• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
All I'm saying y'all is that I think Absol's voice in the anime sounds really cool lol

Anyway, on another note...

I recently had a dream where a PMD game came out, and the main story's villain and final boss was...a Gligar.

A single, unevolved, rather obnoxious Gligar.

Shroob

Sup?
God

I was looking for an old Ridley/K.Rool video that were to celebrate them getting into Smash the other day back from 2018, and while I found the channel, seems like both videos were killed for copyright reasons...

But then I decided to look through the dude's channel and

Hoo boy they're a certified "Smash Bros fan".

The four horsemen of Smash Brothers fans:

Fire Emblem hate rants

Grinch Leak Propoganda

Steve hate rants

Saying "Geno is the reason the west has RPGs at all."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
God

I was looking for an old Ridley/K.Rool video that were to celebrate them getting into Smash the other day back from 2018, and while I found the channel, seems like both videos were killed for copyright reasons...

Fire Emblem hate rants

Grinch Leak Propoganda

Steve hate rants

The guy who did "NO DREAM TOO BIG" Ridley video, right?

I was looking for both videos as well as the more tongue-in-cheek Isabelle one the other day, myself. Was surprised and disappointed to learn that the videos were gone.

Hearing that the guy is legitimately toxic just makes it even more disappointing.

Shroob

Sup?
The guy who did "NO DREAM TOO BIG" Ridley video, right?

I was looking for both videos as well as the more tongue-in-cheek Isabelle one the other day, myself. Was surprised and disappointed to learn that the videos were gone.

Hearing that the guy is legitimately toxic just makes it even more disappointing.
That'd be the one yeah. The K.Rool video was legit peak, but.... yeah.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That'd be the one yeah. The K.Rool video was legit peak, but.... yeah.
Agreed. And I don't even remember the title of it any more because it's been a while since I had last watched it.

I've only ever played a single FE game so far (Awakening) and I don't get the hate for the newcomers it's gotten. The Steve rants are also getting old.

Like, you're free to like and dislike them as well as every other character or franchise in Smash, but none of them are factually bad additions that ruined the essence of the game or magically stole slots from other characters lmao.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Agreed. And I don't even remember the title of it any more because it's been a while since I had last watched it.

I've only ever played a single FE game so far and I don't get the hate for it. The Steve rants are also getting old.

Like, you're free to like and dislike them as well as every other character or franchise in Smash, but none of them are factually bad additions that ruined the essence of the game or magically stole slots from other characters lmao.
It's this perceived notion that Fire Emblem gets special treatment in Smash as opposed to other first party franchises.

And yeah, there are a lot of FE characters. But that's mostly due to good timing on the series' part. No one at Nintendo is thinking "Man **** Kirby, **** Donkey Kong, **** Metroid. It's all about Fire Emblem, baybee!"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I've only ever played a single FE game so far (Awakening) and I don't get the hate for the newcomers it's gotten. The Steve rants are also getting old.

True, but maybe adding characters like Snake did ruin the "purity" of Smash Bros. to some fans. :troll:

Shroob

Sup?

I'm pretty sure it was "No Dream too Irrelevant" or something like that, since the intro was reading a lengthy Gamefaqs post about K.Rool being Irrelevant

Only to BREAK IT DOWN to the sickest montage to the tune of Crocodile Rock.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's this perceived notion that Fire Emblem gets special treatment in Smash as opposed to other first party franchises.

And yeah, there are a lot of FE characters. But that's mostly due to good timing on the series' part. No one at Nintendo is thinking "Man ** Kirby, ** Donkey Kong, **** Metroid. It's all about Fire Emblem, baybee!"

Like I know you’re right but like… idk it’s just hard to break old habits.

You know how many people still call Smash “the kingmaker” like the characters that get into it are the most important ones in all of video games. I’m only now starting to realize how ridiculous that notion is but it’s hard to shake off that instinct.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oof. Things ain't looking too good for Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire.

4/10 on IGN, 45% on Rotten Tomatoes. Reviews especially aren't helping.

Probably should've just kept the franchise alone with the second film...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

You know how many people still call Smash “the kingmaker” like the characters that get into it are the most important ones in all of video games. I’m only now starting to realize how ridiculous that notion is but it’s hard to shake off that instinct.
We call this mental illness.

There's a huge swathe of characters NOT in Smash who are all extremely important.

Gestures extremely hard towards Master Chief and DOOMGuy.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

That phrase has been wildly exaggerated in recent years.

Now a character getting into Smash (and exactly how they’re portrayed in Smash) can have an impact on how the character is perceived and portrayed later on, that’s definitely true. Captain Falcon is who he is now because of Smash, you never see Diddy Kong without the Jetpack because of Smash. But like, the Ice Climbers aren’t cultural icons now dude. Mr. Game & Watch isn’t a household name.

What happens is that a character’s Smash appearance could influence how they appear in their home series, further cementing that version of the character in the minds of players.

Half the Smash roster is characters who were new and relevant at the time. No one’s saying Corrin is the most important character in all gaming history. That’s the fans freaking themselves out over nothing.

Smash Brothers is an incredible crossover. But too many people make it the benchmark of who matters and who doesn’t in the gaming industry, and that’s just silly.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Now a character getting into Smash (and exactly how they’re portrayed in Smash) can have an impact on how the character is perceived and portrayed later on, that’s definitely true. Captain Falcon is who he is now because of Smash, you never see Diddy Kong without the Jetpack because of Smash. But like, the Ice Climbers aren’t cultural icons now dude. Mr. Game & Watch isn’t a household name.

What happens is that a character’s Smash appearance could influence how they appear in their home series, further cementing that version of the character in the minds of players. That’s really the extent of it. A lot of people place more emphasis on it than necessary.

Half the Smash roster is characters who were new and relevant at the time. No one’s saying Corrin is the most important character in all gaming history. That’s the fans freaking themselves out over nothing.
Roy fans in shambles when Fire Emblem Echoes: Flames of Elibe comes out and find out Roy is actually Store Brand Marth and not Hotheaded Smash Dude

Shroob

Sup?
Roy fans in shambles when Fire Emblem Echoes: Flames of Elibe comes out and find out Roy is actually Store Brand Marth and not Hotheaded Smash Dude
Ya know, that makes me wonder if they ever remake 6 how much will they change.

Cause as someone who played 6..... god that game was boring.

There's also Lyn who, just wasn't in 6 at all because she didn't exist yet, but was in 7, the prequel.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Remember that time Star Vs the Forces of Evil did an entire episode about Star sniffing Marco's hoodie?
Remember the time Star severed the connection between dimensions, destroyed all magic in the multiverse, and killed perhaps billions of magic-based life forms (who were shown to have lives and personalities and families) all because she wanted a taste of Marco’s burrito?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

What happens is that a character’s Smash appearance could influence how they appear in their home series, further cementing that version of the character in the minds of players.

Smash Brothers is an incredible crossover. But too many people make it the benchmark of who matters and who doesn’t in the gaming industry, and that’s just silly.
Yeah. Like I said, I’m starting to ditch the mentality. But I thought about Smash that way for 6 years (the release of smash 4 when I got into it to the reveal/release of Byleth) so it’s kind of hard to shake unless I put effort into it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ya know, that makes me wonder if they ever remake 6 how much will they change.

Cause as someone who played 6..... god that game was boring.

There's also Lyn who, just wasn't in 6 at all because she didn't exist yet, but was in 7, the prequel.
Considering how SoV was overly faithful to Gaiden's awful map design, made parts of the story worse and how Roy is in FEH...
Maybe they'll make it so Roy has better growths and can get extra levels before his ultra late promotion so he doesn't ****ing die if a mage so much as looks at him but he isn't beating the boring allegations.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Remember the time Star severed the connection between dimensions, destroyed all magic in the multiverse, and killed perhaps billions of magic-based life forms (who were shown to have lives and personalities and families) all because she wanted a taste of Marco’s burrito?
She was also trying to prevent a genocide.

By causing countless more genocides.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Remember that time Star Vs the Forces of Evil did an entire episode about Star sniffing Marco's hoodie?
She was also trying to prevent a genocide.

By causing countless more genocides.
crazy how hard Star fell off

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
crazy how hard Star fell off
There are a lot of shows I like that I think get overblown or irrational criticism, but Star's 4th season is one case I'll always agree with rather than defend.

Far as I'm concerned, the series ended after Cornoration (and even that episode wasn't without it's problems) and everything beyond that is non-canon.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
God

Fire Emblem hate rants

Grinch Leak Propoganda

Steve hate rants

I think I knkw who you're talking about.

So did the Ninjas kill him or did the Music Copyright Mafia strike him.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Considering how SoV was overly faithful to Gaiden's awful map design, made parts of the story worse and how Roy is in FEH...
Maybe they'll make it so Roy has better growths and can get extra levels before his ultra late promotion so he doesn't ****ing die if a mage so much as looks at him but he isn't beating the boring allegations.
Nah, they're gonna make it canon that Roy's terrible growths and late promotions were inherited by Eliwood.

Yeah he's his fathers kid for sure.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Top Bottom