• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean I think racial slurs are technically already covered on the ToS, so I guess they just do a terrible job at enforcing it.

With that said I doubt we'll actually see anything done about the word "simp" either.
Considering Simp is more or less the cornerstone to this vtuber ****, will be interest what happens if Twitch seriously enforces this lol.

Shroob

Sup?
Just to point out, Geno's concept isn't gun for a hand. He's a puppet who can transform parts of his body into guns, or even literally turn into a cannon. He's more comparable to a Jianshi than having an actual gun hand. You could also compare him to the puppets used in Naruto in some ways, namely the weapon abilities.

He does fit MIi Gunner rather well due to having a gun-focused set of abilities, though.

I haven't seen the mods, so I don't know if they're actually accurate to Geno's proper animations or not. Mii Gunner definitely isn't, but almost no Mii costume is really that accurate to the animations. The Premiums are closer, but they still have to force unrelated moves.
You're not wrong per se, but Sakurai's main draw to the character was

Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.

Sakurai's stated reason for him originally really was as simple as: "Lol gun arm cool".

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
To get ready for more Final Fantasy VII stuff tomorrow, I had to rewatch Oney's Pointy Bits cartoon.

The video is seven years old and that **** is still hilarious.
Marth: "I hate to sound cynical, but this *****'s going to kill us!"

Cloud: "Nah! He just looks big! WE'LL SHOW HIM!"

*Throws sword at Galeem

D

Deleted member

Am i the only person that sometimes listens to music at 2x speed, just for the hell of it? Some tracks honestly get better even with the slight compression

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except none of them have had long lasting large amounts of vocal support like Geno has.
And two who have appeared in the most games(Pig Ganon aside since he's kind of in Smash, and at least a boss now too) have inconsistent designs and/or aren't that popular enough for people to get behind.

Impa has a lot of popularity, but she has over 5 canon designs. Who do you choose?

Tingle is popular, yes, but still gets enough Western hate to be an issue. He only has two core designs, and literally only one game where he was hated(Wind Waker, and it's pretty justified for that game).

The rest often have larger roles(though only Tingle has his own games. At least ones Nintendo acknowledges. Unlike the CD-i ones, where Zelda was playable) but don't show up till spin-offs, or other kinds of issues. Getting a large group behind one is not easy.

You're not wrong per se, but Sakurai's main draw to the character was

Sakurai's stated reason for him originally really was as simple as: "Lol gun arm cool".
I mean, to be fair... he simply got it wrong, heh. But yeah, it's not hard to see why people misunderstand the character. This is also why some don't see why the costume is bad, because they don't look far enough into and go with Sakurai's word. And that's not counting that every costume is created as stuff for the fans to enjoy.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Everyone. I am getting Steam games soon.

What Steam games do I get??? What games are amazing??? Please inform me.
-Undertale
-Cuphead (and his pal Mugman)
-Garry's Mod
-Portal and Portal 2
-The Henry Stickmin Collection
-Scribblenauts Unlimited
-FNaF Worl- oh wait, that one isn't on the store anymore...
-A Hat in Time
-Spore

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If we don't get Deluxe Geno tomorrow, I would not be opposed to a Sora one.

I would love to see black mage as the deluxe costume though. He's a cool character and was great in super smash flash, so getting a costume would be hype.

Shroob

Sup?
And two who have appeared in the most games(Pig Ganon aside since he's kind of in Smash, and at least a boss now too) have inconsistent designs and/or aren't that popular enough for people to get behind.

Impa has a lot of popularity, but she has over 5 canon designs. Who do you choose?

Tingle is popular, yes, but still gets enough Western hate to be an issue. He only has two core designs, and literally only one game where he was hated(Wind Waker, and it's pretty justified for that game).

The rest often have larger roles(though only Tingle has his own games. At least ones Nintendo acknowledges. Unlike the CD-i ones, where Zelda was playable) but don't show up till spin-offs, or other kinds of issues. Getting a large group behind one is not easy.

I mean, to be fair... he simply got it wrong, heh. But yeah, it's not hard to see why people misunderstand the character. This is also why some don't see why the costume is bad, because they don't look far enough into and go with Sakurai's word. And that's not counting that every costume is created as stuff for the fans to enjoy.
Bad is subjective.

Maybe it's just me, but given the choice between:

"My character will never be playable and not represented"
and
"My character will never be playable BUT be useable as a Mii costume"

I'd 100% take the 2nd option every time. In an all or nothing situation, I'd gladly pick the all over the nothing. Does it fully represent the character well? No, of course not, but the alternative outcome is "You get nothing".

D

Deleted member

Just saw Final Fantasy VII Advent Children as part of a Discord event.

Normally I would be all happy and Talk about how I found the movie... But seeing how not even my own family cares or wants to hear anything from my mouth, I'll do this thread a favour and not be an annoying pile of **** as my father would say.

Keep being happy and all that for tomorrow I guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bad is subjective.

Maybe it's just me, but given the choice between:

"My character will never be playable and not represented"
and
"My character will never be playable BUT be useable as a Mii costume"

I'd 100% take the 2nd option every time. In an all or nothing situation, I'd gladly pick the all over the nothing. Does it fully represent the character well? No, of course not, but the alternative outcome is "You get nothing".
Of course it's subjective. I wasn't saying otherwise?

Fans of a character can easily notice if a costume has inaccuracies, and that makes it easy for them to not be happy. Non-fans often aren't aware of this either.

Which makes it sometimes a communication issue anyway.

Though I do wonder if Sakurai's statement is him simple not understanding Geno's full design or a translation error. I'm guessing he might not know Geno super well at that point or just simplified it anyway so people would buy the costume a little easier. Only very hardcore fans/knowledgeable people of it would notice Geno's a bit off(like myself, though in my case it's the knowledgeable part).

(By a bit off, I don't mean obviously the Mii face, but body designs).

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Normally I would be all happy and Talk about how I found the movie... But seeing how not even my own family cares or wants to hear anything from my mouth, I'll do this thread a favour and not be an annoying pile of **** as my father would say.

You ok?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Almost finish my run or re-watching my Angry Beavers, my favorite childhood show. Such a nostalgic ride its been so far now that I'm on its final season.

Shroob

Sup?
Of course it's subjective. I wasn't saying otherwise?

Fans of a character can easily notice if a costume has inaccuracies, and that makes it easy for them to not be happy. Non-fans often aren't aware of this either.

Which makes it sometimes a communication issue anyway.

Though I do wonder if Sakurai's statement is him simple not understanding Geno's full design or a translation error. I'm guessing he might not know Geno super well at that point or just simplified it anyway so people would buy the costume a little easier. Only very hardcore fans/knowledgeable people of it would notice Geno's a bit off(like myself, though in my case it's the knowledgeable part).
It's very certainly not a translation error, considering PushDustin of Source Gaming is the one to translate it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's very certainly not a translation error, considering PushDustin of Source Gaming is the one to translate it.
He has make errors in the past(though few), but see my other points as well. Namely, why he would say something inaccurate. He either didn't know or wanted to make the point easy to understand, especially as Geno's costume doesn't actually have him shapeshift/etc. like regular Geno would.

Shroob

Sup?
He has make errors in the past(though few), but see my other points as well. Namely, why he would say something inaccurate. He either didn't know or wanted to make the point easy to understand, especially as Geno's costume doesn't actually have him shapeshift/etc. like regular Geno would.
I mean, I think at the end of the day, we all know that Mii costumes are just "You didn't make the roster but here's a bone for the fans".

I'm fairly certain Sakurai knows about Super Mario RPG and Geno's merits, the question is if he's worth the legal ****ery, and if Square would want him to basically represent them over much bigger characters. Like, no offense at all to Geno's fans, but if Square went:

"Alright Sakurai, you can have Geno....OOOOOOR you can have Sephiroth."(This didn't actually happen, it's just a joke).

I wouldn't blame Sakurai at all for going with option 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I think at the end of the day, we all know that Mii costumes are just "You didn't make the roster but here's a bone for the fans".

I'm fairly certain Sakurai knows about Super Mario RPG and Geno's merits, the question is if he's worth the legal ****ery, and if Square would want him to basically represent them over much bigger characters. Like, no offense at all to Geno's fans, but if Square went:

"Alright Sakurai, you can have Geno....OOOOOOR you can have Sephiroth."(This didn't actually happen, it's just a joke).

