• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Noipoi

Howdy!
Illumination are gonna give y'all another shallow as **** movie but weird nerds are gonna clap because they saw Beedle and heard the Song of Storms
I agree the movie was pretty shallow, but remind me exactly why it’s a bad thing that fans of the series enjoyed catching reference to said series?

Dunno why that makes them weird nerds :drshrug:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Like I genuinely don't get it, Nintendo is aware that the critical reception for the Mario movie was pretty poor so why hire the studio known for making mediocre animated movies again and expect different results?
It made **** loads of money even though it didn't deserve to

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
MK12 looks neat so far, a bit faster paced than MK11. And it has vibrant colors. Kenshi, Cage, Sub, Scorp, Liu Kang, Kitana, Mileena, Raiden and Kung Lao are playable so far.

The assists in the game so far look like the OLD versions of characters, so Sub-Zero gets both roles, as well as old Kano, Sonya, Kung Lao and Jax. Hard to say that it'll mean some of those other guys won't get new versions either. Assists seem to work with fatalies and x-rays now. Also the screen turning black and white, while the characters remain in color is neat.

Storywise, Scorp and Sub-Zero being Liu Kang's bodygaurds more or less already is neat. It'll be interesting to follow up, at least spiritually that they squashed their beef in the MK9 timeline, though they kinda did in the OG timeline after MK4, but they weren't exactly bros either. Kitana wanting to protect Mileena but the latter being paranoid or suspect of her could lead to some stuff. And Kenshi looking for his family sword, but I guess he can see for now?

I hope a few other of the 3D characters get salty runbacks, cause really only Kenshi and sorta Frost get any fanfare, but if they get a do-over they might be cooler, y'know? MK4 fans got Tanya and Fujin too. I dunno I think Nitara or Darrius could be cool with a do-over.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I agree the movie was pretty shallow, but remind me exactly why it’s a bad thing that fans of the series enjoyed catching reference to said series?

Dunno why that makes them weird nerds :drshrug:
I mean I'm one of theose weird nerds that anjoyed the references, but I think the issue is that people think references = good movie and that's far from the case.

That said, idk what Schnee is talking about, Beedle should be in the movie or I boycott.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If people like references so much then why is no one gassing up Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker? That movie had tons of references

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Since when do critics not like animated movies? Last time I checked Across the Spider-Verse was sitting at 95% rotten tomatoes, it's all about the script
The only people that don't like animated movies are the Academy

If people like references so much then why is no one gassing up Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker? That movie had tons of references
Mario was just shallow, it wasn't outright dog**** that takes a dump over the entire franchise it's a part of because the director was mad that someone with actual talent resolved his dumb mystery boxes and left the door open for some actually cool ****.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Franchise-wide references are always nice, but you shouldn't base a movie just around that.

You need a good script and some depth for the entire film to be good. It doesn't have to a life-changing film, but as long as it's something enjoyable and relatable for audiences, chances are you've got a good movie.

Shroob

Sup?
As a star wars nerd, Palpatine coming back isn't that weird.

But TRoS just felt forced as hell.

That and, Episode 8 is just tragic in every way imaginable.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Again, I did enjoy Mario, I just don't think it's that great when looking at it from a critical point of view and it's not something I would show to my family of non-gamers who are all well past the age of 10

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm of the opinion that Rise of Skywalker was the only bad film in the sequel trilogy.

And even then, it had some good ideas. They just weren't realized well and it lacked a lot of necessary character development.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I have a lot to say about Rise of Skywalker so all I'll say is that regardless of its quality, The Force Awakens is an unnecessary sequel that wastes so much of the potential left by the ending of the OT in favor of just doing the same thing again. The whole trilogy is unnecessary in my opinion

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I liked John Boyega's character.

Hated how they sidelined him when he was hyped up to be the Han to Ridley Daisy's Luke, but I enjoyed his character.
I like that John Boyega is absolutely not shy about how dissatisfied he is with the way he was treated by this trilogy and agree with him on everything

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I like that John Boyega is absolutely not shy about how dissatisfied he is with the way he was treated by this trilogy and agree with him on everything
I mean I'd be pissed too if I was casted to play a big role in the biggest movie franchise (at that time) out there, only for me to get completely sidelined for a white dude that they want to be the face of the franchise instead (alongside the other minority character).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Mandalorian has been consistently great and probably the best thing about Star Wars in years. It still is.

I don't understand most of the criticism about season 3.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Zelda movie
Illumination are not suited for this at all. I don't believe any studio could make a Zelda movie work, but if one could, it's absolutely not them. I liked what they did with the Mario movie, but Zelda is an entirely different beast. I at the least hope that if it sucks, it's hilariously bad, like the cartoon or the CD-i games.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I released Spamiku music.

there's also "hello everYone !" (the "HEY EVERY !" theme) as a short on my channel, if y'all are interested.

the rest of the music is done too, I just gotta make art and videos. "NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO DRINK SOME" is next and its video is done but being saved for tomorrow.

the sprite of Spamiku herself in the video is kinda lazy, I wasn't sure how to make what I was imagining so I chose to just resize my Spamiku art and clean it up. I'll probably try making a proper sprite again in the future. Honestly, though, I still think it looks nice.

Credits:
-AevilJ (used their Spamton FLP as reference for a Spamton recreation, which in turn was used for this)
-Toby Fox (Spamton)
-Anamanaguchi (Miku motif)
-Lamaze-P (Po Pi Po reference in Miku's lyrics)

no I don't have Miku V4X just for Spantom Gee. Spantom

as for the movie discussion going on...idk I just like Mario ¯\(ツ)/¯ Illumination doing Zelda seems like it may not be the best choice though.

also I forgot to warn y'all yesterday: if you play modded Minecraft, be VERY CAREFUL! there's a malware going around; CurseForge seems to have eliminated it and Modrinth seems safe, but it's still best to make sure you're not infected. More info here:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So my Zelda movie predictions:

Ganon steals the Triforce of Power by "knocking out" the sages. Bad to the Bone plays as he leaves (audience has to know he's evil).
Link's is a bit of an outcast from the Kokiri, but he's in love with Saria. Saria rejects him, somehow that's the final straw and Link becomes a pseudo-incel for a bit. Suddenly, they're attacked by Ganon's troops and Link's the only one standing.
Zelda shows up, sees that Link did well fending them off. Training montage as Holding out for a Hero plays.
Hyrule's under attack. Zelda reveals her magical prowess. Savage by Meg Thee Stallion plays.
GIVE IT UP FOR THE LEGEND, AND ZELDA

Moral: Link learns that women are good actually

Last edited:
Top Bottom