• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'm now doing a Grass-type solo run on Sun version. How else was I gonna get to use a Rowlet given my oath of always using a Tsareena? Lol.

Currently training up my new Cottonee to be caught up with my mighty Dartrix. I'm holding off on evolving it though until it gets Energy Ball...at level 35. Ouch.

I dread Kahili.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm still disappointed at Nintendo for not translating Japanese games when putting them on international NSO.

It's not that they can't as the international release of Sin & Punishment (Wii, Wii U, & Switch) had all of the menus translated.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just watched Lockstin's new video about the Pokemon Parody sidequest in the Like a Dragon games and it reminded me of the one thing that makes me not want to try the Yakuza series. The creator is a sexist who thinks it's wrong to fight women so there are no female enemies or bosses in the series.

You know sometimes it's right for a creator to have their creation taken away from them.

I'm not excluding myself, if I ever descend into some descriminatory madness then feel free to take away any and all IPs I might have at that point in time and give them to open minded individuals instead. I'll have lost the right to put my voice out there at that point.

Shroob

Sup?
I just watched Lockstin's new video about the Pokemon Parody sidequest in the Like a Dragon games and it reminded me of the one thing that makes me not want to try the Yakuza series. The creator is a sexist who thinks it's wrong to fight women so there are no female enemies or bosses in the series.

You know sometimes it's right for a creator to have their creation taken away from them.

I'm not excluding myself, if I ever descend into some descriminatory madness then feel free to take away any and all IPs I might have at that point in time and give them to open minded individuals instead. I'll have lost the right to put my voice out there at that point.
Isn't that more because Kiryu doesn't want to hit women and it'd be wildly out of character for him to do so?

As someone who's played a LOT of Yakuza, there are countless missions and side stories which are as far away from sexist as you can get, and straight up female empowerment.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Isn't that more because Kiryu doesn't want to hit women and it'd be wildly out of character for him to do so?

As someone who's played a LOT of Yakuza, there are countless missions and side stories which are as far away from sexist as you can get, and straight up female empowerment.
IMHO it’s still a pretty sexist mindset to have. True characters are not always reflective of their creators. But to not have any female enemies in the game because of this personality quirk about your main character is where I call bs. If anything, if I wrote a character like this I’d want to challenge his outdated notions in the story at some point and have him overcome this character flaw, or at least acknowledge it in some way. But to design the whole game around this character trait, which you decided he should have, that’s where I start seeing red, and red flags.

Shroob

Sup?
IMHO it’s still a pretty sexist mindset to have. True characters are not always reflective of their creators. But to not have any female enemies in the game because of this personality quirk about your main character is where I call bs. If anything, if I wrote a character like this I’d want to challenge his outdated notions in the story at some point and have him overcome this character flaw, or at least acknowledge it in some way. But to design the whole game around this character trait, which you decided he should have, that’s where I start seeing red, and red flags.
I mean, no offense, but would you call Mario a hero if he hauled off and decked Princess Peach outside of Smash Bros? No, you'd call him a ****.

Kiryu's supposed to be an upstanding guy with a strong moral core, and, I dunno about you but hitting women doesn't make an upstanding individual, ya know?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, no offense, but would you call Mario a hero if he hauled off and decked Princess Peach outside of Smash Bros? No, you'd call him a ****.

Kiryu's supposed to be an upstanding guy with a strong moral core, and, I dunno about you but hitting women doesn't make an upstanding individual, ya know?
The thing that makes you an upstanding person is not hurting innocent people regardless of gender. If peach turned evil and attacked him, yeah Mario would be the hero for hitting her in that situation. And he’s not less of a hero for hurting Cackletta or the Shadow Group or ****ing Birdo.

And this idea that we can’t even have an evil woman in the game attack him and have him fight back because “that would be morally wrong” and the creator won’t even let him in fighting games where the point is fighting as a competition, fighting for sport and not the sake of pointless aggression, it just doesn’t sit right with me.

