Trigger where he uses nunchuks would be a giant missed opportunity). C. Viper and Makoto are also safe bets.

I'm personally hoping for Hugo, Maki, or T. Hawk.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Just go to a town and fight the gym. No thought put into progression or story. No thought into making it an actual experience. Just existing and occasionally fighting Pokémon if you happen to find some and catching them if you happen to find one you like.
You've just described Gen 6

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I haven't played SFV in forever (mostly because I have to use my brother's PC which can barely run it) but I'm still excited to see who gets revealed. Kind of wish it could get ported to Switch so I can spam Alex's lariat move try out all the new characters that have released since Sakura's release which was around the time I stopped playing.

Only character I'm really certain will happen is Fei Long not having a V-Trigger where he uses nunchuks would be a giant missed opportunity). C. Viper and Makoto are also safe bets.

I'm personally hoping for Hugo, Maki, or T. Hawk.
Hehe you mentioned a lariat when Haggar's like top 3 most requested SF characters

D

Deleted member

uh.. since things are starting to get pretty heated, here's my doggo tax for today

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Speaking of SFV, hope Makoto make it today, if only for the AAAAAAAAAABSSSS.

Well, that, and she inspired Marsa in some parts.

D

Deleted member

Gen 6 had gyms? Can't remember them.
I literally only remember the first one because I got down to 1 pokemon due to those annoying bug pokemon, and the fighting one because of the anime. But that's it

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm mostly hoping for Oro, C. Viper, and Maki to be revealed for SF5.

Dudley would be awesome too.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's how I got Pikmin 3 originally. And I got Animal Crossing NL via a similar promotion. Wish they'd do it again.

That's a big reason why I love Gen 1 for reasons other than nostalgia and glitch abuse, the freedom. You could tackle the gyms in nearly any order, with very few exceptions.

What you're describing is a bad way to implement open world, not the only way. At the same time, bad linear games also exist, it's not wise to throw every game under a blanket. Though I will be honest and say I don't trust GF to make a good open world game. I don't trust them to make a good linear game either though...

Seriously, go check out Gen 5 or HGSS, they're often considered to be peak Pokemon.
Looking into them..... nope. Those are WAY too expensive. Unless they're sold digitally and are cheaper that way, not touching them. Not really into the starters either tbh.

D

Deleted member

Looking into them..... nope. Those are WAY too expensive. Unless they're sold digitally and are cheaper that way, not touching them. Not really into the starters either tbh.
iirc they're a Virtual Console on the 3ds for those, for like... I want to say under $10? And the 3ds right now is already a dead console but in that weird period of time where unopened boxes are still somewhere out there in large quantities so it's likely going to be pretty cheap to pick a 3ds up if you don't have one
If nothing else a DS is super cheap(I have like 3 of them I bought for under $50 from garage sales mostly) and Gen 5 carts are everywhere these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Speaking of Pimin 3, remember this?View attachment 281389
By far one of the best things Nintendo's ever done. Saved me $60 on Wind Waker
They really should port Wind waker to the switch, that and Pikmin 3 were my favorites.

Nobody plays Pokemon for the story unless you're like a hardcore Gen 5 fan lol.

What we do want is a main game that isn't barebones.
THANK YOU that's ALL we've been getting from Pokemon since gen 6.

The only exceptions being the gen 3 and Yellow remakes, which were kinda good but only because they were built on already fantastic games.

You seriously should play Sakura Wars.

It is likely one of the most underrated games of the year alongside Hylics 2 and the game's writing is so good It left some Sort of impact on me.

Persona 5 Royal is also good, but you should pick It sometime later as at least where I live It is easier to find than Sakura Wars.
Y'all should listen to this man's advice, Sakura wars is great. And the director apparently stated he wants a Switch port at some point so you'll have nothing to lose if that happens.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

There's a small flaw in this argument, when has gamefreak EVER listened to the fans?

Dutch Raikuna

Well I just watched the next episode of Re:Zero 2. I tend to forget that this is a thriller, first and foremost but morbid curiosity keeps me forward. I think it's the same as people who have watched Parasyte. The anime is just ****ed.
Now I feel like my intestines are going to fall out. That was a freaky as hell death.

You've just described Gen 6
I think the only reason I still remember gen 6 is because of Greninja.