I wouldn't blame Sakurai at all for going with option 2.
It's also possible he misinterpreted Geno's design a little. It's not hard to think he has a gun for a hand with the animations too. Nonetheless, yeah, Geno was never going to be easy to get. It's from a game that has no clear sequels in sight, and re-releasing it has not been easy.

Jokes aside, we know that kind of thing did happen somewhat with PSASBR, which is why we got two Coles. It won't happen with Smash cause Sakurai is very adamant on getting what he actually wants for playable. I could see him negotiating for different stuff beyond that, but the content is clearly not as important. It's why I never bought into the idea Sephiroth was some "second prize". He's a prime pick on his own, of course. You know, the most notable JRPG villain ever, to compliment Cloud being the most notable JRPG hero.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's also possible he misinterpreted Geno's design a little. It's not hard to think he has a gun for a hand with the animations too. Nonetheless, yeah, Geno was never going to be easy to get. It's from a game that has no clear sequels in sight, and re-releasing it has not been easy.

Jokes aside, we know that kind of thing did happen somewhat with PSASBR, which is why we got two Coles. It won't happen with Smash cause Sakurai is very adamant on getting what he actually wants for playable. I could see him negotiating for different stuff beyond that, but the content is clearly not as important. It's why I never bought into the idea Sephiroth was some "second prize". He's a prime pick on his own, of course. You know, the most notable JRPG villain ever, to compliment Cloud being the most notable JRPG hero.
Man, none of the major playstation contributors wanted to work on PSAS, wasn't Crash too expensive to get for that game too?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Man, none of the major playstation contributors wanted to work on PSAS, wasn't Crash too expensive to get for that game too?
It was that or just a case of "who the hell are these guys and why should we give them our high profile IP's"?

A sequel wouldn't have helped either. The game didn't do well enough, from what I remember.

And that's ignoring things about people's opinion on qualities/how it works. I find the "use a cutscene to win" a very poor game design idea. It makes tournaments last longer as well, and makes it sometimes just boring after a while. I feel Soul Calibur 4 did it better as a concept. The final attacks were an option that you earned, but you could win through other means. Dissidia did this too, which is a turn-off to me. The game is still cool, but I really have no incentive to do much with it cause battles can last for an overly long time. To the point that even Sonic in Smash feels less annoying to deal with.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, PSAS had a lot of problems with studios not wanting to license their characters. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Lara all got denied and there were rumors circulating that they tried to get an MK character, Cloud, Snake, an RE character, and more but no one knows if all those are true.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

You'd be doing us a bigger favor by talking about it.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we don't want you to feel like you're unwelcome here. I value what you have to say and I'm sure that a lot of other folk do too. So please, don't feel like you're doing us a kindness by not talking about your issues.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You'd be doing us a bigger favor by talking about it.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we don't want you to feel like you're unwelcome here. I value what you have to say.
What's wrong? :x
I literally can't Talk about It all in a public thread, more so with Young people around.

We aren't talking about the usual serious stuff I tend to bring in... We're talking about "if law was more fair this **** goes to court" kinds of **** which has happened to me.

That's how ****ed Up these past weeks have been for me, and I don't know if I can keep myself from hiding It all.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Apparently the Internet thinks the default Gunner Mii is cute.
So, just out of nowhere despite it being in the game for quite some years now? Okay. Hopefully it stays with "Cute" and not the other thing.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So, just out of nowhere despite it being in the game for quite some years now? Okay. Hopefully it stays with "Cute" and not the other thing.
It's... been a thing since Everyone is Here happened.

Why? I don't know, but it's the Internet so what else is new?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I literally can't Talk about It all in a public thread, more so with Young people around.

We aren't talking about the usual serious stuff I tend to bring in... We're talking about "if law was more fair this ** goes to court" kinds of ** which has happened to me.

That's how ****ed Up these past weeks have been for me, and I don't know if I can keep myself from hiding It all.
I'm sorry :(
I'm sorry that you're going through this.
And I hope that you can escape your predicament. Praying.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It's... been a thing since Everyone is Here happened.

Why? I don't know, but it's the Internet so what else is new?
You got a point there. I swear I wasn't aware, back then I was too focused on Ridley to even pay attention to something like the Mii Gunner. But eh, nice to see some good fanart of her.

D

Deleted member

We aren't talking about the usual serious stuff I tend to bring in... We're talking about "if law was more fair this ** goes to court" kinds of ** which has happened to me.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom