• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Valley Peaks

• Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

• Helder Pinto

• TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Cat Quest 3

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • stitch

• Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Okay, hot take, but I'm unironically getting kinda sick of hearing "Scrimblo" being used as the go-to word for non-famous platformer games or platformer characters, or heck ,just platformers in general.

And I've barely played any 3D platformers that didn't already have famous characters like those made by Nintendo or licensed ones like the earlier 3D Spongebob games (and I've finished even less). The word is just becoming overused, imo.
At this point it's not even platformers, it's just "cartoony character I don't care about."

But yeah that's not the way Cashregister was using it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Marvel and NetEase are apparently working on a “Overwatch style” game but with Marvel characters. No idea on if legit or not. Here are some potential characters that were mentioned:
Doctor Strange
Scarlet Witch
Iron Man
Luna Snow
Groot
Spider-Man
Peni Parker
Namor

Edit: A new Marvel Game is getting announced tomorrow.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Marvel and NetEase are apparently working on a “Overwatch style” game but with Marvel characters. No idea on if legit or not. Here are some potential characters that were mentioned:
Doctor Strange
Scarlet Witch
Iron Man
Luna Snow
Groot
Spider-Man
Peni Parker
Namor

Absolutely nothing about this information is encouraging but hey, Luna Snow is there.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay, hot take, but I'm unironically getting kinda sick of hearing "Scrimblo" being used as the go-to word for non-famous platformer games or platformer characters, or heck ,just platformers in general.

And I've barely played any 3D platformers that didn't already have famous characters like those made by Nintendo or licensed ones like the earlier 3D Spongebob games (and I've finished even less). The word is just becoming overused, imo.
Preach!

Noipoi

Howdy!
I definitely get the annoyance with the Scrimblo meme. It seems forced at times, and I’ve seen it used to put down anyone who has the audacity to enjoy any colorful quirky mascot not named Mario or Sonic.

But I also understand that it was originally created in retaliation to the absolute whining that happens from 30+ year old Smash fans whenever they see a whiff of a JRPG character, and how that could be annoying for fans of those genres too.

So I guess the real moral here is that everyone in the internet needs to shut the **** up.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Doctor Strange
Scarlet Witch
Iron Man
Luna Snow
Groot
Spider-Man
Peni Parker
Namor

Given the timing, it’s definitely the game getting shown tomorrow. Has a lot of potential.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Given the timing, it’s definitely the game getting shown tomorrow. Has a lot of potential.
Considering the devs are behind Diablo Immortal a.k.a. the “Do you guys not have phones?” game, I’m skeptical.

Reactions: Z25

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like scrimblo because whether you use it negatively or not, everyone immediately understands what kind of character you're talking about that's not just limited to "platforming mascot".

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
A lot of people criticize Jun Senoue's music in Sonic 4 and Sonic Superstars, not because of how it was composed, but because of his use of the Genesis soundfont and the instrumentation.

I genuinely believe Jun still has some potential to compose Classic Sonic music. Listen to one of his compositions from Sonic Adventure, At Dawn (Speed Highway). It sounds like it could be for a Classic Sonic game.

That being said, if SEGA really wants him to make Classic Sonic music, then maybe he shouldn't use the Genesis soundfont. He may have to leave arrangements/instrumentation to Tee Lopes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tbh I think scrimblo just sounds cute. Like yeah there's the whole thing about it being a clapback against 'generic anime swordsman' from a specific set of Smash fans but it's just a funny little thing to say, I use it endearingly too, Penny's Big Breakaway is absolutely a scrimblo bimblo and I love her to bits for a recent example

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Litten is the fire starter for Z-A
Incineroar gets a mega
They make it even better
The meta is doomed

View attachment 387020
I was gonna be on board with this until Lockstin reminded me that Fifa is a french organization and how much the french love soccer. So now I'm convinced the lineup will be Snivy, Scorbunny, and Piplup.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I was gonna be on board with this until Lockstin reminded me that Fifa is a french organization and how much the french love soccer. So now I'm convinced the lineup will be Snivy, Scorbunny, and Piplup.
That's the combo that makes the most sense to me. It's what I'm expecting. But I also realize that whenever I expect something from Pokemon they toss me a curveball, so who knows.

Either way I think Snivy will be the grass starter, because come on:

That line is all over Kalos.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm the only one who loves Mandibuzz as much as I do.

So many people are just fine with it but don't love it, and Braviary generally overshadows it...but Arceus darn it I love this Pokemon with my entire soul.

To me it is the GOAT of all dark types, flying types and non-legendary Unova Pokemon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel like I'm the only one who loves Mandibuzz as much as I do.

So many people are just fine with it but don't love it, and Braviary generally overshadows it...but Arceus darn it I love this Pokemon with my entire soul.

To me it is the GOAT of all dark types, flying types and non-legendary Unova Pokemon.
You’re like the CEO of loving Pokemon people generally don’t think about much.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
You’re like the CEO of loving Pokemon people generally don’t think about much.
Oh yeah, that's actually a good point.

Tyrantrum is probably the most popular Pokemon in my top 10 alongside Blastoise and my top 20 has a few well-liked starters. Skarmory's also pretty popular and Furret has its Walk.

Aside from that though...in my top 20 alone
  • Genesect is probably one of the least-discussed legendary/mythical Mons I've seen and its movie doesn't get much love
  • Exploud kinda flies under the radar as an early-game normal type
  • Inteleon- bursts out laughing
  • Rhydon is pretty liked among gen one fans but doesn't get much attention outside of that circle, especially with Rhyperior
  • Meganium- bursts out laughing again
  • Delphox is pretty darn divisive
  • Buneary isn't even fully-evolved lmao
  • Gothitelle is generally overshadowed by other psychic types like Gardevoir, and even within Unova it's not discussed that much
  • Virizion isn't discussed near as often as the other three Swords of Justice from what I've seen (go play Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. DO IT)
  • Octillery...is just mostly there for most fans
  • Mightyena is another early-game mon that generally isn't thought about that often
  • And my favorite Pokemon Tsareena has the misfortune of being a grass type in Alola, where basically all the grass types are peak. Especially the starter which is widely hailed as one of the best grass-type starters along with Sceptile.
But hey. I'm attached to all these mons all the more due to their underrated-ness. I love 'em!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Tyrantrum is probably the most popular Pokemon in my top 10 alongside Blastoise and my top 20 has a few well-liked starters. Skarmory's also pretty popular and Furret has its Walk.

• Genesect is probably one of the least-discussed legendary/mythical Mons I've seen and its movie doesn't get much love
  • Rhydon is pretty liked among gen one fans but doesn't get much attention outside of that circle, especially with Rhyperior
  • Gothitelle is generally overshadowed by other psychic types like Gardevoir, and even within Unova it's not discussed that much
  • Virizion isn't discussed near as often as the other three Swords of Justice from what I've seen (go play Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. DO IT)
  • Mightyena is another early-game mon that generally isn't thought about that often
  • And my favorite Pokemon Tsareena has the misfortune of being a grass type in Alola, where basically all the grass types are peak. Especially the starter which is widely hailed as one of the best grass-type starters along with Sceptile.
But hey. I'm attached to all these mons all the more due to their underrated-ness. I love 'em!
I actually am an enjoyer of over half of these mons (Genesect and Rhydon down) so you got some taste.

There is also another user here that's Buneary's strongest soldier.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Most of these guys are actually pretty cool. Not my personal favorites but still, I guess you have semi-good taste.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I also noticed I generally get pretty attached to a lot of the early-game mons you catch before the first or second gym.

Yeah they often fall behind in the late game, but I get attached to using them so often pretty easily. Exploud is one of my top 5 favorites because ever since I caught it and started training it in Omega Ruby, I just loved using it so much that it ended up being my first Pokemon to reach level 100. It was the star of a team that included other all-time favorites like Skarmory, Sceptile and Mightyena. Also I just love its design, concept and movepool. Boomburst my beloved...

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, we all know my personal unpopular Pokémon.
IMG_8490.png

It would’ve been so easy for him to just be another unpopular starter that fades away into the background, like Emboar. But they put him in Smash and he consistently rules the meta so people are forced to pay attention to him, whether they actually like him or not. Some people even started to become fans because of that. Like a true heel wrestler :nifty:

Top Bottom