Y'all should listen to this man's advice, Sakura wars is great. And the director apparently stated he wants a Switch port at some point so you'll have nothing to lose if that happens.
Stop making this harder. I was leaning towards P5R but you had to rope me back.

And now a potential Switch port if it goes through. Dammit!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
They really should port Wind waker to the switch, that and Pikmin 3 were my favorites.

THANK YOU that's ALL we've been getting from Pokemon since gen 6.

The only exceptions being the gen 3 and Yellow remakes, which were kinda good but only because they were built on already fantastic games.

Sun and Moon's main game had substance, but then they removed it in Ultra, which is the biggest issue I have with the game.

But then the Swtich games were... Let's Go! was fine, it was just Gen 1 x PokeGO, a distraction at worst. But base SwSh? lol.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There's a small flaw in this argument, when has gamefreak EVER listened to the fans?
Honestly, GF does respond to feedback, but they tend to overcorrect. Gen 5's linearity (and even certain changes to Platinum) was a result of complaints from kids getting lost in Sinnoh in DP, Gen 6's heavy reliance on nostalgia was definitely a response to Gen 5's heavy use of new Pokemon, and Gen 7's emphasis on story was probably a result of Gen 6 getting criticized for it. Also, the Wild Area is definitely a response to fans wanting a more open world experience, the issue came down to its execution more.

Really, what GF needs is a bigger team and more time and resources. It's clear that most of their struggles is because they're trying to keep up a busy schedule that they have no means of supporting. Gen 8 was probably at its most apparent, but even Gen 6 and 7 had those woes and they should be allowed more breathing room if they're going to continue making HD c

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Big oof
Honestly, GF does respond to feedback, but they tend to overcorrect. Gen 5's linearity (and even certain changes to Platinum) was a result of complaints from kids getting lost in Sinnoh in DP, Gen 6's heavy reliance on nostalgia was definitely a response to Gen 5's heavy use of new Pokemon, and Gen 7's emphasis on story was probably a result of Gen 6 getting criticized for it. Also, the Wild Area is definitely a response to fans wanting a more open world experience, the issue came down to its execution more.

Really, what GF needs is a bigger team and more time and resources. It's clear that most of their struggles is because they're trying to keep up a busy schedule that they have no means of supporting. Gen 8 was probably at its most apparent, but even Gen 6 and 7 had those woes and they should be allowed more breathing room if they're going to continue making HD c
But that means no yearly Pokemon game and that's illegal

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

This right here. GF does listen, but their execution isn't good most of the time, or they just go way too far.

Let's not forget all the massive QoL improvements Gen 8 brought that fixed many issues plauging the series

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
How're you liking season 2, Noi?

Amphibia's 2nd season is more serialized while still enjoying some strong Slice of Life and action episodes while the overarching story progresses. That's all I'll say.

That, and that I'm really enjoying it. Binge the Owl House as soon as it'a available, Zach. I'm pretty confident you won't regret it.

I totally agree on Amphibia, and I'm glad you're enjoying the second half of The Owl House as well! I don't get many opportunities to talk about the show, and I totally wanna talk about it lol.

What's your overall opinion on The Owl House so far?
It’s pretty good. The main cast is perfect and Alex Hirsch is hilarious in it. I think the lore has a lot of potential and I’m fully convinced on the theories that Edea is Stans Ed wife and King is Bill reincarnated. The show has has some smart hints towards the later. Weather or not that affects anything later I don’t know. The Emperor should be an interesting villain though. And Amity is a very well written bully character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys picture this.

Imagine if tomorrow aliens suddenly came to earth and they release some kind of mist all around the earth and to our disbelief made us all immune to diseases and viruses (Dogs and cats included as well as them and anyone born afterward) including coronavirus even new ones that could arise in the future and then just leaves without even saying a single word.

How does the world react to all of this?

D

Deleted member

Guys picture this.

Imagine if tomorrow aliens suddenly came to earth and they release some kind of mist all around the earth and to our disbelief made us all immune to diseases and viruses (Dogs and cats included as well as them and anyone born afterward) including coronavirus even new ones that could arise in the future and then just leaves without even saying a single word.

How does the world react to all of this?
1) why
2) wtf
3) Okay that's pretty neat *goes back to doing what I was doing*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom