• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
That's a bit weird, since I don't think it would matter if the person is PoC or not as long they have a fitting voice for the character.
The long and short of it IMO is that PoC voice actors tend to be treated somewhat unfavorably and not get the work they deserve when it comes to the gigs they get - and PoC roles are oftentimes the best chance they have at gaining visibility. I feel like a lot of the "as long as it sounds right" talk comes from an implicit assumption that we're in a perfectly balanced industry where everyone gets the roles they deserve, but that's not really the case

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Really the whole thing about diversity amd voice acting boils down to "Why do you have POC characters but then not a single POC actor?" Like I know people bring up Phil Lamar but he's more of an outlier, like for every Phil Lamar there's 20 more white actors taking roles for POC characters. And tbh, the whole thing wouldn't be an issue if they weren't causually (or sometimes blatantly) discriminated against by casting agencies and studio auditions, like from my understanding it's super tough for them to find a role no matter how talented they are.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The counterpoint to the voice actor thing is that now voice actors of all races have less roles.

As shown by ProZD who's a professional voice actor who has complained that he's only allowed to play asian characters now.
Well that's not entirely true.

He voices Vaseraga in Granblue Versus 1 and 2

1700460251571.png

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't expect to get sad over Dodo's backstory in SMRPG of all characters...

There's two logs for him in the bestiary.

"He imprinted on Valentina when he was hatched and thought she was his mother. He was shocked to discover he was secretly prince of Nimbus Land." "He resents Valentina, who's not his real parent, and took it out on some of her statues. But ultimately, he can't ignore his debt to her for raising him."

This remake is incredible.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I sometimes wonder the competency of some people.

Was ****posting with some people about a fake Yugioh tournament that was banned in the Vatican, which supposedly caused the cancellation of all cards printed in Latin, and some person who wasn't part of the original ****post came in and started arguing "No, that's wrong, they still have cards here in Brazil."

My brother in Christ the Vatican isn't in Latin America, it's in Rome.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I sometimes wonder the competency of some people.

Was ****posting with some people about a fake Yugioh tournament that was banned in the Vatican, which supposedly caused the cancellation of all cards printed in Latin, and some person who wasn't part of the original ****post came in and started arguing "No, that's wrong, they still have cards here in Brazil."

My brother in Christ the Vatican isn't in Latin America, it's in Rome.
I want to believe this is a reading comprehension issue as in they saw the word "Latin", assumed it was about Latin America and started typing a reply without bothering to read the rest of the post.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well that's not entirely true.

He voices Vaseraga in Granblue Versus 1 and 2

View attachment 380863
It’s moreso that he’s starting to be pigeonholed into only playing Asian characters by certain creators, he was asked to just read for said Asian character and was denied when he asked to read for some of the other characters

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy Mamboo07 Mamboo07

Have ya guys watched the first two episodes of Monarch: Legacy of Monsters yet?
I liked the first episode so far. The swapping back and forth between eras threw me for a loop but I really liked the Skull Island additions. Thought it was cool that we “didn’t see everything” in Kong.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I liked the first episode so far. The swapping back and forth between eras threw me for a loop but I really liked the Skull Island additions. Thought it was cool that we “didn’t see everything” in Kong.
I'll be honest. I didn't think they'd actually have the show having so much monsters in it let alone featuring Godzilla lots. It really exceeded my expectations especially how interconnected it is with G14 and K:SI. Can't wait for this weeks episode! :D

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Today's art piece is a bit of original work. I've shared art of this character before, but I never showed him off without the mask. So here's the first pass on that, I'll probably re-adjust the hair at another point in time.

Here's the cropped version, it's less high quality, but if you don't want to click a link to see, you can get a look here.

DNFM CROP 1.jpg

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know we’re supposed to Drill Daisy and all that, but Bubble Daisy is an amazing sight. Excellent color scheme and everything (that and the bubble power up is hella busted)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I also got all the characters in DBZ Budokai 3. Trying to nab Saibaman and Cell Jr. in the Dragon Arena was annoying, but aside from that, not too much BS. And I beat all Z difficulties. So right now it's just tourney mode grinding for cash to get all the Ultimates.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll be honest. I didn't think they'd actually have the show having so much monsters in it let alone featuring Godzilla lots. It really exceeded my expectations especially how interconnected it is with G14 and K:SI. Can't wait for this weeks episode! :D
I was pleasantly surprised by that as well. I hope they didn’t front load everything but so far I’m genuinely impressed with how much budget they put into it. It’s definitely got my intrigue.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I was at a store today looking for Christmas gift ideas and one thing I saw was a Star Wars advent calendar.

Unless I was going crazy, it looked like it was actually referencing that accursed Star Wars Holiday Special

* Vietnam flashbacks kicks in *

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Walking Dead: Destinies apparently just released.

After seeing some gameplay footage, I'm not waiting for the inevitable developer apology note to the playerbase about how the game wasn't released in the quality state they wanted it or fans expected it to be in.

Top Bottom