• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Super is weird to evaluate. Story wise, it's phenominal. Writing wise, it's really solid and can get very funny at times. The set pieces and artstyle make for a very unique looking game. And the soundtrack is killer.

And then you actually play the game.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hey folks! Just popping in again for my requisite annual Smash fixation.

I've been playing... Smash for Wii U! Dusted off the bad boy and have been having some fun. And maybe installed a mod or two to add some cool skins. Been really sinking my teeth into the single player stuff and I'm really enjoying it! It's fun to grind for loot and customs parts (provided you're in no rush to collect them all, haha) and create customs builds to enjoy and even use to grind further. Crazy Orders is super addictive, and the complete Master Core fight is still by far the series' best boss fight, bar none.

Right now I'm doing the challenge to get the Regal Crown headgear item for my Mii, being to clear Classic on 7.0 or higher with every character. And I'm having a blast. This game often gets slandered as Inferior Ultimate when I'm finding it to be a very distinct game when you get past the surfacemost level.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Not bothering with making a roster but if there was a Disney Channel fighting game, who would y'all main?

Bill Cipher is the correct answer.

Or Zach and Cody, that's also acceptable.
Showing my age a bit, but I would main any of the Gargoyles. They would be fun as hell to play.

Just saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. I loved it! It was a little long but it was ghostbusters through and through and it had so many cool things in it. Garaaka was cool as far as a new villain goes, Lucky and Podcast were in way more of the movie than the trailers and posters would make you believe. Peck still has no ****. It’s just good ghostbusters content and I can’t ask for more than that. It didn’t need to be more than that. I had a blast watching it and I really hope they get to make another one with this cast (though with less of the mom and Paul Rudd. The team that had chemistry in Afterlife was Phoebe, Trevor, Podcast, and Lucky. The non-legacy adults feel like third wheels).
I just saw it tonight too. Imo it was one of those movies that I can see not being well received critically, but still have Ghostbusters fans loving it anyway. The reviews saying that it resembled a theatrical cartoon episode pretty much sums up my view of it, though I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Ghostbusters always leaned into the more fantastical and silly, so it really fit the vibe of the franchise.

All in all, it still can be said that bustin makes me feel good.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Showing my age a bit, but I would main any of the Gargoyles. They would be fun as hell to play.

I just saw it tonight too. Imo it was one of those movies that I can see not being well received critically, but still have Ghostbusters fans loving it anyway. The reviews saying that it resembled a theatrical cartoon episode pretty much sums up my view of it, though I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Ghostbusters always leaned into the more fantastical and silly, so it really fit the vibe of the franchise.

All in all, it still can be said that bustin makes me feel good.
Honestly yeah. I can definitely see that angle of the movie, but I also read that that's what they were kind of trying to do and I also don't see anything wrong with that. I like it when movies are fun and aren't trying to win awards. This was just Ghostbusters being Ghostbusters, and if you have a problem with that... I think your priorities are out of whack.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If SEGA ever decides to bring back OutRun and Hang-On with new games, they should give us new renditions of Hiroshi Kawaguchi's original Hang-On theme and OutRun soundtrack and the soundtracks for Super Hang-On, OutRunners, Cool Riders and OutRun 2. And maybe add in music from other SEGA racing games, like Daytona USA.

And new music, of course.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I feel like games like the Mario RPGs help give the brand longevity if anything. It makes fans more invested longterm to see projects like that, but corporations take the path of least resistance and want to sand down the edges on their marketing mascots because it makes things easier to control.

I get that Super Paper Mario's weird setting and story might have been a stretch too far, but putting the kibosh on games like TTYD was shortsighted. Hopefully with the remake on the horizon they're moving past that mentality.
Super Paper Mario's story is actually one of the most universally-beloved out of the Paper Mario games, if not the entire Mario franchise, right next to Super Mario Galaxy. The change to platformer RPG gameplay as opposed to the turn-based battled RPG of the previous two games was what most people who weren't fans of Super didn't like about it.

This is something I've said it many times before, and I'll say it yet again: if Super had maintained the turn-based gameplay of the first two Paper Mario games and expanded upon TTYD's take on it but kept the same story as the final game, it very likely would've been hailed as the masterpiece of the series.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I remember getting Sticker Star for Christmas back when it first came out and just being really confused for the majority of my playtime.

Stuck with it, thinking it'd eventually get better...
And then I got to that jungle area that I swear takes up like a third of the game with how long I was stuck in there.

My dog ended up saving me by chewing up the game cartridge and making it unplayable.

StormC

Smash Hero
Super Paper Mario's story is actually one of the most universally-beloved out of the Paper Mario games, if not the entire Mario franchise, right next to Super Mario Galaxy. The change to platformer RPG gameplay as opposed to the turn-based battled RPG of the previous two games was what most people who weren't fans of Super didn't like about it.

This is something I've said it many times before, and I'll say it yet again: if Super had maintained the turn-based gameplay of the first two Paper Mario games and expanded upon TTYD's take on it but kept the same story as the final game, it very likely would've been hailed as the masterpiece of the series.
Yeah, but my point was more that we have had reports that Nintendo wasn’t too pleased with the direction of SPM’s story and setting, which was a reason they became stricter with the branding of Mario. Reportedly one of the other games responsible for this was Mario Strikers Charged.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

It’s funny cause Super was originally supposed to be on the GameCube and was kind of a spinoff. But it took too long and ended up on the Wii and people started perceiving it as a mainline entry and that shift in perspective changed the game’s fate entirely. And the fate of the series entirely.

But context doesn’t change people’s opinions they’ve been holding on to for multiple decades. I would know.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, but my point was more that we have had reports that Nintendo wasn’t too pleased with the direction of SPM’s story and setting, which was a reason they became stricter with the branding of Mario. Reportedly one of the other games responsible for this was Mario Strikers Charged.
Galaxy was as well, I think. Miyamoto liked Rosalina's story but felt it was an unnecessary addition to the game itself that made it too story heavy (to the point that Koizumi supposedly had to sneak it into the final product) and that, along with those two games, as great as they were, sadly contributed to various other Mario games getting less story and in the case of the RPGs, less unique characters going forward.

I really do hope these surveys and their results are a sign of Nintendo recognizing they made a mistake on those fronts and of the games returning to form.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Galaxy was as well, I think. Miyamoto liked Rosalina's story but felt it was an unnecessary addition to the game itself that made it too story heavy (to the point that Koizumi supposedly had to sneak it into the final product) and that, along with those two games, as great as they were, sadly contributed to various other Mario games getting less story and in the case of the RPGs, less unique characters going forward.

I really do hope these surveys and their results are a sign of Nintendo recognizing they made a mistake on those fronts and of the games returning to form.
Koizumi needing to sneak Rosalina's story in is a conflation of different stories. Koizumi worked on developing the story late at night but had no issue including it after presenting it to Miyamoto. This has been combined by people with weird Miyamoto hate boners with other stories of Koizumi talking about him sneaking things into Nintendo games.

For reference: The original story about him presenting the story to Miyamoto comes from an issue of Nintendo Power.

Koizumi sneaking other things into games:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Super Dimentio in particular has always stuck out to me as something current-day Nintendo would NEVER greenlight (heh.)

No way they let Luigi - not some doppelganger, but the Luigi, get incorporated into something like that. If somebody even voiced the idea they'd probably be fired. Allowing such a marketable face to be associated - and well, be the literal face - of an entity like Super Dimentio would be anathema.

Shadow Queen Peach, too, but I think that's a bit less of an issue - she will be returning in a remake, after all - since it's a more cut-and-dry possession sort of deal, whereas Super Dimentio is partially - though of course only partially - fueled by Luigi's own long-held insecurities that were not of anyone's mind but his own, even if he's obviously not conscious of any of it

It also helps that Shadow Queen was already created before the formation of the wahoominati. A remake's a remake. I suppose the same would apply to an SPM remake if that ever happened.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You know, last time they did a Mario RPG related survey we got Sticker Star.
They also did surveys asking about old Fire Emblem games and the WarioWare series. Months later we got the English localization of FE1 (which you can't purchase anymore!) and WarioWare Get It Together. There is also the potential Intelligent Systems connection as they were all developed by them.

This isn't a smoking gun, but if you are a Mario RPG fan, I think there is reason to be slightly hyped.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
They also did surveys asking about old Fire Emblem games and the WarioWare series. Months later we got the English localization of FE1 (which you can't purchase anymore!) and WarioWare Get It Together. There is also the potential Intelligent Systems connection as they were all developed by them.

This isn't a smoking gun, but if you are a Mario RPG fan, I think there is reason to be slightly hyped.
Yeah, like I said, I'm not really worried.

With the SMRPG remake selling 3.2 million in a month and TTYD remake likely to do just as well if not better, this survey definitely has an "okay, we're listening" vibe to it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's always funny seeing people talk about Paper Mario cause my experience with the series is just olaying the first game and going "Damn this game kinda sucks" lmao
I'm kind of the same way. I've tried to play through the first Paper Mario around 3~4 times, get about 70% the way through, get bored and don't come back. Not a bad game, it's just hard to keep my attention while playing it. lol

I think the only Mario RPG I've completed is Superstar Saga.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay so about Bam Bam, uh... he didn't drown. So I failed there. And the fruity pebbles is still in the bag too so that didn't happen either.

Everything I set out to do was unaccomplished and now I'm going to bed. Tomorrow's another day.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not bothering with making a roster but if there was a Disney Channel fighting game, who would y'all main?

Bill Cipher is the correct answer.

Or Zach and Cody, that's also acceptable.
I’d say I’d already done it for you but I’ve only done the cartoon side.

My mains would include Grunkle Stan, Luz & Amity, Suga Mama, Goliath and Darkwing Duck

Dukefire

Smash Master
Bro ain't no way the new Smiling Friends season opens with literally an episode jabbed directly at Scrimblos lmao.

Edit: OH MY GOD IT WAS LEADING UP TO A SMASH BROS JOKE THE WHOLE TIME
After seeing the clip, it all makes sense for gwinbly to end in that scernario........
A forgotten video game character for many years, now returns in a popular fighting game.
It is like how Banjo & Kazooie was until Smash Ultimate.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

one of the reasons I think Miyamoto should just retire and stop making decisions about games.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
After seeing the clip, it all makes sense for gwinbly to end in that scernario........
A forgotten video game character for many years, now returns in a popular fighting game.
It is like how Banjo & Kazooie was until Smash Ultimate.
The banjo parallel is even more obvious because they called his sequel Gwinbly’s revenge like Gruntly’s revenge lol.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It’s funny cause Super was originally supposed to be on the GameCube and was kind of a spinoff. But it took too long and ended up on the Wii and people started perceiving it as a mainline entry and that shift in perspective changed the game’s fate entirely. And the fate of the series entirely.

But context doesn’t change people’s opinions they’ve been holding on to for multiple decades. I would know.

one of the reasons I think Miyamoto should just retire and stop making decisions about games.
I think your reply to my post about Super Paper Mario here is a leftover from your first reply to it last night.

I also got the information about Miyamoto wrong, so my bad on that.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think your reply to my post about Super Paper Mario here is a leftover from your first reply to it last night.

I also got the information about Miyamoto wrong, so my bad on that.
Yeah. Glitch. Even though it posted last night it still stayed in my post box.

Also come on. It’s a well known fact that Miyamoto hates story in games. Especially in Mario. No historical revisionism can change that.

Top Bottom