• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've been making a decent amount of progress in Persona 3 - Fuuka just joined the party as the navigator, and while her analysis isn't as automatic as Futaba's, it's still a useful feature to have.

I've been working through the series backwards, and Persona 3 feels a lot more experimental than 4 or 5. The schedule feels a lot tighter, the party members are AI-controlled for some reason, and if you want to max out social links, then it seems like you need to cheat on every woman in the game, since one social link (the shy girl with glasses who shows up in Persona 4 - blanking on her name) automatically turns romantic by rank 5 (out of 10). (I'm assuming the others do something similar)

Also, social links can go backwards, which seems like a weird decision for a game that gives you a limited amount of time to do everything. I assume that and the AI controlled party members were done for the sake of realism or something like that, but it doesn't make for good gameplay.

I'm still enjoying it (Elizabeth is a highlight, and the party members are great so far, though I'm not a fan of Fuuka's voice acting), but I'm not sure if I'll work my way back to Persona 2.
Staff interviews with Persona 3 developers actually provide a lot of insight on some of the more out-there design decisions.

Social Links were initially planned with the idea that players probably wouldn't finish all of them due to the tight schedule and instead pick the ones they like the most. That's why all girls' Social Links are automatically romantic, it's the game's way of giving you the option to decide who is the "heroine". Obviously, most players found a way around that so they dropped this idea pretty quickly.

If you can power through P3, P2 (especially Innocent Sin) isn't actually that hard, bar the ridiculously high random encounter rate that all old MegaTen games have.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Staff interviews with Persona 3 developers actually provide a lot of insight on some of the more out-there design decisions.

Social Links were initially planned with the idea that players probably wouldn't finish all of them due to the tight schedule and instead pick the ones they like the most. That's why all girls' Social Links are automatically romantic, it's the game's way of giving you the option to decide who is the "heroine". Obviously, most players found a way around that so they dropped this idea pretty quickly.

If you can power through P3, P2 (especially Innocent Sin) isn't actually that hard, bar the ridiculously high random encounter rate that all old MegaTen games have.
Thanks; I figured that the Persona games had been getting more difficult as I went backwards through the series due to the quality of life improvements in the later games (ex. In Persona 4, the Social Links don't have the gameplay benefits that they do in Persona 5, unless I'm misremembering), so I figured Persona 1 and 2 would be extremely difficult as a result.

I'm not sure if I'll finish Persona 3 before the PS3 store closes, but if I do, I'll look into Persona 2.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
One Pokemon redesign I don't really see talked about a lot is Professor Burnet's

View attachment 347866
I mean, yeah she was relatively minor debuting in a spin off game and all, but damn did Alola give her the tan of the century.

Or GF just said **** white people like they did with team Aqua. Probably that.
Imma get slapped for this but she looks better with darker skin. Plus sHe got married to KUKUI. LUCKY GIRL

osby

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Persona 3, one outdated mechanic I wouldn't mind them returning to is fusion spells. Sure, they are a balance nightmare but Royal didn't have any difficulty, to begin with so it wouldn't be a huge issue. I even brainstormed a few they can add;

Sandman + Bugs: Sweet Nightmares. Light Curse damage to all enemies with a chance to inflict Fear or Sleep.

Cait Sith + Neko Shogun: Vorpawl Sword. Medium Wind damage to an enemy with a chance to knock them down.

Isis + Horus: Sun Crest. Moderately heals all allies and inflicts Burn all enemies.

Byakhee + Hastur: Dread Star. High chance to reduce all enemies' health to 1 with Nuclear damage but can inflict Despair on all allies.

Fafnir + Siegfried: Nibelungen. Heavy Physical damage to one opponent, causing them to drop money.

Baal + Mot: Yagrush. Heavy Physical damage to all opponents and can inflict Forget on them.

Alilat + Loa: Forbidden Murmur. Heavy Psychokinetic damage to all opponents and inflicts a random ailment on them.

Mishaguji + Mara: Heavenly Penetrator. Severe Gun damage to an opponent, reducing their defense.

Chimera + Quetzalquatl: Fiery Fang and Wings. High Fire damage to all opponents, ignores resistances.

Maria + Lilith: Sunset Shower. For one turn, all allies drain all kinds of damage except Almighty.

Belial + Nebiros: Black and Red. Heavy Curse damage to an opponent and removes their resistances.

Barong + Rangda: Unending. Severe Almighty damage to the opponent with the lowest Luck.

Sraosha + Vohu Manah: The Good Thought. Raises all stats, revives, heals fully, and cures one ally, while also making them immune to all damage for a turn.

Mother Harlot + Trumpeter: Revelation. Deals Severe Almighty damage to all opponents or allies.

Thoth + Hanuman: Monkey See, Monkey Do. Turns all buffs to debuffs and vice versa for all allies and opponents.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also, social links can go backwards, which seems like a weird decision for a game that gives you a limited amount of time to do everything. I assume that and the AI controlled party members were done for the sake of realism or something like that, but it doesn't make for good gameplay
At the same time, I feel harming social links can be a good mechanic, if someone I trust breaks that trust, then they need to earn it back, it makes you pay more attention to what you do so that you don't risk breaking your bonds

osby

Smash Obsessed
At the same time, I feel harming social links can be a good mechanic, if someone I trust breaks that trust, then they need to earn it back, it makes you pay more attention to what you do so that you don't risk breaking your bonds
Not sure if that's the way to go but agreed, I liked how some Social Links required you to read the room. Like how Yukari's SL reverses if you don't respect her boundaries and try to hug her out of nowhere which, as a bonus, made a lot of Gamers I know angry.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Come closer, it just wants to say hi

DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Wilder race:

1647527485244.png

“My name is Wilder Peallaidh. It’s a nice day out there, don’t you think? Pleased to meet you.”

Alignment: Dark-Neutral

Origin: Scottish mythology. A regional variation on the ùruisg in Scottish Gaelic tradition, which is itself another name for the common British spirit brownie. Although they are not water spirits, the peallaidh haunt rivers, lakes, and seashores, sitting on top of rocks at dusk and watching humans from afar. They have long hair, long teeth, and long claws. They prefer solitude in the summers but come near villages in the winter.

Skills: Axel Claw, Pulinpa, Dekaja, Diarama

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Drake race.

There are like 50000 names for spirits of the British Isles, which are all the same three things but not really. Peallaidh is a wilder kind of usual household fairies, and known to commit butchery, arson, and ravaging. Appropriately, the design given to them in SMT is quite scary, with a moss-covered body to reflect their habitat and an upside-down deck of masks instead of a face to max the creepiness factor.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So guys it's St Patricks Day and of course I'm gonna post one of my favourite clips from my favourite Irish show:

And no....................I don't drink but always remember. Never steal an Irishman's drink late at night.

Feck. That's allowed.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
MCU retaking in the affects

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
A random stranger in the union room helped me evolve my Machoke and returned it to me. I think my trust in people has been restored
Stupid liberals want everything handed to them.

Back in my day, when someone got a trade evo, they disconnect and keep it. Now people want TRUST?

smh damn gen z

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Stupid liberals want everything handed to them.

Back in my day, when someone got a trade evo, they disconnect and keep it. Now people want TRUST?

smh damn gen z
I was actually really paranoid for a bit that the other player might keep my Machamp for themselves but no, they gave it back.

That said I'm not taking my chances with my Graveler

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ah, FLCL is getting another sequel

And it's CG

I'm sure that combination will lead to healthy discussion with no anger whatsoever

Side Note: I feel like I was the only one to get any enjoyment out of FLCL Alternative and Progressive, like they weren't as good as the original but they were fun and they were a net positive because we got more Pillows music.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah!

I did it.

After multiples try & retry, I beated the Path of Pain in full.

and with that, I reached the Big Shot Sigma Grindset.

Never let your dream be memes.

Don't care that I used grub charm & hiveblood to do it.

Also I still have alot of hard challenges to overcome before reaching the REAL Big Shot Sigma Grindset & Knuckles.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
osby osby wanna go to the meat dimension

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah!

I did it.

After multiples try & retry, I beated the Path of Pain in full.

and with that, I reached the Big Shot Sigma Grindset.

Never let your dream be memes.

Don't care that I used grub charm & hiveblood to do it.

Also I still have alot of hard challenges to overcome before reaching the REAL Big Shot Sigma Grindset & Knuckles.
Heyyyy, congrats dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom