• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's an elephant, Snake.

That's what elephants LOOK like.

Baby elephants always look cuter than adults.
And it’s also a Pokémon in a video game meant to entertain created and designed by humans. Realism is not an excuse.

And I’m not saying it’s a bad design. I’m just saying that I don’t like it and wish I had an alternate option for what is literally my favorite non-extinct animal.

Same problem I have with the starters. There are just no options if you don’t like the choices presented to you and it’s not like you can choose not to pick a starter and go find a different mon you might actually want. And it’s very frustrating to express opinions like that and be told “bUt thaT’s WHaT gOriLLaS LoOk lIkE!”

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah. I’m not saying that the current version should go away. I’m just saying what I would like instead. I love elephants. But I don’t love Copperajah and that is disappointing to me.

Lots of Pokémon feel like... for lack of a better word, traps. They luer you in with a cute design and your all excited to see what your new friend turns into when it evolves and then BAM ten year old boy pandering. They don’t pander to any other demographics and it barely goes the other way and it just... it just sucks. I want a team of bad ass looking proud female warrior mons. Not a bunch that are basically all examples of the Brawn Hilda trope.
Most Pokémon evolutions are simply cool looking animals.

I feel like you feel like it’s a “trap” because you expect/hope for a particularly feminine evolution from a Pokémon that hasn’t promised you that. I mean you can like what you like, but it’s not the Pokémon’s fault it didn’t live up to your very specific tastes.

Shroob

Sup?
And it’s also a Pokémon in a video game meant to entertain created and designed by humans. Realism is not an excuse.

And I’m not saying it’s a bad design. I’m just saying that I don’t like it and wish I had an alternate option for what is literally my favorite non-extinct animal.

Same problem I have with the starters. There are just no options if you don’t like the choices presented to you and it’s not like you can choose not to pick a starter and go find a different mon you might actually want. And it’s very frustrating to express opinions like that and be told “bUt thaT’s WHaT gOriLLaS LoOk lIkE!”
I think the issue here is:

You're trying to relate to your Pokemon like they're an actual character, when, for the most part, they're moreso pets or monsters.

I love my dog, but I realize.... she's a dog. We don't have anything in common.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Aye, your back. How's life been treatin' ya, aside from all the obvious 2020 BS?
House hunting can suck a ****, and I’m really just waiting to move and for COVID to chill out for me to finally get my stuff in order, but besides that I’m alright. Tryin to see if I can make a side scrolling platformer in the meantime. Thanks for asking.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hello yes I follow frog show
How're you liking season 2, Noi?

I have to wait until they get put on Disney+.

I really loved Season 1 of Amphibia, though. I'm really looking forward to seeing Season 2.
Amphibia's 2nd season is more serialized while still enjoying some strong Slice of Life and action episodes while the overarching story progresses. That's all I'll say.

That, and that I'm really enjoying it. Binge the Owl House as soon as it'a available, Zach. I'm pretty confident you won't regret it.

KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms

I have been watching both. Amphibia has been knocking it out and the back half of Owl House is looking pretty good. Understanding Willow was a crazy episode and such a well done development episode.
I totally agree on Amphibia, and I'm glad you're enjoying the second half of The Owl House as well! I don't get many opportunities to talk about the show, and I totally wanna talk about it lol.

What's your overall opinion on The Owl House so far?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Most Pokémon evolutions are simply cool looking animals.

I feel like you feel like it’s a “trap” because you expect/hope for a particularly feminine evolution from a Pokémon that hasn’t promised you that. I mean you can like what you like, but it’s not the Pokémon’s fault it didn’t live up to your very specific tastes.
I think it’s less that I am upset for not living up to my very specific tastes and more so that I don’t automatically associate masculine design elements with cool. If I were to think of something cool I would probably think of something along the lines of what I drew. And sure, not every Pokémon can fit that mold. But surely I can have more options then 5 lines out of the whole damn region. Especially when lots of other people get... like... hundreds.

Just balance it out more. Cool can be masculine and cool can be feminine. So try to have a good amount of both. Don’t just do hundreds of Rillabooms and throw in maybe one Hatterene. And for gods sake include more options for starters! Either give them more divergent evolutionary paths or just have more then three lines to choose from.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
House hunting can suck a ****, and I’m really just waiting to move and for COVID to chill out for me to finally get my stuff in order, but besides that I’m alright. Tryin to see if I can make a side scrolling platformer in the meantime. Thanks for asking.
No prob. I'm thinking of opening up commission work soon, while looking for a new, more steady job(something I don't want to get too deep into, but it is what it is). As you can imagine, like many others, the COVID is NOT helping with that. But overall, I got it better than others. It's tough out here in these streets man.

If you got a Twitter or Instagram, let me know, cause I'd like to see more of your art work. And good luck with the game! I'm sure it'll be cool.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
No prob. I'm thinking of opening up commission work soon, while looking for a new, more steady job(something I don't want to get too deep into, but it is what it is). As you can imagine, like many others, the COVID is NOT helping with that. But overall, I got it better than others. It's tough out here in these streets man.

If you got a Twitter or Instagram, let me know, cause I'd like to see more of your art work. And good luck with the game! I'm sure it'll be cool.
I’ve been thinking of making a Twitter one of these days, when I get around to making one I’ll let you know! Good luck with the job and the commissions.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think the issue here is:

You're trying to relate to your Pokemon like they're an actual character, when, for the most part, they're moreso pets or monsters.

I love my dog, but I realize.... she's a dog. We don't have anything in common.
That is literally not the point. If I don’t like the way a person looks I’m probably not gonna get it. I’m gonna keep hunting around for one that I do like. Because if I like the way it looks I’m more able to get to know it and it’s quirks and personality. But in this instance there just aren’t many choices for Pokémon I would actually want to sink my time and resources into. And remember. Gengar and Mewtwo are two of my favorite Pokémon.

Plus, how would you feel if you brought your new puppy home, you spent all your time playing with it and getting to know it and training it, and then one day it just grows extra limbs and a completely different personality and starts tearing up your house and hunting owls. That is not what you signed up for and you had no idea this is what would happen.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I will say I have not been playing many games as I could be during the quarantine.

On the plus side, this year as been the year I've drawn the most stuff. Hell, I've even animated a few of short loops too. And I roughed out an animatic.

It's a couple of things I can add to my animation reel, I suppose. Really tho I should start up some major project. Those take long as hell, but that's the nature of the beast. Until then, a few smaller projects can work out well.

Shroob

Sup?
That is literally not the point. If I don’t like the way a person looks I’m probably not gonna get it. I’m gonna keep hunting around for one that I do like. Because if I like the way it looks I’m more able to get to know it and it’s quirks and personality. But in this instance there just aren’t many choices for Pokémon I would actually want to sink my time and resources into. And remember. Gengar and Mewtwo are two of my favorite Pokémon.

Plus, how would you feel if you brought your new puppy home, you spent all your time playing with it and getting to know it and training it, and then one day it just grows extra limbs and a completely different personality and starts tearing up your house and hunting owls. That is not what you signed up for and you had no idea this is what would happen.
I mean, that happens to every dog. It's called "They're a puppy and then they get older".

And tbh, I 100% think that's the issue here. You like more feminine designs, which, there's nothing wrong with that per se, but it's also... they're animals.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, that happens to every dog. It's called "They're a puppy and then they get older".

And tbh, I 100% think that's the issue here. You like more feminine designs, which, there's nothing wrong with that per se, but it's also... they're animals.
And that goes back to what I said earlier about how they aren’t real and exist entirely for our entertainment. They don’t have to abide by the rules of how actual animals work. So why can’t there be some more feminine designs in amongst the hyper masculine “spikes just because, lots of muscles” Pokémon we already have in abundance.