I’m not asking for Kiriyu to start beating up moms walking their kids home from school. But like… lady gangsters are a thing. He might come into conflict with them. If they attacked him would he just refuse to fight back? And again, the creator is refusing to let women be evil in the series so that Kiriyu doesn’t have to grapple with this issue.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wow you really want to see a guy beat the **** out of some women, huh?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Also like, women aren't really put into a position where they'd be fighting Kiryu, they're almost always his allies if they interact with him
There's only one major exception but the interpretation of that is that he's actually really only fighting Kasuga. Otherwise it's just one substory in Kiwami that pulls the "haha I'm actually a dude! Haha I'm actually a girl!" thing with a brother and sister where he's like "I don't care about your gender, you tried scamming and picking a fight with me" after the fact which yeah no that whole substory is a yikes all around.

Shroob

Sup?
The thing that makes you an upstanding person is not hurting innocent people regardless of gender. If peach turned evil and attacked him, yeah Mario would be the hero for hitting her in that situation. And he’s not less of a hero for hurting Cackletta or the Shadow Group or ****ing Birdo.

And this idea that we can’t even have an evil woman in the game attack him and have him fight back because “that would be morally wrong” and the creator won’t even let him in fighting games where the point is fighting as a competition, fighting for sport and not the sake of pointless aggression, it just doesn’t sit right with me.
There are evil women in the game though.

There are a handful of side missions and whatnot where a woman attempts to pin something on him that he didn't do like sexual harassments or something to that ilk, and he solves it without having to resort to violence.

And again, you're ignoring all the other stuff in the game which blasts a hole in your narrative which are about as pro-woman as you can get.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

There are a handful of side missions and whatnot where a woman attempts to pin something on him that he didn't do like sexual harassments or something to that ilk, and he solves it without having to resort to violence.

And again, you're ignoring all the other stuff in the game which blasts a hole in your narrative which are about as pro-woman as you can get.
I’d hate to say this, but I guess SnakeFighter is not so much of a feminist now, is she?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is just a weird conversation all around ngl.

Promoting violence against women on Smashboards dot com is not something I signed up for.
Yeah, same here. And I thought SnakeFighter liked girls. I mean, she is one.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I’m not getting through here. I believe you that this stuff exists. But two things can be true at the same time and I think this is a fundamental issue with the series. A woman can be a thug or a boss just as well as a man can and can be just as worthy of a Beatdown as one too. There isn’t some ineffable quality about us that makes us more deserving of being spared from violence and to say otherwise is outdated and sexist. You can do whatever else on top of that to empower women you want, but at the end of the day that core issue is still there. And I don’t think it’s ok. Doing all that other stuff is nice, but as it’s taken me a long time to learn, things can be good thing and bad thing at the same time and it’s worth criticizing the things you’re doing wrong even if you’re doing other things right. This isn’t a matter/antimatter reaction. They don’t cancel each other out.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m not getting through here. I believe you that this stuff exists. But two things can be true at the same time and I think this is a fundamental issue with the series. A woman can be a thug or a boss just as well as a man can and can be just as worthy of a Beatdown as one too. There isn’t some ineffable quality about us that makes us more deserving of being spared from violence and to say otherwise is outdated and sexist. You can do whatever else on top of that to empower women you want, but at the end of the day that core issue is still there. And I don’t think it’s ok. Doing all that other stuff is nice, but as it’s taken me a long time to learn, things can be good thing and bad thing at the same time and it’s worth criticizing the things you’re doing wrong even if you’re doing other things right. This isn’t a matter/antimatter reaction. They don’t cancel each other out.
I think you're kinda going off the deep end of conspiracy here Snake, going to be real with you.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is just a weird conversation all around ngl.

Promoting violence against women on Smashboards dot com is not something I signed up for.
Snake Takes (Woo-hoo!)

Every day I’m out here reading

Snake Takes (Woo-hoo!)
I’d hate to say this, but I guess SnakeFighter is not so much of a feminist now, is she?
Yeah, same here. And I thought SnakeFighter liked girls. I mean, she is one.
Oh my god. What I’m saying is fracking feminism! Women aren’t some fragile thing that need to be protected from violence at all times. I just worked out with some ladies who could probably kick Kiriyu’s ass if he were real. It’s not crazy to want to be treated equally. I do t want to be discriminated against, and I’m not saying husbands beating their wives is ok because I want women in a video game to be portrayed as just as strong and capable of the same things as men.

It’s not promoting violence against women for Ryu to fight Chun-Li. It’s not promoting violence against women for Guy and Cody to fight Poison and Roxy. It’s not violence against women for the friggin Battletoads to fight the dark queen or for Banjo and Kazooie to fight Gruntilda. And it’s not promoting violence against women to have female thugs and bosses in Yakuza. In fact, having none in that series is saying we’re some fragile other thing that needs to be protected, even when we do something wrong. And it’s not ok!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Only one person has truly beaten Kiryu and it's an old woman with purple hair and a Leopard sweater.
Also his creators were fine with him hitting women in PXZ2.

Kiryu doesn't hit women because the mission statement of the LaD series is all about hot blooded dumbass men. Who's the sort of person to see a dude built like a gorilla walking down the streets and think "yeah I'm gonna fight that guy?"
A ****ing dumbass testosterone fueled man.

Also he learns his most OP not-DoD style in Yakuza 0 from a woman.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh my god. What I’m saying is fracking feminism! Women aren’t some fragile thing that need to be protected from violence at all times. I just worked out with some ladies who could probably kick Kiriyu’s ass if he were real. It’s not crazy to want to be treated equally. I do t want to be discriminated against, and I’m not saying husbands beating their wives is ok because I want women in a video game to be portrayed as just as strong and capable of the same things as men.

It’s not promoting violence against women for Ryu to fight Chun-Li. It’s not promoting violence against women for Guy and Cody to fight Poison and Roxy. It’s not violence against women for the friggin Battletoads to fight the dark queen or for Banjo and Kazooie to fight Gruntilda. And it’s not promoting violence against women to have female thugs and bosses in Yakuza. In fact, having none in that series is saying we’re some fragile other thing that needs to be protected, even when we do something wrong. And it’s not ok!
You're kinda forgetting that

There AREN'T female Yakuza. The Yakuza as an organized group is 100% men outside of like, spouses and concubines.

If you're going to get mad at anyone here, get mad at the Japanese crimelords who originally conceived the idea in the first place. Just don't get your finger cut off in the process. :drshrug:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Agreed.

SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I mean, how would YOU like it if a man hit you?
I fight men all the time in my Mui Thai classes! I get punched plenty! And I’m semi serious about fighting Noipoi Noipoi pro-wrestling style. The problem isn’t me being hot because I’m a woman, the problem is being hit for no reason regardless of gender. Like sheesh, I don’t think this is something I should have to argue.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I did not say you or women were fragile, Snake. Plus, the thing with Kiryu is that that is how the creator of his series wants it to be.

it is called chivalry, Snake. You are going off the deep end, by the way, as Shroob said.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

There AREN'T female Yakuza. The Yakuza as an organized group is 100% men outside of like, spouses and concubines.

If you're going to get mad at anyone here, get mad at the Japanese crimelords who originally conceived the idea in the first place. Just don't get your finger cut off in the process. :drshrug:
Ok but the Yakuza series isn’t 100% based in reality either. You fight construction equipment that roars like a t-rex and there are dozens of other examples of Yakuza being goofy and unrealistic. I don’t think anyone would really care. I mean they would now because this mindset has been in the community for years now and people hate change. But at the beginning I don’t think people would care.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ok but the Yakuza series isn’t 100% based in reality either. You fight construction equipment that roars like a t-rex and there are dozens of other examples of Yakuza being goofy and unrealistic. I don’t think anyone would really care. I mean they would now because this mindset has been in the community for years now and people hate change. But at the beginning I don’t think people would care.
Snake, this is a minor thing, and you’re stretching it. Let it go.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like you're gonna be stubborn Snake on this despite what both me and Schnee117 Schnee117 have been telling you so like, gonna be brutally honest with you dear, we know you've dug your heels in and am not going to budge an inch from this, so what's the point of going on?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Or do. The Doog demands a sacrifice.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know

Sometimes I wonder if there really is a god above, or if there's some AI controlling the matrix or something

Cause ain't no way we had this conversation, and right as I'm taking out the trash, the cops are putting the cuffs on some red in the face guy screaming "She hit me first!"

Ain't no way that's a coincidence.

Top Bottom