• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Peter Pan is getting a horror movie.

First Winnie the Pooh, then the Grinch, and now this.
Reminder that, unlike Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan was always public domain

Still a stupid movie idea.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Disney isn't the original owner of Peter Pan, though.

This isn't any different than what they do, at least legally.
One is true to the original source material. The other is a perversion that exists only for the shock value. It doesn’t matter who originally owned it. It matters who can be trusted with a story after the author no longer can.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I don't want stronger copyright protections because of what Disney does when it gets its hands on copyrighted material.

osby

Smash Obsessed
One is true to the original source material. The other is a perversion that exists only for the shock value. It doesn’t matter who originally owned it. It matters who can be trusted with a story after the author no longer can.
For starters, Disney's story is far from being true to the original Peter Pan. It's not their worst movie in that regard but it takes a lot of liberties with the book's plot and characters.

Second, who decides that Disney is the one who can be trusted and the others are not? On what basis? Having more money to pour into production value and marketing?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If I recall correctly, many of the original version of the fairytale movies Disney makes, back long ago when they were made; they weren’t really for kids as they are especially nowadays, right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
If I recall correctly, many of the original version of the fairytale movies Disney makes, back long ago when they were made; they weren’t really for kids as they are especially nowadays, right?
Depends on the source material but overall no, actually fairy tales were usually seen as something suitable for both children and adults. Grimm Brothers even rewrote some stories to be more appropriate for the children (of their era).

iirc, it was only around the 1800s that fairy tales began to be seen as strictly children's literature.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Depends on the source material but overall no, actually fairy tales were usually seen as something suitable for both children and adults. Grimm Brothers even rewrote some stories to be more appropriate for the children (of their era).

iirc, it was only around the 1800s that fairy tales began to be seen as strictly children's literature.
I am pretty sure I meant before the 1800s, or is that not any different?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am pretty sure I meant before the 1800s, or is that not any different?
Still, I don't think there was a time when fairy tales were an "adults only" thing. There's a reason so many of them feature young kids as main characters.

I'm talking about Western ones, at least. 1001 Nights, for example, was widely considered too much even for grown-ups.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Someone hasn't read the original story to Pinocchio.

Dark as **** that makes the Disney film seem tame in comparison.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Someone hasn't read the original story to Pinocchio.

Dark as **** that makes the Disney film seem tame in comparison.
Pinocchio accidentally getting his feet burned while he's sleeping.

Just the mere idea that you're lowering your guard and taking a nap and then waking up to discover that you've lost something as important as your feet is quite an uncomfortable image to say the least.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pinocchio accidentally getting his feet burned while he's sleeping.

Just the mere idea that you're lowering your guard and taking a nap and then waking up to discover that you've lost something as important as your feet is quite an uncomfortable image to say the least.
Or Pinocchio killing Jiminey Cricket with a mallet.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Speaking as a pro preservationist, please do not push for more copyright shenanigans, that is absolutely not what the creative world needs.

I personally don't like these horror adaptations either, but please no, emulating and preserving things legally is already pain, please don't give companies like Nintendo or Disney leverage against us in the precarious position we're already in. I'm all for creators retaining creative control over how things are used publically and commercially, but like, Peter Pan is open domain, so...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I thought so. Disney made their versions kid friendly, so non-kid friendly versions of those tales aren’t exactly new.
Pfffft tell that to Pinocchio, The Black Cauldron, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Tarzan.

Granted still nowhere close as dark as their original source materials. Still very dark though regardless in terms of Disney standards.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, I don't think there was a time when fairy tales were an "adults only" thing. There's a reason so many of them feature young kids as main characters.

I'm talking about Western ones, at least. 1001 Nights, for example, was widely considered too much even for grown-ups.
What I meant, as Michael the Spikester said, was dark. That is what I meant. And dark stories aren't normally told to kids nowadays. Not that they were twisted, just dark.

But twisted or not, there may be a few times where there were some twisted versions of stories. If not, they could still happen anytime.

Don't take this as me refuting your point; it was SnakeFighter's point being refuted.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Pfffft tell that to Pinocchio, The Black Cauldron, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Tarzan.

Granted still nowhere close as dark as their original source materials. Still very dark though regardless in terms of Disney standards.
Well, mostly kid friendly, whatever. I was trying to compare the Disney versions to those original source materials from long ago.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
thinking about how the MCU wasted a minor Killmonger remix of the Avengers theme on What If…but at least it got released, unlike the Russian opera remix and the 2 60s Spidey theme remixes they made

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Took me two days to notice I didn't change my Halloween avatar.

Decided to go back to my all-time favorite and childhood character, Daggett!

Shroob

Sup?
Fairy Tales?

Boy, my favorite's Cinderella.

Remember how the evil stepsisters mutilate their own feet to fit inside of the glass slipper, then get their eyes picked out by crows for their actions?

For kids.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, apparently, while we are still on the subject and as osby osby said, the versions of the fairytales before Disney, original or not, were made for kids still, and remade as appropriate versions of them were made later. Still before that, even if the originals at least were for kids, there were still dark tones, so I don't think they were all sunshine and rainbows, but still for kids as osby said, perhaps.

That said, Disney did try to make their versions kid friendly. Try as in some of their attempts, as some or many (especially if we count villain deaths in many Disney movies) still had dark tones as Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester said. Just wanted to do a little summary of the above if that is okay, even if it is still imperfect in any sense.

Top Bottom