Shroob

Sup?
And that goes back to what I said earlier about how they aren’t real and exist entirely for our entertainment. They don’t have to abide by the rules of how actual animals work. So why can’t there be some more feminine designs in amongst the hyper masculine “spikes just because, lots of muscles” Pokémon we already have in abundance.
I mean, you're not wrong, but also because their primary demographic is still kids, and to an over-abundance of kids, things like Charizard, Garchomp etc are the coolest **** ever because they look badass. Hell, I fell in love with Garchomp for that exact same reason.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, you're not wrong, but also because their primary demographic is still kids, and to an over-abundance of kids, things like Charizard, Garchomp etc are the coolest **** ever because they look badass. Hell, I fell in love with Garchomp for that exact same reason.
Not all kids that’s for ding dang sure. Not even so few of them that it would be pandering to a minority. I’d be willing to bet at least 50% of children would like a more feminine design and think it’s way cooler then the bulky angles and huge muscles.

Shroob

Sup?
Not all kids that’s for ding dang sure. Not even so few of them that it would be pandering to a minority. I’d be willing to bet at least 50% of children would like a more feminine design and think it’s way cooler then the bulky angles and huge muscles.
I mean, you're gonna need to be able to prove that point if you're going to say half there, ya know.

It's like Yu-Gi-Oh. Why are there soo many Dragon/Warrior/Spellcaster archetypes in that game? Because that's what's 'cool' to Japanese kids, while the more female-oriented decks are mainly bait for otakus.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, you're gonna need to be able to prove that point if you're going to say half there, ya know.

It's like Yu-Gi-Oh. Why are there soo many Dragon/Warrior/Spellcaster archetypes in that game? Because that's what's 'cool' to Japanese kids, while the more female-oriented decks are mainly bait for otakus.
I refuse to believe that the mindset of children is so unanimous that the amount of them that would prefer a more feminine design is so low that it’s a percentage worth ignoring. People don’t work like that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It’s really fun, Yunan is hilarious and I didn’t expect boomer Grime. I can’t wait for them to get to Newtopia (mostly because I like the designs of the newts the best) but also because I wanna see what the season is building to.
I don't think anyone expected Grime to become a lazywashed-up has been, honestly. I certainly didn't myself lol.

I can't wait to see where the story goes. There's a much bigger world in Amphibia that we've yet to fully explore.

Shroob

Sup?
I refuse to believe that the mindset of children is so unanimous that the amount of them that would prefer a more feminine design is so low that it’s a percentage worth ignoring. People don’t work like that.
When I was a kid, I never wanted to go down the Barbie isle because "That's for girls!"

I was a 90's kid, and times change sure, but look at any monster collecting game nowadays and you'll find 3 very specific archetype of character design:

A: The cool, badass man/dragon/robot

B: The cute mascot/girl/boy

C: The overtly sexualized woman

Yugioh pumps out "Generic Dragon/Swole Man/Machine" deck month after month because they sell, because they're 'cool', while the female focused decks usually are more collector's decks unless they're pushed as **** to be Meta.

Another example of this is Digimon....

1596606468608.png

1596606517673.png

While Digimon still has plenty of 'cute' creatures... those are like, 99% the base forms and they turn into things like this.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That's historically what kids are like.

Things with more masculine designs appeal more to boys while more feminine designs appeal more to girls. sure there's a minority that prefer the opposite but it's always been consistent.

Especially in Japanese franchises aimed at males

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
When I was a kid, I never wanted to go down the Barbie isle because "That's for girls!"

I was a 90's kid, and times change sure, but look at any monster collecting game nowadays and you'll find 3 very specific archetype of character design:

A: The cool, badass man/dragon/robot

B: The cute mascot/girl/boy

C: The overtly sexualized woman

Yugioh pumps out "Generic Dragon/Swole Man/Machine" deck month after month because they sell, because they're 'cool', while the female focused decks usually are more collector's decks unless they're pushed as **** to be Meta.

Another example of this is Digimon....

While Digimon still has plenty of 'cute' creatures... those are like, 99% the base forms and they turn into things like this.
And why can’t it be different? Why can’t they try something else. Because odds are the kids will still like it.
AF64FE7C-C8E7-48C5-8824-910EBC77D7BD.jpeg
63300D8C-B352-4574-BE7D-4D89AD3869FD.png
B15874B0-6577-4B94-9345-5F5BF150FE40.png
5E80132E-E814-4DA6-BBA5-5F6931EA2A31.jpeg
A8CF9B48-2AE1-4AF1-BCA0-CA6292C397B3.jpeg
4A41978B-9054-4BFF-AFA7-4FB10E294E15.png
B19DBB7F-9C6A-4496-ADC9-EB071186D83E.jpeg

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This is the gajillionth time this convo has gone down. At least shilling for Smash characters can be fun, and you might learn about some series you never got into.

Shroob

Sup?
And why can’t it be different? Why can’t they try something else. Because odds are the kids will still like it.
You want the cynical reason?

Because what's working now is making money, there's no reason to change it.

That's not my opinion, but moreso the opinions of CEOs who look at their quarterly reports and see that sales numbers are high and merchandise sales are high as well. Don't fix what isn't broken and all that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's historically what kids are like.

Things with more masculine designs appeal more to boys while more feminine designs appeal more to girls. sure there's a minority that prefer the opposite but it's always been consistent.

Especially in Japanese franchises aimed at males
except it’s not aimed at males. It’s the most popular media franchise in existence. It’s aimed at everyone. If ever any IP was.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You want the cynical reason?

Because what's working now is making money, there's no reason to change it.

That's not my opinion, but moreso the opinions of CEOs who look at their quarterly reports and see that sales numbers are high and merchandise sales are high as well. Don't fix what isn't broken and all that.
Except if you appealed to more types of people then you would make even more money. That seems like a pretty good reason to start messing with stuff.

Shroob

Sup?
Except if you appealed to more types of people then you would make even more money. That seems like a pretty good reason to start messing with stuff.
And then you run the risk of scaring your established fans.

You let in 100 people, but 1000 could leave. You make a small amount happy, but alienate an even larger group. It's a very delicate tightrope that most CEOs don't both with because it's not worth the risk to shake up.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
And then you run the risk of scaring your established fans.

You let in 100 people, but 1000 could leave. You make a small amount happy, but alienate an even larger group. It's a very delicate tightrope that most CEOs don't both with because it's not worth the risk to shake up.
Sighs. I guess your right.

Would have been nice if the conversation was just “Sorry Snake. That probably would suck for people like that. Cool design though. Might be an interesting idea to explore in the future. Here’s what I would do with it.”. Would have been really nice.

Shroob

Sup?
Sighs. I guess your right.

Would have been nice if the conversation was just “Sorry Snake. That probably would suck for people like that. Cool design though. Might be an interesting idea to explore in the future. Here’s what I would do with it.”. Would have been really nice.
I'm just trying to explain the "why" as to why they don't. In a perfect world, of course everyone could be happy and everyone could get what they want, but, we don't live in that world. The franchises we love are commandeered by CEOs who want to chase their maximum profit margin and will keep their ship on that steady course.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Because most kids haven't developed mentally to understand nuance.

what they DO understand is that if something looks "cute" then it must be a girl's thing and if something looks "cool" then it must be for boys.

It's actually really hard to strike a good balance between the two that a kid would understand, it's why Pikachu is so perfect of a design, it manages to be both cool and cute and gets the point across to kids.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We gonna just ignore Delphox, Serperior, and Primarina then?

I mean I’m a guy. I will always gravitate more towards the cool ass characters. Yeah that differs for individuals but cool ass characters are going to appeal to guys more than cute characters. It’s just how the world rolls. There are exceptions of course but there are exceptions to the cool rule everywhere. Nitpicking a specific Pokémon that you think should’ve been better just seems, well, nit picky. I mean they’re all cool designs but that’s not the direction they wanted to take with Grookey. And, so, here we are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom