• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Idk if this is a hot take, but I will say it anyways.

I’m very glad Geoff Keighley is the one who is running the VGAs. I feel like if it was anyone other run of the mill, corporate business suit, Call of Duty would be nominated every year.

Not only that, but he has managed to turn the event into practically E3 mini. As a result, the event is an absolute hype fest that I look forward to each year.
We owe a lot to people like Geoff, Phil Spencer, Reggie Fils-Aime, Sakurai and Doug Bowser.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Dunno what I'd vote for a lot of the TGA categories because I hardly play big AAA titles, lol. 99% of what I play is indie stuff, niche Japanese games, and Nintendo titles.

I think the only big AAA non-Nintendo game I played this year was KH3.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
The petty part of me wants so badly for Death Stranding to not win a single award after how painfully obvious it is that Geoff tried to squeeze it into as many categories as possible. Not happening, Norman Reedus already is walking away with the performance award alone, but a man can dream.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Smash got 3 TGA nominations including GOTY? Nice. I'm 50/50 on it winning GOTY but I'm 99% sure it'll winning best fighting.

Don't like how much Death Stranding has all these nomination with how new it is but whatever.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For the Game Awards, I'm not too concerned about the awards part, and out of the announcements, there will probably only be a handful that I'm interested in, but I'll still give it a watch. Previous years gave me the announcements of Bayonetta 3 and Psychonauts 2, two games that I badly wanted to see (I've been waiting fourteen years for Psychonauts 2!) but figured that they were pipe dreams at best.

If we get even one announcement on the level of those (or even just the fifth Fighters Pass character for Smash Ultimate), then I'll be happy. Part of me hopes that we get a game by Rocksteady Studios; they haven't done much if anything since Arkham Knight, from what I've seen. (though I'd also be fine with a DC game by Warner Bros. Montreal - I thought that Arkham Origins was generally pretty good)

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Right now I'm resetting for a Jolly Type: Null. Because Multi Attack was buffed this time around, I want to see if it's worth using now.
Edit: and.... got it as soon as I posted this.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I can't wait to see how TGA 2019 will top Joker's reveal as the jaw dropping moment of the show.

D

Deleted member

I was thinking of starting a YouTube channel but they’re ducking it up lmao
Eh, so long as you don't go overboard and blow up in popularity, you should be fine. This is coming from a guy that makes videos semi-regularly, usually being IRL skits

MooMew64

Right now I'm resetting for a Jolly Type: Null. Because Multi Attack was buffed this time around, I want to see if it's worth using now.
Edit: and.... got it as soon as I posted this.
I replaced the Corvisquire on my team yesterday with a new one because I saw on Serebii that it has a MUCH better ability than Unnerve available to it, lol.

I'm also using a Cramorant on my team because it's the dumbest Pokemon ever and I love it. I mean, yeah, I have a bit of an Electric type weakness on my team now, but I can't help it; Cramorant's stupid Gulp Missile makes me laugh every time.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
IDK if I’ll actually watch the Game Awards... I’ll likely just lurk this thread during it and watch everyone’s reactions instead.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
LM3 is a masterpiece when it comes to visuals, but I'm gonna hardcore disagree about Nintendo's teams not understanding HD development when Mario Odyssey, BotW, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing all look pretty fantastic.

Heck, Kirby is also pretty dang spiffy (although that's HAL).
A lot of those especially BOTW needed help by other studios
Aonuma said that it was like, they knew they wanted to try open world, but nobody in the zelda team had open world experience, so they called Monolith cause he had seen young monolith staff playing with it.

Zelda team- game design and planning, plus the physics engine

Monolith team- gigantic map and open world stuff

but they were STILL understaffed for the project so they hired over 300 third-party personnel to help and they managed to make the game wasting so little money that even though it had a 6 year dev cycle, they only needed to sell 2 million units to profit.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Y’know what I just noticed?

Look at the picture used for Link’s Awakening in Best Art Direction.

That’s the Smash spirit board event art from June!

MooMew64

A lot of those especially BOTW needed help by other studios
Aonuma said that it was like, they knew they wanted to try open world, but nobody in the zelda team had open world experience, so they called Monolith cause he had seen young monolith staff playing with it.

Zelda team- game design and planning, plus the physics engine

Monolith team- gigantic map and open world stuff

but they were STILL understaffed for the project so they hired over 300 third-party personnel to help and they managed to make the game wasting so little money that even though it had a 6 year dev cycle, they only needed to sell 2 million units to profit.
I mean, Monolith is a Nintendo owned studio, so I don't think Nintendo bringing them in to assist is a sign they're bad at HD development. It's just extra man power and experience.

Heck, the Wii U was their first foray into HD development and they did pretty darn well. Super Mario 3D World was and still is an extremely pretty game.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
This is what I voted for the Game Awards

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Game Of The Year
Astral Chain - Action
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Family
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Fighting
Untitled Goose Game - Fresh Indie
Untitled Goose Game - Independent
Tetris 99 - Multiplayer
Cadence of Hyrule - Score/Music
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - Sports/Racing
Beat Saber - VR/AR

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I mean, Monolith is a Nintendo owned studio, so I don't think Nintendo bringing them in to assist is a sign they're bad at HD development. It's just extra man power and experience.

Heck, the Wii U was their first foray into HD development and they did pretty darn well. Super Mario 3D World was and still is an extremely pretty game.
They still need the help including help by third party devs

WiiU wasnt great at all, infact that was nintendo at their worst. You can tell they were suffering from HD development when the first game they annouce on that thing was Nintendo Land and another NEW SMB game. The console was already at failure at launch cause nintendo had no real big games on that thing. They had to announced Xenoblade X and FExSMT(The teaser was literally the one they used to greenlit the project) extremely early because they had nothing else the time to excite their player base. The fact that they avoided almost a decade of HD development by making the Wii, a weaker system at the time was full evidence of them trying to avoid it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m buying a Mega Drive Mini for Christmas

Genesis does what Playstation doesn’t.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Y’know what I just noticed?

Look at the picture used for Link’s Awakening in Best Art Direction.

That’s the Smash spirit board event art from June!
Do you think the mad lad is hinting at a fourth Link for Ultimate?

I honestly can't think of a better choice to cap off such a fantastic selection of characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
People care about who wins an award at TGAs?

I'm just tuning in for fighter 5
I don't personally care about any kind of award show, but it's pretty clear Sakurai really appreciates the recognition, so it'd be nice just for his sake if it could take home an award or two. If not, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom